Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 31, 2012.

1. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I don't see many mcdonalds with a play area for kids anymore either. That was part of the draw for me and my friends growing up. We'd eat our kiddies meals and then play in the giant tube maze thing for awhile. Ive always been obsessed with food but I managed to stay skinny for most of my childhood by running around and playing in my neighborhood, or at the local mcdonalds. I was never allowed to play video games.

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I think there were fewer chain fast food locations in my youth, but there were plenty of local pizza places and individually owned delis and bakeries with some of the most yummy cakes and donuts around. Lots of opportunity for "bad food" although it may have been different bad food.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I don't know that we can blame the proliferation of fast food restaurants. We have to consider supply and demand. If people did not eat at the fast food restaurants, there would not be as many. Everything is convenience oriented. If you notice, there are very few actual bakeries around anymore (at least, around here). Grocery stores now have big bakery departments, which have put independent bakeries out of business. One stop shopping. It seems we have changed. It used to be that fast food and other types of restaurants were for special occasions or treats. A bakery cake or donuts, etc. were treats. Now, even though the quality of the grocery store baked goods is not as good, we impulse buy them. We don't have the same idea of things being special anymore. Maybe part of the instant gratification generations.

4. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I met a friend for drinks at a local restaurant last night, and we decided to get something small to eat. I noticed that the menu had a mini burger and fries. I ordered it, and indeed it did look mini. Come to find out, it was actually 1/4 lb, but really compacted into a small size. When did 1/4 pound of beef become "mini"? Made me wonder how much their non-mini burgers weigh!

5. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

They all have them where I am. Maybe it's a regional thing?

6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Maybe it is. I live in a different area of the US now, so maybe the play areas aren't a big thing here.
    Kids are becoming increasingly sedentary these days though, and that's a problem.
    Most "regular size" burgers these days now boast at least 1/2 pound of beef. At least.

7. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I definitely remember that when I ordered fries for myself, it would come in the white envelope that is now the small/dollar size. Buying fries in the "large" red carton meant I'd be sharing that carton with at least 1 other person. Now it seems that the red carton is the standard "individual" size.

Another link: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/03/08/mcdonalds-dollar-menu-shakeup-no-more-fries-and-drinks-for-1/

If small fries are priced closer to the medium size, I can see how more people will buy the larger size because the difference in price is so small for so many more fries.

Also, interesting info on using the word "snack."

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Washington Post had an article today about how the pizza industry is objecting to guidelines requiring chains to display caloric content:

http://wapo.st/KLcmba

I love how their coalition says that 90% of orders are taken over the phone and Internet, but they're worried most about how to fit the info on a pizza board. Like (xxxx) or (xxx) takes up a lot of space.

Phone, I could see, but they're worried about space on their web pages? It's not like they are the at the forefront of pristine web design.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Of course they are. What sucks is that their reasons shouldn't be taken seriously, but likely will be.

10. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Funny thing is that with all the increases in size of supposed single portion foods, here's one that has gone down: yogurt. Single serving size yogurt used to be 8 oz. now its 6 oz. I suppose that is because people eat it as a diet food and they want to list the lower calorie count?

11. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

OMG, there is still fruit'n'yogurt on your menus? It's been taken off the German menus completely, it was my no.1 reason to go to McDonalds. :eek: I need to move.

12. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I would think it was more a matter of saving money on product by reducing the amount of product in a container that looks (and sometimes is) the same size; many other foods have experienced "shrinkage" over the years.

I think coffee was the first to diminish: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18561_162-543240.html

13. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

It still is. The serving size on the yogurt quarts is 1 cup. It's the individual sugar bombs that got smaller.

14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

speaking of yogurt, what's with the sudden popping up of yogurt places all over? I assume this is all frozen yogurt? They brought one of these companies in to serve yogurt at a function at our work today, can't remember the name, man that stuff was nasty.

15. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I was excited the other day when. on a 20oz. bottle of pop, it showed the calories for the entire bottle rather than per serving. When people read "120 calories per serving" they think it isn't so bad and stop reading before they see that there's 2.5 servings per bottle.

16. michiruwater

Yeah, I've tried the awkward froyo places that have popped up. It's this very odd texture and you can't taste any yogurt in it. I have no idea what it's actually made of.

I made home-made peach frozen yogurt last week for my birthday, and home-made strawberry frozen yogurt yesterday. Amazing :swoon: But I do think it's probably ruined my taste for the store-bought stuff, even the good kinds :lol: There's this amazing sour-sweet flavor to it that even good-quality stuff like Stonyfield Farm can't replicate.

17. cruisin

I agree with Prancer, it's more about cutting costs. The package and price stays the same, but the container holds less. Haagen Dazs containers went from 16 oz. to 14 oz. Cereal boxes got bigger, but they contain less cereal.

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Fry and hamburger sizes were much smaller than even what is in today's kid's meal. I was trying to explain that to someone close to my son's age and they said "weren't you hungry after you finished eating?" I don't think so, but I don't remember
    Still play yards with the McDonalds around here. One is even 2 stories high

19. michiruwater

Kids' meals at most fast food restaurants tend to have the actual number of calories that adults need.

We used to have a Play Place at the McDonalds in Houghton, but when they moved the location to across the street from the Wal*Mart (AKA the biggest attraction in the Copper Country), they didn't put in a play place.

20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Mr. Barbk thinks it is on a thirty year cycle -- last really popular in the '80s, boutique very high end stores opening about ten years ago, and now floods of chains and mom and pop stores. We've gone from about ten back then, to one for the longest time -- and now I can count at least seven.

21. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

22. cruisin

I think most of us know that we need some fat in our diets. But, saturated fats need to be limited. As far as whole milk/vs/skim - my cardiologist says skim.

23. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

And mine says whole. Should they duke it out?

24. cruisin

Yup. Rock 'em Sock 'em Docs! :lol:

Do you have a cholesterol problem or plaque?

25. michiruwater

There are many people who would argue with all three parts of your statement.

In the Michael Pollan book I am just reading, a study group was polled on fats. 23% of them reported that they believed that the best possible diet would be one with no fat whatsoever.

There are different kinds of saturated fats. There was also a time when trans fats were supposed to be the healthy alternative to saturated fat, and then it turned out that trans fats will kill you. There is a lot that nutritionists don't know yet. The real truth is that a diet that consists mostly of meat and dairy products is harmful, but whether it's the saturated fat in those that is really the harmful part can be argued, because it's impossible to isolate just the saturated fat from a whole food and accurately test it. Not to mention that, if this is the standard opinion, and you still think people have an easy time noting what is or is not healthy, then why do Americans consume so much more meat than anyone else?

And everyone will have a different opinion on skim vs. whole vs. in-between.

Like I said pages and pages ago, it's not that easy, actually, to decide for yourself what is healthy. You may think it is, but it's not.

26. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I read that as cholesterol or plague! :eek: :eek: :lol:

27. milanessa

No. Packed a few pounds on in the last few years, though.

You seem to be the one who thinks it's simple, michiruwater. Oh you spout all the disclaimers but...

28. milanessa

Yes, yes! I have plague. :lol: (sorry for the double post :shuffle:

29. michiruwater

Where have I demonstrated that I think it's simple? And which 'it' are you talking about? We've covered a lot of different territories. Please show me exactly which posts and where you came away with the conclusion that I thought it was simple.

And to clarify just in general, there are things within an overall diet that, to me, are both simple and obvious. Eat less meat. Eat whole grains instead of processed grains. Eat more vegetables. But to many people, 'eat less meat' is not something they would ever believe, and they don't understand the differences between whole grains and processed grains or know how to read a label to actually see if the whole grains promised on the box exist in real quantities (they often don't). There are tons and tons of things that are very confusing, and especially to people who haven't researched much on the subject. And the hardest problem of all is how to afford to eat better. I don't think I've ever stated that I think it's all simple.

30. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Is eat less meat really something that is good for diet? My nutritionist always recommends eating lean white meats and non oily fish as one of the best sources of protein when balancing your diet. I'm struggling to think what i would substitute meat for and still get the same amount of protein.