Stars on Ice

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AJ Skatefan, Feb 26, 2012.

1. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I just got back from Stars on Ice in Seattle. It was a great show as usual. All the skaters were excellent. There was this sexy man number that was sublime. John K. Kurt, Ryan, and John Z in muscle shirts in the dark with little stand-up spotlights to this lovely song. Ryan Bradley was a great addition to the cast. He skated to Footloose and a Frank Sinatra song. Ilia rocked it as usual. I loved his number to Who Wants to Live Forever. Sinead and John did a lovely number to Jeremy's free program music. Sasha was really good. She didn't do any jumps but had other qualities that made up for it. Her number to Big Spender was fantastic. John and Kyoko haven't missed a beat. They did their scary "fly high and say die" move again. They did miss a lift in their second number but it turned out ok. Kurt Browning was entertaining as usual. The cast gave it their all. The show doesn't have the over-the-top special effects that they've had in the old days but it's still great. I feel very lucky that Seattle was one of the few stops on the tour.

2. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I was at the Seattle show too and can't say enough good things about the "sexy man" number. The choreo was outstanding and it was thrilling to see all these guys performing an intricate danse sur la glace. Fabulous arms, footwork and solo spots for each one...but the sum total was even better than its parts.

Sasha just killed her Big Spender routine. She owned the ice and really sold her solos to the crowd.

Ilia Kulik is a phenom. I love his commitment to movement and what a showman/athelete/dancer he is. He had the most jump content of all the guys and was spot on all night. His scratch spin was :swoon:

Joannie maintainins her high level of performance. The Kerrs did a couple of spiffy dance pieces. Katia's last solo was great. Ryan was just fab -and fits in perfectly. His mic'd skates number with Todd and Kurt was excellent.

Finally, Kurt Browning is simply amazing. If he did all the choreo than I salute him for putting together a truly pleasing set of all-cast pieces. I fluvvvved it.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Thanks for the review.

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Lady Nit and AJSkatefan, thanks for the reviews. The show sounded wonderful.

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks for the reviews. I'm sorry the Tour didn't stop in my area this year, but I'm glad you both had a good time. It is very impressive how Ilia has maintained his skills and jumps while continuing to explore various artistic aspects of his skating.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reports. Can't wait to see it three weeks from today!

7. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report. After attending the past 4 years, going to skip it this time since the nearest show is too far out of the way for me. Can't justify the expense/already seen most if not all these skaters at some point.

Interesting to hear about Cohen, though. People who have watched her over the years, do you think she is becoming a better show skater? I remember her being completely cold (quite a letdown) the 1st time I saw her in '08, but last December at Caesars I think I saw her finally break out of her shell a bit. (Curious that she did no jumps, though...)

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

9. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reviews :) They are nice to read since I probably can't go this year :(
    Sasha probably is better as a show skater-she's been doing for a few years. But I also think she's just in a happy place in life-living in New York and going to school.

As for as jumping I found this quote online from her Seattle times online chat back in late January. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2017336127_webcohenchat25.html
    With the Injury and school and that fact that Jumps were never her big thing she probably just searched for a program that she could bring to life without the jumps.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:eek: When did she break her hip? Somehow I missed hearing about that! Poor girl.

11. lotte86

lotte86 New Member

She never told about that until recently! I think it happend in april last year, in Prague. She was doing a show there and there was reported (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77773&page=3) that she was injured and that there was an ambulance outside! I remember that she was also injured last july, she skipped a part of a show in shanghai.

Thank so much for the reviews! did sasha do 1 solo or 2? if she did 2, what was the other music?

12. AJ Skatefan

Ouch, poor Sasha. I have to say that it didn't really matter that she didn't jump. I think she's working harder on her performance now and I'm enjoying her skating more than I ever did before. BTW, Joannie could easily waltz into Canadian Nationals and blow the field away. She rocks.

13. stogba

stogba New Member

How was the attendance for this event?
    SOI is not coming to stl and when I looked at going to Chicago in a few weeks I could get seats in the 4th row. That does not seem like their selling many tickets this close to the event.

14. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

wow, never knew about Sasha's hip. With a broken hip, she's lucky to be skating at all.

15. AJ Skatefan

The top level of the arena was curtained off and the lower bowl was about 3/4 full.

16. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Kurt, Sinead & Kyoko have been tweeting about the bus ride from Seattle to Wenatchee! It's snowing and the bus pulled over to put chains on the tires...with the help of John Kerr:lol: While John Zimmerman built a snow man. Hope they make it to the show on time :)

17. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

John Kerr just posted on FB that they made it. :rollin:

18. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Not a good sign if they are having trouble selling tickets to the Chicago show. I went to the Chicago show in '10 & '11 and the arena was packed.

19. AJ Skatefan

These are tough economic times.

20. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

AJ Skatefan and LadyNit, thank you for your reviews!

LadyNit, I'm glad you and SilverFox decided to go to the show! :cheer:(I assume SilverFox went with you.:))
    Ah~ I wish I could see all group numbers and transitions! They did only two group numbers (+ 1 from last year's) and no transitions (except Sasha's flirting with Kozuka) in Japan. I must say I really liked those two group numbers they did in SOIJ and I hope they add more group numbers and transitions next time they do in Japan!

I hope more people go to SOI and enjoy the show!

21. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Great show review from the Seattle Times:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/entertainment/2017605618_starsonice27.html?prmid=head_main

22. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I am fully aware that these are tough economic times. The downturn in the economy has been going on for many years. However, the down economy did not appear to affect the attendance at the 2010 & 2012 Chicago SOI shows that I attended. Both shows had near sell-out crowds with almost all of the on ice seats sold. Therefore, it is not a good sign if ticket sales in Chicago are down this year.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a great review by the Times.

24. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Last year they had the hometown hero, Evan Lysacek. Without him this year, it will be a tough sell.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  25. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Good point. I didn't think of that.

26. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I went to the shows in Seattle and Wenatchee. The both shows were reasonably well packed, I think. Seattle crowd was rather loud and Wenatchee crowd was very loud, especially if you consider the size of the arena. No standing ovations though, except for sporadic ones.

Some pictures of Seattle shows by my point-and-shoot camera.
    http://twilog.org/tmidorin/date-120228

Act I

Cast: A Suite for Stars
    Throughout the program they play pre-recorded skaters voice as they act and skate along the words.
    In the firs time I could not really follow both the words and the skaing but that's probably because I still cannot process English words without focusing to them.
    It is a rather short number but for the years I had attended none of the opening numbers was really long.

Ekaterina Gordeeva: Love Will Keep us Together
    The transition from the opening to this number is great. When I saw this program for the first time I did not really like the song while Katia made it ok. Then watching the program three times, now hte song sounds cheerful and exciting to me. How can you do it, Katia!??

I like that they put Katia here; one of the best skaters from the cast skates at first. They also did so in Japan Tour with Daisuke or Shizuka. After only two programs, the opening and the first solo, you'd already be glad you came to the show and all the rest would feel like extra bonus. I think that raises the level of excitement throughout the show.

Transition
    Through the Act I, there are short transition numbers of guys here and there. Ilia is a comic and he is really good at it. I like them a lot.
    Especially the first one here between Katia and I/Z was funny. Although you cannot see what's funny with Ilia's costume if your seat is on the side of the tunnel. It is just not visble because during this transition they kept facing the other side and never turn around. It makes you a bit left out.

Kyoko Ina & John Zimmerman: Johnny Got a Boom Boom
    The one Kyoko jumps over John is simply awesome.
    Generally they do much better than in Japan Tour but still I occasionally see some hint of hesitation and uncentainness, which make me feel scared.

Kurt Browning: I'm Yours
    Luckily I saw this programs a lot of times in person plus many many times more on TV, and it is just getting better.

Sasha Cohen: Dos Gardenlas
    I do not really recall how the program was like other than the costume and some Sasha moves but I remember enjoyed it.

Ryan Bradley: Footloose
    I think Ryan needs a better program. His smile is very charming, his moves are convincing and he can draw the crowd in very well, but his programs feel very repetitious and even boring after the first minute.

Transtion
    Ilia was doing a very cute transition here. Does anyone know what he said in Russian? (it was Russian, right? Something before "triple salchow.")

Joannie Rochette: Formidable
    The program looks more smooth than in Japan Tour. In both shows her hair got loose down during the programs and I was wondering if it was intentional.

Todd Eldredge: The Waiter's Gallop
    It is the funniest program by Todd I have ever seen.
    Started with Kurt shouting at someone then gets off the ice. A lady (or grand-ma) on my right in Wenatchee did not notice Todd is on the other side of the ice but kept looking for Kurt coming back.

Sinead & John Kerr: Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3
    I just love this program. Just beautiful.
    The lady on my right said "I do not know who they are and I do not think I have ever heard of them" rather loud. Then she got very excited after the program. She asked me where they came from but she did not understand when I said "Scotland" (prob. my pronunciation) so I told her they're British. Then she asked me how I could know about them. Urrm, because I am not from US, perhaps?

After they bow they start skating to another music and when you start wondering if they'd skate two program in a row Ilia comes out and continues to the music.

Ilia Kulik: Who Wants to Live Forever?
    Ilia is one of the biggest reasons I made this trip across the ocean.
    Most SOI cast has amazing skating skills and even in the cast Ilia's skating stands out. I really love how he gets speed with just two strokes. And other moves. And he is a great performer.

Cast: Rolling in the Deep
    Best group number of this tour and perhaps the best in a few years. Very well woven in a program. In Japan Tour there were some messy parts but now it is really great.
    There are many part I really love and here are some of them:
    - the begining part with three guys
    - the part Joannie and Sinead put Katia forward toward Kurt
    - the part Ilia joins and goes through the cast as if pushing others aside
    - the part they cross each other like the shape of the letter alpha
    - the part the circle breaks to the outside
    - the part ladies in V shape goes on a leg with moving arms
    - the part all in a line and go straight with making blade noises
    - the part all in two line and go straight with arm moves

Act II

Cast: A Life Loved
    The lady on my right kept wondering who's the old guy on the chair. First she guessed it's Ilia for the first minute because of the height and all. Then figured out it's Todd.

John K. would have never imagined that he would ever propose to Sinead. :lol:
    In Seattle I did not notice that each couple repeats the same stuff, like linking arms. In Wenatchee it was more onvious but still did not notice some of them.
    In Seattle there was a loud kid in the crowd and other audience gave laughter to something the kid says, no related at all to thing on ice.

Transition
    Through the Act II, girls kept flirting guys befoe their solo.

Ryan Bradley: The Best is Yet to Come
    Again, I think Ryan needs a better program. Besides, please make the programs a bit more omnidirectional; they are not for the judges anymore.

Sinead & John Kerr: Pencil Full of Lead
    I think they changed some of the choreographs between Seattle and Wenatchee. I do not see the theme of the program but it's a lot of fun anyway.

Joannie Rochette: Indestructible
    She used an old costume from ... what was the name of the program?? A few years back, the one escaping from the tied wrists. The feel of the program is somewhat similar to the old one with the costume.
    As the costume is not ready, the program does not look quite ready yet, like, during footworks she looks like not really performing but just doing the footworks.

Transition
    Three girls flirt Todd. Sinead even puts the tongue out and Todd looks like not moved at all.

Todd Eldredge: Amazed
    It's always great to see Todd skating smoothly.

Ryan Bradley, Kurt Browning, John Kerr, John Zimmerman: Waiting for my Real Life to Begin
    Perhaps this is the highdlight of the show. Especially the part Kurt goes around the lights in spread eagle is breathtaking.

Big Spender Sasha Cohen
    Sasha really sells the program everytime she performs this.

Transision
    Three girls flirts Ilia and lures him out from the ice, then Katia pushes him back to the ice.

Love in this Club Ilia Kulik
    The program in the Act I was the classic Ilia and this is the contemporary Ilia. I just love both. He flys on the ice, does not he.

Take Me There Kyoko Ina & John Zimmerman
    I think they added a move to the program after Japan Tour.

Ekaterina Gordeeva: Feelin' Good
    Katia's skating is also very special and every move of her is just beautiful,. Besides she lands a double lutz in Wenatchee. (not sure if she did in Seattle as I was taking pictures there)

After the bow Kurt comes in with wearing a hat and with pre-recorded voices he hand the hat to Katia. She puts it on and then leaves it on the ice, near the short end. I like how these two program go in a row.

Kurt Browning: Feeling Good
    Same song as the one Katia skated but this is a strong and bare feeling version.
    It is a very cool program with some aggressiveness, and I love it a lot.
    The costume color is purple while it looks like blue on most pictures. (Or is it my display?)
    During pre-show warm up in Wenatchee he was struggling with jumps. Then during the real program at the first jump of 2A-2A sequence he landed a very clean one and looked like he was surprised. Then messed up landing of the second 2A.

Cast: Dog Days are Over
    It looks like a very complicated program because most of the times I saw this program, one or two of the cast faces a wrong direction in the program ;)

In Wenatchee I saw Kurt hiking up the pants. He was not wearing a belt.:lol: He said the quick change did not work.

It looks like Wenatchee ice had a patch of bad ice and skaters kept making random falls or wobbles there.

kwanfan1818, alilou, tlk and 3 others like this.
  27. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great review Midori :)

28. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Midori, After reading what you've written, I can not wait to see the show in Pittsburgh. I am happy to hear that both the Washington shows were well attended; I was a little concerned they would not be.

From everything I read, Kurt Browning put a cohesive unit together with this marvelous cast. I'm really happy SOI decided to use his talents wisely.

29. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Thanks for the review & pictures Midori! I see Sasha is now doing two numbers, when I saw the show in Lake Placid she only did Big Spender & Group numbers.

30. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the reviews .... my husband and I are looking forward to the Anaheim show this weekend. (We haven't even gotten our tickets yet; we are getting them Saturday afternoon at the box office and will have dinner on the 30 bucks saved by not paying the Ticketmaster fees.