Sunday 11/21 NBC broadcast of Improv-Ice with online fan voting

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Sylvia, Nov 21, 2010.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I don't care for Sasha's dress in this program and I'm all ready tired of Foreigner. If they were doing the picture in picture thing so we could see the skater I might like this better. :( :yawn:

2. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I like Jeremy's outfit better than either of his competitive outfits this season. :lol:

And now Sasha gets stuck with a boring song nobody's heard before.

3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Sasha's triples looked really crisp here!

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I've heard it.

5. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

it's really amazing how much this new lead singer sounds like Lou Gramm.....as i totally date myself here, :lol:

6. Era

Era New Member

So far mostly this show has made me go search out Videos of the original band with Lou Gramm performing, (nostalgia) instead of paying attention to the skating.:shuffle: I agree that they should have done a window within window thing for the second part of the show.

As far as the first part of the show, I liked Jeff & Sasha best, but Jeff deserved a better song, he can do a lot with nuances in the music and musically that song had none. Evan is not good at improvisation. He's a hard worker (I really enjoyed him on DWTS) but he's just not a spontaneous performer. Not picking on Evan, I know I'm totally hopeless in improv, it's not an ability everyone has.

Ok, Jeff Rocked that one! and the part of the ad with Ilia K. was a bonus.
    Way to go Joannie! That was great, she really showed excellant musicality.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Ohhhhh, poor Joannie got saddled with Hot Blooded. :(

8. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'm probably the only one who's watching for Foreigner.

I liked the first Improv Ice, but I've been bored by the skating in every other one.

9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Hot Blooded is their best song, ever. Lots of babies born in the late 70s were conceived to a Foreigner song. :lol:

10. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

The improv-ing underlines what a skill the ability to create good choreography really is.

11. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Evan looks good in those leather/pleather pants imo.

12. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

This second improv by Evan works for me. The song suits his style so he didn't have to stretch to get this one. And I think his DWTS experience with paso, etc. definitely helped his presentation here.

13. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I totally wouldn't mind seeing Alissa/Jeremy skate Pairs together. They look like they'd really suit each other.

14. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I wish they'd add Pairs and Ice Dances to Improv Ice.

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Awwwww, the best part of the final group number was seeing Jeremy and Alissa skate together. They looked SO GOOD together! :swoon::encore::cheer2:

16. museksk8r

:lol: My exact thoughts too! Of all the pairings, they looked the most convincing as a couple. SO CUTE!

17. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

i am in this line too

18. museksk8r

:lol: Thank goodness Joannie got that choice! Of all the women here, she's the only one who I think can pull this music off.

19. museksk8r

Overall, a pretty clean skated event. Evan was the only skater to fall.

20. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Maybe dance rather than pairs?

Interesting that Jeremy relates better to a partner than he does as a single to the audience. Maybe if in his SP he could imagine a partner on the ice- it might come across better?

I do wish they'd work up an exhibition -they look well together on the ice.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

But she wins the competition for most uses of the word "healthy" in a 30-second spot.

Add me to the list of those who are disgusted by the constant cutaways to the band. :wall: Someone needs to get to the family members of the NBC higher-ups and convert them all to skating fandom, and get them clamoring for better coverage of the skating. Then we wouldn't have to put up with this crap.

22. museksk8r

Jeremy was once a competitive ice dancer and a pairs skater as well, so it's no surprise to me that he has a good ability to relate well with a partner on the ice. :)

23. MichelleTodd

MichelleTodd Active Member

In my opinion, too.:smokin:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  24. MichelleTodd

MichelleTodd Active Member

The black-and-white shirt in the first number and the leather pants in the second one:rofl: I've never seen him wear anything like either one before!

Seriously, improvisation isn't Evan's forte, megafan though I am. The only guy I loved was Ryan "Dirty White Boy" Bradley. For the gals, I enjoyed Flatt, Rochette, and Czisny.

25. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

My highlight was Ryan Bradley telling the story of his first improv competition, as a child, when he had just learned to do a single axel, so he did a program that consisted of something like 14 single axels, one after another.:lol:

26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well. I totally spaced this, but it looks like I didn't miss much. Thanks for posting the routines upthread. . . each of them includes approximately 10-15 seconds showing the actual skater. If that. Per clip: Five seconds of "Cold-Eeze Improv Ice," 2 seconds of skater, 5 seconds of aging rocker, 3 seconds of skater, 4 seconds of aging rocker, 5 seconds of skater, und so weiter, und so weiter, und so weiter, for a total of 45 seconds of the program. Sigh.

27. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

He does kind of sound like Lou Gramm, or at least Lou Gramm before he had an operation. Unfortunately, his voice is just not the same nowadays. Gramm's new band put out an album last year, and his power is largely gone.

Don't be so sure. :) I was just changing channels and saw the program. I had no idea it was going to be on. I heard Foreigner and saw skating and was like, "I'm so sorry I didn't tape this!" By that point, though, it was almost over. :( But based on some of what I've read here, maybe I didn't miss all that much, except for the live music. ;)

28. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

It's so clear, I'm sorry to say...
    But if you wanna win you gotta learn how to play
    Head games.
    :lol:

BTW, did anybody skate to that one? :)

29. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Actually not true! I attended this event live in Loveland and Jeremy had an awkward fall on a 2 axel in the Foreigner portion of the event and I was very surprised that they edited out his fall but not Evan's. They did not do any re-takes the night of filming so I expected all falls to be in the televised show. You can search the archives for my review of Improv ice after the filming in September. Interesting how live and TV the skaters come across differently. I thought Sasha won it that night but her skate didn't come across quite as fab on TV. Also Rachel pumped up the volume and really was impressive in the Foreigner number live but the edits really took away from it. Plus it seemed that the edits on Evan doing Foreigner showed a lot of back crossovers but I remember much more content from him in his Foreigner number. I knew the edits for the 2nd half would really wreck the feel of each skater's entire performance.

Also forgot to mention that Alissa Czisny fell on a triple loop during the filming and they edited it out. If I were Evan I would lodge a protest!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  30. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

BTW I swear by Cold-eeze. Always have some in my purse and around home. Have told tons of people about it. My 80 year old mom swears by it too. The trick is you have to take it at the first sign of a cold...like the first twinge in your throat or peppery nose!