Stars on Ice Cast Announced

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TanithandBenFan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

http://www.starsonice.com/news.html?n_id=432

2. seabm7

seabm7 Member

The Japanese part of the tour has been announced, too.
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/tokyo.html#player
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/nagoya.html#player
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/osaka.html#player

Buttle, Rochette, Arakawa, Oda, Asada, Suzuki, Murakami, Virtue & Moir, Shibutani & Shibutani, Reed & Reed, and Takahashi & Kihara

The Canadian part has been announced quite a while ago:
    http://www.starsonice.ca/the-skaters.html
    Chan, Virtue & Moir, Browning, Rochette, Buttle, Duhamel & Radford, Osmond, Weaver & Poje, and Sawyer.
  3. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Still ticked that the tour does not come to a city within driving distance for me. Booooo
    ArtisticFan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I haven't been to an SOI show in several years. Do they still do the big production numbers with the whole cast (circa 1990s), or is it more like COI was in that the skaters just bring their exhibition programs?
  5. seabm7

seabm7 Member

That would depends on how much training time they would have between the Worlds and the tour.

Last year, the US part of the tour consisted of professionals. The Canadian tour was held after the Worlds. IIRC, they had two openings, one final, and some ensemble numbers in between.

http://kurtfiles.com/pics/event.php?id=2013/Anaheim Stars on Ice (US)

http://kurtfiles.com/pics/event.php?id=2013/Hamilton Stars on Ice (Canada)
  6. rosewood

rosewood plants lover

7. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Very happy for the additions to the US cast! It is a shame that there are still parts of the US that don't get the tour anywhere within a reasonable traveling distance.
  8. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I will be front row center on opening night of the Canadian tour and will be blogging about it all!
  9. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:)
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  10. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I wish there was some cast mingling between the US and Canadian tours! I'm in the US, but I'd love to see Buttle, Chan, Virtue/Moir, Rochette.
  11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I feel, but with the overlap of the tours, that won't be the case for this season. :(
  12. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Boooo, no Edmunds but Nagasu instead. Boo.
  13. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

because you would have gone to see it if Polina were in it? :p
  14. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

Are non-North American skaters boycotting the tour or something? The last time I went to CSOI the only non-Canadian skater was Sasha Cohen, and I was very disappointed with the lack of elite international headliners (which, if I'm paying $100 a ticket, I want to see).
  15. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Good question. Even if I understand that Japanese skaters (for example) would be really difficult to obtain on a North American tour, I've never understood the dynamics between the US and Canadian tours.
  16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

So does all the named cast go to all the shows? Because when I look at the Chicago show, and it says "see the skaters" I click and there is no Jason Brown.
    I'm not spending like $500 (2 tickets, hotel room, gas) if he's not supposed to be there.
  17. lauren329

lauren329 Member

Not surprised Polina isn't on the list as the tour is in April and she'll have missed a lot of school with Worlds & Olympics. If there is a stop local to her, I'm sure she might perform as a guest.

I was sad but not entirely surprised to see that Z/B were not on the list but very surprised to see the Shibs with their Internet following and their MJ program that seems made for SOI not in the cast. The team event was great for those who got medals but its almost like we had 2 teams- the Olympic team and the more exclusive team event medal team. But Chock & Bates at least got the tour. I guess they are IMG clients? Good for them.

I was initially surprised to see Mirai on the list but this was probably the carrot USFS offered her in exchange for her PC statement the night of the team announcement.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  18. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I'm surprised about the Shibs too, but maybe school was a factor for them as well (I have no idea how many courses they're taking atm or if they took the whole semester off)
  19. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Yeah, there is a dilution of skaters that makes attending the US tours less appealing. In recent years, the only tour that seemed to generate significant international presence was the Korean one. Though now, the Russian tours likely have enough name skaters in Russia alone to make that tour wildly popular.
  20. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

A lot fewer towns than in its heyday.
  21. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I have my eye on Providence. I'm really excited to see these skaters. Sure its not Champions on Ice in its heyday, but its something fun!
  22. seabm7

seabm7 Member

At least the Shibutanis are going to the Japan tour.
  23. fan

fan Active Member

disappointed moore-towers and moscovitch wont be in the canadian tour, but i can understand as they're not represented by IMG
  24. seabm7

seabm7 Member

A while ago, there was a news report that IMG made a deal with the USFS on a US tour. The report did not say which ice shows they were referring to. For the last several years, the US part of SOI could not find a sponsor and has been struggling. My suspicion is that USFS will do promotion for the tour, while SOI will focus on US skaters.
  25. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

Yeah, SOI is turning into a protectionist version of the Collins tour...... quite disappointing.
  26. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:huh: I have no idea what that means.

I'm glad that there are at least more than a handful of shows for ANY skaters to be able to perform after the season and earn some $$ and for figure skating fans to be able to see live skating.
  27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Ah, that makes sense. I was hoping to see them too - but otherwise the CSOI cast is pretty good and I'm not complaining :)
  28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My thought, as well.
  29. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

So Yuna isn't invited to any of the SOI? how about the Russian skaters? I would rather see Lipnitskaya, Mao and Yuna than.. some of the US skaters.
  30. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

I meant it's becoming a US-only (or Canada-only) version of the Collins "Champions on Ice" tour, where you get to see the one country's latest medal winners, not necessarily seasoned pros.
  31. lauren329

lauren329 Member

Can someone explain the Ryan Bradley inclusion? I enjoyed him as a skater but he's not a huge name and since the cast is skewing current (specifically this Olympic cycle), why him over say Max (especially with Mirai included as sort of the just missed the team choice) or Adam who is an IMG client?
  32. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot better cast than what we have seen in recent years. There will not be a show in Phoenix. I may go to San Jose; the show happens to be on my birthday, so I may be able to convince my brother to go there with me.
  33. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

What's the point of having an SOI show if they don't include fan favorites like Ryan and Mirai?

A few people have asked "where are the Intl stars" and it's possible they are skating at shows at home for bigger paydays and with less travel involved.

Of course I wish I could see Mao or Yuna (and many others) but wouldn't expect them to intentionally lose money just to skate in USA.
  34. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

There is not currently a show in Phoenix shown on the schedule -- several in southern California appear to be the closest.
  35. lauren329

lauren329 Member

I understand the appeal. But its just he's kind of an oddity on the list. You have the Olympic bronze medal team, Olympians Chock & Bates, Mirai (who just missed the team and who USFS kind of owed one), and then Ryan Bradley who was not at all in the Olympic mix. If you had Tanith & Ben, Czisny etc., I would get it more but he's just kind of the one lone random noncompetitor inclusion.
  36. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that Jason won't be doing the Chicago stop, since it's his hometown...never been to any ice skating show in my life, but I may shell out the monies for this.
  37. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I had already edited my post after checking out the SOI website, so you can delete your post. :)
  38. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Happy to see Mirai on the list. It will really help her develop her artistry and the ability to relate to the audience.
  39. b-man

b-man Active Member

Just ordered tickets for Detroit. Amazing, on what I guess is the first day, so many seats are not available already. I am in the fourth row. I know the big tour groups get blocks of reserved seats for Nationals, didn't know they did it for SOI.
  40. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Tickets have been on sale since the week of Nationals. They only just announced the full cast yesterday.

I'll be at the Hershey show - not happy that I have to drive over an hour but excited to see D/W and the other Olympians. If I had my choice, I would rather see Adam than Ryan, but Ryan does have a nat'l title, plus he has been part of SOI before, plus he fills the Scott Hamilton role (goofball entertainer).