Survivor: Blood vs Water (cast spoilers, don't enter if you don't want to know!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I hope not.
    I am very glad Kat (the worst player in the world) went home and Laura was sent to RI. I'm in love with Vytas and Ares. Don't judge me.
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree with this concept for sure - it's the unpredictable "I'm the swing vote!!" types you need to get rid of, even before the people who you know are on the other side of whereever you are.

The question is, was Laura B one of those? I see her more as willing to go with the flow and easily taken in by an alliance who knows how to appeal to her social insecurities. Sure, she might have been swayed by another offer, but I think Tina and Monica could have kept her in line for now.

To me, Vytas is far more the unpredictable and therefore ungametrustworthy right now. There's little reason to believe that all his professions of loyalty to the girls were anything more than saving his butt. Katie knows he was with the guys on the other tribe, although perhaps after John and Brad went she thought that he and Caleb were with her and Ciera? Does she not realize they were just useful for their votes, knowing they'd do anything to stay?

I wonder again if Tina realizes is counting on Aras and Vytas to go with her, Katie and Monica, and potentially Ciera, and maybe even get Laura M onside if she returns? Realizing that Tyson and Gervase might be gone from the original 5 alliance now that they are getting to know the other team (and Katie telling her about the boys alliance), I wonder if Tina is rooting for John to come back and not wanting anything to do with his old tribe.

I'll say again I think Vytas may have a big problem coming up because several of the women seem to think he's their special friend (and Aras for that matter - see Laura M), and they could turn vengeful if scorned.

But in the end I do agree with everyone that I'm glad to see Laura B and Kat gone, and hope John goes too. I'd much rather see real players than amateurs.
  3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I find it interesting that Laura B has had SUCH the newbie player aura - her husband has played this game 512 times! Even if he refuses to share his secrets at home, hasn't she had enough opportunity watching him on teevee to pick up a few pointers? Maybe it's jsut that she's drunk the Rupert kool aid and can't see anything beyond "he's everyone's favorite" (er...).
  4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Decent episode. Not sorry to see Mrs. Rupert go. And John was an non-entity for me too so him leaving wasn't any big deal.

And as soon as Jeff started describing the immunity challenge, I knew Vytas was winning it. You could just see his math professor/yoga instructor mind whirling away.

Sorry to see Aras go but the target on his back was HUGE. And it looks like Tina could be next which isn't a surprise since she's a winner too. has a love one and out of Tyson's little group.
  5. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I was shocked at some of the rookie mistakes Tina made today and looks to be making next week. Telling Monica that she is number 5 in the alliance is about the stupidest move in the book and going off on Tyson next week doesn't look any smarter. I loved Tina's game play her first time around and it seemed like she had returned to form in the first few weeks but that just flew out the window this week. Yikes!

Ciera stepped up her game this week as did Tyson and Gervase. Knew Aras had to be gone after the conversation between him and Vytas earlier in the episode...that scene just smacked of Aras being set up for the fall.
  6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Did the three couples never think that they should form the six-person voting block? Don't they realize the minority would feel threatened by six people who all share a common bond? Not to mention that two of those six were already winners. Those six had targets on their backs...but didn't even need to worry about those targets as they had a winning voting block. Are they unaware of what a snake Tyson is? I would never work with someone like him. And we see Ciara (and Mom) work with Hayden and Caleb who surely would have eliminated Ciara when the time came, but saw her as such a non-entity that they probably didn't bother to learn her name. Plus Ciara knew they turned on John and then Brad.

Aras' facial expression made me think he threw the challenge. That he wanted to give the win to his brother.

I was thinking that was poorly chosen wording as opposed to, "we're the top four and Monica, we want you voted out fifth instead of sixth". Instead, I think Tina was thinking that she and her daughter and Vytas and Aras were givens, so she was thinking about the others in the top six and wanted to clarify that Monica held a more important position than Gervaise. She just picked the wrong words saying "you're fifth" which sounds like Monica didn't have a shot at the top four.
  7. Catherine M

Vytas was on twitter last night during the west coast airing of the show and was pretty honest about how much he screwed up after winning immunity. That he went back to camp with the necklace and sat on his ass and didn't bother to work with Hayden/Caleb/Ciera about their votes cause Aras assured him that Gervase & Tyson were 100% with him and therefore he (Aras) wasn't in any danger. That being over confident on Survivor is a one way ticket out of the game.

Seems like Tina picked up some of that over confidence too while calling the shots the last couple of boots and her/Katie/Vytas are in real trouble now. And I agree, Very sloppy play by Tina.
  8. Catherine M

Forgot to add that one of the reasons that could cause Tina to loose her sh*t next week is that its believe in Survivor-land that she, Aras, Gervase and Tyson had a pre-show deal. Should have realized that once Tyson and Gervase were solos and not in a pair anymore, that things would be different especially when she and Aras came to the merge with their pair.
  9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Tyson all of the sudden found the idol. Why didn't he look for it earlier?
  10. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Monica ultimately did make the right decision to go with the group of singles plus 1 duo, but did she really think that when it got down to 2 duos and 1 single, that the single would wind up in 5th spot? The 2 duos would be fighting over her to make final 3.
  11. genevieve

finally got a chance to watch this - pretty satisfying episode.

No surprise on the winner of RI. Loved how Ciera was all "my mom coming back in the game is going to hurt me". True!

So many different factions/ways to go tonight! I think most people made the right choice - the Vytas/Aras duo was far more dangerous than either Tina/Katie or Laura/Ciera. And I knew one of the brothers was going once I heard Vytas utter the title of the episode ("Skin of My Teeth")...one of the disadvantages of watching the ep online.

Tina's slip about the #5 spot was massively damaging. It's never smart to alert someone to their non-priority standing, but in particular Monica's need for allegiance and loyalty has been very well documented. Examples 1 & 2 - the last 2 boots. Aargh.

Mostly I'm worried now that Hayden and especially Caleb are considered such non-entities because everyone is too concerned about returning players and their loved ones.

Very intrigued to see how this plays out, and if Vytas can regain some favor, or he's the next to go.
  12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I caught up last night, but was unfortunately spoiled for the outcome since my DVR for this week says that Aras was voted out in the last ep :duh:

Mind you, I think I would have caught it since Aras clearly had no idea how in danger he was, even though Tyson has been talking about getting rid of him with several people for the last few eps - that indicates Aras was way out of the loop. Then he goes around in this large merged tribe assuming he's in charge by telling everyone how to vote. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

And then there are the two brothers standing there at the end of the challenge advertising to the world what a combined threat they are. I almost wondered if Gervase threw it at the end to help make the point and keep the target off his back; ditto Tyson early on.

However, Vytas ain't stupid and the expression on his face during the vote reveal says to me he realized instantly exactly what he did wrong. The previews/my DVR are suggesting that he takes vengeance, but really? I think he's smarter than that and will try to shift focus to the obvious-on-paper-targets - the two remaining couples, the one previous winner (and if that flies, I'd be reminding people that Hayden has also won a social-based reality show too), the RI returnee, and the known sly snake (who I wouldn't be surprised is playing up his shoulder, only to burst back in total health when he needs it in a crucial challenge).

I was also amused by Ciera - and she turned out to be right as her mom made her priorities so obvious and talked to much, and is clearly a fierce challenge threat. I thought he remarks at TC were aimed to show her alliance of Tyson, Gervase, Hayden and Caleb that she's with them, no matter what her mom tries with the other couples or women or people from the other tribe. Smart move.

Meanwhile, one almost forgets that Aras is still in game - does RI really have any use any more? :rolleyes: Just drags it all out further, and frankly I don't think Aras deserves a second chance, and Vytas needs to fix things back at camp on his own. But Aras is strong and smart and there's a good chance he could return. It was interesting that he said on arriving that he had never been voted out of Survivor before - that could be in large part why he didn't see it coming at all.

re HII - I expect a lot of them have been looking for it given that the clues were out there, but they just haven't shown it to us because no one had found it, and it took away from the drama of the clues being burned every week (we thought it would have been fun if Laura took the clue and read it aloud to the whole tribe to even the playing field). But there's no way a player like Tyson was going to forget it exists - he knows he's going to need it.

Which brings me to footage and Prancer's info that they have cut back on camera crews in recent years. I've complained for the last few seasons that we are missing stuff that results in holes in the storylines, but perhaps that's not bad storytelling but rather bad filming. Maybe they've all been looking for the idol but no one has captured it on tape. There's no end to the amount of strategy and relationship building that we aren't getting. And when you think about it, this year especially seems to devote most of the episodes to RI and challenges, and not as much to camp life, likely because they just don't have it.
  13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well, Hello Mr. Probst. :hat1: He can serve me bacon any day, and I don't eat bacon.
  14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Watching last night I wondered why they had gone right to a challenge and then were heading to TC by 8:26. I thought wow something big is going to happen at TC! But no, in the absence of a RI challenge, they had to fill the episode with two immunity challenges and two TCs, because they clearly do not have all the footage needed to tell the full story.

How did Vytas go from trying to charm a couple of people into throwing him a bone (which could have worked - one extra would have been a tie and Tina would have voted him out, but two extra and Katie would have gone home) to that completely stupid hammering of his own nails in his own coffin at TC?

And who voted against Tyson, twice? One might assume Tina and Katie, but they only showed one vote each time. I wish they'd show all the votes. Years ago they used to do a tally on the website as well, so you could track voting at home. I think they still do the videos, but I can't access them.

And when Caleb spoke near the end, I was floored he was still there - because in last week's episode, he did not speak once. Maybe he doesn't give very good interviews or TC comments, but he's still in the game, isn't he? He must be doing something right.

OK but onward -

So disappointed in Tina losing her game like that, and can't see her beating both Vytas and Aras to get back in. And does anyone watch Nashville? She could be Scarlett's mom.

Monica just doesn't get it for someone who has played the game before. I can see where she would quietly switch her vote to Vytas after the way he treated her, but what was the point of going back to camp and yacking about it, especially when she knows her situation is precarious at best? I wonder if she's spent so much of her life on the sidelines that she's still trying to get in with the in crowd.

Love Hayden, and he's playing a near flawless game, but it's not going to get him the win unless he somehow ends up with goats or people everyone hates next to him.

I'm rooting for Tyson. I know many can't stand him, but I've been a fan of his game since his first season and he makes for good tv. Part of me would also like to see Ciera at the end - I think she's playing a really good game for a newbie going up against some big guns, and her ability to navigate the changing social tides seems quite good. If she can keep her mom in check - who can be so fierce at challenges - then I see her sitting at the end.

And big points to Gervase - I barely remember him the first time around, but after that mess at the beginning, he's now playing really well. He's got his game on now and teaming up with Tyson is proving to be a smart move. I wonder how different it might have been if his niece had lasted. Hayden and Caleb are certainly better off without their loved ones, and I can't help thinking Katie might be a little relieved right now, after the past few days.

Never been a fan, but I gotta say, that's impressive!
  15. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I am enjoying this season! Tina really fell quickly. I am rooting for several all for different reasons.
    Tyson - he is just so entertaining and cracks me up and would so deserve the win.
    I am liking Gervase too, but the 2 of them seem like such big targets, with Tyson first. Maybe if Tyson is ousted, Gervase has a better chance.
    Ciera - from someone that was on the bottom of a tribe to now, she could be in a good position, especially if Laura gets voted out. People might underestimate her, and with bigger/obvious targets and she could make it to the end. And she seems pretty smart, and could make a good argument in final tc
    Katie - better off without Mom, but not sure how good she is at this game. Time will tell.
    Hayden - I like him, liked him in BB - but I just feel his edit makes it that he will not win. Not enough air time. Also same for Caleb - he had the big move, and then not much since. I guess if either of these 2 go on an immunity run, things will change
    Aras/Vytas - I hope it is one of these 2 that make it back in. I would be happy with either one, but Vytas is my fav. But then if the returning player does not win immunity in a challenge - probably out, pretty decisive vote.
    Monica - please just get her out.
    I do like how Tyson actually has not told anyone yet about the HII.
  16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I thought last night's episode was pretty :yawn: predictable. The food challenge was simply gross.
  17. genevieve

the food challenge was gross, but I kind of liked the return to simpler Survivor days. After several seasons, people were prepared for the gross things challenge and most handled it easily. Now that it only comes up every few seasons people aren't as prepared and it's more of a real challenge. Monica certainly impressed there, although I wanted Gervase to win it.

Hayden and Caleb are such non entities now - I also was a bit jolted when I realized Caleb is still in the game. I was glad Monica pointed out in TC that Hayden & Caleb are a natural alliance - people are not going after the strong affable guy with no enemies who is capable of a string of immunities at the end? :wall: I know I've been anti-Hayden from the start due to his BB ties, but really, at this point he'd be a disappointing winner because he has been invisible! I do wonder if he threw that coin challenge though - he and Tyson lost as just about the exact same time. And it wouldn't serve Hayden to remind folks of his strength right this moment.

Oh, Tina....what a mistake to go after everyone after last week's TC. Dang! Vytas was a goner no matter what, she almost got her daughter booted (not sure why they targeted Katie and not Tina for that first vote), and even though she made some really good points about Monica at the end, it was too late. Sigh! I also want to know who threw Tyson votes - one of the many things I don't like about RI seasons is that we don't see the votes at the end of the ep.

Rooting for Gervase/Tyson now, with a smattering of Katie and even Ciera a bit. Monica is good for drama. And I don't think she's someone who's been on the sidelines looking to get "in", as mentioned above ... I think she's very used to being the queen bee and does not handle people not being yes-men to her very well.
  18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

You could be right - several times they showed him watching how the others were doing, which I thought was odd as the challenge seemed to require full concentration straight ahead. Turning your head could have thrown your balance that one millimetre that would end it for you.

Yeah I thought Tina really went overboard on Monica at that TC - it was almost mean and surprising for someone who was purportedly playing on the nice guy ticket.

Could be. I think I recall that she and Brad met in college and she was some sort of homecoming queen, but at the same time, he's obviously a big personality and I would think it would be hard not to find yourself in the shadows when you husband is an NFL player, and it also sounds like his family is somewhat of a big deal in their area of Florida. I had the feeling that Survivor was her thing, at that she didn't want to get squeezed out like last time but rather be part of the central part of the game.

But you have a point - perhaps she is used to ruling the roost at home and in her community, and maybe that's why she can't seem to adjust to being in the second tier on the show - last time or this time.
  19. genevieve

I suspect Monica and Brad are very equal partners - I think they both have very big personalities and don't think either of them would click with someone content to live in the shadows.

Armchair personality analysis is fun :p
  20. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

Missed this weeks episode so thanks for your reports :)
  21. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

At the 1st TC, I was expecting a 5-5 split, with the group of 7 splitting 4 Katie, 3 Vytas, Vytas voting Katie, and Tina and Katie voting Vytas. I was thrown for a loop when Tyson got a vote. Of course, Monica changing her vote to Vytas changed the dynamic anyway.
  22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Definitely some unexplained stuff in the voting, if Wiki is right:

First round

What was supposed to happen -
    * Boys (Tyson, Gervase, Hayden, Caleb) vote Vytas and girls (Ciera, Laura, Monica) vote Katie, so 4 for Vytas, 3 for Katie, plus 2 to whoever Tina/Katie vote
    * Then Vytas tells camera he will try to switch one of the boys to Katie and then he will vote her too, so the result would be 3 votes Vytas, 4 votes Katie, plus 2 whoever Tina/Katie vote

What actually happened -
    * Votes for Vytas as expected - Tyson, Gervase, Hayden, Caleb
    * Votes for Katie as expected - Ciera
    * Additional votes for Vytas not expected - Monica, Laura
    * Tina/Katie vote for Vytas
    * Vytas votes for Tyson ("Thai Sun")

So somewhere in there Vytas gave up - perhaps he learned Tina/Katie were going after him, so he voted Tyson to expose him? And note that Laura also didn't go with the plan, and no one got mad at her - maybe they didn't know? And, remember how Laura B got in so much trouble for telling Vytas what was going to happen? How come no one freaked out when Vytas was going around trying to get a flip, clearly showing that someone had tipped him off? (I think it was Hayden)

Second round

* Everyone voted for Tina (Tyson, Gervase, Hayden, Caleb, Ciera, Laura, Monica) except Tina/Katie
    * But get this - Tina and Katie did not vote together - Katie voted for Monica, and Tina, after all that about Monica, actually voted for Tyson

Um, what?
  23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Why would (should) it matter for Tina and Katie to vote together? It would have meant nothing. Instead, they could have agreed that each should vote for one person that needed to be highlighted for whatever reason to get others to think more clearly about the roles these two have in the game. With that strategy, I would have gone for votes for Tyson and Gervase as they seem to be running the show. Monica is just floating now and will be voted out when the others need a safe vote where they don't piss off anybody they don't want angry.
  24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

So why did Katie vote for Monica? Did she think she was going to get enough other votes? She would have known Tina didn't have the HII, as as you said, why highlight Monica when she's already on everybody's radar?

I'm wondering if Katie was already trying to distance herself from her mother - and ingratiate herself with Tyson if she knew her mother planned to write his name down?

Similarly I noted that Ciera stuck with the plan in the first vote, while her mother did not - and we know Ciera is already trying to hedge her bets.

But back to Tina - why rant off on Monica like that if you were planning to vote for Tyson? She was the one who tried to serve the others on lost jury votes, and now if she happens to get back into the game, she's ticked off more people than she needed to.
  25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think Katie and Tina knew they were an island. They only had two votes against everybody else. So the only power they had was to deflect and to paint bullseyes. So maybe they were smarter than me choosing Tyson and Gervaise. They put one target on the power couple's leader (Tyson) and the other target on the obvious next boot after them (Monica). By pinpointing Monica as the next target, whoever between Katie and Tina stayed would be seen as a non-entity and ignored as far as who would be voted out. This could ensure safety for either Tina or Katie (whoever stayed).

Better her (Monica) than me (the remaining Katie or Tina). Sometimes the game is a desperate, "how do I get three more days out here???" :yikes:

Whoever stays should go to Tyson and say, "we were both going to vote for Monica, but my sister/mother must have changed her plan and voted for you...have no idea why she did that...sorry you got a vote there, Tyson" (bat eyelashes here). ;)

I'm guessing Tina sacrificed herself for her daughter. Either Katie wanted to play more than Tina did, or Tina thought she had a better chance of winning at Redemption Island than Katie. So Tina making a scene ensured her daughter's safety for three days and by ranting about Monica, maybe people will vote out Monica instead of Katie. So that move of Tina's gave her daughter six instead of three days. Smart plan...if it works.
  26. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

But Katie won immunity and couldn't be voted out.
  27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm talking about the upcoming vote. :)
  28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Excellent points Peter - you are probably right that Tina knew what was coming so she was trying to leave her daughter in as best a position as possible.

Katie might also try getting back in with her old pal Ciera at this point - bonding over the mom issue that Ciera still has, pointing out to her that she's likely low man in her alliance and how they survived together before and can do it again.
  29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Normally I'm :blah: at the Emotional Journey themes on this show, but I enjoyed last night - maybe because the big mother-daughter moment was as much about game strategy as Personal Growth. That Ciera is a smart cookie - but that's what's going to get people targeting her, especially if she can successfully play the "I played this game so hard and wanted it so bad that I voted out my own mother" card successfully. At this point, I think only Vytas (if he returns) has an equally powerful personal story. And Katie's gotta be kicking herself at home on how easily she got played - I did wonder if Ciera would use her old us-against-the-five-men alliance in her favour now.

Tyson was also smart to get rid of Laura so he could have Ciera on his side without danger of a girls/moms type alliance forming. Previews suggest - actually scream - that everyone is going to turn on Tyson next week, which might mean that there's no way he's leaving yet :) I think Caleb is itching to make another Big Move so he has something to say at final TC, and Hayden's gotta be thinking he has no case right now other than a bitter jury, which I don't think we're going to get this time. I think Tyson will be smart enough to see it coming and either go all out for immunity or use his HII.

That could be a great moment - everyone thinking they're going to do this huge blindside, and Tyson blindsides them right back with the HII no one knows he's had for some time. :rollin:

And what about Monica? I think that might have been very smart - she knows she's a target, and winning lots of challenges doesn't help but she has to - so rather than expose her preferences by choosing people to come along (you know it would have been more than one), she chooses no one. Plus I have to wonder if someone with that kind of body knew that eating food like that after 3 weeks of fish and rice would have made her feel worse than better anyway. Interested to know what others thought!

Also realizing something about RI, not sure if I noticed this in past seasons - traditionally, the jury has always attended every TC as a method of formulating their vote at the end. But Vytas and Tina are still in the game, and so are missing all this. Not sure if it really matters, but it could skew things a bit and make the RI and Ponderosa talk that much more important as players fill each other in, in their own biassed way.
  30. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Jenny, as always - great post, I look forward to reading your thoughts every week.
    Interesting thought about Vytas and Tina not being at TC - could be very important.
    Also about the jury - I agree - may not be bitter. Many of these folks seem to genuinely get along on a personal level (since many already know each other) and they seem to know the difference between game and personal. Also I think with Aras being the first juror, and when he welcomes the next person - it will not be a whinefest and the tone for Ponderosa could be quite pleasant, kick back and relax and actual conversations about the remaining players gameplay.
    Definitely smart move on Monica. Again it was challenge that in a way favored smaller people.
    And yes - hotdogs, hamburgers, bread, fries and soda - they would get so sick. There was not 'advertising', so why don't they have the prize be fruits, vegetables, some protein, and healthy nutritious beverages or something like Ensure.
    I am still rooting for Tyson - I am just entertained by him. Ciera is really growing on me, smart girl and thinking down the road. But also Tyson was smart on how to handle Ciera with voting out mother.
    Much of this season is a good example of just casting good game players is very entertaining (not counting Colton).
    Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  31. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

What were the women thinking??? Katie is a target, Mom and daughter are a target and Monica is a target. Why are they waiting for their turn to be kicked out of the game by the men? Why not form a voting block of four and bring in Caleb and kick out the three big guys???

What were the veterans thinking? The newbies can now form a four-person alliance and take out Tyson, Gervaise and Monica. STOOPID!

What were Tyson (and apparent non-entity) Gervaise thinking? If they had voted out Katie, if the tide turned in that direction, they would have had a veteran voting block to keep them safe. If the tide turned in this direction, they would could have said to Mom and daughter, "you need saving, as do the two of us...us two partnerships to the final four". Now with Laura gone, they've screwed up two of their options. :mad:
    Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  32. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Monica and knowing that eating that kind of food after essentially no food will wreck havoc on your body. She seems like she's very into physical fitness and healthy eating and lifestyle ... she probably doesn't even eat those foods in the real world anyway. :lol: In this challenge (and others) she seems to go into almost like a trance and completely blocks out the others and concentrates on her own physical skill doing the challenges, unlike Tyson who kept looking at everyone else. I imagine her doing a lot of yoga and that whole thing like focusing internally, centering yourself, blah blah blah stuff in her real life.
  33. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

Because it's a reward or prize, so the producers give them what they crave. The producers know what they talk about eating in camp and that's what they put out there. Cast members talk about how they have eaten all organic or vegetarian diets for years and all they think about after being out there for a while is junk food and lots of it.

I'd have to be near-death to think of Ensure as a reward :p.
  34. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I guess many of you were busy brining turkeys and baking pies last night, but that was a fun ep! For once they really had us flip flopping wondering who would be voted out. But here's where I'm confused:

Why did Tyson go from being confident enough to skip the challenge to using his prized HII within what, a few hours? Sure, he knew there was some discussion about getting rid of him, but I thought the fact that Ciera came to him with all this and his confidence in Monica meant he knew he was safe, and of course he was. Interesting what Ciera said at TC - I knew I wasn't going to win that challenge anyway, so I figured I should eat - I wonder how the others viewed that decision.

Where was Monica?? In all that flip flopping, she was the swing vote and yet we got no footage of Hayden or Katie approaching her, or Tyson having a conversation to lock her vote. We've discussed how they have less footage these days, and it's possible they did a 1-1 with her in which she said I'm voting with Tyson so no story there, but there's no excuse for her being completely absent from this ep other than another fierce challenge win.

When did Tina and Laura become buddies? I thought they had both voted each other out at some point, but perhaps they have united on being scorned by Vytas? Laura standing in front of her puzzle and spinning it around was quite smart. And I have to say Vytas has lost all the charm he had for most of the season - maybe we are going to get a bitter jury after all.

So moving on - I did think that Caleb and Hayden's plan to put the focus on Ciera was a good one and against another foe might very well have worked to save them, but when you foe is Tyson, you do need to up your game :) He really seems to have a handle on everyone, but now that he has no HII, he's left himself exposed in a big way. But, on the upside, this TC gave him and Gervase a very good view of where things stand - Katie was clearly ready to go with Hayden, Ciera is clearly loyal and so is Monica. Of course everything can change, but Hayden better work really hard to win a challenge because Katie has already won, and Monica is on a mission all of her own.

When does someone come back? Timed right, it could help Hayden or Katie immensely to have one more body on their side, and if Laura comes back (which seems the most likely at this point), it might really help Tyson's alliance, or be the final undoing of him if Ciera and Laura band together to take over the game, which they conceivably could.

And I wonder how much they are thinking about who could come back? If there were to vote out Monica right now she's obviously a huge threat to come back, and come back mad and highly unpredictable. Or vote out Tyson now, and risk him coming back - sitting out the last challenge aside, I suspect he has been holding back on challenges all along and could easily go on a run right to the final, with a pitstop at RI or not.
  35. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Don't we always have a bitter jury? :lol:

I don't know why Tyson used his Idol either and to me he just wasted it when he might really need it up to the final time you can use it. But again there's alot of stuff we don't see, but from what we saw I thought it was pretty clear that Ciera was not going to turn on him. He had Gervase and Monica, so why waste the Idol? Now he really will be a target I think because people might turn on him for having it all this time and hiding it. He could always say "oh I just found it right before tribal" or something. But he still shouldn't have used it yet.
  36. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

I loved how Vytas wouldn't even look at Laura after she helped Tina so much to beat him. He pulled his hand away and said "don't even!" :lol:
  37. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I did think that this crowd might be a jury full of people who appreciated the game and took more of a "OK, ya got me" approach. But the look on Vytas and Aras at TC was like two sucky little toddlers. What happened to the whole "I've conquered all my personal demons and now it's just about bonding with my brother" storyline? Seems as thought Vytas may not be the calm and wise yoga guy we were all supposed to think. He really blew it in his last day in the main game, and given Tina and Laura at the challenge, sounds like he isn't winning any friends on RI either.

Other interesting point for me was the reason behind Monica's steely determination to win challenges. I thought it was just to save herself, but this ep we saw that it's personal and that she wants to prove herself in her own family. Upthread we discussed whether or not she was an alpha in her family/community or whether she was in the shadow of her football hero husband and locally prominent in-laws - perhaps it is the latter after all.
  38. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I have been going back and forth on Monica this season...at first I was inclined to like her because I had liked her on One World, then she was the woman with the annoying husband, then she started to become pretty annoying and whiny herself, but now with the challenge wins and the steely determination Jenny mentioned, she's heading back towards my good book.

Re Tyson feeling comfortable enough to sit out the challenge but then playing his idol later - I think there are a few things going on. One is I think that the HII was the reason he did feel comfortable enough to sit and eat...he knew that he could play it if things got rough and this way he gets to eat. Second, Hayden and Caleb did a great job of making him paranoid about Ciera after the challenge...interesting that they were much more observant about Ciera's behavior than Tyson was. They picked up immediately on her signals that she was not with them whereas Tyson didn't figure the same thing out. As for whether the idol was a waste, perhaps, but I think he would rather waste it now than go home with it in his pocket. It can only help him out for two more tribal councils anyway, so I think it was still a good decision to use it.
  39. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

When is the last time you can use it? At 5? Because there are still 7 people in the game if you add whoever returns from RI, so that would be three more TCs, no?

I find myself really thinking about the RI dynamic this season, maybe because it's 3 people instead of 2. On the one hand, in addition to having to claw their way back into the game, they have the further punishment of being out of the loop in the game and TCs, and now out of the loop in the jury too. On the other hand, they have two unique opportunities:

First there's the potential for info sharing, which I think has been the case in the past, knowing that only one of them is going back in the game so why not spill all the beans. However, a player might be careful about doing so now because they don't want to compromise someone's game who is still playing - particularly Katie and Ciera. For example, Tina might not want to reveal what Katie's strategy is in case she's not the one who goes back in, and maybe she doesn't want to reveal hers and Katie's hand to the jury either.

Second there's the potential to do some serious jury work. While at RI, you know for sure that one if not both of the others will be on the jury now. Plenty of time for quiet lobbying, plus the opportunity to pick their brains and see what they are thinking. In the past one might think it's no big deal because the chance of someone who got back into the game winning is perhaps small (we voted you out once, twice, why would we give you a million dollars now?). However, it's different this time - Tina and Laura, both fierce players and mothers - could be doing all kinds of stuff that could influence the jury members as they pass through RI, and/or that they can take back into the game and pass onto their daughters.

And in Ciera's case, she might actually be more worried about what unwitting damage her mother might do rather than how much she might be able to help.
  40. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I think it was more a case of Laura thinking that it would be easier to beat Tina than Vytas at the final RI challenge. If I were on RI, I'd be doing everything I could to keep the weaker competitors around.