Stars on Ice Cast Announced

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TanithandBenFan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Tickets went on sale on January 7. They just announced the cast yesterday.
  2. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Mirai skated the full SOI tour after the 2010 Olympics. She finished the long Olympic season with a stress fracture in her foot.

In case you haven't noticed audiences typically like Mirai. It is mostly US Skating that she needs better relations with.
  3. b-man

b-man Active Member

Thanks, that explains it.
  4. b-man

b-man Active Member

Mirai did part of the tour in 2010, not the whole tour. SOI came to my city in 2010 without Mirai, I had to go a couple hundred miles to see an SOI show with her.
  5. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Fans love Ryan Bradley and his backflips. He is a really good show skater. He is also a former US Champion, so not such a small name.
  6. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

The show is about making money, so if Ryan can draw fans, why not? Stars on Ice isn't an Olympic tour.
  7. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

When I attended Skate America, they announced that they were selling tickets for SOI in Detroit at the box office. At that time, it was the only SOI tour date announced.
  8. b-man

b-man Active Member

Yes, I was at SA also, I guess 4 months ago I wasn't even thinking about SOI. I don't like buying tickets with no idea who will be performing.
  9. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

How sad that the only figure skating tour in America skips most of it. That's a sure fire way to not draw in new fans. Was that the plan? It's working....
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I remember hearing that Plushy's original plans for his post-retirement KOI tour included America.

I wonder how that would have gone?
  11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Considering that last year, SOI only had shows in 5 U.S. cities, I think that 20 is an improvement. SOI isn't a charitable, non-for-profit run only to "draw in new fans" -- it has to be able to at least support itself, if not make some sort of profit. They are probably offering as many performances as they can afford.
  12. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

I saw Macy's listed next to IMG on the website, are they sponsoring the tour this year?
  13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

My godchildren are up near Hershey. I'd love to go up and take them, but that would be pretty pricey. Maybe I'll start saving now so we can all go next year. :)
  14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

In 2011 Kozuka and Ando joined CSOI at least in Vancouver and maybe in Victoria.

I'm very disappointed that M-T/M won't be on CSOI. I may skip it this year.
  15. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

Maybe they still will be - or at least in selected cities - CSOI often announces additional appearances, don't they?
  16. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I stopped going to CSOI once the international stars became less prominent. I liked seeing the best, not just Canada's best.... and yes, we often have excellent skaters, but I like a good mix.
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Usually when the skaters are locals, and M-T/M are local to Ontario. I remember seeing Sandhu in Vancouver after his eligible career. If they add in Firus for Vancouver, I'll reconsider.
  18. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

If that's all they can afford that's even sadder.
    I'm tired of watching skating on the internet. But its hella cheaper than what it costs to get to the real thang.
    I think the last time I saw live skating was....so long ago I can't remember :p
    SOI is not the only one who can't afford it....
  19. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

The Canadian cast looks great! I'd love to see the Kerrs or Javier Fernandez added in though :)
  20. sandi

sandi New Member

Perhaps she will in San Jose since she trains and lives in San Jose.
  21. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

They say that some skaters will make special appearances, maybe Polina will do a few shows.

Several special guests will also make appearances throughout the tour.
  22. PishPosh9

PishPosh9 New Member

Remember when Champions on Ice had ALL the medalists, regardless of what country they were from? Russian, Canadian, etc etc?!? How cool would it be to see everyone from Sochi? Those days are sadly gone..

I'll take Mirai over Gracie and Ashley. I'd like to see Jeremy and Jason..too bad Z&B werent invited, they are terrific. Probably wont spend $$ on this though.

ETA- I just visited the website, and the cast pictured from previous years looks a lot better than this one. (S&P, the Kerrs, Tanith and Ben, even good ol' Mikey Weiss) I have to say Wagner is probably the most overwhelmingly mediocre US lady ever made out to be a "star"..and Gracie is pretty unlikable. And they both paled to the big guns in Sochi. Meh...
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Where are the non-American skaters? Boo! I remember when the post-Olympic or post-Worlds Collins tours used to always include the international eligible stars from all four disciplines. Where are the gold medalists of the other 3 divisions (other than Dance): Adelina, Volo/Trankov & Hanyu?

I remember the 2010 SOI tour in DC (Verizon Center) when Mirai -- then in her absolute prime -- fell twice while performing her 'Pirates' SP and did not smile a single moment. That's the last time that I bothered going to SOI, not that there's been much opportunity to attend subsequent editions in my area.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  24. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

I don't think SOI can even afford the Russian and Japanese skaters these days cause they have much more lucrative opportunities in their own countries where skating is very popular. They definitely cannot afford Yuna or Mao.
  25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

"Mediocre" is probably a bit harsh but I agree that there's no one here with true "star power". Gold MAY get there one day but that is years off. I don't find her particularly appealing or likeable either, but we are in the vast minority. Most of the public seems to love her judging from comments and tweets.

I still root for her though as she is American, probably our best shot at getting back onto the world podium. It's been a ridiculously long time now.
  26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's a really good point. Even minor European skaters can get better money doing Asian tours.
  27. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Maybe mediocre is harsh just as redemption (heard every 30 seconds on NBC during Wagner's performances in Sochi)) was overly generous.

I am trying hard to like Gracie but at this point I like Polina better.
  28. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

The last internationally represented tour was like the post-SLC era I think when you had Yagudin and B/S along with the NA Olympic champs. By the time Torino came around, things had clearly shifted and most of the Russians were moving back to capitalize on the huge popularity there.
  29. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Yes. Polina Edwards is a much bigger name now that she has competed in the Olympics.
  30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Firus now lives and trains full time in Colorado. Not to say he wouldn't come up if asked, but it would not be as easy as when he was living and training in Vancouver.
  31. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

The return to Russia happened a bit later. At least for 2006, Totmianina & Marinin and Plushenko - newly crowned Olympic champions - were part of the COI cast. I think Slutskaya was as well.
  32. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Yes, Irina was on the 06 tour.
  33. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Wonder why Evan is not on the list? Johnny weir too is a great show skater and was widely popular with his commentary.
  34. seabm7

seabm7 Member

Evan left IMG after his last SOI tour. He wanted to go back to competitions and was not interested in ice shows. I wonder what he will do now.
  35. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

Whatever it is, I imagine it involves tanning.
    LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  36. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that next season (as long as SOI continues) that the US & Canadian tours won't overlap, and that SOI will go back to having an international cast. It may be that this season they are focusing mostly on the skaters who competed at the Olympics/will compete @ Worlds. While we always look forward to attending SOI, we do like to see the Canadian and other international skaters in the cast as well as our American ones.
  37. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Lately, the Canadian cast has been better than the US one.

Evan's a name skater, and could really have helped US SOI stay viable. Instead, he nailed the lid on that coffin.
  38. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Woohoo Mirai... and they are coming to San Diego, double woohoo!
  39. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

There are no non-US or professional skaters because this tour is in partnership with USFS to promote their current skaters - it was announced a year ago - IMG, US Figure Skating partnering on tour for the first time

Not sure if there's a similar deal with Skate Canada, but might be since CSOI is all Canadian skaters. Not all current, but there might have been a leftover deal with Kurt, Joannie and Shaun.
  40. seabm7

seabm7 Member

They have sponsors (Investors Group, Lindt) for CSOI, so a deal with Skate Canada may not be necessary. My guess is IMG had to go to USFS since they could not find a sponsor for the US part of the tour.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014