Successful Male Figure Skaters Who Don't Have Gigantic Egos

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by just tuned in, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

But they all have great hair! :lol:
  2. Tottoi

Tottoi New Member

I report what I've heard from Italian skaters, coaches and journalists.
    Kaitlyn Weaver is the sweetest girl one can figure, enthousiast, full of joie de vivre, careful towards people. When she completed her programs, she hopped all over the mixed zone in front of Camerlengo, repeating "I did it!" with sparkling eyes. So sweet. :)
    Misha Ge is very nice and approchable, he loves to be liked. His passion for skating is incredible. He studies acting, but his true ambition is to be more a showman.
    Brezina is also very nice. He is close friend with Hotarek; during Berton/Hotarek warm ups, he takes no break keeping them company. Very involved on his friends.
    Carolina is ridiculously humble. She takes every praise and compliment with gratefulness, as she had average accomplishments and committment to her work. Her boyfriend's problems made her grow a lot. I'm not implying it changed her mind in a major way: now she is more aware than ever that sport is a chapter in her life, and she is concretely looking forward to her future family and work.
    Camerlengo, as Patrick Chan was in Detroit, asked his students to stroke like him for the same time: he was just unmatchable. Everyone here keeps arguing about his big mouth. Valentina told he is actually very humble, no superstar behaviour. He is absolutely friendly, waits for his turn of training like everyone and so on.
    Verner is a desperate case. I have the feeling he keeps attending competitions just to meet his friends and hang out with them.
    When it comes on Japanese skaters, it is a competition on who is the most down-to heart. They are all sweet like candies, which is also due to their culture and conventionalities. Italian ladies who do the commentary always give Yuzuru a teen-age bonus in this competition.
    Scott Moir is another usual target of this board. In Valentina's words he is a "personaggio": quite a character, with a genuine humor. During bus travels he and Charlie rule the show, with pranks and chats in full voice. The topic title asks about big Egos: of course he has, but he's definitely a nice and agreable man.
    Valentina hangs out a lot with Alissa, Jeremy, Adam and her fellow Krylova-Camerlengo students. She loves them so much, and is ecstatic of her choice of joining Pasquale in Detroit.
    Hope you enjoyed. I don't actually know any secret informations, but the commenting board of Italian TV is chatty, they often host skaters and coaches (once they even had Ottavio Cinquanta) and every now and then some news pop up.
  3. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

:shuffle:
  4. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Now really... Raisport's commentators??? :lol:
  5. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Why such reaction? They, Valentina Marchei or Tottoi are not claiming to know everything about those skaters. These are just impressions from meeting them that anyone who has met some skaters could have, regardless of the depth of their knowledge about figure skating.
  6. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

So, Scott Moir and Charlie White are equally douchy. Good call, sequins!
  7. jamcan

jamcan New Member

Kurt? you jest :blah::rofl: Kurt cannot complete a sentence when commentating without inserting himself into it. Unreal.

For non ego: Brian Orser and Jeff Buttle
  8. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think Patrick Chan has a big ego. In my opinion he is just not able to handle all this PR thing correctly. But how many twenty-something years old boys would be able to? I have attended many press conferences at competitions and I think I wouldn't have been able to answer to half of the questions the skaters were asked. I probably would have said something very stupid, or I am sure I would have been misunderstood. I am sure each one of us sometimes tries to say something, but somehow what we would like to say is not what we actually say. Luckily we don't have a camera in front of us, or tenths of journalists ready to write down every single word we say and to publish it in a few hours. We can just say "Sorry, actually I meant to say that..." and everything will be fine.
    I know that happens to me many times, and I am sure it happens to all of you as well.
    And I also have days when I am grumpy, or lazy, or angry about something, but behaving like an asshole for a few hours doesn't make me an asshole for my whole life.
    So I don't judge skaters by the behaviour they had during the five minutes we chatted. If they were nice with me, fine, if they weren't, well, they were at a competition. When I had University exams I was VERY grumpy and getting mad at anyone who would dare to talk to me. Still, that doesn't make me a bad person, right? Maybe some skaters can bare pressure better than others, some get grumpy, some make jokes, some get quiet and don't talk, some need to talk all the time, some need to sleep, some need to watch the tv, some need to talk, some need to be left alone...
    Nobody is perfect, neither I am, nor are the skaters.
  9. rainbowkisses

so that explains charlie's ""In our minds we were champions because of the way we skated" comment :rofl:
  10. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I've interviewed Johnny many (at least a half-dozen) times, granted not recently, and he has never come across as egotistical to me (neither has Evan btw, but he has been a snoozefest).

Figure skaters aren't only elite athletes, but they are performers too. They have to project a sense of confidence and assuredness.

For me an ego is boastful, someone who claims he'll land two 4A and no one can touch him. I've yet to meet a skater like that.
  11. madm

madm Active Member

Definitely Mark Ladwig is one of the nicest persons you could ever know ... totally selfless, considerate, and humble. Also, although I do not know him personally, Rudy Swiegers (who gave Mark Ladwig his skates to wear when Mark's blade broke during the Pair SP program at the 2011 Four Continents competition) displayed one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship ever seen! http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46094
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

ITA re: Mark Ladwig! I haven't met Rudy S., but I'll bet he's one of the good guys too.
  13. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

:lol:I can't believe how funny your posts are. Hysterical.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Olivier Schoenfelder ?
  15. rainbowkisses

:encore: I try my best!
  16. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I'm old-fashioned. I think a man who believes in himself and has a healthy ego is attractive.
  17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I totally agree, but haterz will be haterz
  18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I also like men with healthy egos. If anyone can do something well, they should personally acknowledge it and celebrate it.
  19. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

Thank you for your input. The thread is about "gigantic" egos. I agree, it is good to have a "healthy" ego.
  20. sequins

sequins New Member

Oh but it wasn't me, didn't you read? It was the hairdresser;)
  21. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't think Eric Radford has a big ego, or Robin Szolkowy, although anyone who has had personal experiences with those two can feel free to correct me.
  22. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Good post.
  23. zerom10

zerom10 New Member

Lambiel, Joubert, Plushenko, Urmanov
  24. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

At first glance, I thought it read "SUCCESSFUL MALE FIGURE SKATERS WHO DON'T HAVE GIGANTIC EGGS"!:p
    I donno. Never see
  25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Can we start a new thread: "Male skaters who have gigantic eggs?"