Survivor 28 Cagayan---Beauty vs Brains vs Brawn

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

So the new cast is out:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/22/survivor-cagayan-new-cast-nba-all-star-north-korea-cliff-robinson/

I personally think the season has potential, with some diversity to the casting.

Find it Interesting that David was able to get away from the Marlins in the middle of the season when this was filmed back in June/July.

And I'm glad that CBS is waiting till February 26th for its debut. Guess they knew going up against the Olympics, even if its taped delayed coverage was a bad idea.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

pml, most players' listed occupations give some idea why they are on what tribe (other than the beauty one - although even that one is pretty aligned with their careers), but one of the women on the "brawn" tribe is a hairstylist.
  3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

When I saw the brawn picture I was "how did that skinny guy get in there". Then I saw martial arts. Got it.
  4. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

And then there's the really cut guy on the brains tribe, who looks brawnier than a lot of the brawn tribe members.

The beauty tribe.....hmm, well, I will reserve judgment.
  5. Catherine M

The cut guy on the brains tribe, Garrett is a professional poker player. Since the beauty tribe is suppose be for the ahem not so smart people, he really didn't fit there at all as most poker players are pretty smart.

On paper, I'm most interested in the brains tribe with Garrett and David the Marlins president. That's a couple of cut throat professions right there. And they don't look that unfit in their cast photos so hopefully they won't be a total disaster in the early comps.
  6. Prancer

Me, too, but maybe not for the same reason.

The brains tribe does not necessarily have the best camp, but in talking to them, you would be certain that they did by the way they talk. And it’s interesting watching that play out and how much of that is because they really are the smart tribe and how much is that they believe they are the smart tribe because they’ve been told they are the smart tribe, so they start behaving as the smart tribe.”

IME, "smart" people are smart at school-related things. They tend to underestimate the intelligence of people who don't have the same kinds of smarts. And when they aren't in school, well, they often don't come off as all that smart.

But it looks like an interesting cast--and there are no returning players! :cheer2:
  7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Yes. No returning players. The best part!
  8. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

YES THIS. :respec:

I probably won't make much of an effort to learn names before the season starts -- it usually only takes me 2 episodes before I have most of the players nailed down. Don't really have time to comb through them today, but I did watch the promo video up on the CBS website. Looks like they have an engaging bunch. I'll be interested to see if the guy that was talking all the talk about wanting to be the one to crush people's hopes and dreams really follows through.

I think some of the brains/brawn look better than a few on the beauty tribe.. :shuffle:

ETA: Regarding what Catherine posted in the original post about starting after the Olympics, it's seriously a smart move, because a couple of low(er) weeks in the ratings can really bring the season down as a whole. Much better to start things after the Olympics are over instead of losing a bunch of viewers 2/3 episodes in and then having them come back in episode 6 when they have missed what's going on and aren't at all into the season and just give up on it altogether.
  9. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

oh thank goodness I'm so glad someone else thought this
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Inner beauty, Prancer. Inner beauty. :saint:
  11. Catherine M

So any thoughts on Fox's planned new show, called "Utopia"!? Its suppose to combine aspects of Survivor and Big Brother but last over a whole year, not just a few months.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Utopia-Reality-John-DeMol-1076491.aspx

If it does come to be, it will be interesting to see who gets cast. I don't think Fox would pull anyone from the CBS reality tv family but you never know since the guy producing it also produces Big Brother.
  12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Bumping up to remind everyone that the new season starts tomorrow! (Wed Feb 26)
  13. Catherine M

I'm taking a break from reality TV--Amazing Race, Bachelor, etc but do plan on watching Survivor.

Hope it turns out to be a decent season. I kinda lost interest last season half way through but with all new people this year, it should be ok.
  14. Fridge_Break

I didn't realize this was starting tonight, and I am super excited! :cheer2: With TAR doing a season of crappy returnees that I have no desire to watch, I am excited for an ALL-NEW cast on Survivor this time around (finally).
  15. Catherine M

Early favorite tribe: the brawn, just cause they didn't make a big deal (so far) of Cliff being a ex-NBA player.
  16. Catherine M

Great 2n hour as that was one of the best blindsides ever. And Garrett leaves with an idol in his pocket!! The brains better hope for some non physical immunity challenges or they are all will be following David and Garrett to sequesterville!

Crazy start to the season. Can't wait for next week!
  17. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Two of the most unlikeable players blindsided the first night.
  18. Prancer

Am psychic! :lol:
  19. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the "brains" people continue to lose because most of that tribe seem to be a bunch of losers with regard to life skills. Who in their right mind continues to keep someone who is nothing but a hindrance in challenges both physically and mentally. Who can't seem to function under pressure but sure know how to tell people what to do. Then we have someone who doesn't seem to really want to be there. Oh yeah, he's gone now. They are just a stupid group of people, so it would seem. I don't see a "Cochrane" among them.

Think I will also be rooting for the brawn group. They seem to be able to think things through, work as a team and then apply muscle when needed.
  20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

How is David an executive at anything? I like Kass, too bad she's stuck with the brain tribe. I can understand her flipping on Garrett after his lying at TC. She had one shot to dump him and she can get rid of L'RiceBurner next week. Jeff was just stunned by Garrett (and not in a good way). Garrett wanted to just be in control and not rough it? Who screens these people?

Spy shack cop is odd. Like cuckoo odd.

Beauty peeps? Well, the one guy is entertaining, but I forget his name already. :shuffle:
  21. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

So what happens to the idol? I guess you can't go through someone's belongings and steal it but if some finds where he left it do they get to keep it? Or does production take it and rehide it?
  22. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

J'Tia did everything short of walk out and she still survived 2 tribals. :lol: Most other seasons just the initial bossiness would have gotten her the boot.
  23. genevieve

I missed the first few minutes - what happened with the individuals who were sent ahead? Was one person on each tribe randomly selected to decide who the weakest link was?

Brawn Tribe - is great! TonyVinDiesel is an interesting character, but very likely to overscheme. He should have come clean to SheCop (Sarah?) when she spotted him, although it looks like he will do so next week. Love her! On the fence about OlderPilatesLady, and the little we saw of Hairdresser I didn't care for - she seemed oversensitive and snipey. And why again is a super skinny hairdresser on the brawn team again? Do we know her secret super power? Digging the Cliff n' Woo show :p

Brains Tribe - what a freaking hot mess! :lol: oh man, I was feeling sorry for JaTia - she came on too strong about the shelter, was the weakest in challenge #1, survived first TC because Garrett wanted revenge for having been picked weakest, blew the lead at the next challenge and then had to sit there while Garrett made it clear she was going and no one could talk about it. I mean, she's a crap player, but that all seemed rough. And then she dumps all the rice on the fire :duh: I found Kass annoying and overly analytical, but I was right with her when she said "how can I align with someone who does that???". Nevertheless, seeing Garrett dig his own grave at TC was enjoyable in an eville way. He seemed earlier like he was bored with it all anyway, if he hadn't been eliminated I fear he'd have quit anyway. Poor Tasha - she got screwed getting put with these people! here's hoping the last 4 can get through at least one challenge without failing again. And pml to Blah Blondie Pup's comment about being welcomed to the bottom :p

"Beauty" tribe - there is a shocking lack of good looking people on this tribe. NFL cheerleader chick? Has gigantic boobies that bounce around a lot but otherwise doesn't have much to recommend her. Dark haired chick is ok, I guess, but overall this tribe seems like an inside joke on the part of the casting team.

:cheer2: for no returning players! :D
  24. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Each tribe as a whole had to select a "leader" and then that person had to immediately decide the weakest link.
  25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

David...NEVER take on a leadership role in Survivor!! Not too smart to paint a target on yourself like that.

Garrett...women don't like sexist pigs who make decisions for them without even consulting with them first. See ya, caveman!

Those who end up on a tribe of people as equally as zany as J'Tia! :eek:

Jeff had each tribe peak a leader. Then Jeff had each leader pick the weakest person on the tribe. The three "weakest" players were then taken to camp by truck, boat and helicopter while everyone else had to hike to their camps. The "weakest" players found a note that said they could choose between two things. Either a second bag of rice, or a clue to a hidden immunity idol. Only Trish (Pilates lady) on the brawn tribe picked rice. Garrett found his immunity idol and Morgan on the beauty tribe did a lot of searching, but did not find hers. Morgan covered well when her tribe arrived though. She told them she could choose comfort items or the items that were already at camp, so she picked the stuff on hand and not the comfort items (which the others assumed somebody on the production team took away).
  26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I really enjoyed that - so refreshing to have all new players! Agree with many of your comments, will add a few of my own:

Brains tribe - To me the rice burning is not only unforgivable but screams that this is a very difficult and volatile personality who must be eliminated immediately. I wonder if the other 3 are just hoping to keep her around to protect themselves. The person who really impressed me on that tribe is Spencer (tall blonde dude) - wisely playing it neutral but clearly understanding everything. I predict he will go far.

Beauty tribe - For those of you who don't watch BB, there are a few of these every season. I don't know who is telling these girls how hot they are that they think they can manipulate all men, but somehow they never do when they get on BB or Survivor. And somehow they are never hot either :lol: Who was the guy who broke it down to cute vs hot? He gets the game, and I think is another who will go far.

Brawn tribe - Agree that cop dude is overplaying in a big way, and he should be thankful they haven't gone to tribal yet. The producers must've thought the two cops would automatically align and be a serious force, so maybe they are as surprised as I am that he's continuing his over thought out lie. NBA player is a big old teddy bear, love him, and Wu is great too. Pilates girl has a massive chip on her shoulder and I predict her to be the one that breaks down at some point about how tough her life has been and how she's doing this to prove something to herself and her kid.

re book brains vs street brains - they did try to work in some street brains with the poker player and some practical brains with the trial lawyer, so they weren't going just for IQs (average 130? That ain't that smart). I think what that team was missing was cohesion and the right kind of leadership - the kind that inspires and brings out the best in people, not the kind that bosses everyone around.

Also, I'm really good at puzzles, but I know better than to boast about it if I was on Survivor - where I'm doing it against others, don't want to let down my team, don't want to look like an idiot on tv, am exhausted from the physical part of the challenge and am hungry and dehydrated. Quite different than sitting with a nice cup of tea on a Sunday afternoon doing the puzzles in the New York Times magazine :)

One other thing I wanted to ask - did those of you in the US get a full opening title sequence? Because I didn't see one and suspect that Global cut it so they could insert a couple more commercials. :mad:
  27. Catherine M

I think that Kass was going to align herself with Garrett & Spencer but once Garrett started to go all over the place at the 2nd tribal council, she flipped her vote. Will that help her stay longer in the game, who knows. J'Tai does seem mentally unstable; another one for the list on how the hell did they pass the psychology test. I personally think destroying the food should be a one way ticket off the show by Probst and company.

Yeah, I'm not seeing much beauty in the beauty tribe either. And that one guy is a model!?!?

I too like JL, the guy that divided the beauty girls into "hot and cute" alot. He and Brice seem to have a good handle on what is going on so far.

From the previews, it looks like the beauty girls are going to be a big ole mess next week with dealing with the all the bad weather. I guess they missed the memo on the "Survivor" part of the game and just were interested in being on TV! Ha!

I love the brawn tribe. Cliff and Woo look like they could be a great duo and the paranoid cop and his spy shelter should make for some good TV. I guess he was planning on being the Alpha male and everyone loving Cliff over him has made him even more crazy.

Not sure about the hairdresser and the whiny Pilates girl but Cliff, Woo, CrazyCop and SheCop make up for those two.

I never saw one on CBS either.
  28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I wonder about stuff like this too - I recall we've had many discussions about this when it's come up in previous seasons, and it would be nice if the producers posted the rules somewhere so we'd know. But then again, I guess they prefer that we speculate, and that they can change the rules if they decide to.

Every time someone hides it outside their personal belongings, I wonder what would happen if someone else stole it or found it innocently - they could have noticed disturbed ground or a fork in a tree and thought they'd found the one the producers had hidden.

I also wonder if off camera they're all looking for them all the time. I know I would.
  29. genevieve

I forgot the spy shelter! :lol:

CBS has played so loose with the Survivor/BB casting, it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the "beauty" girls had intended to be on Big Brother.

And agree that Kass was likely planning to vote off J'Tia, but Garrett became totally unhinged at TC and Kass probably realized that he was an even worse bet to keep.
  30. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I thought this was a great start to the season too! I'm with you guys on liking the brawn tribe the best (although I want the brain tribe to get it together since I feel like that's where I'd end up). But so far, loving Cliff, Woo, and Sarah/SheCop. I also have decent vibes on Spencer, Kass, and Tasha. Not sure if I dig anyone on the Beauty tribe yet but I also liked the line from LJ about hot girls vs. cute girls, and I give Morgan props for the lie she came up with about the decision she had to make.

Yeah, I agree. I think that as awful as J'Tia was with the rice burning, she is someone that will be easy to take out later. Whereas Garrett is trying to play the game too much and could be very dangerous.

Also, I watched the episode late so I knew who had been voted off and I was a little bit entertained at the thought of J'Tia having cut off her nose to spite her face because she is now stuck on the tribe with no rice and it's her own damn fault. Hopefully the other tribe members use that to their advantage a bit and get her to pick up some slack on getting good since they don't have any.

Ha! I thought the same thing...especially if there are some people who do have insanely high IQs, that means that there must be at least one or two with more normal IQs to bring the average down.
  31. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wish they hadn't told them they were Brains, Brawn, and Beauty. It would have been better for them to figure out how they were grouped themselves.

Though I think it is hysterical that the singled out Brain guy thought he was because he was the weakest, when the reason he was picked was because he was the strongest; so much for Brains.

I'm rooting for the Brawn tribe. Except for 'not a cop' cop guy- they all seem fairly likeable for now.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  32. Catherine M

Some coworkers and I were just talking about that at lunch, that we thought that Morgan & her boobies and Jefra and her beauty queen self were pulled from the BB casting herd to be put on Survivor. Maybe that male "model" too.
  33. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We'll know for sure if any of them mentions the word "showmance."
  34. Prancer

If the idol is kept in a player's personal belongings, then it is that player's personal property and thus cannot be taken by another player. If a player hides the idol in the woods, however, Jeff has said that it's fair game. He brought this up on twitter a couple fo seasons ago and I kept waiting for someone to find a hidden idol on the show. Alas.

I expect that Garrett's idol has been taken and rehidden; that's happened in the past, IIRC.

I think that the rules allow for a lot of decision-making on the fly. Jeff has always had a lot of leeway to make decisions as things come up.
  35. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I remember you mentioning that Prancer - might have been the season with the three or four small tribes where one person had the clue and two others found it with her and essentially took ownership of it. Weren't we speculating on what would happen if one of the players stole it from its hiding place?

And updating the discussion, after last season we talked a bit about how they have reduced camera crews and might not be catching all the important action and discussions - I could see where a player might hide it without the producers knowing where it is (unless they ask them post boot perhaps), or even more intriguing, a scenario of finding one and not telling anyone, including the cameras. Can you imagine the scene - a big TC blindside about to happen, and the victim whips out an HII that not a single person in the world knew they had!
    BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  36. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

That was the plan. But Garrett's poor tribal council performance was the straw that broke the camel's back. He was already a problem. J'Tai only did something (incredibly) stupid in the spur of the moment after being cornered by her tribe (once again). (It's never a good tribal strategy to corner one of your players). But on top of that, Garrett made a group decision on the spur of the moment about two things: who should go and that there should be no discussion on this matter. He made both decisions without consulting anybody. He kept stepping up to the plate and striking out and then striking out and then striking out. J'Tai was simply the lesser of two evils.

I thought that if someone got booted at tribal council but had left their belongings back at camp, then someone from the production team would collect their belongings and return them to that evictee. Minus the immunity idol, which would be rehidden.
  37. Prancer

I don't think so. Several players have mentioned being happy that someone else left their stuff behind because it meant more clothes for the others; sometimes you can see one of them wearing a bootee's shirt or shoes later in the show. When Jonathan got blindsided after leaving his stuff in camp, he asked that somebody bring him his hat--and someone did at the next TC, which I thought was against the rules (no interaction between jurors and players) but got nothing more than a laugh.
  38. Fridge_Break

PML :lol: What a fantastic start! I can't remember a premiere that was this good, at least in the later seasons. This group is already proving that you don't need returning players to have a great cast. Let's just hope they continue to deliver throughout the season.

I'm half wanting J'Tia to bumblefcuk her way all the way to the end just for the lulz. A good villain is an essential part to a great season, so here's to hoping.

Have barely anybody's names down yet, because I don't really study the cast pre-show anymore. I'd rather watch the episodes and have my favorites develop from there.

I'm so glad that this season is looking promising, because TAR is a shatfest :blah:
  39. Prancer

Model guy's modeling shots: http://www.maxtalent.com/models/model.cfm/Jeremiah-Wood/0/id/200

I was LOL at this one: Blue Steel!

He expected to be on the Brawn team--"I’m not the smartest or prettiest guy."

Miss Teen Kentucky in her day job: http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...cf7befe219d8d7ead02daa26501.jpg?itok=3yhhisHG and http://spotlightonsuccess.net/wp-content/gallery/client-gallery/jefra-bland.jpg

The hot girl with the grudge: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dQEiFHun1...IYU/5k_rp1uD6cs/s1600/Morgan McLeod cheer.png and http://i.imgur.com/5DKvYnu.png (my husband think she's hot enough to carry the whole tribe)
  40. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Wow. So are players told that the things they bring on the show become community property? I guess they don't really bring that much stuff, so maybe it doesn't matter- but it seems weird they don't get their things back.