Strange Things You Do

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by SHARPIE, May 26, 2010.

1. BrokenAnkle

BrokenAnkle Active Member

WHen I go up or down a staircase, I count the steps

When I have Diet Coke I must have it in a glass filled with ice. Yes I know I get less DC but I think it tastes really good that way and am willing to sacrifice quantity for quality.

If our dog decides to sleep on the floor instead of on our bed I get offended or else I think he is mad at me.
  2. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

I talk to myself all the time but particularly when I'm organizing things. My brain is so cluttered with 32803423 thoughts that it helps me to talk things through.

I talk to Pandora, my sweet kitty a lot. She just stares..:D

I wear socks to bed. I can be wearing my birthday suit to bed but I need my socks. My feet are perpetually cold.

Since I was a child, I would tug and twirl on a section of hair on the right side. It's a nervous habit that continues to this day. Except that section of my hair now has a different texture than the rest of my head.

I like my salads extra crunchy. That includes adding lots of those thin asian noodles (don't know the name), croutons, bacon bits. The lettuce must crunch too! I will not have soggy lettuce.
  3. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

When I was on drill team, I used to 'count' when I walked. And for dance team people, left foot is always on the odd count (1, 3, 5, 7,). So you can imagine how messed up I was in high school with that business. :lol:

My light switches have to be a certain way or I get mad. If they're both off, both must be up. If on, both must be down. In my bathroom, my light switch is the same. And since there are two since I share a bathroom with a vacant room, it's always getting changed by the cleaning ladies. I ALWAYS have to fix it.

My doors must always be completely open (touching the wall/door stop) or completely closed. No in between.

I hate it when there's any form of trash in my car. If you even leave a gum wrapper, I get angry. I like to keep my car clean and taken care of.

I think I'm paranoid about headphones staying in my ears, I'm always adjusting them when I listen to music.

I blame my dad for this... Whenever I park my car, I put it in park and use the emergency brake.

I am also anal about the reading a book series from first to last. I get pissed if I happen to pick up the 2nd or 4th or something. It MUST go in order!!

I alphabetize my DVD collection.

I think that's it...
  4. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Can you come live with me? Floors are the one thing I hate to clean.

Oh, I figured out another thing. I press pens to my upper lip, preferably pens with cool metal bits. :confused:
  5. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

To this day I can't stand it if different foods on my plate touch each other. (The only exception is that I eat corn & mashed potatoes together.) At least I no longer eat my food in rotation, ie all my meat then all my potatoes then all my veggies like I used to do.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oleada I twitch all the time which landed me in trouble with my downstairs neighbour whose ceiling was shaking. :D
  7. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I talk to animals all the time, especially my rabbit, I'm sure he's most intelligent:):)

I also talk to the TV, especially to sports commentators, I have so much I want to comment on, and they need to hear it. Too bad they can't!

My friend is really cute, she has all kinds of weird doings. she can't touch cotton. she can't take the last pill of the box of allergy pills that she takes every day, so it's left alone there, and she saves them, so she has a pile of boxes, with only one pill on them. she never have eggs for breakfast, she doesn't like to crack them, fearing there's a live chicken inside.
  8. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I read the newspaper from the inside out. Fluffiest sections first, and if I run out of time for the main news section, oh well...
  9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I should have done that before I read Wives and Daughters. Then I would have known that the author had died before finishing it and I'd have to guess the ending, and wouldn't have spent SOOOOOO much time on it waiting for the end :mad:;)
  10. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is like this. She has a bunch of those school lunch trays with separate compartments for different foods so that they never touch each other.
  11. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I used to do both of these things when I was a kid, but I don't think I do either anymore. I had a lot of other weird eating hangups, like instead of salting my food evenly, I poured a little pile on my plate and dipped my food in it. I'm so glad I stopped that one; it got a lot of comments.

Nowadays the only food thing I can think of involves Oreos. I must always eat them in even numbers and in this pattern: the first is eaten as is, the second I take apart, eat the top, scrape out the middle with my bottom teeth, and then eat the rest. I continue with this pattern until I'm done eating them. I'm sure this looks really weird, now that I see it written out.

The whole reason I can only sleep on my right side is because of something my friend did when I was a kid. Remember the Bloody Mary game that kids played in front of the mirror? Well, she made up a far scarier version called Mary White. In her game, all you had to do was say "Mary White" in front of the mirror twice and then Mary White would come out and kill you. She locked herself in my room, and then came out and told me she had done that, but Mary White wouldn't come out until some other time, maybe even years later, to kill me. After that I couldn't sleep facing my mirror, which was to my left. I actually still have that mirror and I'm still alive for now. :lol:
  12. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I talk to my male cat a lot more than the female one...I think it's because I'm constantly telling him how spoiled he is. He's absolutely rotten.
  13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

spoon several spoons of peanut butter into a bowl and drizzle chocolate over it and eat it all :D

talk to Nina(my yorkshire terrier) and tell her where I'm going when I leave, and let her know "i'll be right back" or "see her this evening" I say it hoping that she gets used to at least the speech patterns before I leave...and hope she recognizes I always come back when I say those things.

rent movies with the intention of watching them, but then never watching them and still having late fees because I procrastinated watching them past the due date.

muttering to other people who obviously can't hear me, while driving.

If I forget to do laundry I'll iron and febreeze something to wear lol.(has only happened twice)

I always read magazines back to front. It's more comfortable for me to flip the pages that way.
  14. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I don't like sleeping with the blanket tucked underneath the mattress. I need to set it free, otherwise I feel trapped and compressed when I sleep.

I know the names of the pets in my neighborhood but not their owners' :shuffle: (I keep forgetting!)

I destroy pens when I'm on conference calls.

When I was a kid, I used to eat pizza like this: take off the cheese, eat the edge, eat the crust and then eat the cheese.

To this day I eat my sandwiches edges first, then the corners, then what's between the corners (so I have a small square), then the corners again, etc.
  15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I don't think it's odd to talk to the :cat: . When mine wants something, she can do that "Puss in Boots" look from Shrek.
  16. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

:lol: That sounds like a Stephen Wright joke!

I do that with my downstairs toilet and the washing machine. They are both on the same main drain. Of course my washing machine once backed up through the toilet, so, I guess that's not a strange worry :lol:.

I always talk to my dog, and he understands me :D.

Sometimes, when I am angry at someone and know that an argument is about to happen, I will have the argument out loud (usually in my car :lol:). I don't argue both sides, just mine. But I do anticipate what the other person will say. I think I do it to hear what my arguments sound like and edit. But there are times when I am sure that the person in the lane next to me is wondering who the heck I'm talking to. :lol:
  17. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Take me or leave me! I do not take myself that seriously! :)

Oh, one thing I do do is this! Whenever I meet somebody I always wonder which leg they put in their pants first, doesn't matter whether they are everyday people or famous, it brings things to the proper level.
  18. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

I got tired of waiting for warm water to get to my bathroom sink. So now I turn on the faucet (half strength), use the toilet, and then the sink water is the correct temperature by the time I'm ready to use it. And no, I'm not wasting any more water than I did before. Before I just stood there and waited for it to warm up.

I do that at the ice rink, like when children leave the hockey bench doors open. It just seems so dangerous to keep them open.
  19. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

I absolutely MUST read the newspaper in order. I hate it if someone else has read it before me and moved the sections around -- i have to reorganize it properly before starting on it (and yes, that means reading the funnies when I come across them too, not saving them for last!).
    rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  20. cruisin

Oh, you just reminded me of one. I absolutely hate it when I buy a paperback and my husband starts reading it before I'm done. I like the feel of a new book, the uncracked spine, etc. It drives me crazy that he'll pick it up and read it without saving my place. And, that when I want to read it he's got it and I get "5 more minutes, I want to finish this part...". Leave my book alone! You can have it when I'm done!
  21. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

When I put on my rings, the hallmarks inside ("sterling silver" or "14K" and the like) have to be facing right side up.

However, my mom just gave me her wedding band from her wedding to my dad, and there are engraved words inside the band that face in both directions. I headed off a potential nervous breakdown :lol: by deciding that my parents' initials and wedding date should be facing up.
  22. KatieC

KatieC On hold

:lol: Nobody in my house will touch my book before I'm finished! They know what would happen!

I talk to my cats, strange dogs, the fish in the pond, say good morning to the morning glories -

When I say my prayers, I leave in all the people/animals I love who have died - it now appears I know more dead people than live. :yikes:
  23. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

when I am stressed or frightened, I ask my guardian angels (my grandma, my daughter and a very good friend) to help protect me.

I organize my clothes by color and type - all jackets are here, all skirts are here, etc. And I get upset when they become jumbled.
  24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I've got very mild OCD (not actually diagnosed but I wouldn't be surprised ;)) So everything ideally should be neat and organised and done in a certain way, etc.

I guess it's not really OCD because even though I always strive for things to be this way, I don't freak out (well only a little bit :p) when it's not so.
  25. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I do that, too! My closet is color-coded in the order of the rainbow. :lol: My old roommate was amazed that I kept it in order, and she was always having me organize her. But I kept having to reorganize it, because she couldn't keep it in order. :)

All of the clocks in my apartment, my watch, and my car are set ten minutes fast.
  26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

And I'm sure they do so! That's so sweet! ((((hugs))))

In my own OCD way, after I take a shower, I have to throw the bath towel I dry off with over the shower rail so that any tags on the towels are on the inside on the shower facing in. Does that make sense? Sick, huh??? :lol: I also have "lucky nightgowns." And if I wear something new and have a bad day, that poor article of clothing might get put into the good will basket.
  27. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

If I have an itch on my right arm, for example, I have to scratch the same spot on the left as well to make it even.

I also organize my clothes by color within style.
  28. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

My husband talks to other drivers as if they can hear him. I always ask the Dr. Phil, "How's that workin for ya?" The horn on his car is soooo wimpy (Mercedes) that when he tries to honk them out of the way I slink under the dashboard. It is SO embarassing but not like I know these people either.
  29. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Is there anyway to catch a mild case of OCD, especially re organising ones clothing.

I have a pile of clean laundry next to my bed that is now as high as my mattress.

I can put an item on the stairway landing to be carried upstairs the next time I go up- and have it still be on the landing 2 weeks later. :(
    birdgal and (deleted member) like this.
  30. liv

liv Well-Known Member

OH, reading this reminds me of other things i"m glad to find other people do:

I count the steps as I go up or down...especially when drunk, lol.

Certain foods cannot touch each other, particularly a hot and a cold. They MUST be separate.

I cannot eat food with a normal sized fork. I have to use a dessert fork.

I cannot touch a steering wheel of a car that was touched by another person unless I've cleaned it.

I don't like library books because other people have touched them so I always buy books, even though it's more expensive. I'm not yet at the stage where I use gloves, but I know some who do...

I remember my credit card numbers, bank card numbers, license plates, phone numbers from decades ago. And when nervous I count mini blinds, folds in curtains, seats in theatres etc.
  31. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I have a thing about people eating my food without permission. I think it's a primal instinct. ;)

Example: I will grab a bowl and put some snacks in it (chips, crackers, etc.) My husband will take a few out, even before I've had any. I tell him to get his own and stop eating mine!

My mother used to do that to me too. I only share when I want to. ;)
  32. cruisin

You can be OCD but not about everything. I am OCD about germs. But only germs in public places. I can barely walk into a public bathroom, but bathrooms in my house, family's house, friend's houses don't bother me. I am totally neurotic about counters and sinks in the kitchen and bathroom being clean. I am fastidious about hanging up clothes and perfectly folding them, but in general, I'm not overly neat. If I forget to take laundry out of the washing machine and put it into the dryer at night, I get up the next morning and will run it through the wash again. But, if I do the wash in the morning and forget to put it in the dryer until that night, I'll just throw it in the dryer. It might sit longer in the washer during the day, but for some :confused: reason it only bothers me if it's over night. I am very neurotic about raw meat, chicken, fish. But I've had bad food a few times, so I guess there's a good reason. When I cook meat I wash my hands at least twice and then bleach the sink. Anything the raw meat might have touched or my hands might have touched gets bleached too. Yet, I know restaurants are not that careful and I eat in them.

I don't do that if it's only one bad thing. But I had two sweaters that every time I wore them something bad happened. I won't give them away because I don't want to give someone else the bad luck :confused::lol:. So, they are in the basement. One time I was about to make pancakes and something very bad happened, I will never make or eat pancakes again :lol:. That's not a hardship though, because I don't like them much anyway.

liv, sounds like you have a little OCD going on, welcome :)!

I think most people have a little OCD. Any ritual behavior, phobia, or superstition has roots in OCD. It isn't until OCD takes over your life or makes your life unmanageable that you need to worry.

Oh, and any OCD things you do, try to laugh about them. It's no fun being a little crazy if you can't make a joke of it. :lol:
  33. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:rofl: Same here - I thought I was the only one who did that! If whatever I'm eating requires a fork, I absolutely cannot stand using a fork with long tines. No idea why, but I've been like that since I was a kid.

More strange things...

- I cannot stand walking around barefoot. At all. Even if I'm inside in our house, I have to have socks on my feet at all times and go into a nervous fit if my feet are naked :lol: ....The thought of walking barefooted outside gives me the willies :yikes: to the point of having a mini panic attack :slinkaway. The only exception to the rule is when I'm at the beach and on wet sand - I have to wear sandals to walk from the house/hotel down to the beach or while walking on dry sand, but as soon as I hit wet sand, the sandals are ditched ASAP, and I must be barefooted.

- Before going to sleep at night, I have to make sure that every cabinet and closet door is securely shut. Many a night I've laid in bed with a nagging thought rattling in my head if I can't recall checking on a door to make sure it was closed. Unless I get out of bed and double-check on it, I wind up in a snit and cannot relax enough to fall alseep. That happens a lot more nowadays, since MiniCyn is apparently allergic to shutting cabinet and closet doors. Come to think of it, add drawers to the list - open drawers drive me bonkers at all hours of the day, which is something I got from my Mom, who was definitely OCD about keeping things in Spartan order.

- Going to sleep with any makeup on and/or not doing my nighttime skincare regimen. It doesn't matter how exhausted I may be - if I have on any makeup, even if it's just a few dabs of concealer or a dusting of powder, I can't go to sleep wit any of it on my face, and if I don't cleanse, tone, and apply my serums and moisturizers, the guilt gnaws at me until I take care of it.

- Keeping my shoes organized. I'm no Imelda Marcos, but my shoes have to always be matched up and either hanging on the wire rack on the back of my door, lined up in order on the floor of my closet, or in their correct boxes and shelved neatly. If they're not, I feel completely miscombobulated.

- Making my bed in the morning. This HAS to be done, usually right after I get out of bed. If not, I feel completely disorganized and out of sorts for the entire day.

- Keeping my bathroom organized and clean. The rest of the house can look like it was ransacked by the Gestapo, but my sink, vanity, and commode have to be clean and neat, otherwise I feel like a shlubby mess.

- Milk. I'm the same way about milk as alcoholics are when it comes to booze. If we run out, I damn near panic. I've gone to the market at 3 in the morning (more times than I'd like to admit) if we run out at night.

A lot of people posted about talking to their pets. This is JMO, but I don't think there's anything strange about that at all. I always talk to our cats throughout the day, asking them questions even though I know I'm not going to get an answer (a glare? Sure, sometimes), but they keep me company when I'm here by myself, and they seem to enjoy it :lol: .
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  34. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'm nearly 28 and I still have a blanket. :shuffle:

I definitely talk to my cat, that isn't so odd, at least not here on FSU.

I prefer to go see movies alone.

I hardly use the toilet without first pulling back the shower curtain to make sure no one is hiding in there.

I can't stand for cabinets to be open and doors have to be all the way open or all the way closed, no in between what-so-ever!

My idea of a perfect weekend is spending it in bed and at home the entire time. I like to sleep more than anything else. If I have a lot of "fun" things to do over the weekend, I feel like I wasted my weekend because I didn't get to sleep as much as I wanted or lounge around as much. Most people are the exact opposite.
  35. SoNaoWat?

SoNaoWat? New Member

Let's see...

I like to air-dry after a shower. I'll use a towel and dry off a little bit, but then I'll flop down on my bed and let the ceiling fan dry me. While doing this, I clean my ears with at least 3 or 4 cotton swabs.

I don't wear open-toe shoes because I think my feet are ugly and I have nail fungus on one foot. (sorry, gross, I know.) I wear socks when around anyone except my immediate family. If I'm hanging around the house barefoot and the doorbell rings, I'll put shoes or socks on before opening it.

I refuse to wear anything that shows my upper arms because they're flappy. I call them my "chicken wangs" and my sisters call them "hello-goodbye arms" because when you're waving hello, your arm-fat is waving goodbye.

I sing to myself in the shower and in the car and daydream about performing for an audience.

I have to hit the automatic lock button on my car at least 2 or 3 times before I can shut the door.

I like to read when I eat at home or at work.

I'd love to go to a Weird Al concert.

I don't know where I rank on the Strange Scale, but I don't think I'm particularly freaky.
  36. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I grow all kinds of peppers and herbs that I hardly use. Would be cheaper to buy some peppers/herbs at the Asian market and dry them than buy the plants. I just like having them outside in the garden.

I always swear I am going to bed at 10 or 10:30 and the next thing I know its 1 am and I need to be at work at 8.

Weekends, I drive 2 1/2 hours to the beach, go to happy hour Friday night, get up at 7 Saturday to get to the beach by 8, run home and fix dinner for a group of 6-8 or go to a dinner party, go to bed late, clean and garden Sunday, drive 2 1/2 hours back, and Sunday night I am exhausted.

I hate having dirty laundry in the basket, but always I have stacks of clean laundry on top of the dryer. I hate ironing.

I love shoe shopping, but I hate wearing shoes.
  37. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I do the same thing when I'm frustrated. I'll yell at appliances, my TV, windows, laundry, etc. If inanimate objects (or plants or insects) don't cooperate with me they get a thorough tongue lashing. I like it because they don't argue with me so I can continue live with my knowledge that I'm always right. ;)

Ditto on all fronts. Even when I'm re-reading a book series I have to do it in order. Like recently I was re-reading the Southern Vampire Mysteries series (the books True Blood is based on) and couldn't re-read the 9th book right away (as a refresher) before buying the new 10th one without reading books 1-8 again first, even though I've read them all multiple times in the past.

I do the same, but kind of weirdly. My pants/shorts/skirts that don't require hangers are kind of thrown together, but with shirts, it's separated by type (sweater vs summery) and colour. And the items in my closet aren't organized by colour but are by type by order of use (most commonly used items are most easily accessable. Jackets are in the hardest to reach place).

Another one of mine is kind of an OCD - I check my purse about 5 times (literally) before leaving the house to make sure I have my wallet, bus pass, phone and keys. I then check a few times to make sure my door is locked.

Another thing if mine is that I require some form of background noise at all time. Even if I'm on the computer I need to have the TV or iTunes on, otherwise I kind of go a bit crazy. I was the same when I was in school and doing assignments or studying - I could never do it if it were too quiet.
  38. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

After Mini Ice was born, I became a very light sleeper and remain one to this day. Now I have this really annoying (to others) white noise machine that I take with me everywhere when I travel. I also have to have a pillow under AND over my head to further drown out noise.

And I have super thick blinds and curtains on my bedroom windows to keep the sunlight out in the morning since it wakes me up too. I am a bat! May be I should live in a sensory deprivation tank. :shuffle:

And one more thing: when I am too lazy to go to my Zumba class, I put on a movie on youtube which lately has been the Russian Sherlock Holmes with Vasily Livanov and dance away in front of the computer for the duration of the movie. I don't even know what to call this workout method.
  39. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

If you're a member of FaceBook, I have the perfect page for you to join:

Yelling At Inanimate Objects

I joined it a while back, and it didn't hit me until after finding that page just how often I yell at things - my computer, mobile phone, the TV, other cars on the road, my toaster oven, the zipper on my pants, and so on..... :rofl:
  40. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the same. Going on a holiday leaves me feeling sleep-deprived.

I have a great deal of trouble getting to sleep and am at my most happiest when I finally get there.

I don't get the concept of 'too much sleep' at all.