Status of US Pairs This Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by olympic, May 12, 2011.

1. madm

madm Active Member

I saw Drew Meekins in the stands today at Intercollegiate Nationals in Colorado Springs, and he says his shoulder surgery is healing well and he can now lift his arms fully above his head. He is back on the ice training his jumps, but it may be a while before he tries to lift anyone. He says it would be great to get back to doing pairs with a shoulder that works properly! We can only hope ...

2. icelover

icelover New Member

Well, wherever they do train, here's hoping they have a good season! I thought Anna was from Northern CA.

3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

She is. I got to watch her skating for a number of years and she was always a favorite.

4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I was on the ice today with Taylor Toth and Kiri Baga. They were working on several pairs moves. They looked great!

5. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Yeah that's probably the last place they'd train. I think they're either going to be in NJ with him or in Southern California with Todd and Jeni

6. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth the real Lizziebeth

Great news - looking forward to seeing what they can do.

7. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Nick Anderson had broken his foot off-ice in the off season of 2009 following their Novice National Championship win -- and wasn't even jumping in August 2009 when they took their junior pairs test (he landed the SBS jump in the test, hail-mary style). They gave it a shot at Mids 2009, but came in 5th. It didn't look certain his foot was going to make a full recovery.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Despite his injury, I'm glad Cassie Andrews/Nick Anderson were able to experience their one and only JGP together in the fall of 2009 (they finished 13th in Dresden, Germany).

News I am happy to see -- the return of a National Pairs Camp! It's scheduled for June 9-10, 2012 at the Canlan Ice Sports facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana (registration deadline is May 15): http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=516

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Nice that they're having a pairs camp, but wow, that sure isn't much notice. (And are most schools out by June 9/10? They are in our area, but I know they run later in quite a few other states.)

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YES!! I am bummed that I'll be out of town that weekend (and no, I can't afford to change things, having spent $1800 on plane tickets :eek:), because I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that camp. . . surely they'll need volunteer assistance???:D

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

U.S. Figure Skating must be excited by the new pairings and overall promising potential of many of the U.S. pairs teams. The mock humorous book title suggestion from Trash Can thread may not be too far off the mark ...

Well, we can dream a little.

12. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Unofficial, old news, but saw that it hadn't really been brought up yet: Poapst/ Knierim are no longer together.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Andrea Poapst/Chris Knierim weren't included in the International Selection Pool list that was published on the USFS site yesterday (refer to this thread), so their split is "official" even though they are still listed in the 2011-12 Team C envelope online.

14. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ Oh okay. Well I've heard about possibly Scimeca/ Knierim ! Could be a good partnering. She has Caydee Denney potential imo.

15. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I really liked Poapst/Knierim, sad to see them split. I have no idea of Andrea's plans but the thought crossed my mind that she'd make a lovely partner for Mark Ladwig.

16. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Do we know what this means for Andrea Poapst's future? Is she still searching for a partner (listed on ice partner search, etc.)? Back to Canada for pairs or singles? Done skating? Or undecided? Injured?

I really enjoy her presence on the ice...

17. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

To me, the return of National Pairs Camp is more like, "Hey, pairs still exists in this country, we swear!" :lol:

I mean, all these splits and other disappearances every year are usually understandable, but it's still comical to see 6 Sr pairs left from Nationals. The only thing left to do is try to encourage development of more pairs at all levels, but it really is a complicated/unstable/crazy discipline isn't it.

18. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I can say with 100% certainty that Mark Ladwig and Lindsay Davis have officially paired up. Tryout was last week and now they are skating together. Look for an official announcement soon.

19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

She is so tiny, they might look very nice together and if I remember she lands her jumps nicely! :D Hopefully we will hear soon.

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Really? I always thought of Themi as the stronger jumper of the pair. Then again, I do remember them going for SBS 3loops and being marginally successful.

If they announce they are a pair, will they be eligible for competitions this coming season???

21. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

I had the same thought - and I wouldn't really say she's "tiny", just short. Still, this pairing was a logical choice for them both.

22. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Is Lindsay shorter than Amanda?

23. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't remember her falling a lot :confused:

I though she was around 5 feet, I should have said short not tiny, to me that's tiny. :D

24. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

25. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

She is a good jumper. She is about the same height as Amanda, but weighs (in my estimation at least seven pounds more). I am thinking they will do sbs sals because Mark can land one. Remember for a few seasons E/L tried it without much success on Amanda's part? They intend to and are eligible to compete this year. It's the plan....I like them both, so best of luck to them. I think one of the most determining factors is that she was willing to relocate to Florida, has a previous relationship with Peterson and co, and is close enough to Amanda's size. Obviously, Mark wasn't going to uproot his family and relocate. It has to be a tough adjustment for Mark to skate with someone new after ten years.

26. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Yes, they are about the same height, both under 5', but Amanda is a "slighter", different body build. I'm sure Mark will adjust quickly- he's a real "pro". It will be interesting to see what they do with the jumps and how consistent they really are now as I've observed some recent inconsistency with Lindsay. I'm sure Lyndon will get them in great shape! It's a great opportunity for both of them-

27. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

IIRC, Lindsay is 4'10".

28. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

OMG!
    I've been waiting for an announcement of a new partner for Mark L.!!
    I'm very excited for them! Can't wait to see them.

29. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I believe that is correct. But she is certainly not as 'slight' as Amanda so it make take a bit of time to adjust. I admire the Florida (and Colorado, obviously) programs of training and I hope they are successful. Pairs should be very interesting this year with all these new partnerships. I am excited to see the new teams of O'shea/Kayne and Regan/Yanakowskas plus the improvement of Zhang/Bartholomey and Donlan/Speroff.

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

So surviving the season we currently have:
    Denney/Coughlin
    Marley/Brubaker
    Donlan Speroff
    Castelli/Shnapir
    Zhang/Bartholomay
    Vise/Baldwin

And confirmed new partnerships:
    Yankowskas/Reagan
    Davis/Ladwig

and unconfirmed possibilities. Who did I leave out (I don't even know who's moving from Jr. to Sr.)