Stillborn baby brought back to life with ice

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Amazing!

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Wow. I hope she is okay in the long run.

But the headline is pretty bizarre -- big difference between chilling her down for three days -- amazing enough -- you don't have to say she was FROZEN for three days.

4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Whooooaaa…that is truly incredible. I'm not one to believe in miracles, but that is absolutely amazing.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wow!

6. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The headline makes it seem as if she were revived after 3 days == but it was 25 minutes after the stillbirth. Still a pretty amazing story. I recall reading about winter drowning victims who survived underwater for incredibly long periods of time because the cold temperature slowed down most body functioning, but preserved the flow of blood to the brain.

7. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

There is a big push to medical hypothermia to be done for heart attack victims as well; it slows down the damage to the heart, and can arrest brain/neurological damage. Our "little hospital that could" finally has put together our own hypothermia protocol, and have used it on 4 patients so far with varying results (there is a wide variety of effectiveness, based on patient age, co-morbidities, etc). But the one I've done so far walked out of the hospital, completely neurologically intact and with a new pacemaker, less than a week later. It's absolutely phenomenal!

8. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I need to go back to school, I thought once a brain cell died it was gone. This sounds like the damage was done and then they dropped her temp to let the brain heal. Amazing.

9. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I remember reading a long time ago that this works best the younger the patient. For some reason their bodies respond better. That's why kids who fall into frozen rivers ice skating or sledding have a better chance of being revived.