Strange Things You Do

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by SHARPIE, May 26, 2010.

1. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

I saw this thread on another forum and was :lol: @ it so Ive picked up strange things that I do and wondered if Im the only certifiable FSUer.

Talk to my pets as in give them a running commentary of my life when Im on my own with them :D. 'Let's go and get dinner now.... Im going on the PC..' etc

Make little bets with myself like 'X' (usually something minor, dont want to risk too much!) if I can get this lift (elevator) door shut without someone coming along and making the door open again.

Eat pickled onions straight from the jar when peckish.

Frantically look round for another magpie when I see one on it's own.

Watch the TV on mute cos I just want to be quiet but see what's on.

Apologise to inanimate objects I may bump into or say, if I stub my toe and it hurts like a mofo then I'll apologise to my toe...

:shuffle:

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I ask the rabbit his opinion on things all day long when I'm home alone, as in "What do you think about putting dinner in the crockpot and not cooking later, Scooter?" --that was this morning. I figure I'm not in trouble until he starts answering me.

3. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

If I sat down and thought about it I'm sure I could come up with plenty of things. :shuffle: One thing offhand is that I read magazines from the back to the front. I open the magazine from the back and read the articles that way.

I watch TV with the closed captioning on. I don't have hearing problems and I keep the volume normal, but I like to read the words onscreen, too.

4. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I do that--I like to use the English subtitles on movies too. Sometimes people mumble, or they have an accent and it's hard to figure out what they are saying.

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I do both of those things. So many people do that magazines put little "endcap" features in the back, rather than a bunch of ads.

I type words with my fingers tapping on my thumb, and I try to find words that involve using one finger each, like "tom said" and "lisa met".

I also love biting seeds between my front teeth. Raspberries, pickles, cucumbers, anything.

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

If more than one of us does something, that makes it normal not weird, right?

I read magazines that way too. I also talk to the dog. I don't eat pickled onions from the jar, but I do eat pickled okra.

I laugh gleefully and tell the poison ivy to *take that* when I'm blasting it with herbicide.

7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I'm guessing talking to the dog is the norm. :dog:

8. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I apologise to the weeds when I have to pull them out of my garden.

I'll eat a whole can of black olives for a treat.

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

If I'm really hungry, I'll go through the pantry and fridge like a tornado and eat all kinds of different stuff together, with weird results. A typical snack might consist of a couple of marshmallows, some potato chips, a handful of raisins, some olives, and a few bites of leftover chicken.

10. liv

liv Well-Known Member

When gardening, or ripping up weeds, I tell them they didn't do their job so they have to go or they have to be moved. I apologize and ask where in the garden they'd like to go and then I answer them back according to what I THINK they must've said.

I can sit in a room by myself and laugh. I just think of funny things I've heard in the movies, or on tv, at work and I just re-live them. All my life people have looked at me funny when I'm giggling to myself, lol, but i"m just keeping myself amused.

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This one is clearly the influence of all the time you've spent in Canada and hanging out with Canadians. :lol:

12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I often do this too.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  13. mon125

mon125 New Member

I do that too!

14. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I talk to my pets too! Yes, I know they in all likelihood can't comprehend my sentences, but they seem more responsive and cooperative if I talk to them like I'm having a conversation with a person.

15. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

If I don't like the ending to a book, film or tv show, I imagine another ending. I used to think this was wierd until I discovered fanfiction, but thankfully I don't go that far :lol:

I always, ALWAYS make sure my cupboard doors are closed before I go to bed. You never know what is going to come out of there while you're sleeping :sekret:

I always have clean floors. Even if rest of the house is a mess, I vacuum and mop the floors. It's obsessive.

16. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

The way I watch figure skating: I'll pop in my tape, get in bed, and usually I'm in a trance, but (wait for it) ... I usually am eating string cheese ... and I peel it without looking at it in a constant rhythm and slap it into my mouth. So imagine a zombie staring at the TV slapping cheese into its mouth. Mm hmm.

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sometimes I read the ending of a book well before I actually finish the book.

I used to take my vacations to coincide with the World Cup, so I would not miss a single match! For a full month I do not get any sleep. :lol:

Most days when I walk out the door I turn around and come back in to double check the kitchen stove. I just have to make sure one more time before I leave that it is off! :slinkaway

18. SHARPIE

Another thing I do is stress when I start a thread that nobody will reply :D

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'm not admitting mine. :D ;)

20. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I do this all day long, as well as sing the commentary in ridiculous cutesy little songs. This one is probably pretty typical. :dog:

As far as slightly off eating habits, I like eating soup cold that's not supposed to be cold, including leftover Wonton and Hot and Sour soup from Chinese takeout. I also like cold Matzoh ball soup. I had cold H&S soup for lunch today. :D

Other than this, I'm totally normal. ;)

:eek: :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

21. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

You mean that's not normal. :lol: I read the beginning of a book, then the end, then flip back to the middle.

22. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I say a little prayer when I drive past roadkill on the road. I find that I have blessed the memory of many odd objects in addition to all the dead road kill. I'm sure I've said prayers for old tires that fell apart in the middle of the road. Tennis shoes as well. :eek:

23. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

I read the end of a book before the middle too. I figure it's logical. My time is precious and I don't get much free time to read. If I'm sort of-mostly interested in a book, I want to make sure I'll like the way it ends (i.e. the time invested in the book is worthwhile). Nothing more aggravating than a lousy ending and all that time invested in a book.

This drives my other half crazy

24. mila19

mila19 New Member

I like to eat bull's eyes eggs in pieces that contain a bit of both parts, red and white.
    I cover my ears while sleeping.
    Finding facial hair is usually relaxing time for me.
    The best ideas I've ever had came while I was brushing my teeth.
    I always tilt my head so to pose in a 3/4 profile ;)
    I sleep in satin pillowcases and I always, always carry earplugs wherever I go.

25. SHARPIE

I am so with you jen_faith!

jen_faith and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I mix two kinds of breakfast cereals in the bowl.
    When we had kitties, we would both sing nonsense tunes to them.
    I absolutely HAVE to read something whilst eating breakfast.

27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I never put milk on my cereal. This drives my husband and my nephew crazy. They discuss it as if it is some sort of addiction or mental illness that must be addressed. It was the first thing the two of them bonded over after they met.

28. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'll pick up worms out after rainstorms and put them back on the grass/dirt. I've also had loose dirt piles that I've put worms in that I've dug up while gardening.

I will step over ants or bugs outside - it's their world, I'm just passing through it.

Add me to the group talking to their pets, sometimes they're the only ones who understand why I'm cranky. :lol: Or they're just looking for food and need to be near me? :shuffle:

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I was pulling weeds in our vegetable garden this afternoon (my very first garden, so I'm rather protective of it :lol: ). When I was yanking/digging one particularly stubborn one out, I caught myself taunting the remaining weeds in the ground :eek: by telling them, "You see what's happening to your little friend here? *This* is what's going to happen to you and all the rest of your little buddies if you don't take your damn roots and get the F out of here!"

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure they're going to ignore me and continue to try and set up house in between my beloved tomatoes, cukes, etc.

30. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I have to sleep with my wrists either covered or palm down on the blankets. It's a holdover from when I was a small child and was afraid that robbers would sneak in and slit my wrists.