"Sultry Blonde" Anne of Green Gables Book Cover Causes Controversy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Feb 7, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont remember her owning a plaid work shirt

that looks like a still from season 1 of dawson's creek

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

It would appear that nobody involved in this decision had actually read the books!

4. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

It's just wrong. :yikes:

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  5. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

"it's blonde, ain't it?"

the girl let the braid drop back with a sigh that seemed to come from her very toes and to exhale forth all the sorrows of the ages.

"yes, it's blonde," she said resignedly. "now you see why i can't be perfectly happy. nobody could who had blonde, hair."

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

This is so wrong.

7. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Well, she should have red hair, but I must say that when I read that she was "sultry," I was expecting something more along the lines of a plunging neckline, visible cleavage and a through-the-eyelashes come hither look. It sure wasn't something that would have looked right at home on a book in the 50s.

8. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

As I saw on Twitter, Gilbert called her 'carrots', not 'turnips'.

Alixana and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

lol, that is hilarious. Whoever put that cover on there obviously knows NOTHING about the books, otherwise they would have known that they could have put ANYONE on the cover and it would have been fine AS LONG as she had red hair. I mean, "Anne of Green Gables" is practically synonymous with red hair, haha!

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Pulp novels excepted. I love the lurid covers of the 40s and 50s drugstore novels.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Saw that the other day -- isn't it awful? Of course, the irony is that now this little self-published version is getting all kinds of attention that it wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I doubt it'll translate into sales, though, so their marketing strategy may have backfired on them.

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

A friend posted this on her Facebook page last week. My immediate response was "oh, it's Anne of Heartland." :lol:

Honestly, as wrong as this picture is (wrong era, demeanour, and obviously wrong haircolour) ... what disturbs me more is the fact that anyone can use "CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform" to just take Montgomery's text, slap a Photostock image on it, and sell it as theirs. I know that's how it works when a publishing copyright expires ... but it's still wrong in my book.

14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Sultry?

15. backspin

backspin Active Member

I'm a little surprised her estate didn't get the copyright extended, sometimes I believe they can do that.

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I would actually be very surprised if Sullivan Productions can't go after them.

And can someone who can rep please rep Kruss for the 'turnips' comment? :lol:

17. Artemis@BC

Sullivan owns the rights to their own televised productions, not to the original text. There was a publisher on CBC radio the other day who said that the novels are public domain, although the copyright for some of Montgomery's short stories is still in effect.

Found the interview online: interview (probably geoblocked)

18. Artemis@BC

:respec:

:rofl:

19. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

This cover has nothing, nothing to do with Anne of the Green Gables. It is one of the worst examples of misleading book covers ever. :angryfire:yikes::angryfire

(Yes, I am a huge L.M. Montgomery fan who has even travelled to Prince Edward Island because of her books.)

20. overedge

Even though the book is in the public domain, I wouldn't be surprised if the Anne of Green Gables Licensing Authority (yes, it really exists) goes after them too.
    http://www.gov.pe.ca/anne/license.php3

21. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Done!

22. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Thanks, all! I wish I could take credit for that, but I saw it on Twitter. The funny thing is, I had no idea what they were talking about at the time, but of course saw it later in this thread.

23. overedge

24. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

25. March_Hare

March_Hare Member

:yikes: Unbelieveable. Did anyone else have to double-check the calendar to make sure it was not April 1st?