Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 31, 2012.

1. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I didn't want to sound like I was telling people what to do, I was just sharing what I have been taught in the dietology lessons I had at the university, as I found them interesting when I learned them. English is not my mothertongue so perhaps what I wrote had been misunderstood.
    You are right, we will never be sure whether we'll be sick because it was just going to happen anyway or because we smoked/ate something wrong/had any other bad habit. But, for example, if I have a lung cancer when I'll be older I know it was note caused by smoking because I don't smoke. If I smoked and I would then have a lung cancer, I would be never sure if it was caused by the smoking or if I would have had it anyway.
    It's like when you drive, you pay attention and try to not do any crash, but maybe you'll get involved in one anyway, right? In that case you are unlucky, but you know that it was not your behaviour that caused that.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

An 8 oz Coke is not prohibited. The ban would be soda in serving sizes over 16 oz.

What about restaurants that keep refilling? Will that be banned? That drives us nuts when we are out with my nephew (an obese teenager)--servers will refill for the entire meal even if you ask them not to and the kid gets to drink a gallon of soda.

3. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I think it's a good thing. Frankly, nobody needs 44 oz of coke.

I read a study a few years back on CNN that if every person who drinks soda daily cut out 8 oz a day of soda, they'd lose 10 lbs by the end of the year without changing anything else.

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

While I agree that nobody needs 44 oz of coke, it isn't the government's job to deny them the right to have one if they want.

5. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I swtched to Diet Coke several years back while trying to lose weight and now prefer it to regular Coke, which tastes much too sweet. I don't drink it often, though, maybe two-three times per week.

A drink that should be banned is that vile concoction known as Diet Pepsi.

galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  6. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Diet soda, yes. (Don't drink regular -- too sweet.) It tastes like a mouthful of chemicals.

It does but our body makes formaldehyde naturally. So I'm not sure it's that big a deal especially when it's in such small amounts.

As for artificial sweeteners causing cancer, that has been largely debunked as the studies where this was shown were full of flaws and better designed studies don't show this to be an issue, at least not any more than anything else we use on a daily basis.

But it's not a study. It's a prediction. And the thing is, that's not how bodies work. You can cut out 8 oz. of soda a day but, unless you are carefully tracking everything you do to make sure nothing else has changed, most likely you will change something to compensate.

That's because our appetite control system is very powerful. Our bodies do everything in our power to keep us at a certain weight. You can't just change one thing like that and expect that it will have any durable effect without doing anything else.

This is one reason why just exercising more often doesn't lead to long-term weight loss. (Something that has been shown over and over in studies.) Our bodies respond to us burning extra calories by increasing our appetite most of the time. You also have to consciously limit your calories along with the increase in exercise if you want to see results.*

*usual disclaimers apply... this is on average and in general. Individual results may vary. ;)

7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

aspartame as MacMadame said, has not been shown to cause cancer, or any of the other things you'll find claimed on the internet. It still tastes vile though.

There does seem to be confirmed evidence that sodas, diet or otherwise, with the caramel type coloring of colas block calcium absorption so as someone said up thread, anyone with concerns about osteoporosis should not drink them regularly.

I wonder how movie theaters feel about this law? Here they always sell humongous cola drinks at humongous prices so they can make money. I can't imagine how anyone drinks those things without bursting their bladders! Okay, I'm small...

I think that calorie and ingredient information, and maybe sometimes warnings about information people may not have are a good idea. I don't think banning drinks or food that are only harmful if you over consume them is a good idea. People can decide for themselves and if they have unhealthy habits a ban like this isn't going to change that anyway.

I drink seltzer water. I like that burning sensation. :lol:

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Lol, you mean the 'fizzy' part? I love it--I always try to get the sparkling mineral water (otherwise I can't really see BUYING water.) It also feels colder on hot days! (If I get soda, I get Vernors or Squirt, or I get Canada Dry if I'm sick. If you see me with Canada Dry and saltines, keep a safe quarantine distance--its' my go-to stomach-bug food.)

9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I love LaCroix sparkling water. No sodium, like most carbinated water, no artificial sweateners, no calories. :)

10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Isn't it great that it's your choice? :) :cheer2: :cheer2:

sammyf and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Are you in favor of prohibiting everything that people don't need, or just this one?

12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Some people just prefer the taste of a diet coke no matter if they are trying to lose weight or not. What they eat with it is irrelevant when choosing one beverage of choice over another.

It's no different that people ordering a salad with a regular coke.

13. manleywoman

I'm in favor of prohibiting marketing machines and large corporations pushing their crap on us.

When the government allowed ads for various drugs to be put on TV, presumably so people could be in charge of their own choices for drugs . . . has that helped people make informed choices in the long run?

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes, I quit all soda/carbonated beverages and drank water/iced tea for several months. Then, when iced tea was not available, and I was dying for caffeine, I had a Diet Coke. Not only did the fizz burn, but it tasted totally vile. Combination of Robitussin and insecticide. And the sugar stuff - blah, tongue coating cloying bleech.

Allegedly, the carbonation contributes to cellulite so I don't think the diet stuff is too good either.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I won't drink it.

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I quit drinking colas 5 years ago - I will drink one very occasionally now, and while it doesn't burn, I rarely can finish the whole thing. It just tastes like corn syrup.

ps diet sodas are evil! :p

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The government doesn't need to be involved in this.

It's likely potentially harmful to eat/drink anything to excess.
    However, unless something becomes a matter of general public safety, it should remain a personal choice.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
    sammyf and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

So which additional items do you think should be restricted from sale?

19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Cigarettes and "smokeless tobacco" products. :slinkaway

20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not, but at least it's still their choice... :respec:

21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:shuffle: Been there. Done that. Doesn't work. I used to drink a 12 oz. can of Coke every work morning (it was my 'coffee'). In 2008 my New Years resolution was no more morning Coke and switched to water only work mornings. Stopped cold with drinking a can in the morning, so pretty much cut out about 250 12 oz. cans per year (figuring about 22 work days per month average, excluding vaca days, etc.). Didn't change anything else, just cut that morning 12 oz. Coke. I didn't lose a single pound that entire year (weighed the same on January 1 as I did on December 31 according to my scale at home), and pretty much weigh the same now as I did in 2008 when I cut that single 12 oz. Coke per day and not changing anything else.

22. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

^^^ Yeah, considering 8oz of soda only amounts to 96 calories, that's not likely to make a difference in a person's weight.

I suspect the thinking was if you multiply 96 x 365, you'd get 35,040. Since a pound equals 3500 calories, that would be the equivalent of 10 pounds. But as has been mentioned, the body doesn't really work that way.

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

So a person can make a choice to buy a packet of cigarettes which are clearly deadly but they can't make a choice to buy a gallon of coca cola? It just makes no sense. I drink only diet sodas because I actually prefer them to the real thing and because I am type 2 diabetic. What is to stop someone from buying multiple smaller drinks? Nothing. This is just way too much government interference. If the stuff is so bad for us then outlaw it all together. If they can't do that to cigarettes then it can't be done to sugar drinks.

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Apparently, the Mayor does appreciate certain foods, as he's issued a proclamation for Doughnut Day tomorrow.

25. manleywoman

Of course they can't ban it all together, even if they wanted to. Nor should they.

I'm not for taking people's choices away, but this is really not a big deal considering people can still buy soda by the gallon and drink it if they so choose. But it's a step towards telling those manufacturers that there should be acceptable limits.

Do you all think that the few local governments in the US that have banned plastic bags or bottled water shouldn't have done so? The environment and our health are all better off for it, right? But god forbid we took people's choices away and they have to drink tap water like we all did 15 years ago, or bring a cloth bag to the store. I didn't hear anyone here barking about those choices being removed.

26. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

:lol: huge donuts YES!, huge sodas, NO!

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I don't see a whole lot of similiarity there. Plastic bags and bottles weren't banned for personal health reasons; they were banned for environmental reasons. While there are some people who have concerns about drinking out of plastic bottles, that was really not the issue behind the banning.

Banning soda in this manner, OTOH, serves no particular purpose that I can see.

28. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

That's because in the huge scheme of things, soda (especially diet coke,) is so much more vital and important! :D

29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

There wouldn't be such a problem with plastic bags if cashiers were taught how to properly bag stuff like groceries. Can't tell you how many times I've gone through the line and have had to say "one bag, please." "One bag?" "Yes, one bag." :wall: This is for items that don't "need" to be bagged separately, like raw meats and veggies. I don't even pack my bread separately; I'm going to be eating it, not putting it up for decoration, so if it gets a bit dented, who cares? This is why I only go to the market with the self check-out if I'm getting more than 1 or 2 items, so I can pack my own, and walk out with one bag instead of the 2-3 that a cashier would typically use.

And yes, I do recycle my plastic bags. Price Chopper and Hannaford both have bins out by the front doors where people can drop off their plastic bags; every month or so I take my collection up to PC and get rid of it.

30. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Why not a reusable bag?