Status of US Ice-Dancing off season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 12, 2011.

1. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

I believe Chock/Bates are first in line for the newly opened spot at Skate Canada. Because she finished top 12 at Worlds last season, I don't think they need a minimum qualifying score together. They would automatically qualify under the new GP rules (although there are some contradictions within the rules, so I'm not 100% on that).

2. reese

reese Well-Known Member

What newly opened spot at Skate Canada?

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

M/N of CZE are out, so the spot is now open :)

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Has Samuelson found a partner yet? I really liked her.

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Not yet, AFAIK. :(

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I saw that Yang/Baker didn't skate at Lake Placid b/c of injury. Does anyone know if they are healthy again?

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Oddly, the rules are straightforward for Chock/Bates for Skate Canada, since Chock was top 12 last season, which covers all of the contradictions in timing (last season, last two seasons, no timeframe), and split couples don't need a minimum score as replacement skaters.

The contradictions come in if they were given a TBD spot at Skate America, because the initial selections need a minimum score or top 75 placement last year, and the TBD spots held by a host may count as initial selections, but a replacement does not. If C/B were given a replacement spot at SA, then USFS would have to relinquish the TBD, since they can't have four teams from the US.

8. Conga

Conga New Member

So does this mean that C/B could end up with SA and SC?

9. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I have heard that Emily Samuelson will have a few try-outs this month. With whom, I have no idea, but I would love to know if anyone has heard/seen anything.

Does anyone know if she stayed with her current coaches Igor/Marina or has she changed coaches?

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The way the GP announcement was written literally, comeback skaters (not using their one-time comeback guarantee of two) and split teams are first on the list, but only top 24 SB and WS with one get a second before any more spots are assigned. (They're already guaranteed one, and many already have a second in the initial selections.) C/B are probably first on the alternates list, unless there is a comeback surprise, but after they are assigned to SC to replace Mysliveckova/Novak, the next assignments go to the 11 top 24 SB and WS with one assignment.

The way that USFS could get C/B two, assuming they get SC, is to either assign them to SA as a provisional TBD, like Hubbell/Donahue, using a Fall senior B to get a minimum score, or to use them as an alternate for one of the assigned USA spots, for which they don't need a minimum score.

11. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I hope Emily has left Marina/Igor. My guess is she has.

12. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

I certainly hope she had left them. I wish her Grandfather would post and let us know how she's doing.

13. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I would imagine she is back with Yasa & Yuri. Leaving them is what started this mess.

14. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Emily just posted on Facebook, "decision time is fast approaching"

15. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I hope that doesn't mean that she is thinking about retiring!

Could she be thinking about moving somewhere else to train? That might mean changing colleges too.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

It could just mean that Sept 1 is fast approaching--deadline to register for Regionals/Sectionals.

17. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I like your guess better! :)

18. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Fingers crossed Emily has found that perfect partner!!! Any ideas who she may have tried out with?

19. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

20. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Curious as to where we are at with the US Senior Ice Dance Teams... and wondering how packed Sectionals may be after all as a result.

All three sectionals take place Nov. 15-Nov. 20 this year.

Possible Byes:

Meryl Davis/Charlie White (Russia Grand Prix the following week)
    Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (NKH the previous week)
    Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt (NHK the previous week)
    *Hmm. Interesting no dance teams are currently assigned to Trophee Eric Bombard that same weekend as Sectionals... perhaps with so many dance teams training with the top coaches it was more of a coach choice than a coincidence?

Anyone else who may receive a bye?

Possible Senior Sectionals Distribution:
    **Moving up to Senior/registered for Lake Placid IDC, per Silvia's post above

Easterns:
    Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello (East)
    Meredith Zuber/Kyle Herring (East)
    Ginna Hoptman/Pavel Filchenkov (East)
    Katherine Pilgrim/Alexander Lorello (East)
    **Janine Halstead/Robert Knopf (East)
    **J3 Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (JW7) (East)

Mids:
    Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan(Mids)
    Kristen Nardozzi/Robert Cuthbertson (Mids)
    (New) Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (Mids - though he was All Year last year, and still competed in Mids)
    (New) Evan Bates/Madison Chock (Mids or Pacs? She was All Year last year)
    **J11 Carina Glastris/Kevin Allison (Mids)
    **N6 Brittany Schmucker/Adam Munday (Mids)
    **J4 Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan (Mids or Pacs 3 out of 4 years they've chosen Mids)
    (New) Kristen Nardozzi / Nick Traxler (Mids)

Pacifics:
    **J1 Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely (JW3) (Mids or Pacs? They've always chosen PACS so far)

Reportedly looking for a partner and not listed on IPS.com:
    Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson

Listed on IPS.com (Is this still accurate?):
    Collin Brubaker, Ryan Van Natten
    Alissandra Aronow, Piper Gilles, Alison Carey

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Kristen Nardozzi reportedly has teamed up recently with Nick Traxler, according to this thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79840
    I assume they will compete out of Mids.

Relevant threads in GSD:

Has Emily S found a partner?

New CDN ice dance team - Gilles & Poirier

ETA:
    Not that I know of right now. Byes to 2012 Nationals due to their top 5 Senior level finish at 2011 Nationals (in addition to their scheduled GP assignments): Davis/White, Shibutani/Shibutani, Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  22. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Thanks Syliva!

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here are some of the Senior, Junior and Novice Dance entries for the Challenge Cup competition (Sept. 8-11, 2011, hosted by the Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane Society in Ardmore, PA):

SENIOR: I. Cannuscio/I. Lorello, A. Cannuscio/McManus, Zuber/Herring, Pilgrim/A. Lorello, Hoptman/Filchenkov, Halstead/Knopf

JUNIOR: Parsons/Parsons, McNamara/Carpenter, Pham/Pham, Pogrebinsky/Gudis, Jeandell/Dodge

NOVICE: Grant/Skala, M. Lorello/Dean, Miller/MacMillan, Pfeifer/G. Lorello

24. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Are the 4 lorrelos related?

25. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they are all siblings.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, all 4 ice dancing Lorellos are siblings! :) Scroll down to the Notes section in Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010376.htm

A January 2011 article about the University of Delaware's Nationals Send-Off Show mentioned the Lorellos' ages: "... 14-year-old twins Meara and Grant, Alexander, 23, and Ian, 20."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  27. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

So what happened with Chock & Bates? Have they skated? Has anyone heard anything?

28. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

The Onyx Challenge is this weekend, but I don't see ice dance on the schedule. Are C/B just doing an exhibition?

29. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Sylvia just answered my question with this tweet: :)

30. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

thanks TBF and Sylvia. That's good to hear that they skated!