Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 31, 2012.

1. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

OMG, there is still fruit'n'yogurt on your menus? It's been taken off the German menus completely, it was my no.1 reason to go to McDonalds. :eek: I need to move.
  2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I would think it was more a matter of saving money on product by reducing the amount of product in a container that looks (and sometimes is) the same size; many other foods have experienced "shrinkage" over the years.

I think coffee was the first to diminish: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18561_162-543240.html
  3. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

It still is. The serving size on the yogurt quarts is 1 cup. It's the individual sugar bombs that got smaller.
  4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

speaking of yogurt, what's with the sudden popping up of yogurt places all over? I assume this is all frozen yogurt? They brought one of these companies in to serve yogurt at a function at our work today, can't remember the name, man that stuff was nasty.
  5. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I was excited the other day when. on a 20oz. bottle of pop, it showed the calories for the entire bottle rather than per serving. When people read "120 calories per serving" they think it isn't so bad and stop reading before they see that there's 2.5 servings per bottle.
  6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've tried the awkward froyo places that have popped up. It's this very odd texture and you can't taste any yogurt in it. I have no idea what it's actually made of.

I made home-made peach frozen yogurt last week for my birthday, and home-made strawberry frozen yogurt yesterday. Amazing :swoon: But I do think it's probably ruined my taste for the store-bought stuff, even the good kinds :lol: There's this amazing sour-sweet flavor to it that even good-quality stuff like Stonyfield Farm can't replicate.
  7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree with Prancer, it's more about cutting costs. The package and price stays the same, but the container holds less. Haagen Dazs containers went from 16 oz. to 14 oz. Cereal boxes got bigger, but they contain less cereal.
  8. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Fry and hamburger sizes were much smaller than even what is in today's kid's meal. I was trying to explain that to someone close to my son's age and they said "weren't you hungry after you finished eating?" I don't think so, but I don't remember
    Still play yards with the McDonalds around here. One is even 2 stories high
  9. michiruwater

Kids' meals at most fast food restaurants tend to have the actual number of calories that adults need.

We used to have a Play Place at the McDonalds in Houghton, but when they moved the location to across the street from the Wal*Mart (AKA the biggest attraction in the Copper Country), they didn't put in a play place.
  10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Mr. Barbk thinks it is on a thirty year cycle -- last really popular in the '80s, boutique very high end stores opening about ten years ago, and now floods of chains and mom and pop stores. We've gone from about ten back then, to one for the longest time -- and now I can count at least seven.
  11. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

12. cruisin

I think most of us know that we need some fat in our diets. But, saturated fats need to be limited. As far as whole milk/vs/skim - my cardiologist says skim.
  13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

And mine says whole. Should they duke it out?
  14. cruisin

Yup. Rock 'em Sock 'em Docs! :lol:

Do you have a cholesterol problem or plaque?
  15. michiruwater

There are many people who would argue with all three parts of your statement.

In the Michael Pollan book I am just reading, a study group was polled on fats. 23% of them reported that they believed that the best possible diet would be one with no fat whatsoever.

There are different kinds of saturated fats. There was also a time when trans fats were supposed to be the healthy alternative to saturated fat, and then it turned out that trans fats will kill you. There is a lot that nutritionists don't know yet. The real truth is that a diet that consists mostly of meat and dairy products is harmful, but whether it's the saturated fat in those that is really the harmful part can be argued, because it's impossible to isolate just the saturated fat from a whole food and accurately test it. Not to mention that, if this is the standard opinion, and you still think people have an easy time noting what is or is not healthy, then why do Americans consume so much more meat than anyone else?

And everyone will have a different opinion on skim vs. whole vs. in-between.

Like I said pages and pages ago, it's not that easy, actually, to decide for yourself what is healthy. You may think it is, but it's not.
  16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I read that as cholesterol or plague! :eek: :eek: :lol:
  17. milanessa

No. Packed a few pounds on in the last few years, though.

You seem to be the one who thinks it's simple, michiruwater. Oh you spout all the disclaimers but...
  18. milanessa

Yes, yes! I have plague. :lol: (sorry for the double post :shuffle:
  19. michiruwater

Where have I demonstrated that I think it's simple? And which 'it' are you talking about? We've covered a lot of different territories. Please show me exactly which posts and where you came away with the conclusion that I thought it was simple.

And to clarify just in general, there are things within an overall diet that, to me, are both simple and obvious. Eat less meat. Eat whole grains instead of processed grains. Eat more vegetables. But to many people, 'eat less meat' is not something they would ever believe, and they don't understand the differences between whole grains and processed grains or know how to read a label to actually see if the whole grains promised on the box exist in real quantities (they often don't). There are tons and tons of things that are very confusing, and especially to people who haven't researched much on the subject. And the hardest problem of all is how to afford to eat better. I don't think I've ever stated that I think it's all simple.
  20. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Is eat less meat really something that is good for diet? My nutritionist always recommends eating lean white meats and non oily fish as one of the best sources of protein when balancing your diet. I'm struggling to think what i would substitute meat for and still get the same amount of protein.
  21. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I don't think that's been definitely proven either.
  23. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:eek: :D
  24. milanessa

Blech.
  25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I used to think that too, but there are so many different types, and some aren't so bad! I have to eat a lot of the stuff for various health reasons, and so I've learned which brands are okay. Don't know any US brands though :shuffle:
  26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Fried tofu with shrimp, veggies in tomatoe sauce is delicious. I eat it with (gasp!) white rice, but any noodle/rice should do.
  27. PrincessLeppard

When I make stroganoff, I use tofu instead of meat. Delicious. :)
  28. milanessa

:eek: With fake sour cream?
  29. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Tofu egg salad is :swoon:. Press the tofu and mash it up with the usual egg salad ingredients and also add black salt to add the taste of sulfur and turmeric to make it yellow. Yum!
  30. cruisin

:rofl: We are plagued by so many differing opinions on what the proper diet is.:lol:

Michiruwater, I know that transfats are also bad for you. Monounsaturates are probably the best. We cannot avoid saturated fats completely, if we eat any sort of meat. I do not eat red meat or pork. I eat chicken, turkey, fish. Vegetables are better than lots of fruit, but fruit has nutrients we need as well. Whole grain is clearly the best choice in grain products. We should not eliminate food groups, just balance them for our own needs.
  31. PrincessLeppard

I'm not vegan, bint. :p
  32. milanessa

Ya never know with someone who likes tofu - they'll eat all kinds of fake. Fake butter, fake cheese, fake Brian, fake milk and on and on. :saint:
  33. PrincessLeppard

Don't make me and my gnome come over there.
  34. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

What about those who love tofu but should not eat it because it is "estrogenic"? :p
  35. milanessa

Convenient excuse. ;)
  36. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I can give up most processed stuff. I can give up juice and soda very easily. But do not ask me to part with my precious meat. Granted I usually eat chicken or turkey (fish and I dont like each other yet) but every so often I like a good steak. Mmmmm, steak.
    I don't mind tofu. I just hate it when my vegetarian coworker makes dishes and she tells us it has "chikn" pieces in it. Ergh. Just use tofu.
    My mother is a dietician and she's a 2% milk believer. I can't drink milk at all but I have noticed when I've had skim milk it has the worst effect of any dairy product. It's odd though, after I overhauled my eating habits the one dessert I like to go to is ice cream because I know I can only enjoy a very small amount and then I have to stop.
  37. milanessa

Bring it on, bint.
  38. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

That's what my friend, who is a nutritionist/personal trainer tells me, but every "expert" has a different variation as to what they think is healthy these days.

A lot of advice that's out there is good for people who get a minimal to moderate amount of exercise, but I'm not sure if it would apply to some one like me who is super active and on the go. I dance 2-3 times a week, and do some combination of cardio/weights/yoga/pilates 4 times a week on top of that. It's especially tough to stay away from "packaged" foods because I'm always running around. I've been thinking of starting that "Insanity" workout, but everyone says they get SUPER hungry when they're on that expercise program :drama:
  39. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

This should always be the type of question doctors ask before doling out general nutrition advice. :lol:

I drink whole milk, when I have milk. It tastes better. Skim milk doesn't even taste like water. :lol: 2% (the hormone-laden stuff :lol: ) is what I grew up with, but I need calories (and estrogens, but nope, nothing on that front.). But I have crazy-good cholesterol genes from my mom's side. So we don't have to worry about it. Nor high blood pressure, cause we suffer from the complete opposite!

Whereas my uncle (from marriage) has to be very very careful with his fat and sodium intake, and he's still on meds to keep things manageable. Every body is different and metabolizes things differently.

There still should be no excuse for the frighteningly massive big gulp cups I see in movie theaters though! :scream: Just because I CAN have all the fat and salt I want, doesn't mean I SHOULD.
  40. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

On page 2 of an article from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073/NSECTIONGROUP=2

There's a lot of good information about artificial sweeteners on both pages.