Survivor: Blood vs Water (cast spoilers, don't enter if you don't want to know!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

ITA - she was completely incoherent! And while we're on the topic, that stupid Elise from BB was unfortunately right in her spoiler this summer - she said that Kat goes early, and Hayden makes it close to the end but does not win. All along I had hoped she was wrong because I don't like Survivor spoilers, and had hoped that maybe she had been misdirected, but it seems obvious that Kat blabbed. Idiot.

Really glad Tyson won - a deserving winner from the beginning, and a great TC performance. I was struck when he said that he barely slept, thinking about the game and working every angle - A, B and C plans 24/7. The last person who talked like that was Boston Rob when he finally won the game. And while I'm not big on giving players 3 chances to win, I am big on seasons where getting to the end is not a fluke, but rather 39 full days of gameplay.

I don't get the Monica dynamic. Several of them asked her to be more vulnerable - after she was already pouring her heart out. And why is it so important to show vulnerability? What does that have to do with Survivor? Only other comment there was how great Monica looked in the finale :)

Poor Gervase - he wanted this so bad, and did in fact play a great game, just not great enough. Would have been nice for him to get one vote, but at the same time, I think he got a lot of respect. Didn't like Vytas going after him about old school - Vytas clearly wasn't listening because that was only half of the point Gervase was making, and it was a good one. In the first season, only one person really understood what kind of game it was, and one might have expected Gervase to be a lost puppy 14 years later, but instead he played hard and showed a great understanding of where the game is today (that would be new school, Vytas).

No time for bitter boy Vytas any more, but I thought Aras' question was great, and really brought the whole thing into focus. Tyson must've been cheering inside when both Gervase and Monica especially essentially pleaded his case, and then his own answer was brilliant. Acknowledge Monica's game play for any of the jury who were sympathetic (and I think a lot of them were), but point out something she did that she apparently didn't realize she had done because she didn't talk about it, and therefore make it your strategy instead of hers. Love it.

re 3 vs 2 at final TC - at first I didn't like it, but I do think it works now - never liked the goat tactic, or the tactic of bringing someone everyone hates. Also gave too much power to the person who won final immunity - they got to choose the person to bring, and this way it's still a hard battle to the end.

Onward - BBB - not sure about this one. Brawns and brains seems obvious as two of the attributes that can be very helpful in challenges as well as campwork/social game, but where does beauty fit in? Are they supposed to be the social people or something? Thoughts?

2. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Completed and in the can.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Please put it in spoiler tags since others might not want to know, but any word on if there will be returning players or an all new cast? There was something suspicious about Jeff asking Vytas if he would return.

4. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

Tyson did deserve the win (although I'm not a fan of his). With the HIIs and winning the last couple challenges he deserved it. Kat made a complete fool of herself about her boob job and Hayden just looked embarrassed about it. LOL Not sure I care for the next theme, but I'll watch anyway ;)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Good grief! The finale won't air until May ... how the heck are those people gonna keep that secret until then?! Just in casual conversation I would probably let it slip who was in the Final if I was there myself to know. I don't go searching for spoilers, so usually never come across them, but man that's a long time to keep quiet!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

??? Isn't the next one usually complete before airing ends on the previous one? That's why nobody knew who Russell Hantz was on his second season, except that he had played before.

ETA: According to Wiki, that season was unusual in that it was shot 20 days after the previous one ended.

7. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

As he should be. It's television! Who wants to watch a show with a flat, undramatic host?

Apparently she was referring to some sort of Twitter war that started when Colton made some nasty comment about her boob job and Hayden and Caleb got into a big fight over it? I dunno, and most of it has been deleted, but supposedly that is where the "top heavy" thing came from. She was trying to make a joke. Or something.

Isn't that the one they worked around Jeff's talk show, which is no longer a factor?

8. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I have not heard of any returning players (thank god), I haven't read into things too much, but it appears to be an all-new cast.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thanks Fridge Break!

10. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

So they're just going to cast people like they normally do, this time just being open about it? :lol:

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  11. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

Thanks Fridge Break :)

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think the "bitter jury" thing some of us were thinking about was based on three-second shots of unhappy faces during tribal councils...which apparently can last three to five hours? So just because a show is edited a certain way doesn't mean it's showing us what is true. Plus sometimes the reaction shots we get I think are edited in from something shot an hour later in tribal council, it's just added for dramatic effect and actually happened after the comment someone just made. So it's all just edited for our dramatic viewing pleasure. I take a lot of these shows with a grain of salt.

As for the Tyson win, I knew that was going to happen earlier than halfway through the season. Week after week I waited for everyone to get rid of the obvious winner. Some tried (Hayden and Ciera) but they just didn't have the numbers. Speaking of Ciera, I didn't like Jeff's comment about how she was a non-entity in the beginning. When you're on a tribe of nine which features five men who have formed an alliance...there's not much room for game play. All Ciera could do at that point was stay in the men's good graces and build connections with them. Which obviously she did as she was the last woman standing in her tribe.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Ares

Ares Guest

ITA.I feel so bad for Monica. She's clearly going through some sort of early mid-life crisis and wants a grand moment to shine before it's too late. She seems to be searching for something but doesn't know what it is or where to find it. It has to be frustrating to try to explain that to a jury.

I hope someday she is able to reflect on her life with pride, even if she never has her Eat, Pray, Love moment.

14. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

It just hit me--there was no Fan Favorite.

Bwahahaha! Rupert must have been crushed.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  15. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

I haven't missed them omitting the Walk of Dead Survivors the past few seasons but I am curious what Tyson would have had to say about some of the booted off players.

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains? I'd rather have Bitchy, Brassy, and Ballsy.

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I don't expect they will give Colton a third shot.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Would have been better if they had it because I can't imagine he would have got it since he was off the screen most of the season. Maybe Katie given the tragedy? I could see Ciera, Laura or Hayden winning too. Had the last ep already aired or if voting was during, maybe Monica, although I guess the perception would be that she has plenty of money.

Me either - it's just filler. I wondered if they did film it - when the three set off for final TC it looked like midday and then TC was fully dark - and then didn't use it as there was plenty of other good stuff to work with. Plus they knew they'd have all of them on stage minutes later.

19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I finally got a chance to see the finale - although the cbs player crashed halfway through the reunion show. it was during the commercial break before Probst threatened to give air time to Rupert and Colton, so I'd say it was a mercy chack.

Very well deserved win by Tyson. He really ran this game from start to finish - I was a bit put off by the whole "my girlfriend sacrificed herself for me" line (er...no she didn't, you just didn't sacrifice yourself for her), but other than that, he was golden. There was a half second where I actually thought *Monica* of all people might just win, and possibly because of Tyson's one OTT moment with Katie (which I recall saying was really unnecessarily rude - glad she called him on it)? oy! Maybe the most brilliant answer in TC was Tyson saying to vote for Monica over Gervase - it was really, really obvious her strategy wasn't great and didn't deserve it, but Tyson wasn't going to give Gervase, who actually did share the credit for many big moves, any airtime.

I was impressed with Tina winning the final RI challenge. That was a sucky challenge, though. :eek: Tina is hard as nails - she didn't give up her spot in the game to her daughter, no way in hell was she going to give Laura the win :lol: I also appreciated that Hayden snarked about going against 2 grandmothers (again) and was soundly beaten (again). :p

Ciera...she came a long way, but I think she got credit for being a way better player than she was. I don't need to see her play again, but I bet we'll see her before too long.

Monica - I keep getting to the point of really liking her, and then she spouts crap like "have you people just never met a nice lady before? Someone completely selfless and generous and good?". FFS! And she really needs to stop referring to herself in the third person :scream: But kudos to her for getting through a very tough experience that pushed her beyond her boundaries, for killing it in challenges, and for having an apparently great marriage even though she and her husband are likely a nightmare to be around.

Did Tyson flat iron his hair for finale? Awesome! And Gervase looked sharp.

Can't get het up about BBB idea.

20. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I don't care for that season after all. It was a bit .. bland no ?
    The only good part was how Ciera and Tyson draw the rocks. I liked that and really thought both deserved to win just because of that !

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I actually thought it was a great season. I skipped last season - first time ever - and wasn't enthused about this concept. I tuned in for the first ep just because I wanted to see how they set it up, and there were a couple of players I wanted to see. I didn't like the initial vote off (poor Candice :(), but once it got going, I really enjoyed the whole thing. Even, gasp, RI. And it turned out well - a deserving player won.

Not sure about the BBB concept, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and tune in to see how it goes.

22. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I just don't like the stereotyping, as if you are brainy, you can't possibly be beautiful, and if you are brawny, you can't possibly have a brain.

23. Peter_K

Peter_K Active Member

Have to admit that that I didn't think the blood vs. water thing would work but it really added an interesting dynamic to the whole thing. It turned out to be a great season.

Tyson deserved the win. He played the game well and was much less of jerk. Amazing what happens when you turn down the prick factor.

I guess I'm willing to give BBB a chance. I just hope that they have new, fresh, players for the next few seasons. One thing I'm getting tired of is the constant barrage of returning players.

--Peter

24. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I thought Blood v Water would be awful, and it wasn't, but I'm afraid Survivor will do what it does and now try to replicate the magic over and over again. BvW worked because it didn't go according to plan - producer favorite Rupert left immediately, RI ended up being 10 times more interesting than the rest of the game, the HII clues were repeatedly thrown out, and the best players were ones whose partners left the game early. The Loved Ones were mostly deadweight - Vytas played the role of Troubled Brother as directed (but lost), Hayden eventually woke up and started playing (too late), and Ciera saved the whole concept by voting against her mom, but otherwise the Loved Ones were really poor players. But there were some great moments - RI was actually fun, with real impact. Rocks were drawn!! Women dominated challenges! Colton left in a blaze of ignominy! Kat is still stupid! I'd call BvW a middle of the pack season but I fear we'll see a hard shift to more "theme" seasons.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The reference to BB is interesting - for those who don't watch it, a few seasons ago they divided the house into 4 teams ala high school - athletes, popular kids, brains and off beats. Jeff implies that some of the players aren't sure why they are in one tribe over another, or at least aren't happy with it - that happened in BB too. IIRC, the athletes and populars teamed up early, but the premise also went by the wayside fairly quickly as well. I also recall that on Heroes vs Villians, several players were miffed to be on one tribe rather than the other, and fans were confused too. Perhaps with 18 players, they'll do this for a few challenges and then merge at 12 or something. No word on RI.