Status of US Ice-Dancing off season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 12, 2011.

1. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Too bad they split up. I liked them. They had the beautiful lines that most American teams lack.

I feel kinda bad for Emily. She sat out a whole year only to end up splitting with her partner. :(

Man, this offseason is getting ridiculous. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

At least having already sat out a year of competition will make it easier for her to represent a different country, if that's what she decides to do - right?

I do feel bad for Emily, and am disappointed S/B have split. Their lines were gorgeous and I enjoyed watching them skate.

With all these splits and retirements, GP fields next season are going to be awfully thin...

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Very very disappointed about this. I loved their technical brilliance. :(
    I hope they come back to each other. Sometimes a split makes you appreciate your partner again. :(

5. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

So... things are starting to look even better for Kriegenkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt. (Please don't say they are splitting too.)

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

They aren't!

And yes, things are looking super for them. Very exciting.

7. Zemgirl

I can't help but think that while training with Marina and Igor has its advantages, there are also benefits to not being in Canton. Especially for the lower-ranked teams there, it must get pretty demoralizing at times - not to mention the pressure on young teams to succeed almost immediately at the senior level. It's not for everyone, and good for Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt for doing things their way. I'm looking forward to seeing them in more international competitions next season.

8. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

The Shibs stellar performance and ranking at Worlds must have blown everyone's minds and made them start to rethink everything.

Love Kriengkrairut and Giulietto-Schmitt's programs last year and wish things had gone better for them. I too, am looking forward to what they bring in the coming season.

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt USFS would release either Evan or Emily to skate for another country.

10. Zemgirl

I do wonder what would have happened if Fabian Bourzat had stayed upright and the Shibs had finished off the podium.

I know... but one can hope, right? I mean, if either can't find an American partner, it would be a shame for them to be unable to compete anymore.

Is there no way for skaters around the federation not giving permission? It seems horribly unfair, especially in a sport in which they can't compete unless they are representing a member federation. Maybe some day someone will go to CAS over this? It'll ruin that person's career, though, so I guess probably not.

11. taz'smum

taz'smum Active Member

I believe that after 2 seasons have elapsed, the skaters can appeal directly to the ISU and they have to be released. I'm not sure of the details but it is something like that.

12. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

IIRC, having citizenship in the country to which you're switching gets you around being released.

13. Zemgirl

That's what I thought, but then the ISU regulations confused me. If that's the case, both Evan and Emily are halfway there, if they wish to skate for another country.
    This I actually knew, from the Dube-Davison split...

I'm curious to see if any of the currently partner-less US dancers will team up with anyone in time to compete - at least at the national level.

14. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think they'd be nuts to even think about a partner with whom they could not go to the 2014 Olympics. For Samuelson & Bates, skating at Nationals and GP events is not enough of a goal, and even another top 10 at Worlds would be a bit anti-climactic. Unless they already hold dual citizenship somewhere, they need to either find a US partner or retire.

Either way, I honestly don't see either of them improving their competitive position by moving to another partner.

When I first heard the rumblings, I had guessed maybe Evan was done with skating after a year of living with nonskaters and doing college full time. I was surprised to read he was looking for a new partner. I guess he'll pretty much have his pick of Madisons.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

FYI, a separate Samuelson/Bates split discussion thread was created in GSD earlier today (with the Detroit Free Press article link, originally posted here, as the source): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79258

Just a reminder that this competition takes place this weekend and that there is an event discussion thread in the Kiss and Cry forum (open to all until July 1st when the Season Pass subscription usually kicks in): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79157

16. Sylvia

Current Known Status of Teams from 2011 US Nationals:

* = currently listed on icepartnersearch.com

1 Meryl Davis/Charlie White (W1)
    2 Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (W3)
    3 Madison Chock/Greg Zuerlein (W9) - split; he has retired
    4 Madison Hubbell/Keiffer Hubbell - split
    5 Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
    6 Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello
    7 Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan
    8 Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker* - split
    9 Meredith Zuber/Kyle Herring
    10 Ginna Hoptman/Pavel Filchenkov
    11 *Alissandra Aronow/Zachary Donohue - split
    12 Kristen Nardozzi/Robert Cuthbertson
    13 Katharine Zeigler/Baxter Burbank - split
    14 *Alison Carey/Ryan Van Natten* - split
    15 Katherine Pilgrim/Alexander Lorello
    Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates - split

Moving up to Senior/registered for Lake Placid IDC:
    J1 Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely (JW3)
    J3 Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (JW7)
    J4 Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan
    J11 Carina Glastris/Kevin Allison
    N6 Brittany Schmucker/Adam Munday
    Janine Halstead/Robert Knopf

New partnership in Senior:
    Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue

Reportedly looking for a partner and not listed on IPS.com:
    Evan Bates, Madison Chock, Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson

Listed on IPS.com:
    Collin Brubaker, Ryan Van Natten
    Alissandra Aronow, Piper Gilles, Alison Carey

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  17. another sk8rmom

another sk8rmom Active Member

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

WTF is going on in US ice dancing? We went from having perhaps the most depth in the world to just two quality teams now. This is suppose to happen in Pairs not ice dancing.

19. Sylvia

Thanks, another_sk8rmom. I've edited in your info.

I think we have more than just "two quality teams" left...

20. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I wonder what TAT would have to say about all of this off season drama?

21. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Good luck to both of them in whatever they decide to do next. They both seem like really great people. I've been to PSCHS's Challenge Cup the past few years where they've skated and I've overheard parents talking about how great they are with the younger skaters who seem to really look up to them. They had lots of kids cheering for them which was cute.

22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh man. Now there'll be no good names left in skating. Baxter Burbank should become a private eye, or an actor, or a spy. Or something that demands an awesome name like Baxter Burbank.

23. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

With all the breakups of US teams, how does it look for US in the GP season? Still two openings for SA, but who will fill those? Will C/B be given an assignment? W/M? H/D (new team, but both have have had international success w/other partner)?

24. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

The open spots in SA, as well as spots in Senior B's and JGPs, will be given after the Lake Placid dance comp, which is the monitoring comp for ice dance. In the past, there has been 1 spot at SA left open and then given to the highest-placing Senior team at LP not already assigned to 2 GPs. Last year, Lynn/Logan got it. W/M and H/D could get one/both, depending on how they skate, and Lynn/Logan would also be eligible b/c they only have 1 GP assignment at the moment. W/M and H/D would have to go to a Senior B (Nebelhorn?) first, though, to earn the qualifying score as they have no int'l scores from the past 2 seasons. Scores with previous partners don't count.

With 2 open spots this year, things could be done differently. I suppose USFS could keep one spot open and assign it later (so if C/B don't compete in LP, they could compete/exhibit at a local comp and be monitored there...but would also need to go to a Senior B first).

25. Sylvia

Link to what I posted about the dance possibilities in the "TBA Spots at Skate America" thread in GSD (before Chock/Bates officially were announced as a new team): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3222285#post3222285
    (pretty muching echoing what Debbie S posted above :))

Link to ice-dance.com's "2011 Off-Season Report" dated 6/28 that summarizes the major dance splits (not just the US teams): http://www.ice-dance.com/news-a-articles-articles/1062-the-2011-off-season-report

Link to blogs by Isabella Cannuscio and Colin McManus: http://www.ice-dance.com/bella-a-colin-blog
    :lol:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  26. Sylvia

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  27. Sylvia

28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia for the link. So cool to see Charlie especially since it seems like only yesterday he was a young one and now he's the mature World Champ!

29. rhumba

rhumba New Member

sorry, wrong thread.

30. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011