Survivor: Blood vs Water (cast spoilers, don't enter if you don't want to know!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Aug 21, 2013.

1. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

It didn't make sense for Monica to flip. With her current alliance, she's guaranteed #3 at the very least. If she had flipped, she'd be #4 behind Ciera, Hayden and Tina/Laura M - I would think the returner is back after the next RI challenge.

If Hayden came back and somehow got to the end (which I doubt), I think he'd have a great chance at winning due to his performances at tribal council. The jury loved what he was doing, and may be reluctant to give the prize to someone like Ciera because of her flipping.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. Peter_K

Peter_K Active Member

I think you might as well just cut Tyson the check and be done with it. He really was the puppet master.

If he winds up in the final three with Gervase and Monica, it can be very simply argued that Tyson was the puppet master and Gervase and Monica were just lap dogs that did his bidding. They didn't even get angry when Tyson pulled out a immunity idol which he held back from the others. Hayden even spelled it out for them and they still didn't get it.

I can't imagine any thinking member of the jury buying any argument from Gervase. What exactly did he do again?

Now, if Hayden manages to get back into the game and then into the final 3, he could potentially argue that at least he tried to topple Tyson and that might get some disgruntled jury votes but in the end, it seems that Tyson learned from Boston Rob that you don't need to be a prick to win. All you have to do is realize that people want to be led and under proper leadership, will happily do whatever you want.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I know there's a whole season of his successful BB win to back this up, but in this game, this season, I don't see how this assertion could possibly be made. He's perceptive, but he's been a complete non-entity for a good half of the season. Editing hasn't given us the chance to see his brilliance. That said, I was surprised by how much I was hoping he and Ciera would convince Monica to flip :lol: It's an interesting F5 - plenty of good games going on, plenty of reasons I don't really want any of them to win :lol:

I thought Tyson not using the HII was also him sending a subtle signal to Monica that he trusts her. Talk about a perceptive player. Of course, Gervase was the target last night, so he didn't really need it, but Tyson could have given the HII to Gervase to save his alliance.

I think Gervase is way too explosive for FTC. The jury will be bitter, but I don't think Gervvase's game has been different enough AND he is prone to outbursts under pressure, not sure he can siphon votes away from his main alliance mate. Unless Gervase can somehow get rid of Tyson at the end :EVILLE:

No. But it has been a pleasure to see her kill it at RI again and again. Really hope the moms can keep up their streak. It will be a huge disappointment if the last one out goes back in the game after they've held on so long.

I would watch that, if it wasn't all beefcake-y and had tasks where brawn is a disadvantage. Include Parvati, Cochran, Kim Spradlin -- and who was the older farm woman who won some challenges? gah, I can't even remember what season...

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Now now, you know I lurvves me some Hayden so cut me some slack ;) But seriously, I do think he's demonstrated a very good understanding of the other players and what motivates them, and what's likely to move the meter. The problem is that he laid low for too long (as I already acknowledged), so it's a matter of great effort but too late.

Totally speculating, but I wonder if at the beginning he was concerned that he would stand out as a previous reality show winner and because often big athletic guys are early targets, so he stayed in the comfort zone of a bro alliance. Then when the big athletic guys started to be targeted (John, then Brad) he went even further undercover. When merge came, I can see the initial alignment with Tyson and Gervase - let someone else take the heat, and slipstream them in the hopes that you will not be their target. What Hayden should have done is strike at merge or soon after - had he hooked up with Aras and Vytas and some of the ones who felt alone at the time, he might have been able to play more of role in shaping the game.

Much as I'd love him to win, I think that looking back it will be his timing that was his eventual downfall.

Good point - I forgot that he had revealed he had it to Monica and Gervase. Might have also been a signal to Gervase as well, as Hayden tried to bring him around too and Tyson probably knows that.

I wonder if they even discussed it - Tyson might have said "look, it's our idol and no one is going to play it because all we need to do is vote together and it doesn't matter what the other two do, we're a lock. Doesn't matter who comes back, it's still their two against our three so no matter what, we're in the F4. When we get to that point, the only danger is the 4th person winning the final challenge - but we've got the odds on our side, and we're all going to final TC together."

Tyson needs to keep that idol until he knows who's coming back and he can assess the risk. Should be smooth sailing for his F3, but ya never know if Tina or Laura could bring Monica over to their side.

I guess the finale will start with an RI challenge to bring someone back (so five in the game), then a comp then TC to F4, then the final comp and TC to F3? Or will the RI winner come back to make up F4? Seems too late. And then when is the last chance to play the idol? TC with 5 left, or TC with 4 left? I think it's probably TC with 5 left, because otherwise the HII is a guaranteed ticket to the finale.

True, but what I'm finding time and again is that while I'm sitting on the couch telling all the players what they should be saying, it's Gervase who actually says it. As I said above, I do think his only hope is that the jury thinks one of the F3 is unworthy and that they hate Tyson enough to give it to Gervase, with the excuse that he played a decent if not brilliant game.

I don't really want Tina back in the game. I don't think she's played well enough and would hate her to get back in on a fluke of some kind. Laura has made her game mistakes too, but few in the history of Survivor have been as fierce as she has been, plus it's a far more interesting dynamic if she returns with Ciera still in the game than Tina coming back, not winning the next challenge and going right back out again.

Can't recall, and who was Kim Spradlin? Agree re Parvati and Cochran though. I think such a display would in itself would show that it's never been all about brawn - in fact, the big muscle guys are so often the first to get exhausted and not perform up to expectation. James would be the exception - he's another one I'd love to see in such a competition. The best players combine strength with stamina, brains, a cool head and hardcore competitive drive.

Mind you, without them living in Survivor conditions but rather coming straight from the gym, might be a whole different ballgame :lol:

5. genevieve

Gervase does often say it, but when he says it at TC, he usually then loses his cool. I think Tyson will know how to push his buttons in FTC.

Agree that Tina coming back would be a waste...plus the producers have to be salivating at the thought of their Blood v Water theme being part of the game up to the very end.

She won One World with a successful all-female alliance. Which means Probst probably never wants her back :lol: and I had to look up her name

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh of course! Yes, she can be in our challenge special :)

7. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So many great comments from all!
    If there was a challenge show, yes include James, with no shirt please! That would be interesting with all the others listed. Also maybe Tom W and Probst would want Colby!
    This whole season has been quite good, and I am still looking forward to the end. There are so many different ways it could end up, and more than one person, with a good FTC and winning immunity, to make a good argument - Tyson, Ciera, Gervase, Monica and possibly Hayden.
    I so agree that big deal if Tina comes back. Laura or Hayden would be most interesting. For Ciera, it might be better if Laura comes back, as Laura might be first to go if she does win immunity, and takes the target off Laura. But if Hayden comes back, target could still be on Ciera.
    So true about Hayden - unless it is the editing, it does not appear he could win.
    But Hayden and Ciera probably will be invited back to play again.
    Gervase - so true, I agree with so many of his comments, but he is very reactive. Definitely seems to have more game than the first time, and his FTC performance may be key, if jurors are bitter.
    I so love the jury reactions at TC - one of my fav parts of the show.
    Can't wait for Sunday. Should be great!

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

One thing I do hope is that Tyson makes it to the finale, if for no other reason than I really want to see his TC performance! If he and Gervase and Monica stick together, the only thing that can stop them is someone else winning immunity at F4, and then surely one or both of Monica and Gervase will cave and help vote him out - or cause a tie! Although I expect Monica to be a total bore in final TC - from that standpoint, I'd rather have Ciera or Hayden because you know they'll fight for it.

smurfy good point about returnees though - can't imagine how anyone still in the game won't get invited back as they are all good players - no real goats in the bunch - and all are making good tv. I've long been one to complain about returnees, but I have to admit I've really enjoyed this season - aside from some of the loved ones I barely remember from the beginning, everyone has really been here to play, and the mix has worked out really well. I also hate to admit but I think the relationships have made the difference - if the loved ones were another fan tribe like we've had in the past, I don't think things would have turned out so interesting and entertaining.

Thinking ahead to Sunday, I don't know if I'm :nopryde: or :scream: at the thought of Jeff slobbering all over Culpepper again, and you just know there will be a teary moment about Tina's son/Katie's brother. The question I really want Jeff to ask is for Hayden to compare Survivor and Big Brother - I'm a fan of both shows and we've never had someone play both (not to mention get far enough to really be able to comment), so I'll be interested in what he has to say. I'd also be interested to hear from Tyson's girlfriend, as long as she doesn't just say "you guys don't know him like I do" :yawn:

And please for the love of the Survivor gods limit Rupert's time or better yet skip him altogether since he was a non-entity and we already know what a wonderful growth experience this was for Laura and how they're closer than ever before now *insert barf icon*

9. genevieve

Probst has said that, after last season's finale, don't expect to see non-jury players on the stage again. I can't remember where I saw it - probably somewhere on EW. I don't really agree with it, but it would keep Rupert and Mrs Rupert off the finale!

There's enough to take up all the time on Sunday anyway. I was wondering if Tina/Katie would either not show up (assuming Tina is not in the running at FTC), or possibly request to not speak much. I can't imagine having to go on live (EST) tv to talk about a stupid game 10 days after your son/brother was killed :(

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Just checked Jeff's twitter - he says they will all be on stage Sunday. Guess they are making an exception because of the loved ones angle. Plus Jeff wants the world to see him with Culpepper again, no? Of course now I'm robbed of the inevitable cutaway to Kat sulking in the audience :lol:

I tried not to read much as you know how he telegraphs, but I did see a response to a fan question - a tie at F4 will go to firemaking, not rocks.

11. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

:yawn:

12. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Another thing that for me, is making the season more enjoyable. In the beginning of the episodes where it is right after the previous episodes TC - especially Hayden, there are complements to someone for good game, good move etc. No one is blowing up and all personal. Has there ever been this many folks that are playing, and even with some personal, is at least acknowledging decent game play? Yes the jury still looks it might be bitter ( what happened the zen of Vytas and Aras?) Hopefully the casting folks will realize how entertaining it is, and not having to see someone have a breakdown.

13. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Katie tweeted that they will be there. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for them. Although perhaps they view it as an opportunity to reflect on happier thoughts. You know that the death is going to be brought up, though. I just hope that Jeff & Co. are tasteful about it.

Happier thought: read today that Survivor was renewed for seasons 29 and 30! :cheer2:

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's why I originally thought we might get a good jury that assesses gameplay, but one by one they seem to be turning bitter unfortunately.

I wonder if watching at home Aras and Vytas see what they've done to themselves - they started out as heroes, and now they just look like sore losers. One more chance to redeem themselves - will they be classy jurors, or not?

15. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I do too - it was very tough to watch how emotional Tina got over Katie leaving Survivor and talking about how much Katie means to hear knowing that she would face a much tougher loss with her son, who I'm sure means just as much to her.

On a happier note, I enjoyed this episode even though it basically turned out the way you would expect. Loved Ciera winning immunity...I guess she was right when she said back before the first immunity that she was good at puzzles and I'm glad she's finally had the chance to show it - maybe she just needed more experience. I also loved Ciera and Hayden talking about how hot Katie looked as a jury member, as I totally agree with them - she's a knockout!

16. genevieve

I haven't been watching Ponderosa videos this season - are Vytas and Aras really getting bitter? Cause I haven't seen anything on the show that makes me think they've taken this huge bitter nosedive.

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm wondering the same thing. What have others seen that I have not which has them posting all this BITTER JURY stuff?? :huh:

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Maybe I'm misinterpreting then if others aren't seeing it - and I do hope you are all right!

I thought Vytas turned into another person on RI - no more zen and all kinds of attitude, and I thought I recalled him making a few comments that were more "you betrayed me" than "well played." Even before he left - and I thought still had a shot - he seemed to give up, becoming a bit of a jerk and being all revengy about Aras. Then as we see them at TC, they always seem to be sneering and rolling their eyes - but then again maybe that's just how they like to edit, ie player says something/cut to jury not believing them.

And didn't someone - maybe Vytas or Caleb - refuse to look at or acknowledge the gallery at an RI challenge? And wasn't it Caleb who got to RI and accused Tyson and Gervase of betraying him, which was when Gervase said "we only turned on you after we got word that you and Hayden were turning on us." I thought he looked pretty ticked off at TC too.

Has anyone seen their Ponderosas? The videos are blocked for me.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  19. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^ I think it was Vytas that did a 'don't even talk to me' move when he lost the RI challenge and they tried to give him a hug or something. Is that what you mean?

20. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

Vytas didn't want Laura to hug him after he lost the duel. Which was understandable since Laura had just openly helped Tina eliminate him. And I think it was Caleb who didn't look at anyone when he came into the duel and, when Jeff asked him about it, started that stuff about Tyson/Gerv betraying him.

21. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I'll get to my thoughts on the finale later, but seeing Tina & Katie looking so dressed up and nice when the show went live just had me tearing up for them and what they are going through. I wish I could just give them a big hug.

22. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Glad to see the jury wasn't all bitter cakes and gave it to the puppet master. Now he needs to buy a new shirt.

Guess Gervase didn't get a vote? :lol:

Not surprised to see everyone on stage - there's NO WAY Probst and Co. would miss the chance to shove Rupert and Dante Culpepper down our throats yet again. :rolleyes:

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i feel like i've heard monica filibuster for days

24. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

What on earth was Kat trying to say?

25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I think Kat got a boob job and wants to move closer to Hayden. Hopefully he runs.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  26. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:cheer: for Tyson. My heart breaks for Tina and Katie.

So next season is Brawn vs Brains vs Beauty. Meh -- not crazy about the labels.

27. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Ok. I am getting a lot better at winner's edit than I thought. But Gervase I think I never guessed right :)
    I am really happy with the puppet master's win :) Yeahhhhh :)

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

"Monica."

"Tyson."

Pause.

"That's one vote Monica...one vote Tyson."

Pause.

"We're at a tie."

"Tyson."

"That's two votes Tyson, one vote Monica."

"Tyson."

"That's three votes Tyson, one vote Monica."

Wait, I'm all confused with all these votes you're reading off!!! Where do we stand again???!!!

Nobody can host like you, Probst. I smell another Emmy!

29. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ :lol: Dramatic ... isn't he.

I actually can't believe all the Bitter-sons didn't come out and vote Monica just to spite Tyson and not allow him to win! Well, except for Vytas, but I saw that vote coming a mile away. I wasn't expecting the sweep he got otherwise. Tyson did deserve the win, and I did like his sneakiness with the HII (will they please start hiding those damn things harder!!). I was screaming for him to win those last two challenges just so they did not have the option to try to vote him out, just to see how people would vote when he was Final 3. I still don't like the Final 3 option though. I prefer a Final 2. Especially since most of the time since we went to Final 3, one person almost always ends up getting no votes. I wish they would go back to a Final 2 only.

The B-B-B clue had me uttering Brains-Brawn-Beauty as soon as they flashed on the screen. Not too hard to figure that one out. So I guess this is the theme they came up with to try to get Rupert back in the game --- again! --- huh? He sure as hell ain't a Beauty, and he ain't a Brain, so I guess that's where the Brawn category comes in. ;) I'm just guessing here. I have no clue what the cast is for this theme, but I'm thinking that's the play they were going for, no? :lol:

When do they start filming the B-B-B season, or has it already been completed and in the can at this point?

30. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

B B B season ? The next one ? LOL I love your Brains Brawn Beauty :)