Stars on Ice

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AJ Skatefan, Feb 26, 2012.

1. gerb

gerb Serial Lurker

2. AnnM

AnnM Active Member

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

What a great deal!! Now I really wish the show was coming here so we could get something like that!

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Sounds like a :kickass: show!

5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Thanks, Midori, for such a terrific review!

6. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

attyfan, I'm with you on saving the ticketmaster fees!

I almost never buy tickets ahead not only because of the fees but 1.) I can't risk losing $$ in case there's stormy weather or something came up like an illness ect.. and I can get to the show & 2.) why should they have my $$ months ahead of time when I can walk in on the day of the show and still get front row seats?? For Lake Placid I got up there 2 hours before the show and got on ice tickets! (which I usually don't splurge for, but since it was the only show I could get to this year, I decided to go BIG :D) One year I drove 4 hours to Newark, NJ and got first row (off ice). I see no need to buy tickets ahead of time, yet the shows I've gone too seem fairly packed so maybe lots of people buy last minute tickets?

7. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I went to a Champions on Ice show back in 2006, but I have never been to a Stars on Ice show. I hope they come to the northeast.

8. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Polymer Bob - the remaining shows on tour are Pittsburgh (Mar. 10), Chicago (Mar. 11), Portland,ME (Mar. 16), and Hershey (Mar. 18). Portland may be the closest show to you?

skamper23 - they often release held tickets the week or day of the show - these are tickets that might have been reserved for sponsors, comps, etc. That's why you can sometimes get better seats at the last minute than when you order in advance. And I agree that Ticketmaster fees suck. in both Seattle and Wenatchee, there were still many good on-ice seats available, I think because they're so expensive! I was in first row center ice in Wenatchee and the entire row of center ice on-ice seats in front of me were empty.

Thanks, Midori for your review - it was nice seeing you again at the shows ;).

And I hope ticket sales are better than the above messages are suggesting. The show is really worth seeing, in my opinion. But for those who won't get to see the show this year, I wrote a more detailed than usual review. Here's my Seattle and Wenatchee Stars on Ice review. It's way too long to cut and paste here...

Personally, I love the show, and I think two of the group numbers - the Adele "Rolling in the Deep" act I closer, and the "Waiting for my Real Life to Begin" "sexy man" guys' number in act II - are two of the best group numbers they've done in a very long time. Plus, there's a real coherent theme and structure to the show. I highly recommend it!

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Appreciate all your reviews. Too bad they're not coming to a convenient (for me) location this year- sounds like they upped the ante a bit this time.

(Hershey is the closest show to me distance-wise, but obviously no public transportation is available to get there)

10. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Thanks everyone for the reviews. I'm thinking I need to go and see the Canadian tour this year.

Sorry, but I had to :lol: a bit - iirc the name of the move is actually "fly high and say goodbye", though perhaps this time it was especially scary?

The move was taught to John and Kyoko by Lloyd Eisler who "invented" the move with Isabelle Brasseur. (I use quotes on the invented part because I read that Lloyd used to watch cheer-leading competitions to look for moves to adapt to the ice so I'm not sure if this is one of those moves.) Again, iirc, this move was first performed at a pro competition in Canada and they apparently asked Tracy Wilson what they should call it, so I think she is the one who came up with the name.

11. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Yeah, actually, Kyoko and John do a few Brasseur & Eisler moves - the spin where he holds her out upside down I believe also was theirs first.

FYI, I've posted this before, but now that some people have seen the show, they may find this interesting - it's Kurt's co-director Geoffrey Tyler talking about the opening number and some of the decisions they made in the process of shaping this year's show, and might make more sense now that people have seen it: Geoffrey Tyler on Love 'n Life

12. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction. I'm glad it's called "say goodbye" instead of "say die." I thought that was a little overdramatic. It wasn't any scarier than usual this time but I remembered that someone said a few years ago Kyoko actually fell on this move.

13. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

When my friend saw this move she turned to me and said, "I NEVER want to see that again!!!". What a wuss. :p

14. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Clearly.

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Yes, it happened a few years ago in Philly, PA, on the night of SOI's 1,000th show. We were sitting not too far from the spot on the ice where it happened. The cast had a 1,000th show anniversary cake. All of the cast members came out to celebrate the occasion, except for Kyoko & John (she must have been having medical treatment during that celebration). Pretty scary, but I'm glad Kyoko & John are back on the tour.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  16. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Oops I forgot to put the overall impression part to the review:

I enjoyed this years SOI more than I had expected, and my expectation for the tour was very high.

It looks like Kurt's direction is working great. While you can see many possible improvements, I think the shows last week were already high above SOI in recent years. The show was fun, refreshing, and very satisfying.

Besides, many of the cast have really gorgeous skating skills, which, you know, you should see in person to fully appreciate. And you can see a lot of them not only at their solos but during the group numbers since the group numbers, esp. Act I Finale and Men's number, have a lot of footworks in the program.

Overall, I really loved it.

Commenting on my own review:
    According to Kyoko's blog on the SOI site, they found a foreign object on the ice during their number and had to pick it up during the performance. Perhaps that was the reason why I saw some hesitation and all.

17. Leela

Leela New Member

Does anyone know when the taped "Stars" show is going to be shown on TV?

18. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

It's syndicated this year. They have the schedule here.

http://starsonice.com/?content=tour_news&id=4524

Mostly, the show was shown during the month of February. I'm afraid you might have missed it already.

19. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  20. DarkEyes

DarkEyes New Member

Your photos are always beautiful! Thanks for sharing!! :D

21. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Was anyone who wants to report at the Anaheim show? or is going to San Jose today? Love to hear more about it. I'm looking forward to Pittsburgh next weekend.

22. ssmith17

ssmith17 Member

Great photos Teenes, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to Portland.

23. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Anaheim was great ... Katia and Kurt stumbled in their respective second numbers, but it certainly didn't spoil anything. Only problem was that the program stated that Miki Ando would be doing a guest number; instead, they had T/T (the Japanese pair team) doing a routine .... to "A Little Less Conversation" (all I could think about was Alexei, John Z, et al)

24. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Thanks attyfan - was it a good crowd?

25. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I didn't think so. When I parked the car, I was told they were estimating about 5,000 people ... in an arena that holds 18,000.

26. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Ryan Bradley tweeted he broke the heel of his skate in Anaheim and just now Sinead Kerr tweeted John broke the heel off his skate during their 2nd number in San Jose :eek: (hope no one was hurt)

27. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

No, John was fine, but he kept looking at the heel of his skates during the bows. I wasn't sure why. Guess I should have checked Twitter!

San Jose show was good tonight. I don't recall very many bobbles, except Ryan wiping out on a backflip during the bows, so of course he ran and did another one. Possibly another 2, I can't recall. I don't know why Miki Ando wasn't there, but we got T/T as well - very energetic and fun, a few bobbles (I was wondering if the show lighting was throwing them off).

I noticed in Wenatchee that in the Up number, when John mimes proposing with the ring, Todd (as the old man reminiscing was also on one knee with the ringbox in his hand), but I didn't notice that when Ilia pulls off his glasses in joy when realizing Katia is pregnant, Todd also takes his glasses off (I only realized this b/c he's putting them back on when the light goes down on Ilia and Katia).

I used to say the Rolling in the Deep number was my favorite by far, but the "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin" number with the four guys and spotlights is fast rising to possibly supplant it. It's such a gorgeous number, and it feels the most polished and put together of all the ensembles, probably b/c it's only 4 guys to coordinate instead of the whole cast.

The crowd was completely full up one side in San Jose, the other side was fairly full but had empty seats, one end was completely empty (I don't think they sold it - it was the one over the tunnel), the other end was mostly full up the middle but empty in the corners, and the on-ice seats were more full than in Seattle and Wenatchee, for those keeping track...

28. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Thanks for the report Teenes! I agree, about the guys "waiting for my real life to begin"! It's a very artistic number, too bad with the lighting it's so hard to get any pictures of. I really wished they showed that one on the TV broadcast, but I bet the lighting prevented that too.They must have tweaked a few things since Lake Placid, because I don't recall a ring box in the "Up" number and I think Todd's costume for "Waiters Gallop" and John Kerr's pants for "Pencil Full of Lead" are new too. This is why I like to see more than one show a season if possible. I'm toying with the idea of the Portland, ME show if I can get off work, it's about a 5 1/2 hour drive one way.

oh another thing I noticed from your pictures is that Sasha (besides doing two programs now) is wearing skates at the beginning of "Dog Days Are Over" when the guys lift her, in LP she had ballet slippers on.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  29. AnnM

AnnM Active Member

I was at the Anaheim show.

Although they haven't returned to the "glory days" of SOI, this show was infinitely better than the hot mess I saw in 2010.

I really loved Ilia's first skate, the Act 1 finale to "Rolling in the Deep", the Act 2 opening number inspired by Up and the spotlight number with the guys. And a little extra love for John Zimmerman in leather pants :lol:

The crowd seemed much larger than it was 2 years ago at Staples, although I know a few hundred were lured in by a Groupon deal.

Gems overheard from casual skating fans:
    "Who are they?"
    "I have no idea. But look they're married." -- on Sinead & John Kerr

"Mommy, why does she keep liking spanish?" -- little kid on Sasha's 1st number

"There's Scott Hamilton!" -- when Kurt skated out for his 1st solo

"That's little Sasha Cohen?! Whoa she's all developed now. Look at those boobs."

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teenes, loved your reports and pics as always! :D