Stars on Ice US Tour: Six Cities

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kwanfan1818, Nov 3, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Joannie Rochette's FB-master just posted a link to the Stars on Ice website, which lists six cities for the 2012-13 US tour, and nothing yet for the Canadian Tour until Fall:

30 December 2012: Lake Placid, NY, Olympic Center
    31 December 2012: Hershey, PA, Giant Center
    2 March 2013: Anaheim, CA, Honda Center
    3 March 2013: San Jose, CA, HP Pavillion
    8 March 2013: Chicago, IL, Allstate Arena
    10 March 2013: Portland, ME, The Civic Center

Cast listed to date is:

Dorothy Hammill
    Kurt Browning
    Shawn Sawyer
    Joannie Rochette
    Sinead and John Kerr
    Ryan Bradley
    Ekaterina Gordeeva
    Ilia Kulik

with the caveat that all skaters aren't guaranteed to appear in all cities. Even with a day of travel there and another back, that 4 days for the end of December and 11 days for the March segment.

2. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

The SOI website mentions the return of Dorothy for Kurt's last US SOI tour. It sounds like it might be the last SOI too with these few stops :(

3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I'm hoping they'll do a big post-Oly tour in 2014, just like they did in 2010. Hey, I can dream. ;)

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

It's too bad, we went the past 2 years. Two years ago it was a lot of fun - Evan and Sasha were so much fun to watch, it was very lively. This year the rink felt so empty and hollow. It was a cute show but I was glad the tickets were a gift, it was missing a spark.

5. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I keep wondering how long it can hang on :(.

6. marysy

marysy Active Member

Actually I definitely think this is within the realm of possibility. Nothing like an Olympic year (hopefully with some good results for North American skaters) to revive skating.

7. sandi

sandi New Member

Glad Ilia and Katia will be touring again, especially since they are busy with coaching at their rink. I wonder if they will do program together since their aren't any pairs except for the Kerrs. And also more skaters doing numbers in groups?

I'll be going to the San Jose show since I live in SJ!

8. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

So sad, great cast, but only 6 cities - so many parts of the US left out in the cold, again! Scheduling one of the shows on New year's Eve? You've got to be kidding!

Debbie, I hope you're right. We've supported this tour since 1993, and I truly believe this is the end of the line for SOI. :(

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Wow, that's sad. :(

10. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

Very sad to see the schedule. I do hope they can hold on through next year. If USA Gymnastics can pull off a relatively successful post-Olympic booty-shaking tour, SOI should be able to find a sponsor.

Interesting choice, going straight from Lake Placid to Hershey on New Year's Eve.

11. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

This past year's SOI was not large either, but IMO it was a very good show. If they put on a quality production this year, I will definitely be there. There is no tour stop anywhere close to me, and there hasn't been for awhile. I travel. This past March, it was well worth the trip.

12. xzchief

xzchief New Member

USA Gymnastics won a gold medal. Anyone who wants SOI to survive in 2014 better hope the U.S. wins gold medals in Sochi and that those skaters appear in the show.

13. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Another drawback for the US leg of the SOI tour is that they do it before Worlds, guaranteeing that we won't see any eligible skaters. I love seeing the "pros" but the highlight for me was seeing the current crop of skaters.

14. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I was actually thinking I would like to go to the Hershey show, but New Year's Eve is a no go. When you add a plane ticket and hotel to the price of the ticket it's a real vacation. Not sure I can talk any family into going. There's no ball involved.

15. AnnM

AnnM Active Member

I agree.

I saw the 2010 post-Oly show and it was awful in comparison to the show's golden years. This past spring's show, however, was excellent. I felt like SOI was finally getting back to its creative roots. I'd be sad if this were the end for it.

16. Alexei'sgirl

Alexei'sgirl Member

I saw SOI in Hershey last year and thought it was a great show. Would love to go back this year, but with it being on New Year's Eve I just don't see how. Not to mention that I can't even find a time for the show.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If there's one night to have the show in a big city with public transport, something that can be a festive evening but end early enough to get home well before midnight and safely, it would be NYE.

18. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Sad. :( We'll be going to the Anaheim show. We didn't get to go this past March as I was pregnant and did not feel like doing anything.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I wonder if NYE is an afternoon show? Or is that night when they could get the arena for cheap?

Such a far cry from the days when they'd do a preview show in Lake Placid in November to film for a holiday tv special, and then 40 dates - that at the same time as the Champions on Ice tour! And we could look forward to a tv special from Kristi every year, and often from Kurt, Tara and others too. Plus some fun pro "comps" like the Canadian Open and World pros.

Other than COS, most of it was IMG driven. Wonder if they've cut back their staff and budgets too, and just don't bother with figure skating anymore - moving their resources to other areas they feel are more lucrative.

Sigh.

20. liv

liv Well-Known Member

The 90's realy were the golden years for pro skating, weren't they? We were so lucky.

21. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I miss Champions on Ice!!!

22. lulu

lulu New Member

Me too. I'm glad SOI is still plugging along though and it sounds as if last year's show, even with a decreased touring schedule was quite good. I'd especially love to see Kurt, Katia, Ilia and the Kerrs.

23. marysy

marysy Active Member

One thing I'm curious about is the timing of some of the shows. There's only one show on Friday and one on Saturday...the others are Sunday, and one on Monday (12/31). Is it cheaper for SOI to book arenas on days of the week that are not Fri or Sat? I was hoping to try to travel for either the Chicago (Fri 3/8) or Portland (Sun 3/10) show, but both probably means having to take time off.

24. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

So do I.

Isn't SOI rather pricey? (I haven't been in some time.) Did they price themselves out of the market?

25. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Tickets for the Lake Placid show (Dec. 30 @7:30PM and the Hershey show (Dec. 31 @6:00PM) are on sale now via Internet presale. Tickets for the four shows in March are on sale tomorrow (Nov. 9) via Internet presale. Password for the Lake Placid show is STARS. I got a presale password for Kurt fans for the other shows: KURT.

All the info I compiled on the tour (cast, showdates and times, ticket links): http://www.kurtfiles.com/soi/tournews.php#soi

It is pretty sad that the tour is down to 6 cities, though they did post on Facebook that they're looking forward to a longer tour next season post-Olympics. A bit skeptical that they've found a sponsor to pay for it, but who knows?

As for relative cost of venue, I do believe that Saturdays and probably Fridays are more expensive, but also there are scheduling conflicts with other events (concerts, hockey) to be worked around. The Allstate Arena in Chicago has games scheduled at 1pm and 7pm on Saturday Mar. 9, which is probably why that show is on Friday, while the Civic Center in Portland also has a game scheduled for that day, which is probably why its show is on a Sunday. Anaheim/San Jose are always Saturday/Sunday. However, the choice of Dec. 30 and 31 probably had more to do with it being a holiday than the venue cost, is my guess.

26. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I am stunned. 6 shows? Are they going bankrupt?

27. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

It's true that the golden age of skating is past but I'd like to support what we do have rather than focus on what we don't have.

As several folks have said, last year's show was really good. Kurt did a great job putting it together. Supporting it is the best way I know to ensure better times ahead.

I know that the limited geography cuts out the participation of a lot of folks here who'd love to go and that is the sad part. However, for those who can, I think watching/helping them build again (if that can happen) would be a wonderful thing. It will never be the same - nothing is - but it can be really terrific. Let's hope.

28. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I can certainly see your point. However, if you have never seen Dorthy Hammill skate..............the tickets are worth every penny. Dang, she is gorgeous out there just gliding around.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

There were 12 SOI shows in Canada last year IIRC, and there were several sponsors, including a title sponsor. This helps to defray cost, since the choreo is largely the same, and the same costumes/props are used. Kurt's choreo was very well-received, so hopefully there will be a dozen Canadian shows again. Yes, audiences are down even in Canada compared to the "glory days" of pro skating, but perhaps SOI can rely more on the Canadian and Japanese markets for now, and attempt more US shows in the Olympic year.

30. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I've been going for years and would agree that last year's tour was a nice improvement over the last few.

I wonder if the 2014 tour will be more like 2010, with mostly eligible skaters coming off the Olympics and using the old COI dates, starting in early April. The one thing I missed in the 2010 tour (compared to old COI) was top skaters from other countries. Back when there were no post-Worlds tours/shows in Asia or Russia, we used to get nearly all the best skaters. (I think the only overlap was a French tour that kept some skaters out of COI for the first half or so of the tour.