Status of US Ice-Dancing off season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 12, 2011.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

2. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

That would be Madison Hubbell, I think.
  3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

4. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

6. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Who is the curly-haired redhead in the pyramid picture?
  8. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

William Brewster

ty

:shuffle:
  9. dlynndao

dlynndao New Member

Not sure if the Samuelson/Bates Chock/Zuerlein thread has been shifted elsewhere, but Evan and Madison did a Skype interview on Universal Sports about 2 weeks ago re: what happened and how they're doing now:

http://www.universalsports.com/vide...190ef.html#skype chock bates talk partnership

Very rough recap:

It was a long and tough recovery (9 months) for Evan, and when he finally did get back on the ice, it was a frustrating process for him and Emily, and for one reason or another it just wasn't working out.

Madison knew Greg wasn't enjoying skating as much as he had been -- they'd talked about it before -- and so after Worlds when he announced he wanted to retire, it didn't come as a shock. They're still friends, still keep in touch. She didn't know what she would do afterwards, had some tryouts, was going to take it slow, but then Evan was also looking for a partner.

They had a tryout, and are now looking for music! They want to be ready to compete in the fall if possible.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  10. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ I don't know which one of these stories is worse...Samuleson/Bates/Chock or Yankowskas/Coughlin/Denney. I will say John is being villified worse than Evan, why is that?
  11. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Because no one pays attention to ice dance. :lol:
  12. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

13. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

14. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

15. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

No it doesn't. That's Sarah Arnold, at least according to the caption.
  16. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Sorry...I meant in reference to the pyramid group picture, that there was a Gilles there, but not Piper...
  17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Zach Donohue consistently cracks me up in the pictures he poses for. It's very cologne-model chic, like he trying VERY HARD to look effortlessly sexy.
  18. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Thanks, I just reposted what you wrote in the Chock/Bates thread in GSD -- link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3241636#post3241636

ice-dance.com's Lake Placid IDC event site link is posted in the LPIDC thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79078
  19. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I think that team looks very hot:smokin: together. I can't wait to see how they do in Lake Placid!
  20. Athena

Athena New Member

Does anyone konw if Emily has found a partner yet?
  21. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I didn't know who he was, but your description made it easy to pick him out in a line-up. He and Andrew Poje look remarkably similar.
  22. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Well, I think that could be a GOOD thing!! :smokin:
  23. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Same! I'd always been a fan of Madison, and Zach caught my eye while he was skating with Piper- When I saw the picture of them on icenetwork, it looked totally natural; they just look like they belong skating together. A very good looking team, and I can't wait for Lake Placid footage! (hopefully lol)

I was a bigger fan of the Hubbells than I ever was of the Shibutanis (who I do actually like), so I can't wait to see how this new partnership works!
  24. Sylvia

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  25. sk8ers

sk8ers New Member

Still laughing---I keep thinking Old Spice and a desert island commercial :rofl:
  26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Agreed. Check out icenetwork's front page and you'll see another demonstration of just how much they resemble each other.
  27. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

WOW!! Scary, but awesome!! And from some of the comments coming in, they are looking good at Lake Placid. :smokin:

Hope we get to see some video!!
  28. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)They look great together ..best of luck to them.

And yoo-hoo , Pasquale, Massimo , Anjelika..and maybe Shae.. how about a character show piece featuring those 2 tall dark men and 2 smashing blondes...sort of a comedy of mistaken identity a la Midsummer's Night Dream..They'd all look good in the costumes from the era of Frederick Ashton's "The Dream ' ( or costumes of any era ,for that matter )...I'll be waiting...:D
  29. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Are Chock/Bates competing anywhere this summer/fall? I thought it was strange that they didn't show up at Lake Placid or Skate Detroit, even if that meant showing up with very rough programs. I'm assuming we won't see them on the GP.
  30. Sylvia

Chock/Bates are scheduled to debut their programs on the Onyx Challenge in Rochester, Michigan next week. Their free dance is set to a jazzy version of "Chopin's Prelude in e minor," according to the recent Icenetwork article on the Canton dance teams. Bates also mentioned in the article that they are hoping for a Senior B assignment and to be considered for the TBA spot at Skate America.
  31. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

I believe Chock/Bates are first in line for the newly opened spot at Skate Canada. Because she finished top 12 at Worlds last season, I don't think they need a minimum qualifying score together. They would automatically qualify under the new GP rules (although there are some contradictions within the rules, so I'm not 100% on that).
  32. reese

reese Well-Known Member

What newly opened spot at Skate Canada?
  33. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

M/N of CZE are out, so the spot is now open :)
  34. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Has Samuelson found a partner yet? I really liked her.
  35. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Not yet, AFAIK. :(
  36. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I saw that Yang/Baker didn't skate at Lake Placid b/c of injury. Does anyone know if they are healthy again?
  37. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Oddly, the rules are straightforward for Chock/Bates for Skate Canada, since Chock was top 12 last season, which covers all of the contradictions in timing (last season, last two seasons, no timeframe), and split couples don't need a minimum score as replacement skaters.

The contradictions come in if they were given a TBD spot at Skate America, because the initial selections need a minimum score or top 75 placement last year, and the TBD spots held by a host may count as initial selections, but a replacement does not. If C/B were given a replacement spot at SA, then USFS would have to relinquish the TBD, since they can't have four teams from the US.
  38. Conga

Conga New Member

So does this mean that C/B could end up with SA and SC?
  39. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I have heard that Emily Samuelson will have a few try-outs this month. With whom, I have no idea, but I would love to know if anyone has heard/seen anything.

Does anyone know if she stayed with her current coaches Igor/Marina or has she changed coaches?
  40. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The way the GP announcement was written literally, comeback skaters (not using their one-time comeback guarantee of two) and split teams are first on the list, but only top 24 SB and WS with one get a second before any more spots are assigned. (They're already guaranteed one, and many already have a second in the initial selections.) C/B are probably first on the alternates list, unless there is a comeback surprise, but after they are assigned to SC to replace Mysliveckova/Novak, the next assignments go to the 11 top 24 SB and WS with one assignment.

The way that USFS could get C/B two, assuming they get SC, is to either assign them to SA as a provisional TBD, like Hubbell/Donahue, using a Fall senior B to get a minimum score, or to use them as an alternate for one of the assigned USA spots, for which they don't need a minimum score.