Strongest - and weakest - dance championships

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Loves_Shizuka, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

For obvious reasons, I think it is clearer when a singles or pairs event is well skated or not. But what are some of the better, and indeed, worse, dance championships?

Despite an (amateur) background in modern dance, I still find the event a bit ... shall we say "murky", at times ;) But I am trying!

So, to my unedeucated eye, Torino seemed to be a hot mess - with, for me, very few memorable moments other than that stare, all the OD falls and and D/V's POTO :lol: N/K are perhaps the least talked about Olympic dance champions (or so it seems?) Then again, I've always thought of the 03-06 cycle as being relatively weak? Is this fair?

Euros this year didn't seem so strong to me.

On the flip side, I was watching some 1991 worlds earlier. Was that considered a deep and well-skated event? The three medallists were fantastic IMO, but I enjoyed many of the lower teams as well. (How did U/Z win both CD's, have four 1st place ordinals in the FD, but still only come 3rd?! :confused: :lol: )

Educate me FSUers! Of course there is a difference between a competition being well-skated and the standard not being very high in the first place, but which competitions would you say have been the strongest and weakest in the discipline?

2. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Totally agree! For me the 2003-2005/6 period was a downfall in dance too and N/K really aren't the type of Olympic champions people would talk about. They were just so-so. They didn't have a spark, nothing that would make them stand out. I remember Torino Olympics in dance for the same reasons you do (the stare, the OD falls and D/V's return).

A Worlds dance event I like to go back to the most is 2008 Goetheborg. I loved so many performances there: DelSchoes had the Piano, Meryl&Charlie had Eleanor Rigby, P/B had that cool insanity FD, F/S skated to Barbra, C/L had la Traviata... I loved the FDs as far down the field as Copely/Stagniunas. It happens to me very rarely to remember programs of teams who placed 14th. And then the ODs! The Kerrs' Scottish dance is one of the most memorable programs ever.

I think Euros pretty much started looking weak after 2010, when North American teams took over and the best the Europeans can count on at Worlds is bronze. And even that after a hard battle against other North American teams, W/P forefront.

I do have high hopes that this season's Olympics will be kind of awesome. VM and DW will have an epic battle for gold, so will P/B, W/P, B/S, I/K, C/L, C/B and God knows who else for bronze. I think the field right now is looking strong - maybe not very strong, but decently strong indeed.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Red Member

I third that about 2003-2006 being weak, at least, ice dance bored me so much then I pretty much stopped watching. Though pairs seemed pretty awful to me as well.

Sochi will certainly be much better, it's a pretty good field, the only "problem" is that, barring a catastrophe of Fusar Poli/Margaglio dimensions, we pretty much know gold and silver are a lock, though not which of V/M and C/W will be on the top step. Although that battle in itself promises to be very exciting.

mia joy, very true about 2008, remembering lots of programmes even from lower-ranked teams is a pretty good marker for an excellent season!

4. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

1989 Worlds was absolutely wonderful from places 1 through 5. 1991 Worlds was wonderful from 1 through 4 in the FS.

2006 was memorable as a hot mess, so I guess the worst would be those works I do not remember at all.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I thought apart from the excitement of Virtue & Moir's incredible performances and victory 2010 Olympics was pretty boring and not very strong. Domnina & Shabalin were in horrible shape. Davis & White were still artistically blah at that point and rose that high mostly due to others health problems/decline, and the other reason I am so glad V&M put it together and won as D&W IMO would have been one of the weakest Olympic Champions ever had they won that year (2014 would be nothing like that of course if they win). Belbin & Agosto were out of favor politically, and Delobel & Schoenfeldner were nowhere near ready for the Games. Failla & Scali should have won atleast the bronze, but the judges were never going to go for that. 2010 Worlds was even more of a dead event, and completely unsuspenseful as far as every position in the top 5, with F&S getting their predictable career achievement bronze on home ice despite skating nowhere near as well at the Games or Europeans, and P&B probably outskating them there, while even a visibly subpar V&M were superior and won over (correctly) an at their best D&W at that point.

1988 Olympics was pretty boring, especialy in a competitive sense and none of the medal winning or top 5 programs were that memorable.

2006 Olympics I was actually excited about going in as it felt like as many as 8 teams could medal, but the event turned into a mess, and DelSchoes were robbed as usual. As a Canadian skating fan Marie France's fall was heartbreaking, especialy as they really could have won atleast silver that year I believe.

I thought the 1991 World dance event and 1994 Olympic ice dancing event were spectacular for both performances and competitive drama between the top 3. The 1992 Olympic dance event was outstanding more for the number of memorable programs than competitive suspsense.

The 1984 Olympics was also a great event with very memorable programs from all of Torvill & Dean, Bestiamanova & Bukin (one of their only amateur programs I actually liked), and Blumberg & Seibert. While there was no drama for gold, there was a great deal for the 2-4 places with B&S having every chance to both pass B&B or be passed themselves by K&P.

The 1997 World dance event was excellent with great performances from all of the top 6. Krylova & Ovsiannikov really began to challenge Gritschuk & Platov for the first time around then, and Bourne & Kraatz (who IMO hit their all time peak that year) were also starting to challenge K&O.

6. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Even K&P's Beatles FD? I have always loved that program.

7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Honestly it didnt do anything for me. I didnt dislike it, but it was their least memorable program besides their 84 Olympic season program IMHO. I still prefered it to B&B's typical heavy and toxic number, and still think they deserved the 88 Olympic Gold.

Wilson & McCall's program was my favorite of the final flight that year by far (not that I am disputing their 3rd placement, but it was for me the most enjoyable).

8. Loves_Shizuka

I'm going to go back and watch 2008 (vague memories) 1997 (even vaguer memories) and 1989 for starters.

I was looking over the placements for Torino, and it's actual comedy.

B/A won the silver, being 6th in the CD and 4th in the FD. Obviously.

D/S were 7-4-2 (I'd forgotten they were 2nd in the FD)

F-P/M were 1-10-8. C/S were 13-6-7

The Kerrs managed to finish 10th despite not being in the top ten in any portion of the event.

F/S were 10-21-10 :lol:

Surely some of the biggest movement ever in one dance championship.

9. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

wow, what a sham. comedic indeed.

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

And the best part is that in the end, we ended up with the exact same top 5 from 2005 Worlds. :rolleyes:

C&S and DomShabs also kept their relative placements from 2005, bearing in mind that D&V and FP&M did not compete in 2005 and D&L wd from the Olympics....

11. Loves_Shizuka

^ I'm trying to remember who fell in the OD. Obviously D/L and F-P/M ... who else.

It's weird to look back and think that Grushina/Goncharov have an Olympic medal, and the DelSchoes, Denstas, D/V, R/K and B/K don't...

12. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Drobiazko/Vanagas and Faiella/Scali. On top of that, Chait/Sakhnovsky (never knew hot to spell his last name) fell in the CD IIRC.

And ditto to your second sentence.

13. Loves_Shizuka

^Ugh. Of course. I've blocked D/V's fall from my mind, hence my question :( :wuzrobbed

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

P&B also fell in the OD. I think that covers it. :lol:

15. mia joy

mia joy New Member

If watching figure skating ever literally broke my heart, it was the moment DV fell in Torino. It was even more heartbreaking for me than their defeat at Olympics and Worlds 2002.
    In general, I think theirs is one of the saddest skating careers ever.

16. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

2010 was weak. The bronze medal routine looked like the man had big leg problems and could barely extend it straight and super slow.

2002 was good. The top 5 were all evenly matched and very strong. Drobiazko and & Vapgas do great routine good for gold in other Olympics but only take 5th place.