Status of US Ice-Dancing off season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 12, 2011.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Has Greg graduated from Schoolcraft College yet?

2. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

I hope it's only a rumor. :( They were excelent this past season.
    (with the only FD that had some originality in the Z/S camp, IMO)

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Maybe they aren't breaking up, but moving to another training location? They might find it too crowded with the Shibs and Samuelson and Bates at the same camp?

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

If it means the Staginunas can get away from Tobias I am all :cheer: It was really embarrassing to see him skate at this low level when he is one of the best ice-dancers in the world.

5. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I am curious as to what the Chock/Zuerlein split means for Hubbell/Donahue?

Has anyone seen H/D and can give an update on their progress? Thanks.:D

6. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm so behind-when did T/B split?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Collin Brubaker listed himself on icepartnersearch.com about a week ago.

ETA: I've heard that Todd Gilles is no longer skating with Trina Pratt in Colorado Springs. So he may be available?

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Considering the number of times Todd Gilles has changed partners, wouldn't it be quite a risk for any girl to skate with him?

And would she have to move to CO, which hasn't got nearly as many good coaching choices for dancers as MI?

I haven't seen Stagniunas on ice partner search. Is he even available?

OTOH, he would be great for any US or CAN girl who doesn't think they have a chance of getting to Worlds or Olympics from their home country. I love his style.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Huh? Todd Gilles skated with Trina Pratt for 6 seasons (in Colorado Springs) and Jane Summersett for 3 (at Detroit SC their last year together). I don't know if he's actively looking for a partner right now, but he considered making a comeback with Pratt earlier this year until recently, is what I've heard. I've always liked his style on the ice.

Deividas Stagniunas is still partnered with Isabella Tobias, AFAIK.

10. letsskate

letsskate New Member

What i'm really hoping for is that K/G-S can get the 3rd spot to Worlds next year, long shot, but fingers crossed!

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. reese

reese Well-Known Member

:respec:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

That'd be wonderful.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

14. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

He skates with Isabella Tobias, but she's far below his level. He's 26 and it would be a pity if he wasted his career waiting and hoping for Tobias to improve. JMHO.

15. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I agree. He really look embarrased in the KnC this season. (At least that was my interpretation).
    I wonder if he is getting paid to skate with her and it is more a job for him. (Nothing bad in there, people have to live.) Otherwise I have no idea why he would skate with someone that far below his level. :confused: It will take years and years for her to catch up -if ever.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The Chesapeake Open club competition in Laurel, Maryland will have Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice and Junior dance events June 24-25, 2011.

Here are the entries for the Junior Free Dance:
    Amanda Bertsch & Sam Kaplun (Ann Arbor FSC & All Year FSC)
    Sarah Coward & Avidan Brown (Great Britain) - new
    Cassandra Jeandell & Damian Dodge N10 (Univ. of Del. FSC & Peninsula FSC)
    Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter J9 (Peninsula FSC & Washington FSC)
    Rachel Parsons & Michael Parsons N1 (Washington FSC)
    Danvi Pham & Vu Pham (Washington FSC) - qualified for but WD from 2011 Nationals in Jr.
    Elliana Pogrebinsky & Ross Gudis N4 (Washington FSC & Peninsula FSC)
    Ramona Wright & Nicholas Taylor (St. Moritz FSC & SC of Wilmington) - new

2 Novice teams from 2011 Nationals, Morgan Grant & Luke Skala N7 and Holly Moore & Daniel Klaber N8, are listed for the Chesapeake Novice Dance events. Whitney Miller & Kyle MacMillan are a new Novice team (Miller was 2nd in Intermediate Dance last season with her previous partner, while MacMillan won the 2009 Juvenile and 2010 Intermediate Dance titles with his previous partner, Rachel Parsons.).

Juvenile-Junior dance roster as of 5/28 can be viewed at: http://www.baltimorefigureskatingclub.com/images/pdf/2011IJSCompetitorList.pdf

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  17. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^Thanks (as always) Sylvia for posting this. :)

18. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Where are Kyle MacMillan and Whitney Miller training?

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I believe in Wheaton, Maryland with coaches Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak and Dmytri Ilin (McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, and Pogrebinsky/Gudis are their Junior teams).

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

And who are the Phams training with?

21. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, they are working with Greg Maddalone and Genrikh and Julia Sretenski at The Gardens in Laurel, MD, along with Grant/Skala. And I believe they also work a little with Robbie Kaine.

22. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Madison has a partner. I saw them practicing at DSC. I wish I could remember who it was. They looked great!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Are you talking about Madison Chock or Madison Hubbell? I believe earlier in this thread it was stated that Madison Hubbell is skating with Zach Donohue, at the DSC w/Camerlengo and Krylova. But thanks for the news that they are looking great. Did you happen to know what music they are using this year?

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Or as one of the two Eurosport commentators said during V/M's CD, it's all about deep edges, and there are only 16 steps to glide down the rink. It could be the camerawork, but V/M look like they are getting excellent glide. These are things at which the Shibutanis excel.

Even Denkova/Staviyski's and Dubreuil/Lauzon's hips aren't really close together, and the couples never look at one another. I suspect Maia Shibutani will wear more clothes than Jana Khoklova. The couple with the closest feet and hips is Delobel/Schoenfelder; they give the dance a suggestive lilt, and Moiseva/Minenkov's feet (from 1981) are right on top of each other.

I think people are thinking of Torvill/Dean's OD when they think Rhumba :smokin::
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYCcmA2Y0

ETA:

Denkova/Stavisky teamed up after the 1996 season, and she was very far behind him when they teamed up. Five years later, they were 8th at Euros, 10th at Worlds, and a year later, they were 7th at the Olympics and 5th at Worlds. Skating for Bulgaria or Lithuania means getting to go to all of the championships and lots of experience. It may seem laughable to compare Tobias to Denkova, but that could be in hindsight, since there wasn't much of the 2001 Denkova in 1996.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  25. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Is Isabella Tobias really that bad?

26. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I don't live very far from Laurel. Is the event open to the public?

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. And it's free. :) However, the IJS events are held in the Oly-sized rink, which does not have spectator seating. You're welcome to come, but you will need to stand....unless you can grab a seat at the counter in the snack bar area in front of the window that looks out to the rink, but you won't be able to hear the music.

We would like to use the NHL rink (which has bleachers) for the IJS events, but that rink gets put down for the summer. The back rink, that we use for 6.0 events, does have some bleacher seating, but the setup along the back of the rink does not lend itself to IJS (i.e. not enough room for 2 long tables, plus the computer system).

The comp schedule should be up on the club website soon.

28. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

I'm glad MacMillan found a new partner and I remember Miller (and Lorello) having a ton of personality. I'm not about to get excited about a novice dance team, but based on results with past partners this could be a pretty strong novice team this year.

29. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

OrioleBeagle, if this would be your first local skating competition, you should know that the rink will probably be quite cold. When I attend summer comps, I dress in layers and usually don't remove any of them unless there are a lot of spectators. Liberty, for example, gets crowded enough toward the end of the week that it warms up quite a bit. Still not like attending Nationals, though.

30. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Dean Copely just tweeted that he and Charlotte Lichtman passed their gold dance tests. It's going to be interesting to see where they fit in next year. I loved their Beetlejuice FD.