1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Status of US Ice-Dancing off season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 12, 2011.

1. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

And US pairs the weakest...:confused: Can Igor coach pairs?

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The pairs have it much tougher than the dance since the U.S dancers are also fortunate the European dancers are incredibly weak right now, the worst ever European dancer teams by a long ways. Granted Davis & White are outstanding technically and would do very well in any era, but a team like the Shibutanis would never medal in their first Worlds in a past year, they wouldnt even be close. By contrast the pairs is insanely strong at the top with the Russians, Germans, and Chinese pairs.

3. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I was at the "Torvill & Dean and the Russian All-Stars" show the stop before Igor defected. When he ended up in Detroit, our club would hire him to partner dance tests for him to get some $. I passed the Killian and Paso with him. For the record - I've never skated so fast in my life...I was terrified and actually went airborne on the Killian choctaw and passed by all three judges. Who knew back then what would become such a dynasty? And now his daughter is Intermediate Ladies champ? :)

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

She has such precise feet - I was quite impressed.

5. jorge

jorge New Member

is a pity that hubbels end their partnership, I liked their programs and both looked so confident on the ice.

well i think that someday they would end their partnership due to they are brother and sister and in a moment they would need to split for do their skating career , I wish all the best for both and I hope that kieffer decide continues on ice dancing.

6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

We really do have an embarrassment of riches in US ice dance. Everyone knows I'm an uberfan for Davis/White so I have no problem with who I want #1 but after that, they are all so amazing it's hard to choose! After years of being an ice dance fan, it's so nice to have so many great teams to watch, and not just US teams, either. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate what CoP has done for ice dance. I know some fans on here disagree but I didn't really enjoy all the voidy dramafest that ice dance became in the 90s when it became impossible to tell objectively which team was better than another. It was all a matter of taste. Which is probably why I liked teams like Bourne/Kraatz and Wynne/Druar because they had entertaining programs, imo.

Anyway, I am glad to see ice dance evolve as it has.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. centerpt1

centerpt1 Well-Known Member

8. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Shibutani's will suffer from a little backlash internationally next season after rising so quickly - a little bit like what happened to Chait/Saknovsky several years ago. I realize the new scoring system will limit the backlash, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a little bit lower results in the upcoming season. I still think they will be No. 2 in the US.

This is all assuming they don't have any health or injury problems.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Their improved finish at Worlds was only due to the retirements of multiple teams after the Olympics. They were passed from the previous years Worlds by multiple teams such as Crone & Poirier, Bobrova & Soloviev, and the Zaretskis. And at the Olympics they finished 3 spots lower than the 2009 Worlds. So yes they were a bit on the way down even before the injury, at the very least in no way were they on the ascent that season.

Regardless I gaurantee they wont be fighting with the the reigning World bronze medalists the Shibutanis next year. Maybe the season after if they have a stellar comeback. They will be happy if they can be the 3rd U.S team and even make it to Worlds next season.

10. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Clearly, S&B need to do Nebelhorn or Finlandia or both this year.

11. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

That'd be helpful as they could get some extra ISU ranking points. That could be helpful in terms of start order if they make it to Worlds, which I think they will if they can pick up where they left off.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  12. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

I would hope that S/B will get Skate America.

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

If Chock & Zuerlein, who will definitely get 2 GPs, do well again on them, it may be difficult for S&B to win the spot at Worlds. C&Z were my "Most Improved" team for this season (even more so than Shibs). After all, they just missed the GPF this year after dismal finishes the year before.

The previous GP season, S&B placed 4th and 5th, 9th at Worlds. 11th at Olympics.

14. kates8

kates8 Active Member

What is the status of S/B right now? Are they even back skating together?

15. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I believe he is back on the ice; she hasn't really stopped training despite his injury. I have no idea where he is re: regaining all his skills. I wish them all the best. It must have been excruciating to watch the Shibs' crazy impressive run from the sidelines this year.

16. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Evan tweeted this morning that it was great to have Meryl and Charlie back on the ice this morning so it sounds like he and Emily are back on the ice as well. Hope he is 100% again!

17. Conga

Conga New Member

While I think that C/Z's FD suited them (mostly Z) this year, I just am not a fan. I am hoping that S/B can come back and, maybe not this first year but next, regain their position. I really appreciate the Shibs, but I think that S/B have more potential for versatility.

18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm so torn-I love all 4 teams! The Shibs are just my favorite team ATM. But I love D/W and S/B and C/Z.

I think S/B and C/Z will be in gridlock for the third spot.

19. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I love all the teams.

I think Lynn & Logan are also in the mix for the third spot. I was totally impressed with them in Greensboro.

20. reese

reese Well-Known Member

God, I hope so. Lynn and Logan should be getting 2 GPs this year, correct? I hope if they get some decent scores this fall they'll be in contention for the third spot. That's their only chance though, I think, at the top 3. I am so against this monopoly Marina/Igor have over the top US dance spots.

21. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

If you count some of the other teams, ice dancing starts to look like Michigan's primary industry.

reese and (deleted member) like this.
  22. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Yes, they should have put D/W in that Detroit Superbowl commercial.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Sylvia

Sylvia Preparing for U.S. club comp. season!

It was posted in the Splits thread in GSD last night that Collin Brubaker has listed himself on icepartnearch (Rachel Tibbetts/Brubaker were 8th in their Senior debut at Nationals and competed at Skate Canada last fall).

24. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

This pretty well sums up my views, as well. I think C/Z have a raggedyness that puts them well below the Shibs and S/B.

I'm guessing we will see a little drop this year for the Shibs. While the judges responded to their basic skating quality, I think their World bronze has set off alarm bells all over the place, and the other federations with contenders will be lobbying hard and heavy against them next year. Canada will not like our #2 placing ahead of their #2, Faella-Scali will be back, Pechelat-B will likely not have another 7 point error, and the Russians will be pushing to get somebody close to the podium. So, unless the judges are ready to dump D-W, I think the other US teams will do well to finish 5th.

I also think being a brother-sister team and esp with Maia being so young, the Shibs will have a hard time doing a credible rhumba-Latin feeling short dance. There could hardly have been a worse SD tempo for them (except possibly tango).

I don't know where that leaves Samuelson-Bates. I don't think the world will stand for 3 US teams in the top 5 or 6 and I don't know if they will be able to move back above the Shibs. Over all, I find them much more entertaining to watch, though. Emily has the best toe point in ice dance and they are both natural performers.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  25. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's going to be interesting whether Samuelson/Bates or Chock/Zuerlein get the third spot (considering Lynn/Logan as a dark horse too). I couldn't call it.

I agree that the Shibutanis will probably drop a couple of places. They're a good team but it's obvious that they would have been beaten by Pechalat/Bourzat if P/B hadn't fallen, and Faiella/Scali will be back too, probably finishing ahead of them in the world unless they skate badly like at the 2010 Euros.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia Preparing for U.S. club comp. season!

27. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Well if these other teams have a problem with the Shibs beating them then they better skate better because i don't think the Shibs are going away for awhile and they have age on their side over these other teams.

28. nikjil

nikjil Active Member

I don't know about that. Several years ago at Lake Placid, I saw the Shibs do a Paso Doble. Maia, despite being tiny, really had the attitude down and completely projected it. I realize that Rhumba is more romantic but several teams on Dancing with the Stars have done Rhumbas that are less passionate, think Cheryl and Chris Jericho's Rhumba dedicated to his late mother. If the Shibs do something in that vein it might work.

29. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Rhumba ??? ROMANTIC ???????????????????????????

30. Capella

Capella Guest

The ice dance version of the rhumba is nothing like the floor/dancesport rhumba. The ice dance one is knd of perky and moves quickly. So the sibling squick factor wouldn't be an issue for this CD/SD.

ETA: link of Meryl & Charlie doing the rhumba CD back in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011