Steve Jobs has resigned as chief exec. of Apple

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by TAHbKA, Aug 25, 2011.

1. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I read this earlier today. I had not known that he had survived pancreatic cancer. Obviously it's a serious medical condition, and it's good that he is taking care of his health. He is one of the most respected people, along with Bill Gates, in modern technology.

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It's amazing that he survived pancreatic cancer at all, that usually gets you quickly, though the liver transplant in 2009 seems to point that he didn't emerge unscathed. :( There are reports that the publication of his official biography has been moved up, which is also...unsettling.

Screw the stockbrokers bewailing about Apple's falling stock prices, this is a human being we're talking about. I wish him well. It's obvious he would still like to do more if not for his health. :(

4. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Poor guy.

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

OMG, this is bad. Really bad. I hope this is not Charles Schulz all over again

6. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

7. genegri

genegri Active Member

This guy is a genius. I rarely admire anyone but I admire him. His products are always conceptually ground breaking. I hope he has many more ideas yet to offer to the world.

I hope he recovers.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This does not sound good. He always said he would remain CEO for as long as he could do his job. If he is quitting then something has happened and with his health, I think we all know what that means. Hoping for the best...

9. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I would really dispute that Bill Gates is respected in the field of technology. His products may be ubiquitous, but Microsoft has always been a follower, not a leader, and their products are continuously fraught with problems. Microsoft has market share, but it was gained in part through predatory and unfair business tactics, and because of that they really don't have respect.

Any esteem that Gates has earned is due largely to his fairly recent activities through his foundation. He has become a generous philanthropist, but please don't mention him in the same breath as Steve Jobs, who is everything that Bill Gates could never be - a visionary, a pioneer, a standard setter.

I hope I'm reading too much into the situation and that Jobs will be with us for many more years. And whatever happens, I hope he will be at peace with it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

When I saw this on the news that was the first thing I thought of. :(

12. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I like how Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal sums up the importance of the Steve Jobs announcement.

The lead WSJ article also has the following quote.

While the retirement is not unexpected, the mood here in Silicon Valley is still one of shock and sadness. I can't understate how much of an inspiration Steve Jobs is to people here. He embodies the spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation that draws people here to the Valley in a true meeting of minds. They hope that, like Steve, they too will conceive great new ideas that will change the world.

While many people here hope that Steve will continue to be around for many more years, it's worth looking at his 2005 Stanford commencement address for some words to live by.

Bravo, Steve.

13. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I was going to post this, you beat me to it :D. This was shown to me in my college speech class and is one of my favorite speeches. Here's the youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc It's so inspiring, I especially like the part where he talks about quitting college, and if he had not he would not have taken the class that help him create fonts.

I know this probably means his health has taken a turn for the worse, here's hoping he makes it through.

14. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I was sad to hear this as well. :(

15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

There is no need to tear down one man to build up another, both are unmatched pioneers in the field of computer/software technology and neither one would be where they are without the other.

16. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I was very sad to hear this as well, knowing what it means. I hope Steve is able to live out the rest of his days happy and at peace. He is truly an extraordinary person that has done extraordinary things.

17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I also had the thought--pancreatic cancer is almost never cured, because it's one of the hardest to detect. Normally by the time they realize that's what you have, you're stage IV+. I hope he has much, much time left and simply wants to make the most of it. I can't imagine running Apple is easy if you're healthy.

18. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

From my layperson's understanding there are at least two types of pancreatic cancer, the most common of which is almost always fatal. There is a rare kind that has a much better prognosis in general, and that's what Steve had/has.

That said, when I read his letter, it gave me goosebumps. I got an email message like that 5 years ago this month from a colleague who was a mentor and a second father to me. The email reported that he had stage IV brain cancer and he needed to end all his work immediately. :( He died two months later.

It sounds like Steve is hanging in there enough to want to contribute as chairman of the board.

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I hope he can beat this illness. He is one of the smartest people alive. I wish him all the best.

20. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I call this End of an Era.

22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

23. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

TMZ and the pap in general don't need to go there.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He had the key insight to invest in software, not hardware, which was the paradigm at the time. Microsoft also bailed out Apple when Apple was on the brink of sinking by making a major investment in the company. Not exactly altruism, since the small Apple market for Microsoft Office for Mac was small, but every little bit helped since Microsoft was portrayed as the big, bad monopoly.

So you can thank billg for taking the company that made the iPhone and iPad off of life support.

26. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

It's possible to recognize Gates for what he has contributed to the world yet disagree that he's a visionary along the lines of Jobs. I don't think that's his place in history, myself. He has a different place, one that Jobs doesn't have. They are very different people with a very different contribution to technology.

27. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Sad to see the photo, but it's not surprising. I saw video of him looking extremely frail a few months ago, even. Wish him the best.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I specifically quoted and disputed this: "I would really dispute that Bill Gates is respected in the field of technology."

The field of technology requires more than technological creativity, and it's not like Apple has ever been bleeding edge. Apple didn't invent the GUI technology any more than Gates invented DOS. Jobs took the GUI concepts from Xerox.

29. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Well, I don't find a lot of people in high tech who respect Bill Gates except as a business man while they do respect Jobs for having vision. Steve has been able to take lab concepts and turn them into real products that people will buy instead of ivory tower concepts that would never have seen the light of day otherwise. That requires vision. You have to know which ideas have legs and you have to be able to translate that into a viable product. Not everyone can do that. In fact, most people can't do that.

I also don't understand why Gate's name was even brought up in a thread about Steve Jobs. It's like when people feel compelled to bring up Tara Lipinski in threads about Kwan and vice versa. I find it completely disrespectful to Job's legacy and his current situation.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Creative, brilliant man with a lot of chutzpah, moxie...whatever you want to call it. He will be missed.