Stretching leather shoes and boots - help!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by *Jen*, Dec 4, 2011.

1. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with stretching out leather boots?

I bought an AMAZING pair last week, but I had problems choosing the size. One size fit well in the length of the foot, but was tight around the calves and over the top of the foot. The second pair were way too long, but fit better in other places.

Based on the assurance of not one, but 3 different sales staff that they would stretch out (and if they didn't, I could return them so long as I hadn't worn them out of the house), I took them home to wear around the house and try to break them in.

This has worked over the top of the foot (mostly) and around the calves...but I would like to stretch them a little more. Has anyone ever tried to use a leather softener on the calves of boots? Many years ago I stretched some shoes, but never the calves of knee high boots ;)

They do fit fine with tights and long sock, but my hope is to stretch them a tiny bit so I can tuck my jeans in. I could return them for the size up, but am a massive clutz and worry that I'd trip over boots that are too long...

Any advice? :)

2. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I would go to your shoe smith or local department store and get shoe stretch spray. It is basically isopropyl alcohol. Spray a little on the insides of the calf and wear them around the house. Good luck!

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Cocomo

Cocomo New Member

I just recently had a pair stretched at my local shoe repair, was told to expect just a half a size bigger, and it was only $12. You can always try the water/freezer method, there are several YouTube tutorials like this one http://youtu.be/LA9OPuANjJs

4. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input :) Cocomo, were the boots in fact half a size bigger after? Were you happy with the results?

And Skatemommy, have you used the spray? I know what can be done and where I can buy it, I just don't want to ruin brand new boots, so am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and can tell me how it turned out :)

As it happens, I wore them around the house today and they stretched out a lot - enough for me to put them on over jeans. They're still a bit tight though, especially over the top of the foot :(

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

As Cocomo said, taking them to a shoe repair professional may help or wearing them over really sick socks around the house.

6. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

"He was a bad boy and I was a good girl
    He needed me to smooth out the edges
    He'd get his drink on and flirt with the ladies
    After two years of his crap I quit begging
    I'm a magnet for the fixer upper man
    If I know it's fire, why do I let it burn my hand

Cupid works for the devil
    Be suspicious if he cries
    You know sex is usually good
    Yeah, but it ain't always right
    Chocolate is a band-aid and no matter what they say
    [size=+2]Shoes don't stretch [/size] and men don't change."
    -- Amy Dalley

7. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:lol: PRlady - but I disagree. Shoes stretch. Especially leather ones ;)

Sick socks IceAlisa? Or thick socks? ;) I might try increasing the thickness of the socks progressively. Thanks :)

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:lol: Thick, pardon the typo. Super thick and yes, try layering progressively.

9. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

As a former shoe salesman, yes, leather will stretch. As a regular wearer of cowboy boots (like PL, I like pointy toes and high heels ;) ), make sure the shaft is actually leather. Not all boots are. The material label will tell you. A good cobbler should be able to stretch them.

10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I also used to sell shoes, and will confirm what Reuven said - leather shoes can be stretched. So if these are leather, you're in luck.

As with skate boots, leather can be stretched. If you bring them to a shoe repair guy/cobbler, they'll have a machine that'll do this quickly, and only in the exact places you need it.

11. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I've used isopropyl alcohol on specific places in my skates and it's worked well :)

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Doesn't it stretch wider, but not longer?

13. Reuven

The sole of the shoe will prevent shoe size change, but width can be gained.

14. Cocomo

Cocomo New Member

My twelve dollars was money well spent and I'm guessing the stretch was just about a half size like they said. The kept my shoes for about 4 days so plan ahead if you want to wear them anythime soon.

15. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Thanks guys :) I don't want the shoe size to change, I am just after width. I've committed to this pair, and wore them to work today. They've stretched out already, I'm just going to find the spray and then wear thicker and thicker socks :)

16. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Next time save 12 dollars... and buy cheap 5.99 bottle of Popov Vodka.
    Take thick socks, soak in Vodka and wear inside the shoes/boots for 2 hours.

- This is a free Old World advise from the Victim of Soviet Consumer Goods Shortages who made size 34/35 shoes stretch to size 35/36 for 4 years

17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Thanks Tinami. I haven't bought anything yet, so I'll keep it in mind :)

18. Reuven

And if the vodka doesn’t work, you can always drink it, then you won’t feel a thing! :)

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I did think that my legs might be drunk. I'm sure it's possible to absorb alcohol that way :lol: