Successful Male Figure Skaters Who Don't Have Gigantic Egos

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by just tuned in, Mar 21, 2013.

1. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

I might have put Chan in the "big ego" group.

Definitely Moir. Trash-talking about other skaters is the biggest clue to an over-active ego, in my opinion.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  2. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:

3. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Javer Fernandez, Ondrej Hotarek, Luca Lanotte, Tomas Verner, Jeremy Abbott, Michal Brezina, etc etc

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

He is not humble at all, you must be kidding. He is the total oppsoite of that.

5. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

The ones that come to my mind are Jeff Buttle, Stephane Lambiel, and Daisuke Takahashi. Todd Eldridge too.

6. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

who was he trash talking anyway?

oh yes definately
    charlie "In our minds we were champions because of the way we skated," white is sooooooo humble

i suggest you watch ice sweat and tears. maybe when you realize scott's "piss off" comment was a giant joke, you will can offer a constructive response to my comment.
    really i wouldn't call someone who laughs at themselves when they say stupid shit egotistical. last time i checked someone who was egotistical wasnt self aware of their faults ;)

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Kevin Reynolds, if he's considered successful.

8. Minou

Minou Member

Urmanov. Sportscasters were always describing him as a "nice young man" on American tv. ...in the days when they broadcast Skate America, the Goodwill Games et al.

9. mia joy

mia joy New Member

So, he cares for Tessa. That doesn't change the thing he's an arrogant douchebag with a gigantic ego. He's proven that many times. And even if he doesn't think he's better than Tessa, he sure as hell thinks he's better than everyone else.

10. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:rofl: Perfectly stated!! :)

11. rainbowkisses

to you and your biased mind of course he is an arrogant douchebag ;)
    god forbid someone offer an opinion that is different from everyone else's

12. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Maybe you should start taking your own words to heart, sweetie.

Back to the thread - Javier Fernandez, Tomas Verner, Jeremy Abbott. Brian Joubert doesn't always come off wonderfully well in interviews but he's been very unassuming & polite whenever I've met him, same for Florent Amodio.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Well technically, given that he's the reigning Olympic champion, he *is* better than everyone else.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. rainbowkisses

don't call me sweetie.
    i just don t undertand how one can say that they're the most artistic skater in the field while at the same time say that their partner is more artistic and better than them
    its contradictory

snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  15. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I know some ISU judges who say that Scott is actually a bit of dick. And IMHO he gives good bitchface once the music stops. Plus, I know someone who dated his cousin for a while, so has been around him on a few occasions and said that he's not always the nicest person.

As for non-egotistical. Jeff, definitely.

I met Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze shortly after the 2002 O's, and they were insanely nice.

I really really don't like Jamie Sale (she annoys me to no end), but when she and David had just won their world title, a friend and I were chatting about how cute he was after an ice show. Jamie overheard us and came up to us and laughed, all 'I know, right?' and started talking to us. This was before they came out as a couple.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Scott Hamilton saying that you have to have a big ego to be a champion because although you may get support from your "team" in the final analysis it is you alone out there on the ice performing so you had better put yourself first. Or something to that effect. The gist of his statement was that although some winning skaters may appear humble, they are not, and that is not a bad thing.

17. rainbowkisses

proof or it didn't happen
    also being a dick ≠ egotistical fyi ;) choose your words wisely

:respec:

perhaps the word ego is too much. but of course one has to be very confident in themselves if they plan on winning

18. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Only in your brain.

19. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Who does not have an ego? I'd take that over fake humility. As for Scott, he is cocky, but as far as I can tell, he's a good guy. Arrogance doesn't make you a dick or a terrible person. Sure, it can annoy us sometimes, but it's not something to hate someone over. But, well, people hate in here over a lot less so.

I'm just here to say that someone with an ego and results to back it up is not a douche. I like my athletes confident enough to say that, yes, they are the best. Nothing wrong with that.

20. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway ..

Until we know someone personally, how do we know they have a big ego? Media quotes can be taken out of context, knowing people who know people is hearsay, how people look at any given time doesn't always reflect who they are as a person (I'm told I always look sad because my lips turn down at the ends ..and I'm pretty happy most of the time!) And as much as we're invested in them, these skaters aren't our friends, they're just people we love to watch perform. In the end, we all go home to our real lives. /rant over .. whew, I've ranted a lot this week.

21. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

You should not get flamed at all as this is a very sensible post. I wholeheartedly agree.

22. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you two. I am a bit surprised why more people haven't mentioned him. I guess to many he seems like this pretty prince of figure skating - how could he not have a big ego :D? But after being his fan for years I've come to known that this image couldn't be further from the truth. He is unassuming, unpretentious and classy practically in everything that he does and says. But, of course, we can never know everything about someone, especially if we don't know that someone personally.

23. asunta

asunta New Member

exactly:respec:

24. rainbowkisses

Anyone can make a contentious claim about the isu but if you don't have proof to back it up you're not going to go anywhere :p

it is indeed refreshing to have someone speak their honest opinion compared to people who fake humility. I think those who fake humility are the worst.
    Scott has a lot faults but i don't think being egotistical is one of them
    But honestly, I don't understand how some people can hate someone so irrationally up to the point they block everyone whose opinion goes against theirs

and yes I have to admit Scott comment's did rub me the wrong way at gpf but when i saw ice, sweat and tears i realized that his comments have been twisted and taken out of context by the media. in his case, tone matters a lot. and like I said before, I have next met an egotistical person who can make jokes about themselves/laugh at themselves. egotistical people don't do that.

25. lauravvv

Oh, I too mentioned something like this at the end of my post. You are so right.

I mostly agree, although I wouldn't equate ego with arrogance. At the same time, you can't also say that humility is always something fake. People are different - some are softer and/or less self-centered, and really tend to think well about others. And it also depends on the upbringing. If someone has been told and shown since early childhood that it can be impolite and hurtful to other people to express one's opinion in a direct and harsh way, then it's very likely that they won't do that, but will either keep something to themselves, or express their opinion in a less harsh, more diplomatic way. And such a person doesn't see it as faking something, while others probably would see it that way.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  26. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

I disagree. I think arrogance is a very unpleasant characteristic. Clearly, it has been demonstrated here that there are many successful figure skaters who do NOT bash others, do NOT make public statements about how they would have judged a competition differently, do NOT declare before a competition that they will be the victor, etc.

27. Knigolubka

Knigolubka New Member

Tbh, I agree. I simply don'y believe in people being able to win Olympics and not having an ego. I mean, sure, it doesn't mean those people aren't nice to people around them/fans, but to be a winner, besides, being in top shape, you have to believe yourself you're the very best.
    And Urmanov, Lambiel for sure has egos and their diva moments. They are just better at hiding them :p

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I think a better title for this thread might have been "Male Figure Skaters Who Don't Come Across as Having Gigantic Egos but YMMV." ;)

:shuffle:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  29. rainbowkisses

sanctimoniousness is also a very unpleasant characteristic as well

:rofl:
    good luck with that

30. lauravvv

Once again, you are mixing up confidence and egoism. I don't think it's always one and the same. But, come to think of it, ego is not always something that is bad. A healthy egoism is possible, and it's also not the same as arrogance. Healthy egoism is also when a person is capable of putting his/her personal interests first in situations where doing otherwise would mean losing a competition, losing one's goal in life, or giving up something that is truly very important for that person. It doesn't mean that that person has to really think less of others, look down at them, and so on.