Stars on Ice: Japan! Takahashi, Asada, Buttle, Weir etc. Jan 5-6 Osaka | 12-14 Tokyo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by PinkFeathers, Dec 21, 2012.

1. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

05-06 January
    Kadoma Sports Center, Osaka, Japan

12-14 January
    Ariake Colosseum, Tokyo

Cast (Varies between dates, see website):

Daisuke Takahashi
    Mao Asada
    Akiko Suzuki
    Kanako Murakami
    Shizuka Arakawa
    Takahiko Kozuka
    Alexei Yagudin
    Jeffrey Buttle
    Kurt Browning
    Johnny Weir
    Ilia Kulik
    Ryan Bradley
    Joannie Rochette
    Irina Slutskaya
    Dorothy Hamill
    Sean Sawyer
    Sinead & John Kerr
    Philippe Candeloro
    Yuzuru Hanyu
    Kim Navarro/Brent Bommentre
    Ekaterina Gordeeva

This sounds like an awesome show!!
  2. kamarinabitto

kamarinabitto New Member

Johnny!!!!!!
    i cannot wait!!!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Amy03

Amy03 New Member

what a great line up, can't believe that they managed to bring so many retired skaters to attend this event, the fans sure will get something for their money!
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Re-posting from this post in the Japanese news thread:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. lulu

lulu New Member

Too bad about Kozuka's injury. The cast list looks amazing, I'm looking forward to reading the reviews of the show! :cheer:
  6. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

I went to the opening of Stars on Ice Japan.

The arena was fully paced. A lot of people around me (on the upper deck) seemed like casual fans.
    In the last year's show, a skater introduced the performer, but there was no introduction this year, so if you can't identify the skater, you have to check the screen above.

The show started with Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know. Skaters were all in black costume. There were so many acts happening simultaneously and seamlessly. It was an artistic program. It was supposed to be a serious number but I almost burst into laughing when I saw who John Kerr was coupling with. John lifted Shawn and to my surprise Shawn lifted John, too. :wideeyes: In the number Shawn was featured a lot. He also did side by side backflips with Ryan. When the last skaters, Joannie and Shawn, were leaving the ice, Shawn's pink umbrella was inside out. I wandered if it was an accident or it was supposed to be so.

The first solo number was performed by Dorothy Hamill. Her skating was elegant. This is my first time I saw her skating live, and I thought her skating was like Yuka Sato. :cheer:
    The next skater was Ryan Bradley. He skated to Ho Hey and of course a backflip was included. I noticed that his skating changed. It was softer and smoother. From my seat, if you hadn't checked the skater's name on the board, you may not have known it was him. ;)
    The third performer was Akiko Suzuki and she did her Kill Bill Short Program. She was the first Japanese skater and because a lot of audience only knew Japanese skaters, when people recognized who the skater was, there were cheers. She skated as energetically as Akiko should be.
    Then, Jeff Buttle skated. I think his music was Both Side Now. It was like watching a contemporary dance. He didn't do jumps, but it was beautiful skating.
    After Jeff's program, there was a small transition. Jeff was leaving with music and the Kerrs were moving towards the center ice at the same time. The Kerrs skated to Mad World. It was also a beautiful program.
    There was the same kind of transition as before with the Kerrs and Shawn Sawyer. Shawn skated to Alegria. He was really Cirque du Soleil-ish. It was amazing to see how flexible his body was! The program had a lot of Shawn tricks, spirals, spins, spread-eagle (Japanese skating fans call it Klimkin Eagle), and backflips. The audience loved him and there were some standing ovations.
    After Shawn was Kanako Murakami. She skated to Adele's Someone Like You and Rolling in the Deep medley. She popped the first jump, but later she did 3s-2-2.
    The next was Philip Candeloro and his music was Saturday Night Fever. In the slow part, he went to the front row seat and danced with a lady. He hold her hand and put it on his hip...ewww:scream: He must've been the model for Chazz Michal Michaels! There were a lot of Candeloro movements, such as hops, cloth taking off, and he finished the program with Candeloro spins.
    Then Navarro&Bommentre skated. I think their music was Simply Irresistible. There aren't any pair teams in this tour, but they did some scary pair exhibition moves. Awesome.
    Next was Yuzuru Hanyu and he skated to Hello I Love You (Glee?). His opening jump was a quad! I couldn't see if it was T or S. He did a 2A but he definitely intended a 3A, because after it, soon he jumped again, and it was a 3A. :D
    The last number for the first half was 3 Japanese skaters (Mao, Daisuke, & Kanako) and 3 Canadian skaters (Kurt, Jeff & Joannie) special group number. The music was Take My Hand by Blaise Plant. His band, Monkey Majik, consists of 2 Canadians and 2 Japanese. Daisuke unexpectedly tripped after a split jump. We were worried, but he seemed okay after that.
    rayhaneh and (deleted member) like this.
  7. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Thank you Marroncream for the report! Kudos again to Yuzuru Hanyu for including quads in his exhibitions :)
  8. Suze

Suze New Member

Thanks so much, Marroncream! I enjoyed reading your report. The John Kerr - Shawn Sawyer pair lifts must have been a riot. I'm happy to hear that Philip Candeloro was a part of the SOI Japan too: haven't seen his name on this forum much lately. Also, I'm very delighted that Yuzuru, my latest fave, included a quad for a show performance! I hope that means he's fully recovered from whatever illness left him looking to frail and gaunt during the Japanese championships a week or two ago.
  9. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the great review Marroncream :cheer:
  10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the show.
  11. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Group photo 1, 2, Mao's costume... :rolleyes:

Brief clip 1, 2.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  12. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

Move
  13. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

Here is the second half of the first day.

After a 25 minute break the second half started.
    The opening number here was The Beatles' Come Together. It was an interesting program. Skaters did various acts in small groups, but in the end they skated all together!
    This time, solo numbers were started by Shizuka Arakawa. She skated to Music Of The Night from Phantom Of The Opera. As always, her skating was beautiful. Something happened at a take-off for an Axle and she couldn't do it, but like Hanyu, in a second, she jumped a 2A. :) Her Ina Bauer to 3T sequence was gorgeous.
    Then, Dorothy came on ice in a white dress and skated beautifully. We thought it was her second solo number, then Katia, Kim, Ilia, and Brent came on the ice and Dorothy left. Ilia and Katia skated as a pair/couple and Kim and Breat another. They skated to Pink's Try. I was amazed to see Ilia doing lifts and Death spiral! Ilia's character treated his lady (Katia) like a princess. On the other hand, Brent's character treated his girl like a rag, sort of, like the character in the song's music video.
    Joannie Rochette was the next and skated to That Man. She totally knew how to move with music, and did solid 3S.
    Ilia appeared on the ice next. He just had skated a skater ago but he was very energetic! He nailed a 3Lz and a 3F! His music was Galvin Harris' Let's Go.
    Katia came on the ice and she skated with Ilia for a little while. Then, she skated her solo number, Ellie Goulding's Lights, but the version of the music was different from what I hear on the radio. I'm not sure if that version suited for her. Whatever it was, her skating had a beautiful touch.
    This segment of the show consisted of a series of Russian Skates. So, the next skater was Johnny Weir. ;) Johnny skated to Christina Aguilera's Army of Me. His costume was family unfriendly (fishnet pantyhose), but hey we already had a family unfriendly program (Philippe Candeloro).:D Even in that bitchy costume, his skating had a sort of elegancy.
    And, the last Russian skate was Irina Slutskaya. Her music was Lara Fabian's Je Suis Malade. Her skating was powerful. Even though her Loop was double, fans loved it.
    You could tell that the show would end soon because it was Daisuke Takahashi's turn to skate. His music was Poeta. He has amazing musicality. He did a 3A and some more triples. The audience loved it.
    Then, a man in a suit and a lady in a white dress appeared on the ice. They were shy, but the lady finally kissed the guy, and he was on cloud nine. That was like watching an old movie. The man is a suit was Kurt Browning and he skated Singin' in the Rain. Every move of him was amazing. He even did 3T-3T jump! There were standing ovulations.
    The last skater was Mao Asada. She was Mary Poppins. She was very cute and the audience adored the program. She did two 2A and some triples, but doubled a Loop. When she finished her number, she opened her umbrella again. Then, the US cast came to her with their umbrellas. Mao skated around with them, and then left.
    The last number of the show was OneRepublic's Marchin' On. It was like a Grenadiers Guards march, but they had umbrellas instead of guns. They were handling their umbrellas nicelyl and effectively. It was a cool program. Before Kurt skated solo, he was waiting at the front row of the audience seats. He might've sit on one of the audience's lap because there was some laugher.
    After the cast bowed the rest of the skaters came out and bowed together. They went backstage, and we called for an encore. Then, they came out once again and bowed and went back.
    It was such a great fun to watch all those skaters performing, and I was glad that I was there. :) Like the last year's, group numbers are sophisticated and amusing.
    Sylvia, barbk, KatieC and 3 others like this.
  14. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review of the show, from Johnny's twitter he said he will be replacing Army of Me with Swan Lake for the rest of the tour. It sounds like a wonderful show, such a shame this current SOI cast is not appearing in the USA, I would definitely buy tickets.
  15. KatieC

KatieC Still jet lagged

What a wonderful review Marroncream. Thanks so much for keeping us up to date.
  16. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you Marroncream for your detailed review. Sounds like it was a fabulous show!
  17. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Yes, thank you so much Marroncream for taking the time to write such detailed reviews - this is greatly appreciated ^-^
  18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Indeed! I also wish we could see this in the US!
  19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thank you Marroncream for your wonderful review! What a line up!
  20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Great review. That is one heck of a line-up.

Is Jeff Buttle injured, or does he simply choose to do programs without jumps now?

Amazing that Dorothy is still skating professionally.
  21. seabm7

seabm7 Member

It was simply his choice for "Both Sides Now", according to an interview he did.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  22. paskatefan

Aren't Kyoko & JZ supposed to be doing the Japan tour (or just selected dates of it)?
  23. midori

midori Well-Known Member

According to the tour website, their appearance was canceled for "reasons of their own." No specific reason was announced.
  24. Sylvia

25. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

I just found in my report I wrote:
    I meant standing ovations. :eek:
    Now I can't edit and correct that...:slinkaway

I hope Tokyo shows are as fantastic as Osaka's! I'm also looking forward to the show's broadcast tomorrow!
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  26. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

A kind soul compiled tweets from skaters who are in Japan for SOI shows.
    They seem to have lots of fun!!

http://togetter.com/li/437599
    (the latest ones come at the top)
  27. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Kurt skated "Singin' in the Rain" today and in the middle of the performance it really rained!!! :eek:

What a fantastic staging! At first I couldn't believe my eyes.:lol: Voices of surprise came from the crowd and then, immediately after, the cheer got louder. It was such a gorgeous performance. So happy that Kurt will continue to join JSOI.
    All group numbers are gorgeous! Thank you skaters and I hope they'll enjoy Japan.
  28. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

29. Sylvia

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  30. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

31. Sylvia

32. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the links and the reports. Waht a great cast! Johnny's Swanlake! :swoon:

If anyone could post a link showing Irina's performance, then this would make my day! :)
  33. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

http://youtu.be/R8plMoj978E

;)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

THANK YOU so much for the link, rayhaneh! :)

I always brings me some extra portion of good mood to watch Irina skating! :rollin:
    Hope one day I'll manage to watch her live again. Her double axel is still really good! :wideeyes:
  35. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

36. paskatefan

Wow! Thanks, Sylvia! Hope this stays up!
  37. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Btw, I've been wondering: I can upload both the show and the pre-show video, but I was thinking of uploading them unlisted - to avoid being taken off by the PTB

Do we have a thread in this forum where we can specifically share such links, so that we can easily find access to such videos that are more likely to stay online long term?
  38. TheresMaude

TheresMaude New Member

Thanks so much for the links, everyone. I didn't watch all the numbers, only Browning, Tak, Slutskaya, Kulik, Hamill and Weir. I was so delighted with all the choreographic interest in Browning's and Takahashi's programs. But I was disappointed in the lack of choreographic interest in Johnny's program particularly, and to a lesser extent with Irina and Ilia. Both Kurt and Dai had so much wonderful footwork and so many wonderful moves in the field that went so beautifully with the music, heightening the effect of the music, allowing the music to heighten the effect of the choreography. It's what I'm always hoping for in skating performances.

And, amazingly, Dorothy H., while doing mostly relatively simple skating is able to fill the screen and, presumably, the arena, with the power of her simple gestures and skating skills.

It was a master class from three masters.
  39. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

Thank you so much for the links! The show looked great. I was hoping that Sawyer's "Alegria" number would have been included just to see the reaction of the enthusiastic fans of Japan. :/
  40. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

The music list is open in Tokyo.
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2013/tokyo.html#turn

I saw 3 Stars on Ice shows in Tokyo. Here is my impression.

Figure skating is really big in Japan these years. Countless shows have been held in a year. Naturally we can't see all, but choose to see some of them in an arena live. Once I enjoyed seeing SOI every year, even after Alexei left from the tour. But the show wasn't in my list in a couple of years. This year Alexei came back, so I came back.

I was a big fan of SOI. Honestly I liked to see Alexei skate with SOI much better than with any other shows. I thought SOI would be the most brilliant in the world. But... wondering if it was the crown in the past or my interest languished... In my memory, SOI had more fantastic group numbers, more gorgeous costumes, more exciting music, more beautiful lights and everything as the best entertainment. Unfortunately I missed them this year. It made almost 60 shows in US and 15 in Canada during I followed 2002 - 2007, but only 6 shows in US this season. Why?
    Really hope SOI will get back the sparkle in a future.

By the way, I liked to see performances of each skaters. They were nice presents of the beginning of a year.

Alexei Yagudin:
    In the extraordinary hard schedule, he came and performed in Japan again. We are really very happy with everything of him!
    In all skaters, only Alexei, Philippe, Daisuke and Shizuka performed 3 different programs every day. They knew a lot of fans went to see all 3 shows and we wanted to see performances as many as possible.
    In Russia, Alexei is no longer an Olympic Champion or a skate legend, but also the rising star in theaters, films and on TV. But he is still sweet and friendly for fans now as much as 10 years ago I met him for the first time.
    The unforgettable emotion in Salt Lake City happened 11 years ago. He had a good time and a hard time in life after that. The longer time passed, the more engaging he performed. Lovely but sexy, manly but beautiful, cheerful but sentimental... many sided expressions touched our hearts. His performances has been giving happiness, energy and smiles to anyone in the universe for many years, and hope it will continue forever.
    It was unusual heavy snow in Tokyo the last day. It looked like the same when he made the publishing party of his autobiograph in Tokyo in 2005. He made a storm in the sky and the arena again.
    I'm very lucky to live in the same period with him in 4.5 billions year history of the earth. Love and respect him!

Shizuka Arakawa:
    She keeps the top level for a long time after she left from eligible competitions. Always feel pleasure to see her performances.

Mao Asada:
    I'm sure her smiles make everyone feel happy! She looked more serious on the ice these years, but is great she got back joy and smiles on the ice this season. She tried 3A on Jan. 13th. Wish her success in Sochi.

Daisuke Takahashi:
    Needless to say, he is at the top in the world now. Jumps, spins and steps are in the highest level. As soon as he appears on the ice, he catches all hearts of crowd. He also tried 4T every day. In the past, I was not so interested in his skating honestly, but he shows incredible performances after he overcame hard times. I'm proud we have such a great skater in our country.

Akiko Suzuki:
    Her eyes always have power. Her skating was energetic and elegant. People loved it.

Kanako Murakami
    Great to see her way to become a lady from a girl. Also looked like she got back good shape.

Dorothy Hamill
    If there is no announce, who knew she was over 50 years old? Elegance, beautiful...I think to continue something very long years is as difficult as to get Olympic Gold Medal. Thanks a lot for wonderful skating!

Jeffrey Buttle
    I didn't know he would be good at choreographing. Hopefully he will make his talent big.

Johnny Weir
    He can always make his original world. Enjoyed it!

Ekaterina Gordeeva
    I'd like to know her secret how to keep cute and coquettish. Very charming!

Ilia Kulik
    Glad to see his pair skating with Katya. Very nice synchronized! And his solo skating was amazing!

Shawn Sawyer
    I was sure he got a lot of fans in Japan. Great flexibility and original choreograph! He made a good show man.

Philippe Candeloro
    He is loved in Japan. Crowd cheered loud and he performed cheerful as always.

Irina Slutskaya
    She still keeps her jumps after 2 baby births. Also keeps charming smiles.

Joannie Rochette
    Good rhythmic! Pleasant performances.

Kurt Browning
    He said after finale the last day 'I will not stop skating, although it's easy to find such rumors on the Internet'. Good to hear it.

Many skaters put photos on their twitter and Facebook pages. We are glad they had wonderful times in our country.
    Thanks billions everyone for loving Japan! We always welcome you!
    geoskate and (deleted member) like this.