State Fair Food

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by orbitz, Mar 30, 2010.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

And the mayonnaise. :p

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've tried chocolate-covered bacon (meh) and deep fried oreos (not bad) but my new favorite is unique -- NC State Ice Cream. Delicious and the kids working the stand are generous to a fault. One cone is enough for three people. We shared because I wasn't putting kids on rides, or in my car, after eating that much ice cream.

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

What is NC State Ice Cream - ice cream made on the university dairy? Maryland has that too and it is good.

Fried chicken donut sandwich with honey sauce makes me :scream:

5. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yep, NC State Ice Cream is a favorite by a lot of people. Very reasonably priced too :)

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

ooo what fun! I'm all about good eating, but IMO State Fairs and the Super Bowl are when all bets are off.

Happy memories of the Iowa State Fair when we tried deep friend Twinkies - before they hand it to you, they ask if you want extra powdered sugar on it.

The beef "sundae" sounds like fun - I'm only surprised they haven't found a way to serve it on a stick. :)

7. silverstars

silverstars New Member

Deep fried Oreos!

I've never actually been to a state fair (does New York even have them? I don't know...), but we always get them from this amusement park in Connecticut that we visit every year. Slightly disgusting, but in the best way possible.

8. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

And you can get it year round on campus. Reminds self to indulge soon...:D

New York State Fair is in Syracuse.

9. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

At our small county fair, about the best thing they have are cheese curds and funnel cakes, which are good, but not really a novelty. I really wish they'd switch things up and bring the deep fried Oreos because I heard they were divine!

10. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

The presenter at a recent cardiac training I attended is from North Carolina and said that the hot new treat at their state fair is deep fried butter. Freeze a stick of butter, bread it, and fry it. I am not making this up.

11. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

:rofl: I believe you. It's a big game of "what can we deep fry next?"

I thought I saw once on the news someone trying as a trial to deep fry "salad" (lettuce) :lol:

http://www.ncstatefair.org/2009/Newsroom/10-09foodphenom.htm
    Video: Sampling the new chocolate covered bacon and deep-fried Ho-Hos

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

there's a restaurant here that lets you bring any food you want to deep fry and people bring odd things just to see what will happen

13. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I've heard of deep fried dill pickles. Chocolate covered bacon sounds like heaven to me.....but I'd better take a pass.

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Fried pickles are big around here, I see them as appetizers at a lot of places. I hate them but I only like pickles cold and even then I never crave them or anything.

I've always wanted to try choc covered bacon. I am a huge fan of salty sweet.

Deep fried butter sounds nuts! I've heard of people eating butter but I couldn't imagine biting into a stick of butter. How incredibly unhealthy is that, even more so than most fried foods!

Fried oreos...hmm, that sounds interesting to say the least.

As for this Krispy Kreme burger...GUHROSS! Sounds like something Sandra Lee would try to sell.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I thought you were from the South?

The year we went to the Iowa State Fair, all the talk wasn't about what was going to be deep fried (they've been there done that apparently), but rather what would be served on a stick. The local newspaper was showcasing the lasted gadgets for beer on a stick that year.

16. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

the Minnesota state fair has a huge thing about "on a stick" foods: mac and cheese, pickles, deepfried snickers, etc

the arts building had a cute promotion one year. It put art reproductions on a stick.

Maybe they could deep fry actual sticks and put deep fried sticks on sticks. it's the logical progression.:lol::p

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  17. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Onion rings and corn dogs! :)

18. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I don't remember there being any noteworthy food items, but the life sized butter sculpture is always a show stopper IMO.

19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

It even looks gross. There goes my appetite for the night.

20. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Despite knowing how horrible for your health the various state fair foods are, I have always wanted to travel the US one summer and go from fair to fair just trying the food! There used to be a show on Food Network that would go to different fairs and show the foods. My mouth would just water! This is definitely on my bucket list!:lol:

21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Considering how unhealthy all the various deep-fried "treats" are, you might want to plan your State Fair food odyssey as the very last item on your bucket list -- as it could well turn out to be anyway. :lol:

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Our trip to the Iowa State Fair (yes, I actually planned a vacation around it a few years ago :lol:) was great, but once was definitely enough. (We visited the Spam Museum in Minnesota on the same trip!)

23. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I hate anything deep fried, but I've been known to go to a fair just for the cotton candy.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect snack....when you're stoned.

25. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

As far as I'm concerned, the State Fair of Texas is the king of fried crap. I had fried oreos last year and it was the most unsatisfying meal ever. It was gross.

They also introduced fried butter at the fair last year, but I did not try it. Supposedly they 'flavor' the butter then fry it. Apparently it was really popular. Yuck.

And I love fried pickles. One of my favorite things to eat!!

ETA: LOLOLOL I forgot Texas also loves to fry liquids. My dad has had the fried coke and my mom has had the fried cappuccino.

26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

My Darling Jenny, I AM from the South, where deep fried is a way of life!:lol:

But to be honest, when I was a pre-teen and being greatly under the influence of the James Bond movies, I had great urgings for "pickle martinis." This was composed of a short glass full of pickle juice from the jar and a small slice of pickle for garnish. To this day, I could drink a cup of juice especially from a kosher dill jar of pickles. It's one of my favorite things in the world! Call me weird..you won't be the first.... But pickle juice is delicious and a way lot less fattening than anything fried.

27. jlai

jlai Title-less

Yeah I remember staring at the fried butter stuff. That makes the fried peach (or whatever fruit de jour) just tame.

28. slicekw

slicekw Poster of Pet Vines https://vine.co/sharw1

OMIGOD, you mean the NC State something-or-another group in the red building???? Right across from the grilled corn on the cob.

:wuzrobbed I miss the State Fairgrounds all the time! There are no good flea markets and I miss the fair. :shuffle:

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I'm from the Deep South. I love fried chicken/chicken fried steak/chicken fried chicken, as well as Krispy Kreme Donuts. However, the thought of putting those two things together along with all that other crap sounds absolutely revolting :yikes:

If I'm going to harden my arteries (I've pretty much cut fried stuff out of my diet), give me a platter of hot, crispy fried green tomatoes (dredged/battered in salt-and-peppered flour by god, not in corn meal), with a tangy rémoulade. Fried dill pickles are outstanding, but I'll take hot and crispy fried okra (once again, dredged in seasoned flour) and cooked to the point that it nearly crumbles - if they could make that to order at the movie theatre, I'd eat a bucket of true Southern fried okra over oil-drenched "buttered" popcorn any day of the week.

One of my Aunt's adores fried snickers bars, but for me? :scream:

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

The Tulsa State Fair did deep fried butter this year :yikes:

I like the deep fried cheese curds, but I can only handle a few at a time.