1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Statistics question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mon125, May 19, 2010.

1. mon125

mon125 New Member

I need to hand in a paper and I am not sure how to name a couple of test that I've used.
    First: Mann-Whitney U (U in italics?)
    Second: I am not sure if it is unpaired t (t in italics) test or just Student's t test

Thanks.

2. tracylynn

tracylynn Active Member

LOL!! Are we in the same class? I am also writing a statistics paper for my class but I used different instruments. However, I think you do not need to italicize the U in Mann-Whitney U. I have seen it without being in italics. As for the t test, I believe you can just say t test. To be honest, I am not 100% sure since my statistics class is killing me. LOL!!

3. Ania

Ania Active Member

It may depend on the field, but I expect my students to write:

one-sample t (df) = xx.xx, p < .xx
    OR
    independent-samples t (df) = xx.xx, p < .xx
    OR
    paired-samples t (df) = xx.xx, p < .xx

4. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

What class is it for? Different fields use different conventions.

5. mon125

mon125 New Member

It is actually not a class. I am writing a paper in microbiology and I was not sure the actual test nomenclature.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. Ania

Ania Active Member

Oh, then ignore my answer - it was appropriate for social scientists who follow APA guidelines.
    The easiest thing you could do would be taking a look at a recently published paper in your field to check the conventions.
    Good luck!

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Consult your style guides, not (semi-)random people on the Internet!! Look it up in the AMA Manual of Style!

8. mon125

mon125 New Member

^^^ Great idea!