Stars on Ice Cast Announced

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TanithandBenFan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Can someone explain the Ryan Bradley inclusion? I enjoyed him as a skater but he's not a huge name and since the cast is skewing current (specifically this Olympic cycle), why him over say Max (especially with Mirai included as sort of the just missed the team choice) or Adam who is an IMG client?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sounds like a lot better cast than what we have seen in recent years. There will not be a show in Phoenix. I may go to San Jose; the show happens to be on my birthday, so I may be able to convince my brother to go there with me.

3. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

What's the point of having an SOI show if they don't include fan favorites like Ryan and Mirai?

A few people have asked "where are the Intl stars" and it's possible they are skating at shows at home for bigger paydays and with less travel involved.

Of course I wish I could see Mao or Yuna (and many others) but wouldn't expect them to intentionally lose money just to skate in USA.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

There is not currently a show in Phoenix shown on the schedule -- several in southern California appear to be the closest.

5. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I understand the appeal. But its just he's kind of an oddity on the list. You have the Olympic bronze medal team, Olympians Chock & Bates, Mirai (who just missed the team and who USFS kind of owed one), and then Ryan Bradley who was not at all in the Olympic mix. If you had Tanith & Ben, Czisny etc., I would get it more but he's just kind of the one lone random noncompetitor inclusion.

6. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that Jason won't be doing the Chicago stop, since it's his hometown...never been to any ice skating show in my life, but I may shell out the monies for this.

7. Vash01

I had already edited my post after checking out the SOI website, so you can delete your post. :)

8. Vash01

Happy to see Mirai on the list. It will really help her develop her artistry and the ability to relate to the audience.

9. b-man

b-man Active Member

Just ordered tickets for Detroit. Amazing, on what I guess is the first day, so many seats are not available already. I am in the fourth row. I know the big tour groups get blocks of reserved seats for Nationals, didn't know they did it for SOI.

10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Tickets have been on sale since the week of Nationals. They only just announced the full cast yesterday.

I'll be at the Hershey show - not happy that I have to drive over an hour but excited to see D/W and the other Olympians. If I had my choice, I would rather see Adam than Ryan, but Ryan does have a nat'l title, plus he has been part of SOI before, plus he fills the Scott Hamilton role (goofball entertainer).

11. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Tickets went on sale on January 7. They just announced the cast yesterday.

12. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Mirai skated the full SOI tour after the 2010 Olympics. She finished the long Olympic season with a stress fracture in her foot.

In case you haven't noticed audiences typically like Mirai. It is mostly US Skating that she needs better relations with.

13. b-man

b-man Active Member

Thanks, that explains it.

14. b-man

b-man Active Member

Mirai did part of the tour in 2010, not the whole tour. SOI came to my city in 2010 without Mirai, I had to go a couple hundred miles to see an SOI show with her.

15. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Fans love Ryan Bradley and his backflips. He is a really good show skater. He is also a former US Champion, so not such a small name.

16. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

The show is about making money, so if Ryan can draw fans, why not? Stars on Ice isn't an Olympic tour.

17. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

When I attended Skate America, they announced that they were selling tickets for SOI in Detroit at the box office. At that time, it was the only SOI tour date announced.

18. b-man

b-man Active Member

Yes, I was at SA also, I guess 4 months ago I wasn't even thinking about SOI. I don't like buying tickets with no idea who will be performing.

19. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

How sad that the only figure skating tour in America skips most of it. That's a sure fire way to not draw in new fans. Was that the plan? It's working....

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. misskarne

misskarne #408

I remember hearing that Plushy's original plans for his post-retirement KOI tour included America.

I wonder how that would have gone?

21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Considering that last year, SOI only had shows in 5 U.S. cities, I think that 20 is an improvement. SOI isn't a charitable, non-for-profit run only to "draw in new fans" -- it has to be able to at least support itself, if not make some sort of profit. They are probably offering as many performances as they can afford.

22. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I saw Macy's listed next to IMG on the website, are they sponsoring the tour this year?

23. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

My godchildren are up near Hershey. I'd love to go up and take them, but that would be pretty pricey. Maybe I'll start saving now so we can all go next year. :)

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

In 2011 Kozuka and Ando joined CSOI at least in Vancouver and maybe in Victoria.

I'm very disappointed that M-T/M won't be on CSOI. I may skip it this year.

25. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Maybe they still will be - or at least in selected cities - CSOI often announces additional appearances, don't they?

26. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I stopped going to CSOI once the international stars became less prominent. I liked seeing the best, not just Canada's best.... and yes, we often have excellent skaters, but I like a good mix.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Usually when the skaters are locals, and M-T/M are local to Ontario. I remember seeing Sandhu in Vancouver after his eligible career. If they add in Firus for Vancouver, I'll reconsider.

28. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

If that's all they can afford that's even sadder.
    I'm tired of watching skating on the internet. But its hella cheaper than what it costs to get to the real thang.
    I think the last time I saw live skating was....so long ago I can't remember :p
    SOI is not the only one who can't afford it....

29. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

The Canadian cast looks great! I'd love to see the Kerrs or Javier Fernandez added in though :)

30. sandi

sandi New Member

Perhaps she will in San Jose since she trains and lives in San Jose.