Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 31, 2012.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Tofu. :)

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I don't think that's been definitely proven either.

3. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:eek: :D

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Blech.

5. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I used to think that too, but there are so many different types, and some aren't so bad! I have to eat a lot of the stuff for various health reasons, and so I've learned which brands are okay. Don't know any US brands though :shuffle:

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Fried tofu with shrimp, veggies in tomatoe sauce is delicious. I eat it with (gasp!) white rice, but any noodle/rice should do.

7. PrincessLeppard

When I make stroganoff, I use tofu instead of meat. Delicious. :)

8. milanessa

:eek: With fake sour cream?

9. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Tofu egg salad is :swoon:. Press the tofu and mash it up with the usual egg salad ingredients and also add black salt to add the taste of sulfur and turmeric to make it yellow. Yum!

10. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

:rofl: We are plagued by so many differing opinions on what the proper diet is.:lol:

Michiruwater, I know that transfats are also bad for you. Monounsaturates are probably the best. We cannot avoid saturated fats completely, if we eat any sort of meat. I do not eat red meat or pork. I eat chicken, turkey, fish. Vegetables are better than lots of fruit, but fruit has nutrients we need as well. Whole grain is clearly the best choice in grain products. We should not eliminate food groups, just balance them for our own needs.

11. PrincessLeppard

I'm not vegan, bint. :p

12. milanessa

Ya never know with someone who likes tofu - they'll eat all kinds of fake. Fake butter, fake cheese, fake Brian, fake milk and on and on. :saint:

13. PrincessLeppard

Don't make me and my gnome come over there.

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

What about those who love tofu but should not eat it because it is "estrogenic"? :p

15. milanessa

Convenient excuse. ;)

16. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I can give up most processed stuff. I can give up juice and soda very easily. But do not ask me to part with my precious meat. Granted I usually eat chicken or turkey (fish and I dont like each other yet) but every so often I like a good steak. Mmmmm, steak.
    I don't mind tofu. I just hate it when my vegetarian coworker makes dishes and she tells us it has "chikn" pieces in it. Ergh. Just use tofu.
    My mother is a dietician and she's a 2% milk believer. I can't drink milk at all but I have noticed when I've had skim milk it has the worst effect of any dairy product. It's odd though, after I overhauled my eating habits the one dessert I like to go to is ice cream because I know I can only enjoy a very small amount and then I have to stop.

17. milanessa

Bring it on, bint.

18. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

That's what my friend, who is a nutritionist/personal trainer tells me, but every "expert" has a different variation as to what they think is healthy these days.

A lot of advice that's out there is good for people who get a minimal to moderate amount of exercise, but I'm not sure if it would apply to some one like me who is super active and on the go. I dance 2-3 times a week, and do some combination of cardio/weights/yoga/pilates 4 times a week on top of that. It's especially tough to stay away from "packaged" foods because I'm always running around. I've been thinking of starting that "Insanity" workout, but everyone says they get SUPER hungry when they're on that expercise program :drama:

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

This should always be the type of question doctors ask before doling out general nutrition advice. :lol:

I drink whole milk, when I have milk. It tastes better. Skim milk doesn't even taste like water. :lol: 2% (the hormone-laden stuff :lol: ) is what I grew up with, but I need calories (and estrogens, but nope, nothing on that front.). But I have crazy-good cholesterol genes from my mom's side. So we don't have to worry about it. Nor high blood pressure, cause we suffer from the complete opposite!

Whereas my uncle (from marriage) has to be very very careful with his fat and sodium intake, and he's still on meds to keep things manageable. Every body is different and metabolizes things differently.

There still should be no excuse for the frighteningly massive big gulp cups I see in movie theaters though! :scream: Just because I CAN have all the fat and salt I want, doesn't mean I SHOULD.

20. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

On page 2 of an article from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073/NSECTIONGROUP=2

There's a lot of good information about artificial sweeteners on both pages.

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I don't eat any of those things. Fake butter? Fake cheese? :drama: Mais NON! :p

It depends...I was advised to eat it BECAUSE it's estrogenic. Not every woman has too much estrogen. Or even enough :drama:

22. PrincessLeppard

FOOD FIGHT! With gnomes. :D

You better not touch my "fake" Brian. :mad:

;)

23. cruisin

Just a warning: My cholesterol is actually good. Around 178 total, and my HDL?LDL ratio is excellent. But, I have a genetic predisposition for building plaque. So, I am supposed to keep my fat intake down (especially saturated and trans), and I am on Crestor. Even with relatively low cholesterol, I have some coronary artery plaque. So, for everyone's well being, don't assume that you have no plaque, just because your cholesterol is not high.

24. Anita18

So...how can they tell without going in there and taking a look? A quick Wikipedia search says we can only really look at it postmortem, otherwise doctors have only physical stress tests (which can only tell if it's so bad it's affecting your blood circulation) or expensive imaging tests.

Heart disease does not run in my family so I can't imagine how any of us would know if we had plaque (or any doctors would check for it beyond the usual cholesterol/triglyceride tests) unless somebody gets a heart attack...

It all depends on family history and what you're predispositioned to. I don't think it would be cost-effective to test everyone 40+ for athleroschlerosis, especially if you can only really test for it when it's very bad.

25. milanessa

I'm not certain Wiki is accurate on this one (tell me it's not so :)). This link, which granted is from a commercial site, indicates otherwise.

http://www.centracare.com/specialty_centers/heart/card_scoring.html

My PCP is both an internist and a cardiologist and I've had the test done a couple of times over the years. My insurance covers it but I still get the EOB and see what he charges - it's not very expensive.

26. cruisin

They absolutely can see plaque/blockage in a living person, with an Angiogram. I was tested with a CT Angiogram. A CAT Scan with dye. They then did a stress test, which was good. If the stress test had been a problem they would have done an actual Angiogram to determine how much blockage there is. Right now, I know there is blockage, but it doesn't appear to be enough to correct. I was having palpitations and severe back pain, they thought I might have been having a heart attack (two years ago). They still don't really know what happened, they did enzyme tests, the heart enzyme test was elevated (which would indicate a heart attack). But the general muscle enzyme was not elevated, which would suggest a possible false positive on the cardiac enzyme (troponin) being elevated. They are thinking it might have been a cardiac or an esophageal spasm. They did find that I have some fluid around my heart. They don't know why that's there, after lots of tests :scream:!

27. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Ugh. Skim milk looks like watery-grey breast milk... :yikes:

28. milanessa

And it's not even free. ;)

29. cruisin

I get Skim Plus, it tastes better. And it has more calcium.

30. Anita18

Ah, so you were having symptoms.

I was just afraid that my parents might be missing something, since they never mention getting any heart tests when they go to the doctor. Usually they get scolded for not weighing enough. :shuffle: Cancer (different kinds) and osteoporosis runs in my family, but not heart disease. I'm not old enough to know yet, but was just wondering if getting tested for atherosclerosis was something you were supposed to do...