Starwars or Startrek?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Jun 3, 2012.

Are you a fan of Starwars or Startrek?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2012.
  1. Starwars

21 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. Startrek

42 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. Both

31 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Neither

12 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Somehow there seem to be people that like either Starwars or Startrek. I like them both.

What about you?

2. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

What? Spaceballs gets no mention?

3. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'm gonna go with Star Trek, just because I love Deep Space Nine.

I don't dislike Star Wars, I'm just kinda meh on it.

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I voted for Star Trek, but only the original series... :respec: :respec:

5. wustfan

wustfan Member

Star Trek! TNG!!!!!!

Although I like the oroginal trilogy from Star Wars, but Episodes 1-3 :blah:

grimey and (deleted member) like this.
  6. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

It's a valid point.
    :D

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Star Wars for me all the way! :cheer2:

8. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

beepbeep and (deleted member) like this.
  9. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Neither, I'm not a sci-fi fan at all.

11. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Star Trek. I actually enjoyed all the series.

Couldn't vote for Star Wars b/c of the "prequels" 1, 2 and 3 were so abysmal. If they had stopped with 4, 5 and 6 I could have voted for both.

12. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

13. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I have loved Star Wars episodes 4-6, thought 1-3 were decent and I like how we discovered what turned Anakin into Darth.
    But my first love -- that would be Star Trek waaaaaaaay back in the 60's and I watched the original series when it first aired. A certain pointed-eared half breed who believed logic was the way to rule one's life had me "fascinated". All the other Star Trek series were good in their own way and I enjoyed them a great deal -- and most of the movies too. Oh yeah, my two favourite movies are both original series characters -- the death and resurrection of my favourite character -- Spock.

I am guessing that since my love affair with science fiction began at an early age and Star Trek was my fav over another "spacey" show -- Lost in Space. Yeppers, I'm a trek fan all the way.

Oh yeah, I simply loved that they included "my" Spock when they did the reboot of Star Trek in the movies.

14. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I am a nerd and I like them both...

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Both! Well, Star Wars Episodes III, IV, V, and VI along with some, not all, expanded universe and Star Trek including the Original Series, movies featuring the cast of the original series (except V. THERE IS NO STAR TREK V), Seasons, roughly, 2-6 of Star Trek: TNG, and the new J.J. Abrams "Star Trek" alternate timeline with Chris Pike Zachary Quinto, et al. DS9 was a lot better when it was called Babylon 5 (JMS had even pitched B5 to the same studio, which a year later comes out with DS9), Voyager and Enterprise...well, Voyager might have been salvageable at some point, Enterprise is one of only two Trek series that was actively cancelled and the only one that DESERVED it.

16. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I love them both. Plus the Stargate franchises!!!

17. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Trek here. I love Next Generation and Piccard. Fun characters. I think the first Star Wars that came out is a masterpiece and changed movie making, and The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the whole lot. But on the third one, they started getting cutesy with the "we can merchandise these characters even more than before!" When I saw those little teddy bear people in the third movie, I knew they'd sold out.

18. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I voted for Star Wars, though I'm bitterly unforgiving of the replacement of the Ewok song and Sebastian Shaw with that generic Victory Celebration theme and Hayden Christensen at the end of Episode VI. :drama:

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Star Wars came along at a time when I was so negative about the US. After living through assasinations, war, Watergate, Kent State, violent protest (I liked the nonviolent variety) I could not figure out why we bothered celebrating the Bicentennial in 1976. I know this sounds strange but that movie was the beginning of my way back to appreciating the good qualities and--even more--the positive possibilities that the US represented.
    Beyond the (then) eye-opening special effects and sweet story there was the thought that George Lucas could be the embodiment about what was right in an environment that promoted democracy and meritocracy. In fact you look at the films of the 70's and you see an explosion of creativity (free of the yoke of the studio system.) Anyway that first movie is very special to me for a lot of reasons.

But I love Star Trek too. I'm not sure you have Lucas without Roddenberry. And it seems the series has been a constant in my life since childhood. On the playground at recess I was "Bones." And I loved the latest reboot and am so happy they are filming a sequel. That is a long time with one show and it's ancillaries. Whew--just had to get that off of my chest. I cannot decide on one---I'm glad we have them both.

20. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

I've never understood how I've always been obsessed with Star Trek but have never been able to get into Star Wars, even though I've tried.

Voyager is my favorite, followed by TNG. I really think Voyager is quite underrated. Seven of Nine and The Doctor have to be two of the best sci-fi characters ever. Janeway rocks and is a great female version of Kirk, which was refreshing after Picard and Sisko. Unfortunately we also have to deal with the 0-developed and zzzzzzzzz Harry Kim and Chakotay.

I loooove TNG but I feel like it's a bit too idealized, sanitized. Riker is such a little bitch, man up, marry Troi, and take your own command the fourth time it's offered to you. :p And don't even get me started on the freaking Crushers...

I'm trying to watch DS9 again. Never been able to get into it. Halfway done through season 1, it's alright, but I'm not hooked yet. Does it get a bit more engaging in season 2?

21. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Yes. DS9 is by far my favorite Star Trek series.

22. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I liked the Worf/Judzia Dax storyline.

Too bad DS9 and Voyager weren't made into movies.

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  23. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I even liked Babylon 5 but I would put either in this poll.

24. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Yep. When it was on, I watched it irregularly, and stopped watching completely when
    Jadzia died
    but I've recently been watching all of them on DVD and have just started season 7. Watching everyone
    deal with Jadzia's death is making me tear up a little.

25. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

This post is word for word my feelings about all these series. I have all of Voyager on VHS tapes, and I've got a request out for the series on DVD. Someday I'm going to try to watch DS9, but I've got a lot in my "to watch" queue.

26. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Me neither. I've never seen any Star Trek or Star Wars so I have no opinion on which is better.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

28. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Trek all the way. DH & I are currently working our way through all the series via Netflix. We just started Voyager, and Enterprise is next. So far, TNG and DS9 are pretty much tied for my favorite. For TNG, I adore Picard and Data. For DS9, I like the continuous storyline.

It's too early yet to tell whether I'll like Voyager or not... but there is one little thing that bothers me a lot already. In TNG, it's mentioned a few times that the Captain almost NEVER leaves the ship to head-up away teams, and that that is standard protocol in Starfleet. But in the roughly 7 episodes I've seen of Voyager, Janeway leaves the ship every chance she gets, and no one questions it. Yeah, like I said, it's a little thing.

29. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Oh, I remember so well that first scene where we met Locutus of Borg. That was chilling when he told them, "Resistance is futile.... Number one." It was great stuff.

I liked all the Trek series and I even thought Enterprise got better as it went along. Voyager used to annoy me at times, because it seemed like TPTB were nervous making Janeway the captain, and so she had to be more of an expert than her own experts in so many fields. Loved the Doctor on Voyager, though, and especially the episode where he had a family of his own, and as the program played out and one of the family members (I forget which) was going to die, he ended it. One of the other characters scolded him about wimping out, basically, and he went back and "lived" out the experience. It was very well done, I thought.

But I think Picard and Spock were my two favorite characters in all of Trek. Patrick Stewart did some great work as Picard.

30. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I like them both, but the one I'm wicked into is Star Trek. It started with TNG... I also liked Enterprise and the new film.

I haven't seen much of either Voyager or DS-9, as I was living overseas in a country where they didn't air.