Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, May 14, 2011.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, in a film being released in the fall. Easy math! ...

Streep + Streep accent + Streep Oscar drought+ British theme + Weinstein US promotion
    =
    OSCAR WIN

Any other actress with serious Oscar-caliber work/expectations should, pronto, delay her film into early 2012, claiming "production delays" or some other b.s. Iron Lady distribution

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

She will get beat out again by someone else. I would LOVE for her to win one more Oscar. She doesn't have enough considering the AMAZING roles she has done and been nominated for.

3. duane

duane New Member

I totally agree. Very few actresses in history become the characters they are portraying the way Streep does.

4. millipied

millipied New Member

She will sit it out this year as it is looking to be very strong lineup for first time nominees this year. But probably win finally next year for August: Osage County.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yeah, I think that'll be hard to beat!

6. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Oh, Weinstein picked up the rights? That man campaigns hard for his actors. Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman.....Paltrow (?) all won, to name a few.

7. millipied

millipied New Member

Weinstein can do magic. But for every winner, they have 10 losses:) Anyway, August: Osage County is also their production.

8. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I can't wait to see both of these films. The thought of Streep in August: Osage County is just :swoon: to me. It was the best production of a play I've ever seen.

9. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Wouldn't it be the thirty year anniversary since her last Oscar if she wins for this? She is such an amazing actor I cringe when I think of some who have won in the last thirty years. (Helen Hunt, Gyneth Paltrow).

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Some of the Oscar nominations in the middle, I can kind of see why she didn't win. I mean, Music of the Heart, come on. However, I still think losing to Catherine Zeta Jones in 02 is crazy and don't even get me started on her losing to Sandra Bullock.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

CZJ was pretty effing awesome in Chicago though. By far the best thing in that movie.

Sandra Bullock, though... I'll never understand that decision. Especially when Streep was Julia Child.

12. duane

duane New Member

1988 had a score of amazing, nominated performances (Glen Close for Dangerous Liaisons, Melanie Griffith for Working Girl, Sigourney Weaver for Gorillas in the Mist, and winner Jodie Foster for The Accused, but my pick would have been Streep for A Cry In the Dark. I SO love this movie and Streep's performance!

13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Streep has missed out on quite a few roles that were truly Oscar worthy. I hope some day the academy honors her with at least a third Oscar, and not the one for Lifetime Achievement (that too will come eventually).

14. BigB08822

Not trying to hijack this thread but it fits with the theme.

I just watched Blue Valentine. It wasn't the most exciting movie I have ever seen but the acting was just phenomenal. I can't possibly see a way that these two will not win an Oscar at some point in their life if they want it. They have both been nominated (she twice, including for this, him once for Half Nelson) and are so young. I forgot I was watching a movie. Michelle Williams was especially strong.

15. BigB08822

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I don't care about the Oscars, but this IS a film I am looking forward to.

17. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I agree, CZJ was the best part of that movie and very good. I just think Meryl Streep in Adaptation, which is also a far better movie than Chicao, was sublime and far above anyone else that year.

I have no idea why Bullock got the Oscar unless people just like her. It's not like Kate Winslet or Nicole Kidman where a role was overlooked and they won a couple years later instead.

And really, I thought she was better in Doubt than Kate Winslet in The Reader. I think Winslet should have either been nominated for Best Actress in Revolutionary Road or supporting for The Reader.

I love Blue Valentine. I agree that it didn't feel like a movie, it felt like staring into the most troubled parts of a relationship. I never thought I'd say it, but Williams is one of my favorite actors out there right now. I think Ryan Gosling deserved a nomination as well. I can't believe how strong of an actor Williams has become. She was terrific in Brokeback Moustain, but even better in Wendy and Lucy, which didn't receive an Oscar nomination. Unfortunately, I think she needs to take the lead in a larger studio production to win an Oscar.

18. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Ditto. Those were two years I really really wanted her to win. I suspect the voters hold her to a higher standard in some ways. I'm really excited about her upcoming films and hope she does get another Oscar someday.

19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

This is one the upcoming movies I'm really looking forward to. I mean, if *anyone* can turn themselves into Maggie Thatcher, then... :D

The other one I can't wait for is A Dangerous Method. Viggo Mortensen as Freud w/David Cronenberg directing? Reserve me a seat in the theatre for Opening Night for this puppy!! :D

20. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Actually I believe the Weinsteins just picked this film for for distribution, they aren't actually the producers. (i.e. in having laid out the production costs)

The movie is directed by Phyllida Law, who did Streep no favors in "Mamma Mia." :shuffle: And as much as I love Meryl, that movie was far from good on most levels. :shuffle:

I'd love to see Streep win another Oscar, but honestly it doesn't seem like she seems concerned. She's known for not campaigning, which severely undercut her chances in 2003, 2006, and 2009. :(

21. BigB08822

I don't think the director was the problem with Mamma Mia. Actually, I am not sure there was a problem. For me it was a good film for what it was, a fun, campy and slightly cheesy musical. It was not the type of role to showcase any acting skills even if Meryl Streep was involved. Didn't it go on to become the biggest grossing film of all time in Britain?

22. soxxy

soxxy Guest

What else has Phyllida Lloyd directed?

23. BigB08822

Apparently not a lot. IMDB lists in order:

Gloriana, Mamma Mia, Macbeth and Iron Lady

Macbeth has a 2011 release date and hardly any information on IMDB so not sure what that means. Iron Lady is of course not done. So only 2 to go on. Oh, and Gloriana was a TV movie. Not the best resume but I think Meryl can more than direct herself to an Oscar.

24. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I love that Merly Streep would agree to do Mama Mia. She is incredibly talented, but doesn't take herself too seriously.

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It's a really challenging role, even for an actress as accomplished as Streep. Especially taking into account the challenge of being the female prime minister of a major western power, which is much more daunting that being the female prime minister of a country deemed less important in the global hegemony (i.e. Pakiston). Thatcher is pretty much the only woman to have accomplished that (though Canada did have a female PM for a few weeks).

It would be a real stretch for even an accomplished actress to penetrate Thatcher's rigid Iron Lady persona and uncover the dimensions of the woman within it, her struggles, and her triumphs. There aren't a lot of screen precedents for it, as there are for queens and the wives of Presidents and Prime Ministers.

Looking forward to seeing how Streep manages it!! It could be a brilliant opportunity for her, but she also miss the mark. And I say that even though I generally love Streep.

26. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Streep doesn't miss the mark.

:p

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

28. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I read that CZJ bought Rolexes for Oscar voters so it ain't surprising she won. Ugh...can't ever picture Streep doing that. :lol:

I can't wait to watch Streep in Iron Lady - Thatcher was such a character that I'm really curious as to how Meryl will play her. Let's hope she does as accurate an impression as Thatcher on Spitting Image. :D It would be fitting for Streep to finally win another Oscar for playing someone so ingrained in the public consciousness and who had such an impact in the UK.

29. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Your post implies that accomplishments of women from non-western countries are not as impressive as that of a western country's head (in this case Thatcher). You are only displaying your ignorance and/or bias by making a statement like that. There have been great women leaders in non-western countries too (e.g. Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, etc.), and currently there are women heads of states in Germany, Australia, and others. Why are they not as admirable to you as Mrs.Thatcher? Do you really know what challenges these women had to face, or you only consider what happens in western countries real challenges? I guess you don't consider these other countries a 'power', so their heads must have it all easy, according to you.

That said, I am defnitely interested in Streep's portrayal of Thatcher. Many times the Oscars have gone to actors/actresses that played real life people. May be this will help her chances.

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I do not imply that the political accomplishments of female politicians in non-western countries are less impressive than their western counterparts. And nor did I say anything that suggests I find them less admirable.

The comment I made was "a country deemed less important in the global hegemony". If a US president is female she is going to hold more power over world affairs than a President from a less powerful country and there is going to be more resistance to a female leader. This is because the structure of world affairs remains patriarchal despite political advancements by women, which is evident in women's lesser representation in office vis a vis men. The last statistics I remember referencing re women's representation in office revealed that the representation of American women was way down the list. (Sweden was highest among western nations).

The fact that this is a reality does not reflect my views of female politicians or indicate that female leaders of non-western country have it easier than their western counterpart. I have tremendous admiration for the exiled leader of Pakistan, Indira Ghandi, and Golda Meir, among others.

Cornfed likes this.