Successful Male Figure Skaters Who Don't Have Gigantic Egos

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by just tuned in, Mar 21, 2013.

1. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

How has no one mentioned Johnny Weir yet?

Forget Pluschenko, Moir, Chan and the rest of those who actually have titles to back up any perceived ego they have and look at the guy who thinks figure skating needs him to bring back viewers.

Has to be one of the most egotistical skaters out there.

2. Knigolubka

Knigolubka New Member

lauravvv, I think we've been talking exactly about egoism? And, IMO, confidence and egoism go hand in hand in the most cases, but I do agree that arrogance is not the same. The problem is that often it's hard to tell one from the other.

3. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

hes an american skater thefore he cannot be egotistical am i right? ;):rofl:

4. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

This is very true, though. For me, a dose of arrogance is not bad at all. Sure, I don't condone anyone insulting a fellow competitor. But it is okay for me that they spoke freely about their talent and why they think that sets them apart from the competition. It might not sit well with others, but I like that attitude. As long as it is done without insulting anyone, I think it is fair game. I mean, when Federer was number one, he would say: "They have to play their best to beat me." And, hey, that was (and even today, is) true. He's not insulting anyone, he's simply stating a fact. Many people hate that. I, on the contrary, hate it when Nadal, after beating Federer 6-3 and 2 says: "He's clearly better than me." That's not humility. Anyway, I went a bit off-topic there, sorry.

5. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

For the record, the following skaters have exhibited behavior or have given statements that tend to cause me to think that they may have over-active egos (what some might call "arrogance"): Lysacek, Plushenko, Weir, Chan, Moir, and Gracie Gold.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Wait, what did Gold say? I missed that one.

BTW, this doesn't mean agree about the others being egomaniacs, I am just curious about what she she said that might be perceived as egotistical.

7. rainbowkisses

i didn't know Gracie identifies as a man now :lol:

8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Well, she jumps better than quite a few senior men! :D

9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Has someone told Max Aaron? :eek:

10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I think those who are saying Scott Moir, Evgeni Plushenko, and Patrick Chan are humble have a vastly different definition of humility than I do.

11. rainbowkisses

or you know, they just know the skater more than you do.

12. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Does this mean the three spots are off?

13. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Ok, question: how do you know he didn't "fake humility", as you say, in that "ice, sweat and tears" (whatever that is)? How do you know if those reactions of his, which have made a lot of people assume he has an oversized ego, were not the sincere, true reactions and whatever different side of Scott you saw in some kind of a staged program was?

Also, I actually think a big ego helps in making jokes about yourself. You're just that sure of yourself you can afford it. Notice how insecure people never make such jokes.

Yes, that is true that the media can twist one's words or create the false image - but taken the media aside, Scott just does not come across as a nice person when you meet him. He's definitely not the kind of person you wanna approach and talk to.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. rainbowkisses

it shows you didn't watch the documentary because you're not making any sense. Also it depends on what kind of jokes. I know plenty of insecure people who make jokes about themselves (the kind of jokes in which one brings themselves down. for example when an insecure person says something they're not sure of to another person and a person looks at them weirdly, they would usually joke about what they said to get the approval from that other person)
    and FYI you're talking to someone who has met him once 3 years. he wasn't the type of unapproachable person you make him out to be. in fact he seemed very overwhelmed (and hyperactive)

15. neptune

neptune New Member

One thing I've learned is that you can't really gauge what a person is like from TV (though I used to think you could)--or even necessarily reputation. In general, it can take years to get to know someone, such that you could state with a reasonable amount of certainty the largeness, smallness, etc., of their ego. So, you would either have to have known that person for years, or need to get this information from someone else who has. Appearances can definitely be deceiving.

16. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Funny to see so many people list Boitano as not having a big ego. I guess I feel the opposite. In nearly every interview he brings up 1988. Even when he was asked about Christopher Bowman's death the day after it happened, he ended up reminiscing about winning the 88 Olympics. But maybe that makes him self-centered more than having a big ego. For the record, big egos don't bother me, even Boitano's whom I love. I think athletes need to have bigger egos if they want to succeed on a big scale.

17. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Didn't he bring up the 88 Oly because it was Christopher who had told him that he had won and Chris was a known prankster?

snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  18. mkats

mkats New Member

;)

19. rainbowkisses

unlike that other person i have proof
    although to you guys it probably wont be enough

20. sequins

sequins New Member

Oh my turn!
    I have a cousin, whose neighbors, best friends, sisters, hairdresser says that Fabian Bourzat, Charlie White, Luca Lanotte and Scott Moir are all equally douchy:p:rolleyes:

'We never see other people anyway, only the monsters we make of them'-Colson Whitehead

21. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

But they all have great hair! :lol:

22. Tottoi

Tottoi New Member

I report what I've heard from Italian skaters, coaches and journalists.
    Kaitlyn Weaver is the sweetest girl one can figure, enthousiast, full of joie de vivre, careful towards people. When she completed her programs, she hopped all over the mixed zone in front of Camerlengo, repeating "I did it!" with sparkling eyes. So sweet. :)
    Misha Ge is very nice and approchable, he loves to be liked. His passion for skating is incredible. He studies acting, but his true ambition is to be more a showman.
    Brezina is also very nice. He is close friend with Hotarek; during Berton/Hotarek warm ups, he takes no break keeping them company. Very involved on his friends.
    Carolina is ridiculously humble. She takes every praise and compliment with gratefulness, as she had average accomplishments and committment to her work. Her boyfriend's problems made her grow a lot. I'm not implying it changed her mind in a major way: now she is more aware than ever that sport is a chapter in her life, and she is concretely looking forward to her future family and work.
    Camerlengo, as Patrick Chan was in Detroit, asked his students to stroke like him for the same time: he was just unmatchable. Everyone here keeps arguing about his big mouth. Valentina told he is actually very humble, no superstar behaviour. He is absolutely friendly, waits for his turn of training like everyone and so on.
    Verner is a desperate case. I have the feeling he keeps attending competitions just to meet his friends and hang out with them.
    When it comes on Japanese skaters, it is a competition on who is the most down-to heart. They are all sweet like candies, which is also due to their culture and conventionalities. Italian ladies who do the commentary always give Yuzuru a teen-age bonus in this competition.
    Scott Moir is another usual target of this board. In Valentina's words he is a "personaggio": quite a character, with a genuine humor. During bus travels he and Charlie rule the show, with pranks and chats in full voice. The topic title asks about big Egos: of course he has, but he's definitely a nice and agreable man.
    Valentina hangs out a lot with Alissa, Jeremy, Adam and her fellow Krylova-Camerlengo students. She loves them so much, and is ecstatic of her choice of joining Pasquale in Detroit.
    Hope you enjoyed. I don't actually know any secret informations, but the commenting board of Italian TV is chatty, they often host skaters and coaches (once they even had Ottavio Cinquanta) and every now and then some news pop up.

23. rainbowkisses

:shuffle:

24. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Now really... Raisport's commentators??? :lol:

25. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Why such reaction? They, Valentina Marchei or Tottoi are not claiming to know everything about those skaters. These are just impressions from meeting them that anyone who has met some skaters could have, regardless of the depth of their knowledge about figure skating.

26. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

So, Scott Moir and Charlie White are equally douchy. Good call, sequins!

27. jamcan

jamcan New Member

Kurt? you jest :blah::rofl: Kurt cannot complete a sentence when commentating without inserting himself into it. Unreal.

For non ego: Brian Orser and Jeff Buttle

28. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think Patrick Chan has a big ego. In my opinion he is just not able to handle all this PR thing correctly. But how many twenty-something years old boys would be able to? I have attended many press conferences at competitions and I think I wouldn't have been able to answer to half of the questions the skaters were asked. I probably would have said something very stupid, or I am sure I would have been misunderstood. I am sure each one of us sometimes tries to say something, but somehow what we would like to say is not what we actually say. Luckily we don't have a camera in front of us, or tenths of journalists ready to write down every single word we say and to publish it in a few hours. We can just say "Sorry, actually I meant to say that..." and everything will be fine.
    I know that happens to me many times, and I am sure it happens to all of you as well.
    And I also have days when I am grumpy, or lazy, or angry about something, but behaving like an asshole for a few hours doesn't make me an asshole for my whole life.
    So I don't judge skaters by the behaviour they had during the five minutes we chatted. If they were nice with me, fine, if they weren't, well, they were at a competition. When I had University exams I was VERY grumpy and getting mad at anyone who would dare to talk to me. Still, that doesn't make me a bad person, right? Maybe some skaters can bare pressure better than others, some get grumpy, some make jokes, some get quiet and don't talk, some need to talk all the time, some need to sleep, some need to watch the tv, some need to talk, some need to be left alone...
    Nobody is perfect, neither I am, nor are the skaters.

29. rainbowkisses

so that explains charlie's ""In our minds we were champions because of the way we skated" comment :rofl:

30. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I've interviewed Johnny many (at least a half-dozen) times, granted not recently, and he has never come across as egotistical to me (neither has Evan btw, but he has been a snoozefest).

Figure skaters aren't only elite athletes, but they are performers too. They have to project a sense of confidence and assuredness.

For me an ego is boastful, someone who claims he'll land two 4A and no one can touch him. I've yet to meet a skater like that.