Stupid question about link syntax for a disk-based website

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Anita18, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I haven't built a website in FOREVER, the last time I've had to do this was on Frontpage. :rofl:

I'm trying to build a website that I will eventually burn onto a CD or DVD, depending how large it ends up being. I'm not planning to put it onto a server. This is a personal project that's basically a compilation of a whole bunch of other sites.

How do I go about linking the webpages and CSS together? What would be the syntax? I'm hesitant to put in an absolute link for everything because I won't know how everyone's computer names their disc drives.

I'm testing the CSS that I've downloaded from some existing pages, attempting to recreate it on my computer, and the background image listed in the CSS refuses to load on Firefox or IE no matter how I try to word the link. Absolutely, relatively, with varying numbers of "../" and it doesn't want to work consistently. If I mess around with the Web Developer Toolbar add-on on Firefox, it'll show up but if I refresh it again, it's gone. I'm sure the images are in the correct folder, since all the other images show up.

Trying to rig all of the .swf files to link correctly is also an issue, but it's going to be an issue for another day, hahaha. :p

Thanks in advance!

2. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I'm not sure about your background issue - that sounds odd that it works sometimes and not others.

As for link syntax, do you have all the .html files saved in the same folder? Or are there subfolders? If they're all in the same folder, your links will look something like:

<a href="pagename.html">Link</a>

Subfolders can start to get messier, requiring "../" structures, etc., but definitely doable as well.

I'm not exactly sure what you're after when you say linking pages and CSS together. Does this document help?: http://htmlhelp.com/reference/css/style-html.html

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Yeah my basic question was about the background url tag used in CSS.

After some more fiddling, I think I figured it out. Since ../ means up a directory, I needed to type that (with the image in the same level folder as the page) and then it finally worked. :lol: Figures it was something simple.

Thanks for the clarification. This is gonna be a whole lot simpler than I originally made it out to be. :lol: