Suggestions for a Cruise to Brazil

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BYTCH, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BYTCH

BYTCH Celebrating Prancer's Specialness

I'm going on a 7 week cruise through the Caribbean and down the Amazon through Brazil, and am trying to foresee what I will want/miss from home. I got an international plan on my IPhone, but the phone won't work on the ship; calls cost about a dollar a minute ashore . Or does anyone have any advice on phoning from South America/the Caribbean? Are there things like the phone cards in Brazil that I could use? Where would I get them, and do they have pay phones?

Does anyone know where to look for internet access? Do they have internet cafes ?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for what amusements I could take? The cabin will have a DVR player. I'm also taking a cable to hook my little laptop to use the TV as a monitor.

It's a long shot that anyone will know about Brazil, but FSU is amazing. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Doesn't beepbeep live in Brazil? I've never been but have a ball!

3. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Yes, we have internet cafes, pay phones, phone cards, etc. Even in the jungle :D

I live in the very south of Brazil and things are very different form the north, so I don't know much, but these cruises hardly go off the tourist path, so you should find all of these services off board.
    Any newstand will have phone cards (they're cheap!) and if you're around a state capital or major cities of the area, 3G and cell phone signals should be fine.

Which cities will you be stopping by while in Brazil?

4. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

My suggestion is that you take me with you.

5. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Don't forget to pack your fio dental! ;)

6. beepbeep

Which one? ;)

Alixana and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

My suggestion is to ditch all the technology, cut the ties to regular life, and immerse yourself in the experience. If you really need quiet time alone along the way, then bring a couple of books. :)

9. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I second this whole-heartedly!
    After a stressful spring both personally and at work, Mr. Habs and I went on a vacation last summer. After a ... "heated" discussion, he took my Blackberry away and hid it so I couldn't take it with us. Best thing he could have done!

10. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Indeed, BYTCH. You need to escape from the stress of your life. How often do you get to just relax and refresh your troubled spirit? When was the last time you took a vacation?

You could literally consider this a voyage of self-discovery.

11. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I think you need to smuggle The Maltese on board. She's more fun than any electronic device.

12. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I agree with some caveats. 7 weeks is a long time to be away from it all, so you need to be able to be contacted in case of emergency. Also, you may need to manage your finances (pay bills, etc.) at some point during that 7 weeks.

13. BYTCH

Except for Rio and Manaus, it's going to a lot of places I've never heard of: Fortaleza, Recife, Maceio, Vitoria, Amacao dos Buzios, and Ilhabela, and a few villages along the Amazon on the way to Manaus. :eek:

I'm packing and don't want to forget anything, what's my fio dental? i'm really starting to get excited. What kinds of things can I expect to see in these places, beepbeep? They are all ports, so they're on the water. Oh, and I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/SteamPunk-C...pt=US_Costume_Accessories&hash=item25794149ca to wear down the Amazon, so I'll be totally cool. I need to sew some netting to it though.

RUSHING AROUND MADLY

14. Prancer

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

A little side boob can be sexy, but side labia? Non.

16. milanessa

17. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

18. beepbeep

These are absolutely beautiful places!!! Beaches galore :cool: Although you won't be able to bathe in ocean in Recife because of sharks.
    Búzios and Ilhabela (means beautiful island) are two of the most beautiful places in the country.
    And crammed with tourists this time of year.
    You're coming from the north and going south, right?
    Are you not going to the beaches of Maranhão, most notably Porto de Galinhas, or Salvador and Porto Seguro (in Bahia)? It seems strange, as you'd be skipping those to go straight to the São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro shores... you'd be missing a lot.
    Map...

If you wear this, people will laugh at you. But I have a feeling you can pull it off :p
    Apart from the Amazon villages (which I suspect will be very touristy, since it's a cruise), you will be visiting big cities. Fortaleza, Maceió, Vitória, Recife and Manaus are all state capitals and very developed cities.
    I wished I could be more helpful, it's been a long time since I've been to Maceió and Recife...
    Taste the local cooking (lots of seafood), drink coconut water (straight from the coconut, of course) and enjoy the beach!
    In Manaus, make sure to try Tucupi Duck (Pato ao Tucupi). Tucupi is an extract from a type of mandioca (tapioca or manioc, as you prefer) that makes your tongue go numb, it's so cool/strange/an experience.

:yikes: :lol:

The fio dental designation was very popular in the 80s when the bikini bottoms got so small they resembled, well, dental floss.
    Nowadays, although brazilian bikinis are smaller than american ones (to me, they look like diapers...), you should not wear this type of bikini to the beach, unless youwant to be confused with a hooker or a badass periguete.
    Jokes aside, I actually advise you to buy some bathing suits or bikinis while in Brazil. Really cool prints and much better quality. Stick to the good brands, of course (Blue Man, Cia Maritma, Morena Rosa, Amir Slama, Coral, etc)

19. Prancer

Is that not gross? And it's an ad, attempting to sell it.

:scream:

Aesthetics aside, it looks madly uncomfortable.

20. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

:yikes: and :scream:

21. BYTCH

i'll only wear that charming fio dental if Prancer dyes her hair green and wears one with me.

Thanks so much for the tips, beepbeep, i printed out your suggestions and will definitely follow up on them.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. milanessa

I want to be the judge in that contest. :rollin:

23. Prancer

I've told you before that I will dye my hair green if you dye yours Vyxen pink.