Studies as to how people make -- or not make -- decisions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Sep 28, 2010.

1. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Thought-provoking, at least

Why So Many People Can't Make Decisions

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703694204575518200704692936.html

---------------------

April 25, 2010
    Decisions, Decisions . . .
    It May Not Sound Rational, But Experts Say Emotions and Gut Feelings Are More Important Than Intellect in Making Choices

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/25/sunday/main6430448.shtml

I've noticed that at work...customers overwhelmed with options, which prompts them to delay purchasing the product in order to "think about it". :wall:

I also remember going to a cafe years ago with a man who defected from the Soviet Union and we were looking at the menu of teas and coffees. "So many little decisions here in America EVERY day :yikes: ". Yes, there is definitely a downside to so many options.

2. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I know that I can find better books at a small library than at a big city one. It takes too long to find the good ones amongst the overwhelming shelves.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I like to think about it. Because if the thing I saw is still in my mind after half an hour and I can think of very good reasons to go back and buy it, then that is going to influence my decision making.

Unless they are a pair of jeans or pants that fit perfectly first time and look good, and having been someone who has trouble finding things like that to fit, then I will usually get them. Because I know that I am going to wear them and they won't be wasted.

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Yeah my art instructors always said that when you work with clients, just provide 3 options. You can weed out the crappy ones while you brainstorm by yourself, but when it comes to decision-time with the client, only lay out your 3 best ones. Otherwise they'll get overwhelmed. :lol:

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

6. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The description about the person who sees the world in shades of gray is totally describing me! I can never ever make a decision, just ask my boyfriend! I can also talk myself out of anything, even something that I think I feel strongly about. Creepy but I think I prefer to see the world in shades of gray rather than only black and white.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

I was talking about my college experience in the other thread, and one of the things I had an issue with was the endless choices of courses at a large university. I was overwhelmed all right.

My gut instinct was right at the time--I wanted to go to a smaller state U (though I ended up not going).