1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuff to do in Warsaw?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sofia Alexandra, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

So me and my folks are going on a mini vacation to Warsaw next week, and we have no specific plans made, except that I think my mama wants to go to a spa (but I think there is one at the hotel? idk). So mostly it'll be shopping, and a lot of aimlessly wandering around in Old Town, but I'm wondering if there's anything else we just can't miss?

The folks aren't much for museums and stuff, most of the time, but visiting old castles and fancy palaces are usually a hit. For my part I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for comic book stores - if there are any? - and antique markets (I might end up wandering around on my own from time to time, since that's how I prefer to experience new places).

As a family we tend to enjoy shopping the most when it's all in one place, like in a mall or on a specific street, and we'll be looking for, well, cheap clothes; whether it's stuff that's a lot more expensive in Sweden, or brands you simply can't find here.

Also, we'll need to eat, and we have no experience with Polish cuisine. Are there any (not overly expensive) restaurants you might recommend? Italian always works, otherwise, and non-fastfood burgers (me and stepdad are rather picky eaters).

(I should mention that I've been to Warsaw before, for the Euros, but pretty much all I saw on that trip was the hostel, the arena, and a shopping mall near the train station. And it was cold, snowy, all the streets were super slippery, and I ate pretty much nothing but McD or KFC for the entire week. I think this visit will be a bit nicer, even without the skating. :lol: )

2. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Give us all a day for tactful pause to comment on Poland, since the special resident of Poland, Ziggy, just passed away. I have some suggestions for Warsaw in a few days.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I visited Warsaw last year. The Wilanov palace and Chopin park were nice. However, I had the most fun in the market square. They had many small shops with a lot of variety. The ceramics shop was particularly nice. Their name is ceramika ArT & stylArT (I am copying from their business card). Many local artists were selling their work there, for very reasonable prices. I bought some amber jewelry also. There were lots of eating places in the market square but as a vegetarian my choices are usually pretty limited. The city itself is rebuilt, so it looks very new. The ghetto memorial was interesting too.