Status of US Ice-Dancing off season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 12, 2011.

1. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Not only that -- the entire dance is in Killian hold. There isn't any face to face interaction. It's about as unromantic a dance as you can get.

2. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

And there is nothing romantic about dancing to the Mexican Hat Dance, which is what D&W were doing.

3. Conga

Conga New Member

Oh dear..and I was so not looking forward to this rhythm already:eek:

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Did skaters select their own music for compulsory dance?

5. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Nope, the track you got was based on your start order.

6. casken

casken Well-Known Member

That user has the top 6 plus V&M and D&W's Rhumba's from that Worlds uploaded if anyone wants to look, including DelSchoes who I couldn't find up until now. :swoon:

7. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

But But But.......

Now they get to choose their own music. I'm hoping several teams go back to the best rumba inspiration - Torvill and Dean's 1994 OD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYCcmA2Y0

They also used the same music for a 1982 exhibition program

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavEn2-vV34

I know the tempo will need to adjusted, but the mood can have much more feeling than the old CD. I have always wanted someone to use "Begin the Beguine". Here's a version with a rumba rhythm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-A2QKSziaE&feature=related

Add that one to a version by Artie Shaw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6y7Qs2A-o&feature=related and Jo Stafford http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BS4TrfFOI&feature=related and I think someone would have a dynamite short dance.

As an aside, one of the best dance numbers ever done on film is Fred Astaire and Elanor Powell doing Begin the Beguine in Broadway Melody of 1940. Here's the long version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwDEp-XFGw&feature=related Some great choreography to adapt for the ice.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking more about the other 2+ minutes of the SD to a Latin rhythm. Somewhere on youtube there is a video of a Candian broadcaster (maybe Tracy W) explaining the rhumba CD and, yes, she also says it really has no relationship to the ballroom dance. I do think, though, that the judges will expect a very Latin feel to the rest of the dance.

I don't honestly think of any of the Latin rhythms as romantic, but mostly as seductive or sexy (except the Paso, which is more about strength). That's where the adult brother-minor sister squick factor comes in. With a tango, they could have played it as a joke, with rhumba-samba-cha cha-whatever I guess they will just need to stay very ballroom.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. So it wasn't D/W's fault they were doing the mexican hat dance.

10. DORISPULASKI

No. :rofl:
    I was just making the point that if the ISU thought the Mexican Hat Dance was ice dance rhumba appropriate, then anything fun would work.

And a number of the Latin dances can be done in a party-hearty style rather than either a romantic or seductive style. For example, Tanith's Latin combo/salsa in 2006 to Let's Get Loud.

Or the solo merengue by the FBI agent in My Blue Heaven, to use an off ice example.

11. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I'm sure Elena Ilinykh would have something to say about that. :shuffle:

As for US Ice Dance next season, I could easily see S&B slotting in ahead of C&Z for the 3rd spot to worlds. It'll be interesting to see what happens between them and the Shibs. I'd be surprised if S&B beat the Shibs now that the Shibs have a world medal.

12. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Well now I've heard from a :sekret: that C&Z have split. He's retired and she is looking for a new partner. So I'd say S&B being 3rd next year is a really good bet. ;)

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

NO! I liked them. :wuzrobbed

I felt like they made real strides this year.

14. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I have also heard this. :sekret:

Maybe Madison will team up with Stagniunas? ;)

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  15. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

In a thousand depressions over C/Z. :wuzrobbed I've loved them since I saw them at Nats '08. :(:(:(:( Greg is such a great kid. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors! I hope Madi can find another wonderful partner. She's such a talent.

16. lovesdance

lovesdance Member

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :fragile: :fragile:

I love them too. What a bummer.

17. a56

a56 New Member

Greg Zuerlein has retired? :wuzrobbed

18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Cabaret was one of my favorite programs last year. Sad to hear!

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Ugh, they retired?! Lol maybe Madison will skate with her bf (Deividas), although he was coming along nicely with Isabelle Tobias, I thought

20. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I liked Isabella and Deividas at Worlds. I'd like to see them continue to develop.

Is Keiffer Hubbell interested in continuing to skate?

21. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Great news! I wonder if she had a partner lined up already.

I said before that newly non-partnered Collin Brubaker would be the perfect size for her.

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:swoon: I love Collin Brubaker!!

23. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I will miss C/Z. I really liked their programs this year and thought they made great strides over the past few seasons. I'm glad I got to see them skate in person at both 09 Nats and Nats this year. I talked to them at the FOFS breakfast in Greensboro and they were both such nice, down-to-earth people. I'm glad they had the chance to go to Worlds and I hope they are proud of all they accomplished together.

I hope Madi can find a good partner and I wish Greg the best as he moves on to the next phase of his life.

24. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Wow!!! What next? D/W retire? Or take a season off? Best of luck to C/Z in whatever direction their paths take them. They are both great, and will miss them.

25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

A strange retirement/split (well she is continuing or hoping to atleast). Maybe they felt they had already gone as far as they would go with the Shibutanis rise though.

26. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

This is rather devastating if true (just hoping it isn't, no offense to those in the know). C&Z really had wonderful programs last season and put their all into them. I was so looking forward to another season!

I hope that Madison quickly teams up with someone worthy of her and continues on. She is a star.

Is there any reason to think she might team up with Brubaker? I certainly enjoyed his dancing with his previous partner and hope to see him continue as well.

27. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Darn, I thought C/Z had such a different look that the rest of the Canton group. They will be missed. :(

28. DORISPULASKI

I hope to heck it proves not to be true :wuzrobbed:

I really loved their year's programs.

29. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Noo, I finally became a fan of them this year! :(

I mean, good luck to him in his future endeavors and good luck to her finding a new partner, but...they were really growing on me.

30. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Is all this based on Greg's update status on his Facebook ?? Something along the lines of "starting a new chapter in life".. or is there any more reliable source.??

I will be bummed if its true.