Stars On Ice TV Special

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Simone411, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

2. joemauerlover

joemauerlover New Member

Some of the cast members are going to be performing on the Today Show on Friday morning, the 21st. Just an FYI! It was posted on the SOI facebook page, have to look for it again.

3. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't a one hour commercial like last year.

4. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Well, according to the schedule it will be a 1 hour broadcast. ;)

5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

My local NBC channel has "paid advertising" for Saturday at 3:30-5p?? :mad: Is it still scheduled for Saturday?

6. HisWeirness

^ It is still scheduled for 3:30pm - 4:30pm Eastern on my local TV listings (NBC).

7. HisWeirness

More information:
    http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/...s/2011/01/20/skatinglegendsc1295545108252.xml
    :lol: anyone else spot the errors in this press release?

8. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

A few too many 2006's?!?! :lol:

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Almost forgot it was on! Thank goodness I saw a notice on Facebook.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Looks like that's exactly what it is........back to SNL reruns....:shuffle:.

11. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Oh damn, I thought it started at 3, not 2:30.

Did I miss Tanith & Ben?

12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

This show is a shell of it's former self. The opening number choreography was brutally awful. Lots of fist-pumping, air guns and hand-clapping to the beat.

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, they were the second piece. I think Tanith choreographed it herself. Or... at least I hope they didn't pay for that. :slinkaway

14. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the opening 'cos I turned this on more than 15 minutes late. When I saw Kurt & Todd I thought, "Oh no, more clowns." But then I actually enjoyed the piece.

Guess I'm just glad we're actually seeing excerpts from this year's show. :shuffle:

15. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Well, Evan was exciting to watch as well as Sale and Pelletier - they really did some risky moves to Janet & Michael's Stop Pressuring Me.

Sasha, well kinda boring. That's all I've seen so far.

16. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Ben really moves better that all the other guys...the rest are just doing the choreo...ben is hot:cool:

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. It may have been just snippets of this year's show, but it was so much better than all those "five seconds of a skater/three minutes of a singer" specials.

18. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

And 8 minutes of everyone bowing to each other. I really dislike that format...

19. stogba

stogba New Member

I enjoyed it . Definite improvement over the past years shows that showed more of prior shows than the one they were promoting. I always attend the SOI shows when they come to St Louis but they are not coming this year. I would have definitely bought tickets after what I saw today.

20. joemauerlover

joemauerlover New Member

i LOVED it! this is what a skating TV show should look like. no live musicians, and a great cast. I was so nervous that it was going to be a look back show, but so happy it wasn't! i just wish it was longer! and bummer about some of the guys not getting show including Kurt, Todd, and Michael.

Thanks NBC for a great show! Can't wait for my show in St. Paul!

21. sohamlib

sohamlib New Member

I missed John Zimmerman. They need another pair team.

22. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

This. It's still not up to the level of the glory days of SOI but IMO it's an improvement over last years tour which looked more like a continuation of COI. At least Renee Roca managed to get some of the creativity back into the tour; that was evident in particular in a couple of the group numbers (the clown piece and the 50's looking piece that we saw clips of).

I also think that some of the cold spots were better than those from last year. I actually liked Evan, Katia (I liked her program better than I thought I would after reading a couple of the SOI reviews from last Thanksgiving weekend), S&P and I liked B&A's number. :slinkaway

I thought NBC was just going to show pieces from last year in between talking up this years tour or another retrospective so I almost blew off watching. I'm glad I didn't.

I usually can watch Sasha skate to anything but didn't care for her new number; yet another GFB.

23. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Don't worry Carmen, I liked B&A's too. I also liked Kurt, Todd and Sasha and I don't like clowns. Too bad we didn't get to see all performances.

24. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Finally got to see Tanith & Ben's number and I really, really enjoyed it.

I'm sooooo thrilled that they've cut back on the perk as pros. 'If It Kills Me' is my least fave program of theirs since they retired from eligible skating.

25. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I've gone to Stars on Ice in Denver every year since 1992 and they aren't coming here this year either. Major bummer! Glad I could see a little of it on TV but still doesn't make up for not getting to see my favorite ice show in person! I hope the economy improves and skating can bring in an audience again soon AND I hope that SOI can survive through this.

26. aymkjb88

aymkjb88 New Member

Love this year's special, it's a GREAT excerption of the show, I enjoyed the whole cast and every single program, but Evan and Katia are the absolute highlights for me! :swoon::swoon: Will definitely see it live again. :cheer2:

27. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I loved the Stars on Ice Special! I am so glad that I will get to see the show live. Stars on Ice has not come to my state in many years. Therefore, I will again have to travel over ten hours to see the show. However, it is well worth the time and expense.

28. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Seems like a Latin theme this year, judging by the progams they showed on NBC: Gordeeva, B/A, Rochette, Lysacek all skated to Latin music. I actually liked S/P's routine, even though I never liked them.

29. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

I like "If it Kill's Me" but I have it in the same category as the "Hip Hop" routine. It was fun to see a couple times when I hadn't seen it before but it's definitely not going to go onto my rewind and watch over and over again list.

30. luviskate

luviskate New Member

Do you know where I can get discount code for SOI? Last year there was a coupon in the Entertainment book for 50% off or something. I don't think it is there this year. Any suggestions where to get some great discount to SOI? Thanks..