Survivor Caramoan (Season 26)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Sherri had a good game going pre-merge, she had control of her tribe, but once the merge happened she did squat. Unfortunately for her, the end game far outweighs the early game. I do have to say that she did a good job of making sure she was around for the merge, because she easily could have been booted before then.

2. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

I have to say that I didn't really care for Sherri at all heading into the final episode, but I think they were overly harsh with her. Imagine that Cochran took Eddie to the finals. Now, you know Eddie would have gotten a few (maybe even enough to win?) votes, and really-- what did he do? Sherri was in control of the very tribe that Eddie was on until the merge. If I were Sherri (or anyone in the final remarks) I would have brought that up in the same way that it was brought up that Dawn and Cochran played a similar game yet Cochran wasn't getting any of the slack for it.

Also annoyed with the reunion. They barely talked to anyone. Sherri was such an afterthought for being in the finals. She really must have been hated by everyone! I thought she looked very pretty, though. I guess that's something :)

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I don't think I ever quite realized until this episode how much self-awareness and respect for the jury matters at a Final Tribal Council.

Sherri, supposedly an uber-fan, might have been able to get someone's vote if she had (1) come up with a plausible argument why she was anything other than a goat that everyone else wanted to take to the Final and (2) hadn't yelled at Erik. Of course, she wasn't at that point going to get Erik's vote, but there were six other jurors there. Did she really think being rude to him was going to impress the other jurors?

Dawn, also an uber-fan and a previous player, came up with a couple of preposterous lies, namely (1) that the only reason why she was crying so much was that it was difficult for her to vote people she liked off and (2) she was lying to Brenda when she said she'd quit if Brenda didn't find her retainer. The video footage of her confessionals and of the retainer incident clearly shows otherwise. Did she really think that anyone who heard those wails when she was calling Brenda to come help her find her retainer would believe that she was in deep gameplay more? If she had been more forthcoming with the truth, she might have picked up at least one vote -- Malcolm's -- and possibly one or two more (Andrea's, for example).

Cochran, by contrast, managed to be both self-deprecating and respectful. I can see why he managed to swing Malcolm's vote.

4. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I agree that Sherri deserves way more credit than the jury gave her. If I were Sherri I would definitely point out her dominance in the fan's tribe before merge, and how she is after all on a losing team yet incorporated herself onto Stealth R Us to save her butt. There was no way Sherri could have call any shots on Stealth R Us so she did play the game with the cards that were dealt to her. Of course as a viewer who had no stakes in the game, I was so happy Sherri told off Erik and tell him to sit down. That was very satisfying for me!!

As for the Dawn-Brenda situation, I wish Brenda didn't follow through with her demand of asking Dawn to remove her teeth because it was uncomfortable to watch. Instead Brenda could just call out Dawn being a liar instead.

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I don't think there is anything Sherri could have done in Final TC to get a single vote from anyone.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Who gets second place when the final vote is a landslide? Do they split the $100K?

7. Vagabond

I read in a recent interview with Dawn that Sherri and she split the combined money for second ($100,000) and third place ($85,000), so they each got $92,500. Dawn cost herself $7,500 by not being able to keep Malcolm's vote.

8. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Its official, Season 27 Blood vs Water will be returnees versus their families.

From E Online:

Do we still need to spoil tag the returnee/relative list!?!

9. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Did she have Malcolm's vote at some point?

Not if it's been officially announced.

10. Vagabond

When he held up the card with the vote for Cochran, he said that he had thought at the start of the Tribal Council that he'd be voting for someone else. And if obviously wasn't Sherri.

11. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

D'oh. I thought that was Eddie, not Malcolm, since they cut right to Eddie putting his vote in the urn.

12. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I thought it was Eddie too... and Eddie could be that clueless to vote Sherri LOL.

13. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

In Malcolm's TC statement, he told Dawn she would have his vote as long as she presented herself well, owned up to her strategy and didn't use the adopted 6 kids as a reason to vote for her.

14. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Looking back at that shot of the non-Jury members in the audience, I realized that other than Shemar (because of his drama) and Corrine (because I knew her from the past), I have no memory of who those other players even are, what their names are, or even their vote outs. So I guess it wasn't that big a deal anyway. But still, just having to be all icky in the jungle should warrant you at least a seat on the stage. :lol:

15. Fridge_Break

Regarding next season:

Redemption Island is apparently making a return. :wall: That sound you just heard was me screeching while crashing my head through a window.

16. genevieve

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I may be over this show.

18. Vagabond

I think the producers are too. :shuffle:

19. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

I can't wait for Survivor: Hodgepodge, where they just throw every twist they've ever used into one season.

(And I would totally watch it.)

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

After you posted how you were simply DONE with this show?

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  21. genevieve

How come they never bring back the phantom tribe twist? *stomps foot*

(ok, I know I was possibly the only person in the entire universe who kinda liked that twist....but come on, admit that it was better than either Exile or Redemption Island!!)

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Phantom tribe??

23. Fridge_Break

Outcasts from Pearl Islands ;)

24. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

The only twist I have remotely liked is from Cook Islands when they did the Mutiny. And the only reason I like it is cause what happened with Yul & Ozzy taking their little tribe all the way to the end. The rest of the twists Probst and company have come up with are pretty bad and not really added anything to the game.

Not sure if I'll tune into Season 27 yet or not.

25. genevieve

thank you, I was having a moment and couldn't remember what they were called :saint:

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh that. I'm not big on players (Survivor or BB) coming back into the game in any form, inc RI, ghost tribes, audience votes, you name it.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  27. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I actually kind of liked it too - I do generally agree with Jenny that I don't like the concept of players coming back in the game, but the outcasts twist surprisingly turned out rather well IMO. Maybe it couldn't be repeated in that manner, but it was very interesting the way the players who came back into the game were able to worm their way into alliances and make it quite a bit further in the game. I also liked that it wasn't an automatic re-entry - the outcast tribe had to actually beat the other tribes to be able to vote anyone back in. The rest of the season played out with a lot of twists and turns and changes of power.

Redemption Island, OTOH, was just completely pointless. Both people who re-entered the game were immediately voted off again afterward and so I'm not sure why they would think this was a twist worth repeating.

I think that some other twists have worked well - tribal shakeups/switches are old hat now, but a massive shocker when first introduced in Season 3 and there are still many times when the tribal swap contributes to alliances changing and re-forming. The HII is also pretty old by now and while there are some seasons where it has no impact, some of the best tribal councils have come as a result of the HIIs, so I would say that on the whole, it has been a successful twist.

28. Fridge_Break

:sekret: It's used as a safety net for when the producer's favorites are voted out. It also completely hogs up a massive amount of airtime, and also eliminates all reward challenges -- boo.

29. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm re-watching a couple of the early seasons on DVD... the old school reward challenges were great. I miss the old Survivor.

30. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:shuffle: I don't remember what the phantom tribe twist was at all. :eek:

I like the HII's (as long as the person keeps their mouth shut about having it!!) but they need to work a LOT harder at hiding them! Unless its all in the editing, it seems all someone has to do is spend a day looking in tree trunks and under rocks and "poof" oh look I found an Idol! I think it was the early days of the Idol or something, but remember that girl on Redemption Island (I think) and she literally dug a trench from the tree line to the ocean trying to find that thing? They need to make them win clues to find the HII's or something but at least make them difficult to find.