Stars on Ice Cast Announced

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TanithandBenFan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Well, Katia, Ilia, the Kerrs, Joannie, Shawn, & Kurt were in last season's US tour (in Kurt's case , it was billed as his US farewell tour), so could this USFS agreement mean only US skaters in the US tour for the future? I hope not (don't get me wrong, I love to support the US skaters, and there are so many that I really like, but I still want to see an international mix for this tour).

2. PishPosh9

PishPosh9 New Member

Oh no, Steven Cousins is the ultimate toilet flusher :dog:

He must have one hell of a personality..:yawn:

3. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Are we going to have a situation like Evan's DWTS/SOI conflicts this year with Davis and White? Rumors have Meryl and Charlie doing DWTS. I remember when Evan did not appear in Boston in 2010 because he was on DWTS. There was a young boy with VIP tickets who was clearly there because Evan would be skating. He was so disappointed; I certainly understood how he felt.

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

While we go to see the entire cast of SOI each year, we would be very disappointed if Meryl & Charlie were not @ our stop. They are a big draw for us. I really wish that DWTS would wait until the fall, but I guess it's a case of "striking while the iron is hot."

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

From the tour dates and the run of DWTS, it looks like a complete overlap. If they don't get voted out early - both of them - I don't see how they can do this tour.

As a fan paying good money to see the country's only Olys Gold Medalists and World Champions who have been billed as headlining the show, I'd be really mad if they didn't show up. Fans are already disappointed in the lack of international skaters or even more well known American pros, so this will surely kill any hope of robust ticket sales.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Evan did DWTS and SOI at the same time, and DWTS used to have a more demanding schedule. I'm sure they have figured out a way.

7. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

It should be easier for Meryl and Charlie to do both. In 2010, DWTS aired two nights per week and the SOI tour had 40 cities. Evan had to miss the SOI shows that were on Sunday (camera blocking, costume fitting) & Monday & Tuesday (TV telecast).

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If "most of" the tour doesn't include the date where a fan has a ticket to the show, then it really doesn't matter. We all know that anything can happen, but it's one thing for a skater to miss a show due to injury - disappointing but understandable - but it's another for those skaters to be promoted as headliners and then to be told after tickets have been bought that the only true stars might have something better to do that night.

If this was the old days when the tour was packed with stars, unless you were an uber of one skater, seeing all the others would make up for it if one was missing. The cast used to include multiple Olys and World medalists who were also experienced pros who could put on a show, which back in those days was also well produced with full choreography, music, lighting, costumes, group numbers etc. But on this particular tour, I don't think the rest of the US team doing their exhibition numbers and a couple of simple group numbers is going to make up for D&W's credentials and star power.

I wonder if they tried to get some more US pros to join the tour to help with ticket sales and level of showmanship, as they've done for CSOI with Kurt, Joannie and Shawn. Even if V&M don't show up, much as I'd miss them, as a fan I'd still feel I was getting my money's worth.

Maybe the US tour is relying on special guests to make up the difference - but if they aren't announced with some notice, they aren't going to help much with ticket sales.

9. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

If Meryl and Charlie have to miss Sunday shows due to DWTS, the shows in the following cities fall on a Sunday:
    Orlando 4/6, Long Island 4/13, Detroit 4/27, St. Paul 5/4, San Jose 5/11 and Seattle 5/18

That is actually quite a few dates. So if you want to see them at SOI in one of those cities you have to hope they get voted out early.

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I had looked at Orlando. I won't be going now.

I can't blame them for choosing to do DWTS and I hope they make it all the way. It's a lot more publicity etc.. then a tour that hits so few cities and draws such small crowds. Maybe the truth is it's time for our tours to just slide away.

11. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

Wow I have tickets for one of those shows. We also bought the Meet and Greet tickets. I will be super-POed if M/C aren't there.

12. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Smart of them to clarify. But wow for D&W - performing most Fri/Sat/Sun nights and then flying back to LA to compete on Mondays? I guess they are confident they can do it, so good for them and even better for fans who want to see them live.

14. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

They won't be the first performers to do this. I think Donny Osmond did his Vegas shows throughout his stint. And I know other's have done concerts etc... Plus at least some of those SOI events are in CA so the commute might be easier :)

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

The Detroit show, at least, is at 4pm. So if you flew out right afterward, say on an 8pm flight, you'd be in LA well before midnight LA time (probably around midnight Detroit time). Or you just do the red-eye at midnight :yikes: (always a barrel of laughs)

16. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Glad to know that the plan is that they will be in every show. I noticed it said "headlining". Will they be like Evan in 2010 and performing solos but not in the ensemble numbers? That might make sense to conserve energy. I wonder if they will be training on ice for the show in LA or training for DWTS in Detroit? Inquiring minds want to know!!

17. Marina92

Marina92 New Member

I'm surprised that they will be touring in so few US cities. I live near CO Springs, the center of U.S. figure skating, and the tour is not coming anywhere close to CO. I can probably go to Canada for their show and it will be closer. Gone are the days when SOI was a huge tour with many international skaters. I remember seeing Yagudin on the tour about 12 years ago after he won the gold, and it was such a treat.

18. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Jason is listed as being in the cast (first post in this thread) but I dont see him anywhere on the SOI website. He is not one of the skaters who shows up in the cast list for each city. Anybody know what gives?

19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

There are multiple skaters not listed like Chock/Bates and Castelli/Shnapir. The site just doesn't seem to be updated very timely.

20. Spun Silver

Thanks, TBFan. So is he expected to perform in each city?

21. TanithandBenFan

Yes, the cast listed in the article is supposed to perform in each city. It said there would be additional special guests in various cities.

22. Spun Silver

GREAT. I didnt want to get all thrilled about seeing Jason for nothing so thank you for the assurance.

23. TanithandBenFan

Joshua Farris tweeted:

SWEET!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Jason AND Joshua? Darn, now I wish I could go!

25. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wow, this is gonna be really good. . . if it *has* to be only US skaters, they have some REALLY good ones!

26. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I'm glad Josh was added! I'm hoping this means there will be more people added as well, along with special guests depending on the location :) I have Detroit tickets so I'm hoping the Shibs will be one of those special guests, or maybe WeaPo?! (I can dream :lol:)

27. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Brown and Farris and Abbott, nice. I wish I could go! Hope there'll be videos.

28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Hmm, 2nd row on the end, 7th row close to the middle, or--for $30 less--11th row in a corner?

29. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Not sure why the tour is called "Stars on Ice" as it really is IMG Skaters on Ice show, as just about every skater listed is an IMG skater. Aaron has no professional manager and IIRC, Edmunds is with Fireworks. Not sure about Chock and Bates, but the Shibs are also with IMG. Wonder what kind of long term contract Bradley has with SOI...yes, he is a crowd pleaser, but not an Olympian. :-/. And, IIRC, Jason Brown has yet to sign with an agency.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I think we should wait and see if Jason will be performing in all 20 U.S. cities of the tour. He's guaranteed to be at his hometown stop though! :) He just tweeted this tonight: