Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 31, 2012.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/n...-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html?_r=1&emc=na

How is this ban going to reduce obesity? Unless they limit the amount of food that people can consume while eating out, I don't see how this is going to help.

Sugary drinks are fattening, but so are a lot of other things like fried foods, mayonaise, ice cream, butter, etc. When people are eating out, let them decide for themselves. I can see something like this being implemented in a school setting, but not in deli's, fast food places, restaurants, etc. :soapbox:

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Whew. I can still visit NYC. I need my diet pop.

I know people go on and on and on and on and on and on about those folks who buy a Big Mac and then a Diet coke, but do you know how many calories are in a Coke? It makes a difference. Diet soda allows for the occasional treat in a person's diet. Besides, diet coke tastes better than regular coke.

I don't see this affecting restaurants too much. The glasses aren't that big and they're usually refillable, anyway.

3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I definately like diet soda better. I just think people should be able to make their own decision about what size soda they want.

4. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Except they didn't outlaw the sale of milkshakes and drinks that contain some juice. Both tend to have more calories than regular pop.

8 oz Tropicana has 100 calories. Not prohibited.
    8 oz Coke has 96 calories. Prohibited.
    8 oz milkshake has 303 calories. Not prohibited.

From a purely caloric perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it. :p

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Diet soda is gross. How healthy is artificial sweetener that's in it?

7. agalisgv

Thank you

My theory has been people who drink diet pop for extended periods of time eventually kill off any taste buds rendering such foul drinks palatable.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I guess I am too unrefined to appreciate the flavour and deliciousness of regular coke.

9. agalisgv

We forgive you :saint:

I don't actually like regular coke either. I'm not a big pop drinker in general :shuffle:

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Me, too -- regular Coke or Pepsi is just too sweet for me.

11. Prancer

Same here. But if I do have a soda, I'd rather have just about anything other than diet anything. Blech.

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, you can eat and consume anything and everything you want but in proportion.

Obesity problem solved!

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

All soda drinks are just full of crap and chemicals, doesn't matter if they are diet or regular. Drink them and you are just putting crap and chemicals into your body which just ain't natural.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

But people are fat! We must DO SOMETHING. It doesn't matter if it's effective or not!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Prancer

All food and drink are made of chemicals, just like we are.

Plenty of natural chemicals are harmful. Plenty of manufactured ones aren't.

Sugar is natural. So is fat.

Soda has no nutritional value, while orange juice and milkshakes do. But orange juice and milkshakes are full of sugar and milkshakes are also full of fat. But sugar and fat are natural.

:drama: Too much for me to comprehend.

16. agalisgv

Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink :shuffle:.

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

NYC already has a law about listing calorie and fat counts for other kinds of food. I remember being in a Starbucks there and being :eek: at how unhealthy some of the baked goods really are.

18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I don't know that I agree with the concept of a law, but the supersizing of drinks here is astounding. As a kid I could get a bottle of pop from a vending machine that was about 8 ounces. Maybe less.

I like the required calorie listings at restaurants. I've been quite surprised at some of them, and it definitely has influenced my choice.

19. genegri

genegri Active Member

My main concern about Coke is other possible harmful consequences, such as osteoporosis. And there is talks about artificial sweetener and cancer. I used to live on Coke. No exaggeration, 90% of my water intake was through Coke (regular Coke only, I don't touch diet anything. And thankfully no need to so far ;)).

Two years ago I decided to be healthy, (ha!) and quit Coke cold turkey. Now I only drink it occasionally when I go out to lunch with friends. Still love it, but I have since discovered water doesn't taste that awful either. :lol: Back then if I had to run to grocery store at midnight it was because I ran out of essentials, like Coke or toilet paper. These days, only toilet paper gets the honor. :D

20. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Definately. I hadn't drunk Coke for years. Decided to have a mouthful and had to spit it out. Was vile.

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

This made me think of the stories about personal trainers who eat at McDonald's for a while and gain lots of weight. So that they can understand overweight/obese people... :rolleyes:

Weight issues are not about what one eats. Weight issues are not about how much one eats. Weight issues are about why one eats calorie-heavy foods.

Bloomberg is showing how clueless he is.

22. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree. All three play a role in being overweight and especially in losing weight!

But Bloombergs plan sounds like a piece of garbage! I think it's safe to say he's taking the "you can eat/drink something "unhealthy" as long as it's in small amounts" a bit too far. What does it matter if there are only smaller drinks available? Then people drink more of the sugary stuff at home. Now there's something gained... (I guess the restaurants/stores would gain something, however, if people buy more drinks because they're smaller... :shuffle:)

23. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

This - I don't drink fizzy pop because it 'burns' my mouth (it feels hot somehow) and I've always found it puzzling that people are able to drink the stuff :lol:

24. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So they can't sell the standard 20 oz. bottles of Coke anymore? Okay ... so I'll just buy two 12 oz. cans instead of one 20 oz. bottle of soda and now I'm consuming 24 ozs. of soda versus 20 oz. Yea. Brilliant plan. Seems to me the only thing this will do is increase the profits for the soda companies because people will now simple buy two smaller bottles. I know I would.

25. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

The aspartame is carcinogenic.

No you are wrong. Weight issues are about how much you eat, what you eat and when you eat it. If you eat 100g of pasta is not the same as eating 100g of white bread. The pasta has a longer glycemic curve, that means that you body needs a lot of time to burn the pasta, and you won't feel hungry for hours because your body is still using the energy of the pasta and doesn't need more. White bread has a shorter glycemic curve, and your body will need less time to use the energy that comes from that food. You will feel hungry in a shorter time because the energy of white bread lasts less than the one of pasta. So if for lunch you eat pasta, you will feel hungry at dinner. If you eat white bread, you will feel hungry after a few hours, and you will feel the need to eat before dinner.
    Every food has a glycemic curve, which is determined by the nature of the food and the way it has been processed. For example, and apple has a quite long glycemic curve. If you blend it, it will be shorter. If you drink just apple juice, without the fibers of the fruit, the curve will last a few minutes. It means that you won't feel hungry for five minutes, while if you had eaten just the apple, you would have felt hungry after a couple of hours.
    And I was just talking about an apple juice, which only contains the water and unprocessed sugar that is in an apple. A coke contains about 1/3 of sugar and 2/3 of water, plus colours and flavourings. Therefore, if you drink 300g of coke (way less than half a litre), you are eating 100g of sugar.
    Another example is that if you eat something at lunch, is not like eating it in the evening, because after lunch you work/study/play a sport, while after dinner you just sleep.
    Another thing I'd like to point out is that eating a lot/junk food and not getting fat does not entitle us to eat it anyway. I've heard lots of thin girls saying that they were eating junk food every day and not getting fat at all. It doesn't mean that your body won't later suffer because of that. Eating junk food for years does not just mean that we will get fat, but we will find the real results of that after decades, when all the junk that we have accumulated in our body (which won't be young any more) will cause tons of different illnesses, and it will be too late to change that situation. We are what we eat.
    IMO what the mayor did is better than nothing.
    Genegri, I'm happy that you quit drinking that much coke. Your body will thank you in the next years :)

sammyf and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

From the article: "The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores."

So, in other words, you can still be a drunk. Just not a fat drunk.

Can't you just see it in a few years. Obesity has been outlawed. Authorities go door to door arresting people for being too fat, and imprison them. While in prison, they are put on strict diets and excercise programs. The only way to serve out your sentence is to lose weight to your prescribed accpetable size.

People begin hiding out in their homes, in fear of being caught for being too fat. Neighbors begin turning in neighbors when they are seen outdoors displaying their fat.

Sounds like a good futuristic SyFy movie, doesn't it?

27. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Wow. Nanny State. I'm over being told what to eat. One day potato is super evil starch food the next I'm reading some article about how they're a super food. Pasta is evil then it isn't. Fat is evil and lard is difficult to find but you can find all sorts of cooking oil. Rice is eaten in the bucketloads in some countries and yet somehow we're killing ourselves eating rice. Meh I like a bit of everything and probably over indulge in sugars etc. Oh and I like coke.

Also pingu you could eat all the healthy food in the world and still find yourself sick. Oh and I feel quite entitled to eat what I want thanks.

28. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Well, I know it has aspertame (spelling?) which turns into formaldehyde when heated, so don't heat up your Diet Coke! At least this is what's been buzzing around for several years.

I used to drink 2-3 Diet Cokes per day. I quit for Lent this year, and I have lost about 5 pounds and a lot of bloat in my lower abdomen, doing nothing else to lose, and now Diet Coke does taste like insecticide to me. I've had 2 since February, and I've absolutely no urge to go back to them. Those 2 I had made me ill.

I believe they make you retain water pretty badly, so the lack of calories is offset by water retention. Someone can contradict me on that, but I think that's right.

29. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I heard about this on the radio and it really bothers me. I have being told what to eat/what not to eat. The second I ban a food/drink, it's all I want.

As for soda, I don't drink it too often anymore (I used to years ago, but have more or less cut it out as something I consume on a weekly basis. I may have a soda once or twice a month, if that). When I do drink soda (either coke or ginger ale), I don't do diet. Diet is a migraine trigger for me. In fact, if I can catch a migraine before it starts (I don't get auras, but sometimes get an odd taste in my mouth before the pain starts), nothing works better than coke and rx strength pain killers. If my stomach is upset, I'm flying, or super nervous about something, I drink ginger ale. So all in all, I don't drink soda often.

Still, I hate the idea of banning soda/sizes of soda. When I was a kid, my family would often buy a large soda at the movies and we'd share/split it 3 ways. Way more cost effective. Now this would require individual sodas and more $$. This won't stop people from consuming larger quantities of soda, but rather it will cost more money to do so (instead of buying 1 20 oz, a person might buy 2 12oz...). I'm convinced, in the end, it's just a money making scheme.

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Most of the folks I've seen buying the 32 oz and larger sizes have been teenaged boys buying mega amounts of Mountain Dew. I've rarely seen someone who needs to lose weight buying one. I have seen a person buy and consume 3 Big Macs, a supersize order of fries, and a Diet Coke.