Survivor: Blood vs Water (cast spoilers, don't enter if you don't want to know!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

This was the impression I got, too. Tina looked a little surprised that she was getting help and it seemed like a last minute plan of Laura's to get out the stronger competitor.

2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Must have been. Tina and Laura have both said on Twitter that they were not friends then, and Vytas certainly took it that Laura was trying to cut him out more than help Tina.

Laura thinks well on her feet. But if she gets back in the game, the others will just vote her out again, so I doubt it will do her any good.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Ah, OK I think you are all right. I guess I'm so conscious of the amount of stuff we're missing that I'm prone to filling in blanks that don't exist :lol:

4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

5. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Oh that is very sad :( may he RIP

6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking :(

7. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I really dislike how the pick a rock thing works. Why should the two people who were tied for being voted out, twice in a row, then be exempt from being voted out? If it is still a tie, then those two people alone should have to pick a rock, or do a challenge like build a fire or something small that can be done at Tribal, to determine who goes. I really wish it would have been Ciera that got the rock though, since she was the one who tied it up. Smart move I guess, but it would have been funny had it backfired onto herself. But I'm secretly glad it wasn't Tyson because I so want to hear his "vote for me" speech at Final Tribal, plus I want him to blindside everyone with that HII. I love it when people are smart enough to keep their mouths shut about having an HII and then shock everyone when they pull it out.

So when the heck does the Redemption Island person get to come back?! They miss all the good shyte that goes down at Tribal. :lol:

8. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

I agree with the rock vote. Should be between the two tied for vote off. Having said that, I wish Tyson pulled the white rock. Can't stand the guy in any way shape or form! I was surprised Ciera actually switched but clearly she could see she's #4 and not going to last with her current alliance. It will be next to impossible for H/C to break up the T/M/G alliance.

9. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I think they exempt the previously voted players so that the other players have more incentive to break the tie. If you know you are vulnerable if you don't switch your vote, you are more likely to do so and break the tie.

10. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I think you are correct.

11. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

Yes, I think they want the rock pick to be one of those last resort things. If the 2 people with the votes were the only ones picking rocks then I can see the voters purposely causing ties all the time just so they can try to keep their hands clean.

12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Redemption island makes it a little less risky, especially if you're someone who has faith in his/her ability to play their way back in.

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I think the producers do NOT like ties. I'm wondering if the fire-building challenge didn't move the game in the way that producers wanted, so they moved to the rock thing. And to push people away from making ties (which they don't like), they take the two with votes out of the mix to put more pressure on the others to DO SOMETHING. If they fail to make a move, then this boring inactivity puts a bullseye on themselves.

It wasn't Ciera that tied things up, but Gervaise. He was going to work with Hayden, Katie and Ciera to get rid of the much-too-powerful Tyson. But Gervaise wimped out.

Smart sometimes, dangerous at others. There can be repercussions if you withhold information from your team. It was interesting how it appeared Tyson took no flack from his allies for withholding this information from them. Hayden is so right in that Tyson is dominating the game and those who follow him are ONLY playing for second and third place. In which ways do Gervaise and Monica think they can beat Tyson? (Yes, Monica has won challenges, but other than that, she has not directed this game in any way at all.) At least Ciera woke up and realized she was not in the top three. She should be grateful to Hayden for nudging her over and over and over again until finally her eyes opened.

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I think fire building comes into play when they are down to the final four (?)

ETA - if idiot Ciera hadn't ratted out Hayden and Caleb last week, she'd be in a more powerful alliance by now.

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Gervase has been pretty clear that he was sticking with his alliance - and I believe Ciera intended to as well but Hayden's poking at tribal convinced her. It was an exciting but dumb move on her part - 2 of the 3 drawing rocks were in the fragile little rebellion - odds were that she would now be on the losing side of a 3/2 split next TC. In general Ciera's game has been poor, then surprisingly sharp, then way too smug (which swings her back to poor) - she's all over the place.

Sucks to be Katie tonight - she gets hit in the head repeatedly in the challenge :p, gets called out by Jeff for not understanding/underplaying the game, then gets Tyson's sarcasm and ire for losing the big gamble when she had at most one more TC. I really hope Tina does not let her win the challenge next RI though - Tina is such a way better competitor than her daughter (same can be said for Laura M).

Interesting point about this season - the big players are mostly alpha-ish guys, but the challenges, both RI and IC, have been dominated by older women. Gervase did a great job winning immunity this week, but I kinda hope it goes back to Monica again next week, just because.

ETA - agreed that Ciera had the chance to be part of a powerful alliance last week and blew it.

16. BaileyCatts

:shuffle: All good points about why the tied up people get exempted. Never even thought of those reasons! 27 seasons and I still don't understand all the nuances of this freaking game. :lol:

But even if I hate the person who has the HII, I do still like it when they keep quiet about having it and then screw up everyone's plans. But I really want to hear Tyson give a vote for me speech. There will be more people on the jury who dislike him and I don't think they will vote for him simply for that reason. So I don't think he will win regardless. Of course, whenever I say that, then that person always wins.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Seems to me that Ciera would have been 4th in whichever alliance she chose last week. She just thought she was third to Tyson and Gervaise so went with them. It was a rude awakening for her this week that Monica was ahead of her.

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It is a F2 this time or the dreaded F3? At this point, it's likely that 3 pairs will be on the jury - if Hayden is sitting up there with Tyson, with Gervase (or Tyson and Gervase), Hayden will probably be the recipient of votes from Caleb, Aras, Vytas, Katie and Tina, and probably Laura. Ciera may still vote for Tyson And Monica would vote for Tyson or Gervase unless she gest super bitter next ep (looks possible). If Monica is up there with either, or both of them, she will likely get Tina, Laura and Katie's votes. Aras and Vytas may be able to get over their bitterness to T/G if their other option is to vote for a woman. Depends on how Monica can handle the FTC - she could play up her adversity re: seeing her husband become the villain and her challenge dominance. Hayden will vote for Tyson, and Caleb may too. If Ciera somehow makes it to the finals, she'll get Laura, Tina, probably Katie, and might get Aras/Vytas in a move of pairs solidarity.

Tyson v Gervase, Tyson wins unless the jury is completely bitter. Tyson has been the leader of the alliance, and as we saw last night, Gervase is prone to saying the wrong thing in TC. If Gervase engineers Tyson's elimination he could pull out a win, but he's been such a secondary part of the dominant alliance that it may be hard to overcome. Maybe against Ciera.

19. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Tyson is as nasty a person as he is a good player. He deserves the win. But I won't like that he wins. :lol:

It wasn't surprising to see Ciera flip when every time they counted out the final four, they ALWAYS counter her in the #4 position. :lol: Silly Survivors! It would have been so easy for each of them to point to Ciera first, Monica second and then put themselves last. Things would have played out so differently if they had just done that simple, obvious thing. When you count out your strong voting block, you always put the most vulnerable person in the #1 position and yourself last.

I don't think Ciera's ever been truly part of the main group...and inside she knows that. So she has never had the luxury of Gervaise or Monica to just sit back and ride the wave. She saw the other tribe vote out her Mom when they could have voted out Laura B. And then they got rid of Ciera's Mom again when she wanted to work with the main group...that Ciera is supposed to belong to. And Ciera's right to have flipped, isn't she? Did Tyson or Gervaise ever say to her that she was #3 in their group over Monica?

Katie's know for a while that her chances of going are pretty high almost every week. Whether she gets another three days or not before getting booted out probably did not weigh too heavily on her. She got her biggest chance when Ciera flipped, but fate (and the numbers) were not on her side. I think if I was her, I'd be happy to get booted out. It must be tough to be part of a game where you're always on the outside and there is not really anything you can do to be part of the group that has numbers.

20. Ares

Ares Guest

I don't see Gervase getting any of the bitter at Tyson jury votes. When the slightest bit of confrontation presents itself Gervase loses his mind. Can you imagine him responding to jury questions? He's going to go nuts

With Monica being a perceived doormat by a lot of the jury, things are looking great for Tyson in the F3.

21. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

I have no spoilers for this season, but that clip of Tyson breaking down about potentially not making it to the end caught my eye. It seemed like the kind of clip they would love to roll at the reunion show right after he's declared the winner.

Or it could be Survivor misdirection. :p

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think Ciera is as much about wanting to play her own game - not the daughter, not the obedient alliance mate, but all grown up and thinking for herself. I have to wonder if that also played into her getting pregnant as a teen. I also think she's got a lot of her mother's "go for it" attitude, and doesn't want to go home regretting the things she didn't go.

She actually looked *excited* to roll the rocks - bit of a gambler in her? And is that gambler counting on an ace in the hole when it comes to tipping numbers etc? She could be right, because odds are that Laura is about to reenter the game, and from what they are showing us at least, no one is factoring that in. At least the team of Tina/Katie is now guaranteed to not make it to the end (one could, but not both).

A few have mentioned that they want to see Tyson's jury bid - agree. It will be memorable if nothing else, because he is a great player, but cannot resist the snark, and cannot resist pushing the envelope, ie I dare you not to vote for me. He really needs to win a challenge or two though if he doesn't want to give the jury excuses to vote for Laura or Monica, and he better have a good story ready for when Ciera and the others realize he essentially stole the second HII. I think Ciera will forgive (ya played me!), but Tina/Katie/Aras/Vytas types who get holier than thou might have a problem with it, and use it as an excuse not to vote for Tyson.

Gervase is playing a very good game after his initial over celebrating dickedness, winning this challenge and coming close in others, and I was also impressed with his immediately challenging Caleb's story at RI and letting Tina and Laura know that Caleb and Hayden tried to screw Tyson and Gervase before they did it to them. However, as others have noted, he did the counting thing wrong several times - why didn't he just say "Jeff I counted in the order we're sitting"? And for the reward, which Jeff makes such a big deal about, why not tell the jury that he picked Monica because she gave up a food reward to everyone else, and Tyson because he came in third in the challenge after him and Monica? He could even say "sorry Ciera, no offense but you came last in the challenge and I thought it only fair that rewards go to people who got to the end of the challenge"?

Love Hayden's game. I can see why Jeff gave Katie a hard time, especially when her only defense was "I'm not included in those conversations." Um, that's because you're not initiating them either, which Hayden is. He's not giving up, and he's doing a great job of staying alive when his size and past win should have had him voted out at the beginning, and his easy personality should have had him out more recently. If he makes it to the end, I don't think he can win - no wins, and his moves may have got him further but so far they have not changed the game. Maybe in a 2 person final if the other person is weak or hated, but in a 3 person no way as someone will have a better resume than him.

At this point, a finale of Tyson - Monica - Laura seems very possible if the two moms join forces, and I'd love to see these tough broads duke it out with Tyson in the end :)

23. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Tyson Monica And Gervase as final 3 would make total sense considering the edit they all got.
    I just don't get who wins. Gervase won't because of the beginning of the season. As for Monica versus Tyson, I can't decide who would have the favors of the jury.

24. BaileyCatts

I think it will just depend on how bitter the Jury is. :lol:

25. MarieM

The jury is always bitter. But who got the winner's edit ? Tyson or Monica ? I can't decide :(

26. BaileyCatts

That's the part that kills me every time. The "Bitter" Jury attacks the Final 3 with statements and questions that accuses "'them" of doing the exact same thing that the person asking the question did! And you could turn their statements around right back on themselves that they did the same things, yet they don't see themselves as having done the same thing, when they actually did. I usually end up laughing my ass off throughout the entire Final Tribal because of way the "Bitter" Jury people act.

I would never make it to the Jury on this show (hell I would never even be cast ... I don't like "outside!"), but my question to each person would simply be "tell me why I should vote for you". And then the person with the least snotty answer would get my vote. At least I'd like to think I wouldn't be bitter. Or maybe that IS being bitter :lol:

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Oh, you gotta do better than that to get cast on this show. You gotta talk about snakes devouring rats and then shitting said rat out with their next burp or something good like that!! :D

28. MarieM

Or you have to look brainless and sexy if a woman. Being blonde would be great too.

29. BaileyCatts

:lol: Yep. I got no shot at all.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Well even if Hayden can get back in the game, I don't think he has any shot of winning this. I think he's got the social side down - perhaps one of the most perceptive players of all time - but he laid low far too long, and all his skills would likely go undetected and unappreciated by the jury because he a) didn't win enough challenges for such an athletic and smart person and b) didn't change the game.

Ciera OTOH could win this, especially now that she's pulled a challenge win out of her hat. She's been playing really hard since the beginning, adapted her game play when needed, was part of some big stuff, even voting out her own mother - and now she's got a jury that could potentially be stacked with moms and people who want to see a kid given a big chance (hello Vytas).

Glad Tyson saved his HII because he's surely going to need it - because I do think Monica will turn on him if she has the power at the end (which is a likely scenario). They sure tried to convince us that Ciera got through, and I think she did get through, but just as they were about to vote it dawned on me that there's no way she was going to flip. She's all about integrity and ethics and setting a good example at home and in the community, and more importantly, she's a mom and I think she decided she's going to listen to her own gut over some lying kid.

Gervase is so much smarter than I remember from back in the day - I think he could kill it at final TC and if done right, take enough credit for what Tyson's done without the bitter from the jury.

Tyson needs to come up with a brilliant end game - he definitely needs a big challenge win, and then he has to be ready to somehow speak to each jury member and appeal to their love the game, and smooth any ruffled feathers - because the longer those Bitter Betties fester, the worse for Tyson and the better for the moms/integrity/give me a chance/I've grown types who he will be up against.

Anyone think Laura can win this? I don't. No doubt she's fierce at challenges* - but the fact is they all voted her off twice and I don't think the jury will say "well in that case you really deserve to win!" but rather "you don't deserve to win because you weren't in the main game for half of it."

If Tina gets back in the game I'll be shocked, but I don't think she can win. She will play the integrity card and it will be all about growth and how her relationship with her daughter :)lol: at Hayden saying she looked hot - and he's right - probably the best jury cleanup I can remember) is the most important thing blah blah. Then someone will poke holes in her integrity and others will remember she already has a million, and no votes except from Katie.

* I would watch a one-time Survivor special that pits the greatest challenge players against each other for a special prize, or for charity in a series of killer challenges that combine all the chestnuts from Survivors past but put them at an advanced level. Could be really fun - Laura, Monica, Ozzy, JT, Stephanie, Boston Rob, others?