Stars on Ice US Tour: Six Cities

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kwanfan1818, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Alexei'sgirl

Alexei'sgirl Member

NYE show starts at 6pm. Unless you're planning to spend NYE in Hershey, or just don't have other plans, it will be hard to fit it in. I'm afraid I won't be seeing the show this year. :(

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Fantastic cast and all big names.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

5. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

It was a great show and well worth the trip from Ottawa. Not shown in the backstage photo is Dorothy Hamill. I don't think she ever appeared in one of these costumes which were used in the opening cast number and the linking vignettes. Choreo for at least the final group number was apparently done by Jeff Buttle, based on another Facebook photo posting.

6. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Jeff Buttle was the choreographer for Stars on Ice this year, with help from Renee Roca.

Would love to hear more about the show - I don't know anything except that Kurt and Dorothy did a duet! So Dorothy wasn't in the opening number?

7. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

I'd love to hear more detail, too. This was my first time missing the Lake Placid opener since the early 90's.

Was it really not filmed for TV? The press release on SOI's website seems to say that it will only be filmed in Japan... with a somewhat different cast.

8. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the info. I'd love to hear more about the show as well. :)

9. victorskid

Apparently, despite the fact that was only one (or maybe 2) cameras visible in the arena, there is a plan to have something syndicated again this year. As far as I recall, Dorothy didn't skate in the group opener as she had the first solo, immediately afterward.

Here's what I wrote about our group of four's evening to share on another board -

The show started a few minutes late as they were trying to get everyone in and seated. The first half was less than an hour long. There was a 20 minute intermission and the show was over at 9:30. The crowd was quite good, in terms of empty seats. There were no TV/video retakes, in fact there only seemed to be one or two video cameras in operation so there likely won't be any/much TV coverage

We really enjoyed the show although there was one negative comment about the lighting in the first number - the skaters were too hard to see. The crowd was quite responsive throughout but there were only two full standing ovations - one after Kurt's 2nd number (Singing in the Rain); one at the end. There was good use of linking vignettes and the video screens were only used to show the skaters names or to provide some background with no advertisements. There were three numbers involving the full group - to open the show; to open and close the 2nd act. There was a special number to close the first act (see below).

The cast & some comments:
    •Dorothy Hamill - still looks lovely; had a strange fall (while not really doing anything special) in her 2nd solo number; a wonderful duet with Kurt (to "Me and My Shadow") closed the first half and was full of humour
    •Kurt Browning - he's still "got it" and has, once again, done a great job in putting on a cohesive show that's reminiscent of SOI of years ago. We're hoping he's still going to skate in Canada although this is his last US tour.
    •Katia Gordeeva - two solo numbers plus a number with Ilia, Kimberly & Brent - it was a mixture of dance and pairs moves and was really mesmerizing; she had a fall in the first of her solos
    •Ilia Kulik - two solo numbers; still great jumps and fast footwork
    •Joannie Rochette - two very enjoyable solos - one or perhaps both were choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne
    •Ryan Bradley - two solos, one of them had him portraying Harry Potter
    •Sinead & John Kerr - two very enjoyable numbers, one of them to Scottish music and dressed in tartan - she in a dress; he in a kilt
    •Shawn Sawyer - two very enjoyable numbers, both of which I had recently seen on TV (one was Allegria)
    •Kimberly Navarro & Brent Bommentre - good additions to the show - definitely one number on their own plus the number with Katia & Ilia; can't remember if they had a second one.

10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report, victorskid, sounds like a good show. I really hope a video of Ryan Bradley's Harry Potter performance pops up on youtube soon.

11. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I am thrilled for Kim and Brent, and combined with Sinead and John, I'm very glad to see ice dancers represented twice, to say nothing of Katia and Ilia doing moves.

I am so disappointed that the Hershey thing didn't work out for me tonight, would have tried to go any other night but it's my last night with grands.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  12. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks so much for the report! Oooh, Katia & Ilia doing pair/dance moves together. :swoon: I seriously became giddy when I read that. :shuffle:

I'd love to see the routines online. The Kerrs' number sounds great as well.

13. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

A full report on the show and all the skaters programs, as well as pictures and a video of Kurt's "Singing in the Rain":
    http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/20...eates-magic-while-saying-farewell-video-0101/

14. lulu

lulu New Member

Fantastic review, thank you so much for sharing the link! The show sounds wonderful. Katia's "Lights" program sounds great, and of course, Kurt's "Singing in the Rain." Just one very minor, minor correction to the great review, Katia & Ilia have skated together before, most notably their "Di Bolero" pair duet number.

15. victorskid

The article acknowledges that Katia & Ilia skated together before:

16. lulu

lulu New Member

:eek: Wow. Believe it or not, I didn't party too much to celebrate New Year's either. ;) thanks for the correction!

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I know Kulik and Gordeeva skated in a quartet on Stars on Ice with Bechke and Petrov. I think Petrov was the first man to do real pairs elements (like lifts) with Gordeeva in a show after Grinkov.

ETA: I found the link on YouTube, dated 1998-9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYIkYax6rw

Apart from John Curry's shows at the Metropolitan Opera House, and with the caveat that I've never seen Browning's "Nyah" live, this was the most spectacular professional performance I've ever seen. I remember thinking I had died and gone to heaven.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  18. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Dorothy Hamill alone is worth the price of admission. Period. It's so good to see her out there touring again. She honest-to-God is ageless...

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  19. lulu

lulu New Member

I can imagine. That must have been so amazing to see.

20. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

I absolutely loved the "Four Corners" number. The only odd thing I found about it is that they distinctly weren't equal corners - I don't think Ilia ever skated with Elena so it was very much a Katia-number with Elena to skate with Denis when he wasn't skating with Katia. Still an awesome number, though. If that Katia/Ilia/Kim/Brent number captures even some of that feel, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks so much for the reports! I'm so looking forward to seeing this show in March!

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The lifts that Gordeeva and Kulik did back then were low, dance lifts, and adding a dance couple might make it more equal all-around.

22. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

While I am glad they can still plug away somewhere, it's a real shame that such large sections of the US are left out.
    Attending SOI had become an annual tradition for me, but there's no way I can pay the price of the tickets plus travel to see it. :(

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that great review.
    I hate that SOI isn't touring anywhere in the South.
    I would have definitely traveled to see the show.

24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

The Hershey show was great! We had seen Shawn Sawyer in competition on TV, but this was the first time we saw him in person. He was a fabulous addition to the US cast, and has amazing flexibility. I think of him as the male version of Sasha (and I definitely mean that in a very complimentary way). We have several friends who normally attend SOI with us, who couldn't due to work obligations on NYE or other factors. I do hope that the 2014 tour (assuming there still is one) will go back to being in March/April, after Olympics & Worlds, and will restore many cities that have been left out in recent years.

25. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

They have not toured the south in several years (except I believe Florida which is still a very long drive for Southerners or Midwesterners). It doesn't appear as if this is going to change any time soon. With 6 dates, it appears SOI is on it's last leg.

26. meighanu

meighanu New Member

There's a new interview with The Kerr's up on the same site today.

27. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. paskatefan

Thank you so much for the link to the interview with the Kerrs! We're so glad they are part of the SOI cast, along with Kim & Brent! :encore:

29. marysy

marysy Active Member

30. paskatefan

^ Thank you! The pics are gorgeous!