Summer Holiday advice/suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I am finally taking two weeks off for the summer, and am waiting to stay in Asia for cost reasons. I'd love any suggestions for places to travel that are both cheap to get to, and cheap to stay! I live in Beijing. I am looking for a relaxing time, but love the beach, hiking, skating :)P), the outdoors and animals. I'm equally happy doing stuff as I am lazing around. I will be travelling alone. I am not that into tourist-y landmarks, but I will visit them if they're there, and I dislike travelling in-country (like between cities) unless it's by plane, which is too expensive, or it's quick.

At the moment, based on airfare+taxes and having an Australian passport, I'm looking at (from cheapest flight to most expensive but there's only around 1,000 RMB/US$150 difference):
    1. Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    2. Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
    3. Vientiane (Laos)
    4. Siem Reap (Cambodia)
    5. Yangon (Myanmar/Burma)

Does anyone have any further suggestions, or any pros/cons about my list? Any strong recommendations for or against travelling to any of these places?

Basically, I'm wanting to get out of China, and am willing to go anywhere as long as it's cheap and safe :) I'll be going around the end of June to mid-July and I don't mind heat at all.