Stars on Ice Cast Announced

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TanithandBenFan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

SOI is certainly taking a different road with this cast. Thrilled for Farris, he's one of my favorites. But- he's not an Olympian or Sr National Champion. (yet) He is an excellent skater. He's also on the tall side, which is a help in the group numbers.

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Josh Farris - nice addition! :cheer:

Re: previous SOI seasons - my all time favorite SOI skaters have not necessarily been skaters with Olympic medals (or Olympians for that matter), so I'm OK with that. Still hoping that next season's cast will be international in scope.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Whee, somehow two front-row (not on ice) seats opened up in Detroit yesterday and I snagged them!!! The $87/ticket doesn't seem like such a crazy amount now.

4. dr.frog

dr.frog Well-Known Member

:sekret: told me he thinks that Jason is only doing "half" the tour. I don't know which stops.

5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I hope it's the first half!

6. Messalina

Messalina Seasonal Curmudgeon

I always preferred Champions on Ice to the Stars on Ice format. We were so spoilt for choice back in the day ... Now I'd gladly pay through the nose to go to an SOI performance−but the show isn't coming within 1,000 miles of me. :(

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Jason Brown, Castelli/Shnapir, Alissa Czisny, and Joshua Farris are now linked from the U.S. SOI site but their respective show dates are not yet added to their respective pages: http://www.starsonice.com/the-skaters.html

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Jason said on the Arsenio Hall Show tonight that he will be skating in 12 of the 20 SOI shows.

9. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Josh's tweet said he'd be performing in the full tour, so I'm hopeful that means every city!

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

11. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

They weren't listed on the site when I checked last night. :) Good for them! Glad to see both Max Aaron (8 shows) and Polina Edmunds (9 shows) added as well ("in select shows only"): http://www.starsonice.com/the-skaters.html

ETA: Castelli/Shnapir are listed for 11 shows.

Edmunds currently is listed as one of the "Olympic Bronze medalists," oops! ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  13. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

OK, so I don't feel like I've been under a rock. :lol: Damn, now I'm probably going to need to get a ticket... ;)

14. love skating

love skating Clueless American

So those doing select cities are Jason, Max, Polina and C&S - while it looks like D&W, Ashley, Gracie, Jeremy, Mirai, Alissa, Ryan, N&B and Joshua are doing the whole tour. My stop I get Jason and Polina - no Max or C&S. I'm pretty happy with the cast!

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Shoot, no Jason Brown in Detroit, but we do get to see C&S and Max!

16. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

Interesting that Max is doing all the dates that Jason skips. Also, Polina is doing all the dates that C&S skip.

17. TanithandBenFan

What happened to Madi and Evan? :( They were in the original cast announcement.

18. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I hope the reason is that they haven't finalized their dates yet. :(

I get to see every skater/team except Max and Polina. Excited to see NavBoms and Alissa along with all the Olympians!

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Yay! We get Jason as our guest! I don't want to be greedy, but I wish we could have Max too. Love Nav/Boms & Alissa for Newark, NJ!

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'd rather Edmunds over C&S but that's cool too.

Good that we get Brown though.

21. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

So relieved my Newark show is the C/S and Jason rotation or I would be traveling to another city as they were my main two reasons for buying tickets. Polina was lovely in Boston but she's not a skater that's must see in shows for me just yet.

Was hoping Tanith and Ben might be guests for some dates but Kim and Brent will be good. I'm hoping the lack of Chock and Bates on the website is just because they're being slow at updating and finalizing dates. All the Olympians including Z/B should have at least been offered a few shows near their home or training bases. And I wish Cesario got the NY area shows because there's something so 90s show skating about her. Im thrilled Alissa is included.

Haven't seen any promotion of the tour here which is too bad. Hopefully DWTS will put it on people's radar.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Chock/Bates were included in the SOI U.S. Tour promo that was uploaded to YT on March 17: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SERa_Bx5dKo

However, Tanith Belbin mentioned on Universal Sports' Worlds Short Dance broadcast today that Chock/Bates (paraphrasing here) are going to forgo show opportunities in order to keep training for the new season.

23. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Can't one make a lotta $$$ doing SOI?

24. TanithandBenFan

:( Wish they could've at least done the Midwest stops. Wouldn't have taken that much time away from their training.

25. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

She might just have meant they were not doing as many shows as they had been offered, rather than none at all.

I would think the money from SOI would be too useful to them to forgo it altogether.

26. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I don't think SOI pays much any more. Skaters can get much more at 1 -3 performances in Japan or Korea than the entire SOI tour. It also chews up training time/prep for next year.

27. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Is Bates in class at Michigan this semester? It could be an issue of final exam schedule being an issue with SOI schedule. Just a thought...and, yup, the pay scale for SOI is NOT what used to be. Headliners (OLY/World medalists) are the only ones who make reasonable income/show. SOI struggles to fill even the smaller venues anymore.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Evan Bates graduated from Univ. of Michigan this past December.

29. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

Sorry.. this might be a stupid question but since I'm from the Philippines and we hardly ever have ice shows here except for Disney on Ice. How many performances does a skater usually do per show? Like how many group numbers and solo numbers?

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

It depends on the show. Usually the core cast does more than the guests, because they don't have time to oractice them. There's usually a big group number at the beginning and end of the first part, and at least a big group number at the end. Then there are shorter vignettes with smaller group. The corps cast usually does two solos each, one in each half, but not always everyone. The guests in the hows I've seen have one and then eventually join the final group number. I don't remember if they're part of the intros in the opening number.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014