1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide The Amazing Race IV: Happy La-La Peace & Harmony Everybody Lives Edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Even The Cure lightened up the mood on occasion. So, why not us?!!

:cheer: Introducing the Happy La-La Peace & Harmony Everybody Lives Edition of Suicide Amazing Race. :cheer:

The rules are the same, except for the no-suicide thing … nobody dies! No resuscitations, but no :violin: either. Instead, you score a point when your pick survives, and merely score zero when your pick is eliminated. Oh, but you still may use each pick just once!

RULES:

*EDITED 9/27 TO REFLECT BEEFY'S LATEST REVISION*

1. During the week leading to TAR19 episode 2 (October 2, 2011) anyone wanting to participate in this game will submit - on this thread - the name of a TAR team they feel will survive the upcoming week's episode. Sample weekly submission: WEEK 2*: Ethan & Jenna.

(*I’ll give you all one point for an imaginary “week 1” so that our Week 2 and TAR19's Week 2 are in synch.)

2. Weekly submission must be prior to the start of each episode's first showing (i.e. Eastern Time)

3. If your week's pick/team survives the episode, you will score 1 (one) Suicide TAR IV point for that week. (TOTAL PTS POSSIBLE: 6 to 8, depending on how many elimination rounds there are between Week 2 and the final Sunday.)

3a. If your week's pick/team is eliminated, or if you forget to submit a pick or submit “no pick” as your pick, you will score 0 (zero) Suicide TAR IV points for that week.

4. Important: As with past Suicide games, you may use each team only ONCE for the duration of TAR19/this game.

Plan your strategy. You may want to pick a team you perceive as weaker (but not "weakest") each week. Or your strategy may be to play it safe, make sure you progress into the next week. Or you may opt for a blindfold/dartboard scenario.

5. The game will end when TAR19 ends, on the giant bathmat. Your final week pick will be to rank the teams who are to race on the finale Sunday. If four teams are racing in the final Sunday, rank all four. If it’s three, rank all three.

You will rank the teams racing the final Sunday, whether or not you've "used" any of the picks beforehand. (TOTAL POSSIBLE PTS: 3 to 4, depending on how many teams are racing the finale Sunday.)

Since nobody can commit suicide in STARIV, everybody gets to play through this final round.

I expect the final ranking wrinkle to make the final week fairly mysterious ... could see a come-from-behind medal from a sly or lucky person.

6. ABOUT ‘NO PICK’: You may use the pick "no pick" only once during the game. A missed pick (i.e. "forgot to submit a pick") is the same as “no pick”. Each subsequent missed pick will result in -1 points.

We had an enormous pool of players for STARIII – 36! – so of course I’ve got my hopes high for this one. Come on in, the water’s fine (and blood free).

Below: Last season's standings. AKA what you’re aspiring to or running from. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

3. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

I forgot I WON last time (I consider that 3-way tie a win) :encore:

4. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I'm in! Thanks for doing this! Should be great fun!

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

I'm never going to top that finish :wuzrobbed

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. timing

timing fragrance free

For the final week does this mean we rank whoever is there even if we have already choosen some of the teams?

7. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Probably. But, :lol: I really need to think this through. I certainly want to keep this edition simple but still challenging ... both without bumbling it like I did with the :shuffle: last edition.

ETA: I've edited the rules to clarify:

1. Yes, you'll rank all the teams racing the finale Sunday, whether or not you've used them beforehand in the game.

2. Since I want the weekly picks to be the thrust of the scoring, I've made weekly picks worth 3 pts each (18-24 points possible), and correct finale rankings worth 2 pts each (6-8 pts possible).

Don't let the length of the "rules" fool you. This edition is very simple ... One pick a week, every week, you score if your pick survives that leg, you can only use a pick once, you don't die so you play all season long, then for finale Sunday you rank the remaining teams (everyone has all remaining teams at their disposal for the finale round).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  8. rfisher

Your only bumbling, Sir, was your failure to appropriately acknowlege the winners. :drama:

timing and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:saint: Winning's true worth is about how it makes one feel inside. :saint:

The thirst for acknowledgement :)plush:) is devil's work.

But, hey, kudos to our defending champions! May they prosper and remain humble.

:) rfisher
    :) The Village Idiot
    :) timing

11. rfisher

:rofl: Acknowledgement of one's accomplishments IS the point. Otherwise, just take a nap. Especially if that one win is the only one one has. :shuffle:

12. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Good luck with your first pick, everyone! Should be really easy. :saint:

13. PrincessLeppard

Unless you were stuck in an airport. :wuzrobbed

Off to read TV thread...

14. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Off to set up a new spreadsheet.....

15. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break #lord

I'll get the game rolling...

Week 2: Ron & Bill

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, a double elimination that's a piece of cake!

17. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

To assist you in keeping the teams straight ...
    Ernie & Cindy = Engaged (she: brunette)
    Jeremy & Sandy = Dating (she: blonde)
    Justin & Jennifer = Siblings
    Ethan & Jenna = Dating
    Amani & Marcus = Married (he: NFLer)
    Laurence & Zac = Father/Son Adventurers :blah:
    Andy & Tommy = Pro Snowboarders
    Ron & Bill = Domestic Partners
    Kaylani & Lisa = Former Vegas Showgirls
    Liz & Marie = Twins
    Bill & Cathi = Grandparents

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
  18. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

So, I am supposed to pick who I think will NOT be eliminated? But do it in such a way that I have strong teams to take to the end as my picks?

19. timing

timing fragrance free

If I read the rules right there is not a need to keep teams for the final.

20. PrincessLeppard

I have not seen the first episode, but what the hell, right?

Ron & Bill

21. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

22. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

If the rules were strict like sport Suicide games "out there" -- re: you're OUT of the game with just one bad pick -- then, yes, most folks' strategy would be to pick a decent team/middling team each time, but not a weak one (weak one relative to others left racing).

However, this is a brave* new world. No elimination ... no need to save teams for the final leg ... so there are likely new ways of looking at things, new ways of playing this game.

*or stupid. Jury is out on whether my latest tinkering will sing or sink.

23. purple skates

So I could pick the Grandparents and if they get eliminated I am still ok?

ETA - never mind. I just looked the rules. I never was very good at reading the instructions first. :shuffle:

24. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

BTW, a scoring update ... to simplify things, I'm going back to the scoring in my original posting.

It's ONE POINT when your week's pick advances. It's (still) ZERO POINTS when your pick week's pick is eliminated. And in the final Sunday, it's ONE POINT for each team you place in the correct final rankings.

I've asked genevieve and Prancer to change my initial post to reflect this.

25. purple skates

Now you're just messing with me. :p

26. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

You're okay, but you don't score a point for that week. Some may strategize to save the strong teams for later. Dunno, I'm not playing so I've not thought through strategy.

But at the game's core > you want points!

27. Prancer

Prancer Orchidaceous Cynosure of Decadence Staff Member

Edited, Your Fickleness, with a postscript of my own to maybe avoid some confusion for those who skip their way through threads.:p

28. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:( Only two players so far. Both fine & lovely people, but still. So blue.

29. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I'm going with the Twins for this week.

30. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break #lord

C'mon, people, I want my win to be a CHALLENGE. :EVILLE: