Starvation as cure for diesease study in England

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Glide2, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13887909

WTH? starvation as a cure for disease. starvation which leads to DEATH yeah. ok. being dead you wouldn't have to worry about a metabolism disease. ok. I can't imagine living very long or very well on their 600 calorie diet of non starch veggies and diet drinks. I need a THOUSAND more calories than that.

So they are controlling their diabetes with diet and probably exercise like several million other people do.

A medical study that only has 11 people isn't much of a study. And it only "worked" for 7 of them.
  2. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

3. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I've been reading a lot of articles in various places- internet, Discovery Magazine, newspapers, that when I add them all together gives me the same answer. What doesn't kill you very often makes you stronger. And it also often makes your children and even grandchildren stronger.

We have our genetic code, which is what we are born with and doesn't change. Then we have our epigenetic code, which tells our genes what to go, and it can be changed. It explains why one twin gets schizophrenia or diabetes and the other doesn't. And starvation, or poisoning, or radiation, or infectious disease will change our epigenetic code, often so that we live longer.

And our epigenes are inherited from our grandmother- they are coded in our mothers ovary when she is in utero, and our father's condition at the time we are conceived.

The good news for the future re diseases like diabetes and other conditions that have an inherited tendency that is not completely genetic, is that since the epigenes can be turned on and off, we'll probably be able to reverse unhealthy changes.
  4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

They were free of diabetes at 3 months. Big whoop. Test them again in 3 years and, if they are still diabetes free, we can talk.
  5. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

6. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

Their diabetes wasn't cured. It was probably in remission. MacMadame is right. The diabetes will come back eventually. This seems similar to patients who have gastric bypass whose diabetes goes away for a while. However, it returns.

I kinda get tired of fatphobic pseudoscience getting passed off as legitimate. Eating better and getting some daily exercise helps with diabetes. Not starving one's self. Plus, I thought that fasting actually has a detrimental effect on your blood sugar. Do any diabetics know if this is the case. All of the diabetic Muslims I know don't fast during Ramadan because their doctors told them not to.
  7. Lurking Skater

Lurking Skater Ms Lurker if you're nasty

This is how diabetes was treated before insulin was created. People died quickly from diabetes or they ate just enough to not have any sugar spill into their urine, which was hardy anything, and essentially died from starvation. It was hardly a cure.
  8. MacMadame

It doesn't return for everyone with gastric bypass. It definitely seems to be tied to the weight though. Those who have significant regain often see it come back, though often not to the levels it was before.

They are actually doing the intestinal bypass of the gastric bypass or the duodenal switch without the stomach restriction on diabetes patients in Europe with good results.
  9. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

Very true; my great-grandfather died that way. My grandfather, who took insulin, still died early even with the strigent diet.
  10. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this is type 2? It's never specified in the titles of articles, and usually rarely mentioned which type is meant. It's a real pet peeve of mine.

Omg! I stand corrected in this instance. Kudos to them! It's common knowledge that weight loss helps keep type 2 in better control. Eating so little would cause weight loss...I'm not sure how this is ground breaking.
  11. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

There's actually quite a bit of evidence that severe calorie restriction increases longevity in animals. Here's an article explaining the biochemistry behind it. We're not talking starvation but rather a very low calorie diet that provides all nutrients so that you milk each calorie for all its worth, so to say. Kind of like a bonsai tree.
  12. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Eh. Quality over quantity, I say. I'd rather not restrict myself to the point of misery just to live a bit longer.
  13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. What's the point of living longer if you're going to be miserable and restricting calories in a way that would make an anorexic blush? (Which comic pointed out, those five extra years are the five worst years anyway?)

Now, if you told me I'd keep the body and looks of a twenty-five-year-old until I was 95, then I'd think about it.
  14. MacMadame

There's no evidence that it works in humans though. Not to say there won't be some day, but that day hasn't come.

Plus, you don't necessarily have to restrict your calories overly much. What evidence there is does suggest that you can get health benefits by eating 10-15% less than what your body burns.

Not to mention, if I practiced calorie restriction as the purist define it (50% reduction), my calories would still be around 1200, which is what a lot of diets such as Jenny Craig put you on. So it woudn't necessarily be that onerous or unhealthy. Then again, I'm not sure I could do a 10 hour bike ride on 1200 calories a day so I don't think it would work out in the long run. :lol:

Anyway, I think it's an interesting concept. I would love to see more research on it and what exactly the benefits are in humans, if any, and how little you could restrict and still get them.