Survivor: Blood vs Water (cast spoilers, don't enter if you don't want to know!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Feel really bad for niece of Gervase. Really sucks to get kicked off because your Uncle was absolutely horrible in his challenge (seriously that was pathetic, not just the non-swimming, but the complete and utter exhaustion) and then in his inability to win with grace.

Am going to laugh my ass off if Hayden manages to Brigade his way to the win of another season. So I'm kind of expecting to see the guys start to pair off with girl alliances- can that seriously work again? Maybe not with the redemption island twist, since the girls will know the alliances were fake and able to ruin the plan...

I think hearing them call people "loved ones" is going to get really old. Surely production told them to use that term, right?

I'm interested in the dynamic after the merge. Who will people with no "loved ones" left gravitate to? Will "loved ones" pair off or stay with their original tribe? And what relationships will really make the best alliances? I mean- it seems like you have a much stronger need to protect a spouse than a more distant relative? If my spouse wins a million dollars, I basically win half a million of that. If my niece wins? Well, I'm happy for her, but I don't get anything.

2. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Aras was on a season with one of Probst's all time favorites, Terry the fighter pilot who went out at final 3. Maybe that's why you don't remember him at all as that season was all about Terry, Terry, Terry, Terry and some more Terry with a little Cirie thrown in as that was her first season to play. And that guy Shane with the rock who pretended like he was talking on his cell phone.

Candace's first season was Cook Island and yeah that stupid Billy fell in love with her on day one even though they weren't on the same tribe. Thank god Ozzy hated him and threw a challenge to send him packing so we didn't have to watch him fawn over her for any length of time. And yes, she teamed up with Penner and they left their tribe of Yul, Ozzy, Becky and Sondra for the other tribe and then Ozzy and Yul went on this epic immunity run that sent all the others packing. It was glorious!

Katie for sure should have been voted out. Hated that for Marissa who did nothing wrong in the challenge to get sent packing.

Brad is a doofus.

Like so far:

Caleb, Hayden, and poor Marissa stuck on RI with Rupert and Candace.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thanks Catherine - that helps! I do remember Terry and the cell phone rock and of course Cirie.

4. Catherine M

I've always wondered why we haven't seen Aras before this. He obviously wanted to play again. I guess its because his laid back personality and approach to the game didn't endear him to Probst and company. And the fact that he beat Probt's guy. Vytas' story is much more compelling than Aras' good guy one so that probably helped getting Aras finally cast again.

5. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

Have they said if there would be any II this season?

6. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Jeff doesn't like Aras much, he called him the most boring winner of Survivor. I disagree.

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Brad Culpepper: "We've got four guys and a gay guy." So everybody...who is your pick for a**hole of the week?

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I guess even Jeff has forgotten Vecepia.

9. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I disagree too. I always liked Aras. I actually just watched his season again and he played a great game. He was mellow, calm but was very savvy at playing people. I'm thrilled he's back.
    And ITA - the rest of the cast are idiots if they let both Aras and Vytas get to the merge.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I wonder if they are playing the "we have issues" thing for that exact reason.

11. Catherine M

I don't know if this was common knowledge but I read on Sucks last night that RC was suppose to be on but her dad didn't pass the physical when they got to the pre-camp site so Candace and John were brought in from sequester as a replacement. That might be why the male division is a little off with the love ones having four young guys on it not the three they were suppose to have. Didn't hurt the vets this past challenge with the puzzle equalizer but something to keep an eye on as we go forward.

12. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

This was a better first epi than I was expecting:

Why was I surprised that Rupert changed places with his wife?

I do question Tina's judgment. She forgot that Rupert built the shelter in the sand that was washed out by the tide.

Why was Candice first voted out? Her former tribe were boneheads. She is stronger than half the tribe, including the guys. After seeing Gervase at the challenge I am sure they have reconsidered that choice.

Colton hasn't changed......threatening to hit Kat in the head with the paddle? Really? It didn't take long for his true colors to come out.

The bromance will hopefully crash and burn. Brad is a tool. Vytas, Caleb, and Hayden are too socially aware to be tied to that.

Gervase's lack of sportsmanship after that pitiful performance in the challenge was ridiculous. It is a shame that Marissa is being made to pay for it.

It took 4 seasons for Rupert to figure out that being the provider put him at a disadvantage? I laughed at him nit doing any work over at RI. Good for him!!

I can't pick a favorite yet. There are too many variables. I am kind of liking the newbies more that return players so far though.

13. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I may not be remembering this correctly, but Aras was really into yoga when he was on the first time (that's the main thing I remember about him) and I am pretty sure it was Vytas who got him into it. It seems to me that Aras has also referred to Vytas several times in interviews he has done since he won. They may be incredibly competitive with each other, but I've always had the impression that they were also very close.

I also notice they refer to Vytas as a yoga instructor--and that that seems to be his persona for this show, along with being a recovering drug addict. He IS a yoga instructor and recovering drug addict. He's also a math professor at Santa Monica college. I'll bet we never hear a word about it on the show.

I wasn't surprised at all. On Heroes v. Villians, Rupert annoyed the hell out of everyone by obsessing over being America's favorite player. He drove everyone crazy with his constant plotting and scheming to get positive camera time and was always trying to recruit people to help him look good. He didn't even want to win the overall title; he just wanted to win the most popular player. I had no doubt that he was going to play the gallant.

There was an online news site that interviewed all the boots from that show (I can't remember which one) and the reporter always asked something like "Which player surprised you the most in a negative way?" and almost everyone on the show said "Rupert." And most of them were pretty blunt about trashing him, too.

I laughed when they said that they voted for her because they didn't know anything about her. She's been on TWICE, for god's sake, and I know that at least some of the people who voted for her watch the show regularly. I don't think she participates in a lot of the Survivor fan events and such, so maybe they don't know her personally. But she's been on twice, so they should know something.

I LOLed when she was talking about how much she hates Rupert; I am pretty sure that she was one of the boots on HvV who named Rupert as the Survivor she most disliked :lol:. That said, I remember nothing else about her from HvV except that she complained about the clothes the producers picked out for her to wear on the show.

14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I enjoyed last night, except Rupert. So glad others don't like him. I really liked him in the beginning of his first season, then when he got some votes at tribal and his behavior back at camp caused me to dislike him and it has not changed.
    Assume NFL husband will not be here long - got a lot of air time last night. Doing the obvious things that get one booted.
    Gervase - very disappointed, and too bad for his niece.
    Aras and Vytas intrigue me and hope they go far, but the others would be smart to target them.
    Once they merge - will be interesting - assume there will be some pairs left and some singles. If the singles have more numbers than the pairs - pagong the pairs?
    Glad the show is back, seems like a fresh canvas after the filth of BB this past season.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree - someone who has been a rock star most of his life (football player) doesn't have near the social perspective of guys who have been through and live the lives that those three do. I know some were not fans of Hayden on BB and think of him as just another jock type, but you don't make it through 75 days of Big Brother without having some really good social insights and skills. I expect they are letting him shoot off at the mouth for now, happily hiding behind him in the comfort of a majority alliance while they get to know the lay of the land and the other players.

Oh I HATE that! Why do they try and create these characters? Why can't they let people just be who they really are? And do they seriously think that fans won't figure out the truth in about five minutes? :wall:

16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I don't remember Monica or Laura ... and I've never missed an episode of Survivor.

17. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Monica was in the Colton season. I liked her and was hoping she'd go farther. Don't remember Laura either.

18. FiveRinger

I am impressed with his story. If he gets to the merge (with it without Aras) he could be a serious contender to win. He appears to be social, smart, athletic and self aware. Very dangerous.

Being America's Favorite Player won him $1 million in Pearl Islands. I am sure he's looking for another big payday. It would make me feel better even if I couldn't win title of sole survivor. Was Pearl Islands the only season that paid that much for being America's Favorite Player?

After 26 seasons, you would think that contestants would at least: 1) Familiarize themselves with past seasons/players since there is almost always a trivia challenge, 2) Work on your fitness....this includes learning how to swim, and 3) Learn how to make fire with and without flint. Are Tyson, Rob and Yao Man the only ones who learned how to do this?

She mutinyed with Penner in Cook Islands and swapped spit with Adam her Survivor boyfriend when she got eliminated at Tribal.

19. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

The $1 million was for All Stars and is the only time it's been that much. I think the Sprint Player of the season or whatever it's called is a relatively newer addition they put in when they got rid of the car challenge.

20. FiveRinger

Thank you.

21. Prancer

The fans on Sucks have a theory that Survivor has come to accept that the hardcore fans are going to know everything about everyone and spoil like crazy, but watch anyway, so they no longer worry about any of it, and then there are the fans who just watch on TV (rather sniffingly referred to "casuals") who just watch and accept what is shown on television, and the show is really made for them.

Survivor's thing has always been storytelling--they've always stitched a story together out of all their footage--and they believe this is the key to their success. That is what first drew me to Survivor and still keeps me watching--the storytelling aspect. And I have some sympathy for the fact that they are limited by time to telling stories with a lot of telegraphing, which means keeping their stories pretty simple, especially if they want to focus on things like plotting and scheming. The story for Aras and Vytas is obviously going to be Cain and Abel; they're not going to complicate that.

But it does make me feel manipulated a lot of the time and it does mean that you just never know if what you are seeing is real. I mean, look at how they made Rupert's wife's vote all about Rupert and how threatened everyone is by his greatness. I figured she would be the first one voted out because she was the oldest female and doesn't look like a jock, and everyone figured she would be the biggest liability in challenges. I have no idea what the reason was, but I find it kind of hard to believe that it's all about Rupert, who has never won the game in what--four tries?

BTW, if there are any Days of Our Lives fans here--Vytas and Aras are the grandsons of Macdonald Carey, who played Dr. Tom Horton for decades.

Yeah, it's only $100K now, but I think Rupert wanted that title because he thinks that's who he is--America's favorite Survivor player. Rupert is pretty well off and always has been; it's not about the money for him. He was supposedly very upset that he lost to Russell. But then who wouldn't be upset to losing that title to Russell?

22. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Same for me. Seems to me if you really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get contestants than maybe you should get another idea...

23. Prancer

Since Survivor generally focuses on men and not women, many of the women on Survivor are forgettable. Finding one who is both memorable and willing to come back and fits their casting needs has to be tough because of that. I don't think they particularly try, either; often they are just trying to fill some sort of quota ("Oh, we need one more girl who looks great in a bikini and another old guy to balance out the numbers.")

I don't remember Monica except that she was labeled something like "NFL Player's Wife," which I thought was really annoying, but I remember Laura really well. I'm sure everyone remembers Shambo? Laura was her arch enemy. Laura was really resentful that she was portrayed as a mean girl (or more like, the leader of the mean girls, as she and all the young women bonded against Shambo), so I am sure that she is back for some redemption here. I am surprised that Survivor asked her back, however, because she bitched about producer manipulation of the game a whole lot after she was off the show and I think was making vague threats about suing at one point.

But the main thing I remember about her was how very focused she was on her looks and how important it was to her that everyone knew she was a VERY YOUNG grandmother, and that she is both very conservative and very devout and considers herself a Hawaiian Sarah Palin (even though Laura actually lives in Oregon). I have never forgotten the Sarah Palin reference.

24. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

And then there's Laura's daughter, Ciera, who is against gay rights. What a twat. :rolleyes: I hope she gets voted off ASAP.

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

True dat! Gotta love her response though: "Oh HELL no!!!" :respec:

26. Catherine M

Hopefully tonight episode will have alot less of idiot Brad.

But since he's the type of alpha male that Probst loves, I doubt it.

Between him and Colton, I might be grabbing the remote and hitting mute from time to time!

27. kwanfor2006

kwanfor2006 Active Member

I took a math class at Santa Monica college a few years ago and Vytas was my instructor. His fun fact was that his brother won Survivor. He was a fun and laid back guy and ill definitely be rooting for him this season!

28. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Rupert going out first is.....HYSTERICAL!!

BTW, the family connection is adding an element that hasn't been in the game before. Thoughts about voting people out because their partner will or will not take their place in RI is a new element to the game that I'm actually enjoying.

Oh, and Colton is still a tool.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:cool:

And KHenry eys, this is proving interesting. I know this show tries to be all about Personal Journeys :blah::blah: but who knew it would get so hard core strategic right from the get go? Much as I dislike returnee seasons, at least everyone here has come to play, and play hard. No model/actor wannabes in the bunch (well maybe a few, but at least they're all actual players). Random thoughts:

Glad it wasn't the Brad show again.

Interesting that Laura is now mothering Colton, the guy who was her sworn enemy until five minutes ago - which tells me that she is either really gullible, or his manipulative powers are even better than I think.

Candice is fierce, but her husband John really rubs me the wrong way - I find him a bit creepy.

What is up with Tyson and Aras?

My husband and I actually jumped up off the couch and cheered when Rupert was booted. Sadly however, since he technically was not voted out, he's still going to think he's the most popular Survivor player ever. :rolleyes:

30. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Loving the twist of this season. So much to think about. If we vote out so and so will their partner on the other team take their place. Lots of twists. So happy to see Rupert go and will cheer like a wild woman once Colton is voted out!!!